How soon to get another dog?

I lost my darling little doxiepoo right after Christmas. My first instict was to be dogless for a while knowing that I will eventually get another one. But after have at least one dog for about 20 years, I thought taking a break would be a good thing. It hasn't even been a week and I find myself constantly checking out petfinder.com and shopping for a rescue. What are your opinions on how soon to get another dog?

When you realize you're looking for a new dog, not replacing your old dog. :goodvibes

I went through this too after we lost our Minky in April. At first I didn't want anymore dogs. Then I went through a long period of looking at Petfinder. i volunteered at an animal shelter for awhile. I kept being drawn back to dogs that were similar to Minky and I realized that i wasn't ready to move on--I was trying to replace him with a similar model. But dogs, like people, are individuals. I know now that if I got a new dog I would be comparing him to Minky, who was a remarkable dog. I need to wait until I am ready for a new dog, a *particular* dog who I can love and make memories with independent of my memories of Minky. Am I making sense?

I have chosen not to have another dog for the time being. My life is undergoing some very big changes right now and it wouldn't be fair to a rescue dog(or any dog!) to adopt him when there is so much up in the air. When the dust clears, maybe I'll be ready to open my heart to a new doggy. Until then, I am staying off Petfinder. :laughing: It makes me want to adopt, but for all the wrong reasons.

Just by asking this question - you have already expressed interest in having another dog to love.

I'm so sorry that you lost your sweet dog. I know how much it hurts.

When you get your new baby - you will never stop loving your last one. The memories of your other dog will live on forever. The memories you make with your new dog will live on forever also. Maybe he/she can ease your hurt.

We only lasted 2 weeks this past winter when we lost our dog. We have an 11 month old right now. And - yes - he's making lots of memories, too. You won't love your other pet less by owning another - it just shows how much you and your pet meant to each other. :goodvibes

Everyone is different. With you checking the website for rescue dogs, it looks like you're ready. :)

I've found that even though you lose a beloved pet, your heart just expands to let another one in. :)

I totally agree, if you are looking your are ready. Sometimes it helps to lessen the heartache. We have always said we'd wait awhile, and it never happens.

Sorry about your fur baby OP.

I myself have gone all over the timeline board.

From a week(this was actually now exdh's idea as we had DD was only a couple months old and he wanted her to grow up with a dog, we ended up with a pup about a month younger then her and they literally grew up together.

I've gone a couple months to a year.

it doesn't matter how fast or how long, getting a new pet doesn't discount the love you had for the previous one.

When you realize you're looking for a new dog, not replacing your old dog. :goodvibes

I went through this too after we lost our Minky in April. At first I didn't want anymore dogs. Then I went through a long period of looking at Petfinder. i volunteered at an animal shelter for awhile. I kept being drawn back to dogs that were similar to Minky and I realized that i wasn't ready to move on--I was trying to replace him with a similar model. But dogs, like people, are individuals. I know now that if I got a new dog I would be comparing him to Minky, who was a remarkable dog. I need to wait until I am ready for a new dog, a *particular* dog who I can love and make memories with independent of my memories of Minky. Am I making sense?

I have chosen not to have another dog for the time being. My life is undergoing some very big changes right now and it wouldn't be fair to a rescue dog(or any dog!) to adopt him when there is so much up in the air. When the dust clears, maybe I'll be ready to open my heart to a new doggy. Until then, I am staying off Petfinder. :laughing: It makes me want to adopt, but for all the wrong reasons.

Yes, you make perfect sense. I completely understand and feel the same way. :goodvibes

We have always had more than one dog, so when one passed we still had one or two at home and I never felt the urgency to try and fill the "hole". That being said-we had dogs that grieved in big ways and bringing home a puppy really helped everyone! It was always dictated by the whole family-once, the dog DH got me for our first anniversery died and I was totally grief stricken-he called a breeder and took me there ASAP-I was just going to" look"-all it took was one look and that puppy was MY dog-and it turned out she was born on our anniversay! In November of 2010 our 7 year old spaniel died (after a 2 week illness that she spent in and out of ICU). We had 2 dogs at home-a 13 year old lab with cancer and a 3 year old spaniel so I wanted to just let the dust settle (and recover financially). We lasted until March when DH went to a rescue event and found a 3 year old Plott/Lab mix. She came home, settled in, and has just rounded out the family-like she was always here. She adores me, is very concerned about the older dog and plays nicely with the spaniel. Somehow, it just happens-and is right. It may take a week, a month or a year, but I believe the right dog will find you. You will know which dog it is because you will see it in their eyes-they will speak to your heart.

I have both dogs and cats, while I have not lost a dog of my own yet I did lose a cat 2 years ago, I had three others so I wasn't going to get another one, well I swore I wouldn't and about 6 weeks later I was in the store where I buy my pet food and they rescue cats on occasion and adopt them out, well I saw one that melted my heart and a week later she was in my house. I felt guilty like I was somehow disrespecting the memory of my deceased cat until my sister said to me, you are not replacing him, you are giving another cat a chance to have the same good life the cat that died had. I was good with that and the cat is just a joy.

Another dog will choose you when the time is right.

My old co worker lost her lab at 14 she waited about a year and when she finally got a new dog she said she wished she had not waited so long it was so nice to have a dog in the house again.
Right now I have two labs one is 8 and one is 2. The 2 year old has kidney failure and we know he won't have a long lifespan. I can see us getting another lab pretty quickly if something were to happen to either of them.

OP, so sorry for your loss. :hug:

We're on our first set of dogs now, and I absolutely dread the day this happens...my puppies are my babies. Although we've already agreed to not get anymore dogs until both are....gone.

Even though I don't really know how I would react, I imagine I'll take it pretty hard at least with our older dog, as he is our first ever...

A friend of mine who's dog passed said her mother took it pretty hard. Just months after their dog passed the mother would go to rescues and look at dogs...within seconds she was in tears running out to the parking lot. It took her about 2 years before she was ready for another dog.

Everyone is different, you'll know when you're ready.

diznee25

OP, so sorry for your loss. :hug:

We're on our first set of dogs now, and I absolutely dread the day this happens...my puppies are my babies. Although we've already agreed to not get anymore dogs until both are....gone.

diznee25

I don't know that you can really make that agreement at this point. You might be surprised how lonely your other dog will be when one passes.
We had a golden retriever, and we later inherited a tiny rat terrier puppy. She came to our house in September, and our golden had to be put to sleep 2 months later. She was sooooooooooo lonely. She would run all over the house trying to find him. Even though they were only together two months, she missed him terribly. We ended up buying another puppy eventually because she really missed her playmate.

You'll know when the time is right for *you*.
Our first dog we waited at least a year before getting another. 2nd dog was lost/stolen at about 8 months old. Almost a year later we decided to start looking for another dog. Lost/stolen dog was found literally the next day.
When she passed it was about 2 months later that we got our current dog.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter