How Kneeling Became a Protest Symbol

At risk of turning this thread into a whole other thing....

How does someone serving in Vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc equate to them fighting for our rights of free speech, the right to kneel, etc.? (I say this a a daughter of man that served in Vietnam.) I get the intent behind those words but I really don't understand it. Fighting in most of these wars did nothing to further our rights, or to preserve them. To me those that served in the Revolutionary War and Civil war are the ones that can claim that that is what they served and fought for.

I am not asking to be flamed, nor am I asking to start an argument. I am genuinely curious.

This stems from the perception more than the reality. The Korean war was about freedom, just not for us, but for those who are now South Koreans. In the larger picture, it, and then Vietnam, was to keep communism at bay lest it really come and take over America and strip us of our freedom - not a likely outcome but that was the rationale and some do see it that way.

At risk of turning this thread into a whole other thing....

How does someone serving in Vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc equate to them fighting for our rights of free speech, the right to kneel, etc.? (I say this a a daughter of man that served in Vietnam.) I get the intent behind those words but I really don't understand it. Fighting in most of these wars did nothing to further our rights, or to preserve them. To me those that served in the Revolutionary War and Civil war are the ones that can claim that that is what they served and fought for.

I am not asking to be flamed, nor am I asking to start an argument. I am genuinely curious.
Yes and no. The way many of these wars went, no nothing changed in our freedoms back here. But I would absolutely include WWI and WWII in that. If Hitler has won, who knows where that could have gone. So they defend our right to remain a democracy which comes with those freedoms.

Well, it's HIS opinion, however, my interpretation is that they were fighting for freedom in general. They served and they fought. I'm not sure that I feel it necessary to argue over what they were fighting for - or why our country decided to enter those wars. I guess you'll have to take that up with our country's leaders.
Of course it's his opinion and I wasn't really questioning that. I'm sure that's how he feels. I am asking generally what "we served and fought for your freedom" means when fighting in some of these wars doesn't have any effect on my freedoms at all.

Perfectly fine with that double standard. Both groups are attention whores in one way or another. I will admit that. However, the ladies have patriotic intentions.
And those players that kneel to bring light to real issues that affect POC do not have patriotic intentions? You are definitely trolling.

Isn't part of being a patriot speaking out about issues you care about and wish to see changed for the better? Are you of the opinion that there is no issue for them to protest?

According to the flag code...
The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.
LOL, talk about not understanding the US Code. It refers to an actual flag. I highly doubt those bikins were sewn from an actual flag. If so, I agree with you. LOL, nice try with the "gotcha moment."

You know what's in their mind? You think they were trying to glorify the flag and not their bodies? What about "The flag should not be used as wearing apparel"?
Again, I think you are confused about the actual US Code. And congrats on the mind reading abilities. LOL

And those players that kneel to bring light to real issues that affect POC do not have patriotic intentions? You are definitely trolling.
I don't troll. I'm just brutally honest and my personal opinions are set in stone. I don't buckle because my views aren't in line with the woke mob. I know we are in an age where not agreeing with someone gets you tagged as being evil. Oh well.

I’m sure he can speak for himself. And anyone who watched what happened on 9/11 knows damn well that what those firemen were doing was raising the flag for America and Americans. If he wanted to salute just the fireman, I’m sure he’d pick another picture. Come on.
I touched on my avatar in one of my previous posts.

It’s such a horrible thing to be proud of your country and want to salute our symbol of freedom. Shame on people like me.
There's nothing to ‘get’ - I love our country and I respect our flag and what it stands for. Nothing more to it.
Um ok. I am against protesting the flag in anyway. I haven’t changed my stance.
Freedom of speech. I’m allowed to feel how I feel, just as you are. We’ll agree to disagree.
No. She told me to Stop. Why should I? Just as you have a right to feel the way you do, so do I.
Again, I’ll agree to disagree. Everyone is firm in their own belief. Enjoy your day everyone. See you on the other boards.
You've said it multiple times. YOU are free to do and believe as you do. OTHERS have that same, exact freedom to believe and do as they please. Both parties, you and others, obviously constrained by the law.

It's so weird that someone's opinions are so set in stone that nothing can even move them to even consider another point of view. Is it due to stubbornness? Lack of education? Ignorance? In any case it certainly is not interested in improving lives. I feel so sorry for those people.

I changed my mind about it. I get that it's a shock to the system as I also grew up my whole life learning to stand up for the national anthem. But once I listened to Colin Kaepernick, I relaxed my expectations. I personally still stand, but now I get it why some can't stand to stand.

It's an incredible time we are in. Change isn't just coming...it's happening, in real time before our eyes. It's long overdue.

Fifty years from now, I hope I am still alive to read about all the people who wound up on the wrong side of history...or better yet, to look them in the eye and ask if they still insist kneeling during the anthem is disrespectful.

I changed my mind about it. I get that it's a shock to the system as I also grew up my whole life learning to stand up for the national anthem. But once I listened to Colin Kaepernick, I relaxed my expectations. I personally still stand, but now I get it why some can't stand to stand.

Even if you hadn't changed your mind (amazing that you did!), just the fact that you were willing to listen to a differing opinion and try to understand was great. Thank you x

I get why athletes kneel, it's because even though they are wealthy successful people they are still voiceless in the face of the machine. Same goes for all the women who wore black at the awards last year in solidarity for the Me Too movement, they are famous but censored too and therefore voiceless. The only thing that works when you can't be heard is sign language.

As for me, I always stop whatever is going on and show respect for the democratic system of government we enjoy. I am not saluting the people sitting in the chairs of the offices, can't stand politicians, I am saluting the fact those people in those offices can be removed and replaced through our system. Whoever sits in those chairs are temporary occupants and for that I am forever loyal. I wonder how you sign the word "NEXT"

It's so weird that someone's opinions are so set in stone that nothing can even move them to even consider another point of view. Is it due to stubbornness? Lack of education? Ignorance? In any case it certainly is not interested in improving lives. I feel so sorry for those people.
There you go, you just proved my point. The first thing you go to when someone has opinions that differ with yours is hurling insults. So I'm stupid and ignorant? Right out of the playbook I was talking about: you don't agree so you must be evil argument. Having strong opinions and not willing to go along with this particular group-think makes me a dimwit I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter