How long before they stop letting people share?

Since I don't really know what we're disagreeing about I don't know which one of us is being insulting or silly.

1) Do you have any question that I accurately quoted the applicable section of the brochure that's supplied to guests when they check in? I'm insulted if that's your point.

2) Do you have any question that the term "snacks" gives the guests a lot of latitude? I will say a small number of guests seem to be exceeding even a liberal interpretation of that term but most don't.

3) Do you think Disney is entitled to contradict posted policy via emails to those few guests who make an inquiry?

I don't know what we're disagreeing about. Now if the posted policy was silent on the issue we'd something to discuss. Your points are generally logical. I can't see any logical way you can think a private email can contradict posted policy.

I'll agree my PLR analogy might be a reach. Instead just call it "secret" rule. Your email isn't available to the general public and the policy that is available to the general public says the exact opposite.

You can do a check as many current brochures, online or printed, as you want. General restrictions on outside food are long gone.

It is interesting that Disney's rules go so far as to ban torn clothing.

I thought Disney used to have rules against outside food. I don't know if I was mistaken or if Disney changed the rules to allow it.

It's interesting the rules on Disney's website goes so far as to ban torn clothing.

I think you're just being silly, now Lewis, not to mention insulting. You don't get to talk to me about ethics, when I know that what I'm doing is perfectly ethical. It's a cheap attempt to distract attention away (but from what I don't know). You and I disagree; let's not make it into something nasty.

Let's agree to disagree, and move on. You go on believing that Disney always prints all its policies in the available brochures, and I'll go on believing that Disney often is inconsistent about doing so.

I think that is how they would implement it. Having a plate fee or just telling someone that they can't share can cause confrontation with CM's and Disney seems to seek to avoid that.

I honestly don't see Disney doing away with sharing all together. I can see them at select places implementing a policy that in essence does the same thing.

I agree, and I am ok with that. As long as you know up front what the costs and policies are you can make a decision that suits your family. For example, I agonized over going to 'Ohana since both of our children had to pay adult price, and I really didn't want to have to pay that much money for them to go an basically eat the meat and wontons. In the end, I decided to consider the value of the entertainment instead of just the cost for some food, so we kept our ADR and had a great time. As it happens, our waitress overheard our son telling us he didn't like the potatoes (I knew he wouldn't) and she OFFERED to get him something from Kona. He got some chicken strips which he shared with his sister so in the end, we all left full and satified. That is just another example of how Disney is prepared to lose revenue (on the chicken strips) to create goodwill for the customer. A meal that was going to be a "once in a lifetime" experience is now almost assuredly going to be a "must do" on our next trip. (I will not expect our server to get something else for my children than what we are paying for.)

As long as the cost and expectations are spelled out ahead of time, I have no issue with any policies Disney implements. I can chose to patronize the restaurants or not, as I see fit.

We were on DDP 17th-22nd Dec and staying at POR. Children are 10, 14 and 17. So we had paid for 5 full price DDPs for 5 nights. As we were moving accommodations on the 22nd we planned to stretch the DDP over the Friday, and to use 3-4 credits at each meal (except buffets) As we were not exploiting child credits, and it had been confirmed when making ADRs that this was fine, we booked our meals. We had no problems except at Spoodles, they wanted us to order five meals, as we had reserved 5 seats. We were made to feel very uncomfortable. There is no way any of us can or should eat all that food, one day fine, we just wanted to make it stretch over the 6th day, as it was a lot with all of us counting as adults.

Everywhere in the States lets you share, in my experience, we weren't sharing just 1 meal between 2, and the tip will still be huge ordering 4 mesals, we would order far less if we were paying, and less tip too as a result!

We did only order the 4 meals, but it spoilt the meal being made to feel we were "cheating" the system.

That's a shame:confused3 On my trip we will also be sharing at Le Cellier, Mama Melrose, and PT 50s (Ill order an additional ap or entree, and a drink for myself) This will allow us a nice breakfast or lunch on our departure day. Besides, we never order 3 aps and 3 desserts when dining out. Its usually just one, and an entee each (or just a soup or ap if we arent *that* hungry)As far as tips go, we usuallly tip 20% of our bill. Unless our server goes out of their way to do something extrordinary, we tip basen on what we order. The exception is when DD or DH and I eat at the counter at an ice cream shop, and share (Ill tip a bit extra) or at Dunkin Dounuts (I will usually leave more than 20% of a $6 bill:rolleyes:

We were on DDP 17th-22nd Dec and staying at POR. Children are 10, 14 and 17. So we had paid for 5 full price DDPs for 5 nights. As we were moving accommodations on the 22nd we planned to stretch the DDP over the Friday, and to use 3-4 credits at each meal (except buffets) As we were not exploiting child credits, and it had been confirmed when making ADRs that this was fine, we booked our meals. We had no problems except at Spoodles, they wanted us to order five meals, as we had reserved 5 seats. We were made to feel very uncomfortable. There is no way any of us can or should eat all that food, one day fine, we just wanted to make it stretch over the 6th day, as it was a lot with all of us counting as adults.

Everywhere in the States lets you share, in my experience, we weren't sharing just 1 meal between 2, and the tip will still be huge ordering 4 mesals, we would order far less if we were paying, and less tip too as a result!

We did only order the 4 meals, but it spoilt the meal being made to feel we were "cheating" the system.

Friends of ours who ate at Flying Fish in December reported the same thing. They were 4 "adults" (a 10 and 12 year old) and said the server said they had to order 4 meals. They did, because they felt uncomfortable. I think they wanted to split the new york strip between the 2 kids or something, but didn't really go into it once the CM said they had to order 4 meals. I felt a little bad because, I suggested this restaurant to them. It's one of my most favorites. In their case, they wern't trying to "save" credits, so they didn't really care. They just ordered each kid an entree. I think her husband ended up finishing one kids steak, so he was okay with it. Her kids didn't really want to share anyway, so they were okay with it. :goodvibes

Sharing could be changed because of the time element involved. Busier restaurants seek to streamline operations and dividing a plate (especially something difficult to divide such as a steak) definitely has to be a time consuming endeavor. With more people sharing due to the large quantities of food ordered at a TS restaurant, you may find a fixed fee for a second plate and the patron forced to divide the plate himself. Also, at the 2 credit TS restaurants, portions are somewhat smaller making that division look miniscule on a plate and as a result, the possibility of a somewhat diminished quality perception. A three or four scallop meal looks ridiculously small when divided regardless of their size. That may be why FF opted not to share an entree.

Just a thought.

Sharing could be changed because of the time element involved. Busier restaurants seek to streamline operations and dividing a plate (especially something difficult to divide such as a steak) definitely has to be a time consuming endeavor. With more people sharing due to the large quantities of food ordered at a TS restaurant, you may find a fixed fee for a second plate and the patron forced to divide the plate himself. Also, at the 2 credit TS restaurants, portions are somewhat smaller making that division look miniscule on a plate and as a result, the possibility of a somewhat diminished quality perception. A three or four scallop meal looks ridiculously small when divided regardless of their size. That may be why FF opted not to share an entree.

Just a thought.

We never ask for our food to be separated. They don't even need to bring is an extra plate as there is always a bread plate hanging around. If not we just use the plate from an appetizer. It really is not a huge deal because we do it all the time. Again, I'm okay with plating fees. What I don't like to hear are reports that some restaurants are "forcing" people to order a TS for every person at the table. That is _definitely_ not in the plan brochure right now and until it is I plan to share. I can't stand cheating the system. We play by the rules. But nowhere in the rules does it state that everyone at the table must use a credit. If what happened to the people above had happened to me at Spoodles, I would have been pretty upset. FF is slightly different to me as it's a 2 TS meal and sort of an "experience." Still though ... if it's not clearly stated somewhere? I also think they would almost have to apply the rules to DDP and non-DDP patrons alike. They don't have to but what a mess if they don't. It really turns "credits" into "meals" almost.

Like the A/C credits, if plate sharing is an issue, then the restaurant will deal with it. I think some will eventually go to a extra plate charge or restriction where all guests use a DDP credit.
I think that last would be a shame only because I know some adults get their kids something to eat at counter service before the adults dine, knowing their kids won't want what is offered at the restaurant.
If this happens it will be another case of some guests impacting the DDP for all.
I think the DDP is a lot of food, esp for guests with adult children. The appetizer, bread and dessert alone could make a meal for many.
But I think that is part of the gem of DDP, guests feel free to try different foods without worrying about the cost.
The DDP is a good price and pretty much covers the sit down meal alone. The rest of the day's food credits are free. And with all the food, even the sit down meal is a good deal!

Okay...let me get this right as I am trying to play catch up on the DDP and trying to decide if it is worth it or not. I haven't been to Disney since July 2004. If you participate in the DDP, the restaurant will force you to order a meal for everyone in your party???? However, if you are not participating, they will not enforce this???? Have I got this right? If so, that turns me off right there!

I am guessing the reason for that is the restaurant is only paid X-amount of dollars, no matter what the diner selects. They get paid the same whether they serve a chicken dinner instead of Prime Rib and seafood.
I am also guessing many guests using DDE or paying (gasp ;) ) full price do less entree plate sharing.
I don't think it unusual for families to have others taste off their plate, or share appetizers or desserts. But it is not unusual to read here where one meal is ordered and shared between two. (Again, I agree it is a lot of food and more than many would normally order in one sitting. I certainly see the logic.)

It will come down to that the DDP is not for everyone. Which is what most of us have said all along.
If guests stop buying the DDP and eat off site and this makes a noticeable impact, then I expect more changes will be made. :confused3 (Maybe even the cost of DDP rising.)
I am guessing some restaurants are noticing a decline in revenue and are not happy about it -- if this is indeed an issue with them. :confused3

Okay...let me get this right as I am trying to play catch up on the DDP and trying to decide if it is worth it or not. I haven't been to Disney since July 2004. If you participate in the DDP, the restaurant will force you to order a meal for everyone in your party???? However, if you are not participating, they will not enforce this???? Have I got this right? If so, that turns me off right there!

Only two posters in this thread reported this experience; one at Spoodles and one at Flying Fish. This doesn't seem to be the current policy.

Many of the restaurants at Disney, including all the character meals, are buffet/all you care to eat/price fixed meal. All guests dining have to pay the set price or have the appropriate number of credits deducted from their meal plan.

Yes, but in order for Pedler's lost opportunity data to be valid, we have to assume that EVERYONE at EVERY table orders an appetizer, entre, dessert and drink.
No, not at all. Pedler overstated that a bit. All that is necessary is for the tables to be almost as occupied during peak meal times, even if a sharing charge was applied. In other words, if the revenue from the guests that would pay, in terms of a sharing charge or ordering an entree because that is a requirement, is higher than the revenue they'd lose from guests deciding to not eat dinner on-site.

As I indicated earlier, I think it's a 50/50 situation right now. Some Disney restaurants would benefit; some wouldn't.

Really, I think instead of a sharing charge, they could impose a minimum charge for each diner. That might do the trick.

While we would all like to think that the goal is to maximize customer satisfaction in reality it isn't.
Very true. This is just like the situation with that old adage that keeps getting misquoted... It is not "The customer is always right." Rather, that's just part of the adage, which is, in full, "Make the customer feel as if they're always right."

Since I don't really know what we're disagreeing about I don't know which one of us is being insulting or silly.
Which is probably as good of a reason as any to take it to PM. Just to cap this off, though, I did receive a reply from Disney already. (Why I get replies in a day while others wait weeks, I don't know.) They confirmed the policy as I stated it. Until you write Disney asking the same question, I'm done with that little discussion with you, so don't bother with the PM until then.

As long as the cost and expectations are spelled out ahead of time, I have no issue with any policies Disney implements. I can chose to patronize the restaurants or not, as I see fit.
Just keep in mind that restaurants nationwide typically spell out such expectations on their menus. It is at the time you're ordering you meal that you can decide that you want to leave the restaurant without ordering if you don't like their policies.

Everywhere in the States lets you share, in my experience
It's not everywhere, overall, though. It's probably 90/10 or perhaps even 95/5, but a significant number of restaurants surely don't allow sharing (i.e., have some sort of sharing charge, minimum, etc.)

Just out of curiosity; what are the percentages in the UK?

If you participate in the DDP, the restaurant will force you to order a meal for everyone in your party???? However, if you are not participating, they will not enforce this???? Have I got this right?
No. That is not the policy. A few guests have experienced servers that were clearly mistrained in regard to that issue. The vast majority have not. If you experience that, talk to the manager and get the server retrained.

I am guessing the reason for that is the restaurant is only paid X-amount of dollars, no matter what the diner selects.
That only applies to non-Disney-owned restaurants. Disney-owned restaurants don't get paid, as such, at least not in the same way.

But it is not unusual to read here where one meal is ordered and shared between two.
I've been checking around, whenever I've gone out to eat locally here. The practice of splitting a meal between two diners is almost non-existent IRL.

It's not everywhere, overall, though. It's probably 90/10 or perhaps even 95/5, but a significant number of restaurants surely don't allow sharing (i.e., have some sort of sharing charge, minimum, etc.)

Just out of curiosity; what are the percentages in the UK?

Just to say that we only had a problem at Spoodles, nowhere else. In our previous two visits in 2001 and 2002 we had absolutely no problem sharing entrees, typically we order 1-2 appetizers, 3 entrees and a couple of desserts, that was when we still had "children" in Disney's eyes and before DDP. So even sharing 4 meals we are "spending" far more than left to our own devices, if we pay OOP no one makes us order 3 courses for every person at the table!! We also just ask for an extra plate and do all the splitting ourselves, we share everything around! I did notice that this trip we did get allocated 5-6 seat tables on the whole, as we book in all 5 of us as adults as Disney says we all pay adult prices on DDP. In the past we generally had tables for 4 with an extra chair squeezed in, perhaps they resented the wasted 6th chair as well?

In the UK portions are nowhere near as generous, some restaurants you could ask for an extra plate, but generally we share appetizers, and perhaps split for children. The point I was making is that Disney confirmed that there was still no problem "sharing" on the DDP so we wouldn't waste food. You don't want to waste any luscious steak when it's such a rare treat here, and rarely as good! If it was stated that there was a "plate" charge that would also be fine. On DDP the servers were getting 18% of a $200 bill, we could just order $100-150 if paying OOP, and leave a 15% tip and the server would receive far less.

You don't want to waste any luscious steak when it's such a rare treat here, and rarely as good!
You lost me here. By that logic, wouldn't it make sense to order as many as they'll allow you, rather than splitting a meal? :confused3 It seems to me that the objective would be just to eat your fill; whether that's off one plate or two wouldn't matter, nor would how much gets leftover.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter