How hard is it to get a DAS?

Yeah, he would never be totally alone. At least his 8 year old brother would be with him, but we would only truly be separated on rides like Under the Sea and Haunted Mansion that have the clamshells/doom buggy type as I don't think 4 will fit - unless a large adult and 3 small kids WOULD fit, then I'd stuff us in... most likely, I'll be behind him and his brother with the youngest beside me. Or on Space Mountain, two behind him.

Yeah, he would never be totally alone. At least his 8 year old brother would be with him, but we would only truly be separated on rides like Under the Sea and Haunted Mansion that have the clamshells/doom buggy type as I don't think 4 will fit - unless a large adult and 3 small kids WOULD fit, then I'd stuff us in... most likely, I'll be behind him and his brother with the youngest beside me. Or on Space Mountain, two behind him.
The CM at the rides can best tell you how to ride (like who needs to ride with who and how many can fit

And just to verify, a 7 year old can ride without an adult, right?

... At least his 8 year old brother would be with him ...

A 7-yr-old should be allowed to ride without an adult, that can be alone or with another child, so both the 7 and 8 yr olds should be fine to ride together. Under 7 must ride with someone at least 14 yrs old (so 6 and 8 can't ride together). Seating configurations vary and the CM at ride load will direct you.

Enjoy your vacation!

No. That is for annual pass holders only. Guests on vacation will be given a DAS that is good for their length of stay. They will ask you when your last day is or it will be linked to your hotel reservation via scanning your Magic Band.
Correct. The Disney website says this:
"DAS is good for up to 60 days, based on ticket entitlement.* Once the service has elapsed, it is no longer valid and you will need to return to Guest Relations.

*Annual Passholders can obtain DAS for up to 60 days. "

https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me.../wdw-disability-access-service_2015-04-30.pdf
We have AP, so we do get 60 days. The 'ticket entitlement' part basically means your present trip - if you only have a one day ticket, DAS won't necessarily be authorized for 60 days.

You can get the stroller tag at guest relations too when you get the DAS, right? We leave in 4 days... also, is there anywhere outside of the theme parks where we can get the DAS? Anywhere at Disney Springs or outside front gates? We have an extra day in Orlando before we go to parks and would get this done if there is a way to save the hour in the park.
DAS and the stroller as wheelchair tag are only available at Guest Relations at one of the 4 theme parks.
Officially, DAS is issued at the in-park Guest Relations locations. Epcot pretty consistently is able to issue DAS at the World Showcase entrance (one of the kiosks is a Guest Relations kiosk).
At the other parks, there is no guarantee you will be able to request DAS at the outside of the park Guest Relations. It depends on a couple of things, like whether they have the iPad needed to issue DAS available or how busy it is.
Sometimes Guest Relations is busy with guests picking up tickets or who have to resolve ticket issues before they can enter the park. When that happens, they often ask people with non-ticket issues to go into the park to Guest Relations.

Another thing to be aware of is that Guest Relations stations outside of the park are small windows, with glass between you and the CM and a small 'speaking opening' to talk into. That can be intimidating for some people and not feel very private.
Guest Relations inside the park is more private; you will be talking to a CM over a counter or they will come around the corner to talk to you.

Guest Relations is open whenever the park is open for guests to enter. That could be 30 minutes to an hour before the 'official' opening time.

A 7-yr-old should be allowed to ride without an adult, that can be alone or with another child, so both the 7 and 8 yr olds should be fine to ride together. Under 7 must ride with someone at least 14 yrs old (so 6 and 8 can't ride together). Seating configurations vary and the CM at ride load will direct you.

Enjoy your vacation!
exactly what lanejudy wrote.
For some attractions, you may all fit in one seat or ride car. In others, you will be split into 2 groups.

Just before boarding, you will come to the 'grouper' CM, who asks how many are in your group. That CM will assign you where to go, depending on the seat configuration. A lot of attractions have numbered spots to wait on for the next ride car. So, your whole group might be directed to 'row 4' or you might be directed 'two in row 4 and two in row 5.' You would need to decide how to split your group.

Thanks everyone! This trip is stressing me out way more than it should... but knowing that my 7 and 8 year olds can ride together and that we can get both a DAS and stroller tag for my 7 year old is easing my worries a bit. I think the stroller tag will help for waits under 20 minutes - he can climb in and escape, but I think we'll need the DAS for longer waits. Even in his hide-away, he will get stressed and freaked out if he's crammed in a queue too long. I've had several people offer to be a rent-an-adult for me, and I may consider it if the first couple days are too stressful.

Thanks everyone! This trip is stressing me out way more than it should... but knowing that my 7 and 8 year olds can ride together and that we can get both a DAS and stroller tag for my 7 year old is easing my worries a bit. I think the stroller tag will help for waits under 20 minutes - he can climb in and escape, but I think we'll need the DAS for longer waits. Even in his hide-away, he will get stressed and freaked out if he's crammed in a queue too long. I've had several people offer to be a rent-an-adult for me, and I may consider it if the first couple days are too stressful.

I've got an 11 year old who was diagnosed with ASD when he was almost 6 so I know where you are right now! We took him to DL for his first trip 3 months after his dx so it was a pretty stressful time.

We found a few things that helped were:
He loves his Nintendo DS so we allow him to bring it to play while waiting in lines and for meals.

Sunglasses...he is light sensitive so I always have a couple of pairs on hand, to this day he tends to put things down and then totally forget he did until he wants it again. So many lost pairs over the years, I usually buy a half dozen pairs each Spring and by the middle of Summer we need more.

Headphones. Great for blocking out some of the noise, especially for fireworks.

Breaks. The first few times we went, he needed an afternoon nap and even now he needs a break in the afternoon to decompress and relax. This is at DL so going back to the hotel to rest is easy but more difficult for you at WDW. We always take our cue from him, if he says he is done then we are done. Trying to push him for "one more ride" is never a good plan.

Snacks and water. When DS gets hungry, he gets grouchy. (To be honest, so do I!) We make sure that we take plenty of snack breaks and make sure I remind him to drink enough water.

Good luck, and make sure you plan your FP+ so you make sure you get the rides you can't miss!

We have AP, so we do get 60 days. The 'ticket entitlement' part basically means your present trip - if you only have a one day ticket, DAS won't necessarily be authorized for 60 days.

Not that it matters for the OP, but we were there in December and we were not asked how long our stay was and we were told the pass was good for 60 days. At the time we had 3 day PHs (upgraded to AP later in the week).

Enjoy your vacation!
Yes, this accurate. I have family that have recently worked attractions at WDW. They may even enter the queue alone at age 7. If the CM sees an unattended child entering the queue and they are unsure that they are at least 7, they will ask the child how old they are. They will take the child's word. But if a child says they are younger than 7, they will require them to be with someone who is at least 14 years old.
My family has placed as many as 6 on a peter pan ship as there were that many "littles" and they allow lap riders on pan.

The seven year old is the one with the issues? How would he respond to a ride shutdown? Would his older sibling be able to keep him calm and in his seat? I'd worry that the ride would stop and he'd "get stressed and freak out" and you wouldn't be able to go to him as you can't leave your ride vehicle.

I had a brain tumor at age 4 which left me with a severe movement disease called dystonia and when I get anxious, nervous, or worried the movements get worse does anyone think I would qualify for a DAS?

Last edited:
I had a brain tumor at age 4 which left me with a severe movement disease called dystonia and when I get anxious, nervous, or worried the movements get worse does anyone think I would qualify for a DAS?

You will have to explain how those issues impact your ability to wait in a standard queue environment. No specific diagnosis or symptom qualifies for DAS; DAS is need-based and depends on the individual.

The first post of this thread has more info about DAS as WDW: http://www.disboards.com/threads/wd...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/ (no need to read all 90+ pages, just the first post)

Enjoy your vacation!

The seven year old is the one with the issues? How would he respond to a ride shutdown? Would his older sibling be able to keep him calm and in his seat? I'd worry that the ride would stop and he'd "get stressed and freak out" and you wouldn't be able to go to him as you can't leave your ride vehicle.
Those are good questions.
If you are riding on the same attraction in the ride car ahead or behind, to may not matter much. If you are not, that would be a big consideration.
No one can tell you for sure; it would be determined by the Guest Relations staff at one of the three parks.
You would need to explain (briefly) how the dystonia would affect your ability to wait in the regular lines and how waiting in the lines would affect your dystonia.

I understand how wheelchair and mobility issues work with the DAS, but I have a little more complicated question. My mother just had hip replacement surgery, and will be joining us for our trip this April. We don't expect her to have any issues walking by that time, but what will continue to bother her is standing for extended periods (which of course you never have to do at WDW, lol). Is there a way for her to wait outside the queue while we wait and then join us via the accessible entrance if we let the CM know about it, or is it something that we would need to get a DAS for? If she was actually in the wheelchair, would she just wait in line in the wheelchair? Just trying to get all of our ducks in a row.

Most attractions do not have a separate entrance for mobility devices; the queues are mainstreamed which means yes, she would remain with the wheelchair in the queue. She is welcome to push it and sit only when needed. Another alternative might be a rollator, which is like a walker with a seat. It is unlikely that a DAS would be offered for her needs based on what you have stated; they will recommend using a mobility device so she has a seat when needing to avoid standing. There are relatively few benches available for seating around the parks as well, so the wheelchair or other mobility device may come in handy for situations outside of queues as well.

Enjoy your vacation!

1 I understand how wheelchair and mobility issues work with the DAS,
but I have a little more complicated question. My mother just had hip replacement surgery, and will be joining us for our trip this April. We don't expect her to have any issues walking by that time, but what will continue to bother her is standing for extended periods (which of course you never have to do at WDW, lol).

2 Is there a way for her to wait outside the queue while we wait and then join us via the accessible entrance if we let the CM know about it, or is it something that we would need to get a DAS for?

3If she was actually in the wheelchair, would she just wait in line in the wheelchair? Just trying to get all of our ducks in a row.
1 the DAS card is not really meant for people with mobility problems. I would have your mother rent a wheel chair ( since it sounds like she should be ok with walking for the most part) this way she can push it and sit when she needs too. she can also leave it some where in each land or area and walk around if she is up too it. even thought she maybe walking just fine at home most people do a lot more walking at Disney then at home and a few days of this may catch up to her

2 there are very few lines at Disney that have an alternative entrance BTMRR JC, Space ship earth are the few I can think off of the top my my head. and you do not need a DAS card to use these entrance for these you will go up to the CM and ask for a return time some times they want to see the person with the mobility device some times not. they will give you a return time on a little card ( about the size of a besness card) for you to return latter ( it will be wait time -10 minutes ) the CM will let you know where to go or what to do. some have stars in the line at these you will be directed around the stars to a boarding area ( TSMM is one but the new track has no stars at all, and splash is another one with stars in the line)

3 yes she can chose to sit or walk behind it pushing it some else in your party can even push it for her.

lastly I would have a few number of vender of scooter with you incase she finds all the walking too much for her, another thing you can try if you do not think she will need to sit much is a roller. also remember that is she need a place to lie down for a bit all parks have a first aid with a few OTC meds and ice incase she starts to have some pain better to take a 30 or so minute break when the pain is not too bad then to over do it and really be in pain. also stop by GR to get the guide map for people with disabilities or you can down load it here ( all the way at the bottom of the page) https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/

I hope you have a great trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter