• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much do you spend on birthday party gifts for kids?

My limit is $15.00 unless both of my children are going to the party then I will go up to about $25.00.

Between $15 and $30 in retail value. I buy things on clearance or on sale and stock up.

I have a gift shelf in my closet. ;)

I try to pick gifts the parents will like (not toys - as a mom to 5, I'm overwhelmed here). We have 5 parties this month, so I bought everyone a beach towel, sunglasses, and water soaker balls. I also do cute jammies/slippers, or bathsuits/flip flops. I had to laugh when someone gave my twins, the youngest of 5, candyland and shoots and ladders. Um, I think every household with children has these games. :rotfl2: It's hard to know what they have already, so I steer away from the toys/games.

Those are great ideas! We only have 2 children (ages 2 and 6) but we are filled to the brim with toys! DS6 has his birthday party tomorrow and I relly didn't know what to tell people when they asked me what he likes. He has WAY TOO much stuff as it is. I love ideas you mentioned and will definately do that for the party we are going to next weekend!

My boys are 9 and 13, and the parties have really slowed down. Thank goodness!! We still buy for their good friends, and I try to keep it at $10 a gift. With prices increasing, I've spent up to $15. It's the thought that counts, not how much you've spent on the gift.

Well my wife spent $800 on my lil boy 3 year old party. I didnt agree with that. As for a gift I figure $15-20.

I love to give unusual gifts for birthday parties, meaning gifts that wouldn't be duplicated during the gift opening. Two big successes were a nicer nativity for a 10-year-old girl and a pet bed/dog toy/bag of doggie treats for a 9-year-old boy with a new puppy that was the light of his life. Gift certificates to Barnes & Noble go over big, too, but I feel a little awkward having them know exactly how much I "spent."

I spend about $15 on friends and $20 or less on cousins.

My kids are 6 and 4. Legos, Webkinz, Polly Pockets, and Age Appropriate Computer Games (the "I Spy" ones are great... I get them from Overstock) are gifts that we've given in the last year or two.

Well I have decided to have mine at home. I have no problem cleaning up afterwards.

My son's 4th bday is June 3 and having party at home on June 1st. Hungry Howies is having a special for customers 1 topping pizzas for $2.50 (something like that). I am making his cake and having a Transformer sheet topper made and place it myself.

I bought some arts and crafts at Targets dollar section. Instead of getting goody bags. I'm not going big on decorations other than a Transformers table cover and a few balloons. He doesn't care.

We are setting up our pool and slip and slide as well.
So I don't see myself self spending over $100 on the entire party...including gifts. He's easy. :)

I feel the same way as the OP about thinking I need to add more or spend more. I need to keep telling myself that it's not true. DD (12) and DS (9) both had 2 parties this weekend. They are both at parties as I'm typing this.

I think between the two of them I've bought about 20 birthday gifts for friends since March and it really adds up. When they were little, I could easily get away with buying stuff on clearance that were really good gifts. When they are older, they have specific wants. We give $25 each for DD's close friend and $15 - $20 for not so close. Sometimes I find cute sale items and don't do a gift card. At the end of summer last year I bought some tote/beach bags at Hollister marked down to $9.99 and Hollister flip flops also at $9.99. I put those together as a gift for about 4 parties. Those were a big hit, so when the bags go clearance this time (In August), I'm going to stock up.

We've also had graduations this week. DD's coaches who graduated from college today each got $25 Kohl's giftcards, but I know some parents who gave them $100 each. I felt like our gift wasn't going to stand up to that, but resisted the urge to spend more only to keep up with the Jones's. Like the OP said, more gifts should not equal more love.

We try to stick with a $15 gift card for most..a little something extra for DDs close friends.

Crissi

it really depends.. but Id say around $15 for a gift.. Occasionally I have spent closer to $20.. sometimes it just depends on what gift is chosen..

We went to a birthday party for twin girls age 6 today.
Call me cheap or call me thrify, but friends I spend 10 and sometimes less with a clearance deal.

gave them each a doodle pet that I spent 2.50 each for that orig. price was $10 each.
Then I gave them a combined gift - Slurpee Machine that I paid $5 for, value $20.

Actually spent total of $10 for the two girls' gifts.

They love the gifts. DOnt' worry. you bought enough. Really is the thought and not quantity. I was so glad to see others that this birthday party that didn't spend an arm and a leg. Simple gifts of lip gloss, nail polish and a hairbow made the little girls smile.

Enjoy the party and don't worry.
Pam
Target Clearance shopper!

I usually spend $10-15 for school mates, and $30 for close friends. Toys these days are so cheaply made and expensive, a $30 toy looks like it cost $5 if you know what I mean.

I try to find games on sale or clearance (I once found a $30 spiderman monopoly game on clearance for $5, and KB had regular monopoly (marked $14.99) for $2 during the after thanksgiving sales), so I buy that stuff and put it away for classmates' parties.

This may sound terrible, but I will also put away toys my kids don't like that they received for birthdays and holidays (the ones without gift receipts), and use those for gifts for classmates (not close friends).

It completely depends on the kid. If it's just a friend between $15-$20, and family usually $30-$50. However, if I find a great gift on clearance that's what I get. My mom always told me it's not the gift but the thought that matters, so I am trying to teach my daughters that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter