How hard is it to get a DAS?

ellismom

Mouseketeer
Hi, very new to this board! My son, 7, recently got diagnosed with ASD, anxiety and sensory issues. We've been to WDW twice before and had one major meltdown while in a line and several other lines that were rough as far as behavior. I had been thrilled to read Disney's info and the thought of a DAS to make our trip so much better. Reading these boards makes me really nervous that I need to be ready with a practiced court ready statement and that they're just going to laugh and turn me away! How often do they say no?
Thanks!

people whose needs are primarily related to mobility (i.e. I can't walk or stand the distance or time in lines) are often suggested to use a mobility device instead. And, that makes a lot of sense - most of the walking in a day at WDW is outside of lines. DAS often doesn't shorten the distance walked IN line and sometimes means more walks to go get a DAS Return Tme and then come back to the attraction to use it.
DAS also doesn't provide a place to sit in line.
If DAS doesn't help with the needs the person has, the CMs will suggest other things (and I promise they won't laugh). The accommodation provided by DAS is being able to wait somewhere other than in the regular line, so it may not help all need.

They don't do an inquisition before issuing DAS. They just want to know WHAT the issues are that make waiting in the regular an issue (not the diagnosis, the problems related to it.)
Just keep it short, non-medical (so plain English) and related to the wait in the line.
The people I've heard with similar issues to your child having problems getting DAS were mostly not following one of those 3.
- if it's more than just 6 sentences, it's too long. I've heard people go on for 5 minutes or more, while the CM can't ge a word in.
- if it's something you had to look up on the internet to know what it means, the CMs won't know. Also avoid alphabet soup type things (SPD, PPD, ADHD, etc)
- if it doesn't relate to something that affects waiting in line, it's not pertinent

You want to be able to complete the sentence "We would like to request DAS. My child has difficulty waiting in line because......" and possibly answer 1 or 2 simple questions.

Last edited:
We've been to WDW twice before and had one major meltdown while in a line and several other lines that were rough as far as behavior

I suggest you think about those prio visits and explain to Guest Relations what made the lines challenging. DAS is not diagnosis-based but rather it is need-based. Since you have been to WDW before, that gives you a good indication of what to expect as problem areas.

I also suggest preparing for non-queue situations by bringing whatever might be of help to your son. That might be earmuffs, hat, lightweight hoodie, small toys or electronic games, snacks, water bottle, expect frequent breaks, etc. A 7-yr old may (or not) benefit from using a stroller as s "safe haven" to block out the world when he's starting to feel overwhelmed.

Enjoy your vacation!

I agree with what was said above. We have never had a hard time getting the pass and we have been like 7 times.

I to agree with the PP I have never said what my DX is ( or hardly ever) I have never had a problem with getting a DAS card. enjoy your trip

also if it would help he my be a able to get a stroller as a wheel chair tag in order to get this you mast explain why he needs to be able to be in his stroller in lines.

My diagnosis is rare, so a CM would have no idea what I was talking about. I do what Sue does, where I say "I have a medical condition that makes it difficult/unsafe/impossible to wait in a regular queue because x, y, z happens to me." Generally only 2 sentences. Some CMs ask a follow up question, some don't. In general, they have all been really nice and supportive.

You may want to think about a stroller or special needs stroller for him for this trip, so he has a safe place when you are in the situations a DAS will not help with. If you use a stroller, you can ask about a stroller as wheelchair tag so you can take it in the queues.

I went in November with my DS who is 3 and has ASD and it was so easy to get the DAS pass, first time getting one.

I was worried beforehand what if they refused me and we had to deal with melt downs, but honestly it was the easiest process I have ever been through.

I went to Guest services at Epcots IG on a morning when it was EMH and the person there was so helpful even with my little on not wanting to look at the ipad for the camera.

Having that pass just made the trip amazing and we didn't even use it that much as we made use of our FP and just if there was a mad queing time (FEA with 1 hour and 10 min queue - which would have ended in a mega melt down).

I personally think the DAS pass is great and helped make our holiday brilliant, actually I think it benefited me more that my son as it took the edge of the stress I feel when I take him out to any event/activity for the first time.

Oh and I forgot mention that even though the DAS pass was fantastic it was the extra customer service which also really helped.

As I mention it to restaurant staff as my DS can sometimes be a bit of a handful, they helped to find us quiet spots and even booths just for the 3 of us.

The photopass photographers were really good with him and in every set of photo on my pass they caught a great shot of him (even though most of the time he was looking everywhere else but the camera).

Told the Character handlers and they helped make the transition for him to meet them as smooth as possible - He enjoyed most of them wasn't the biggest fan of Chewie and Minnie but adored Daisy and Kylo Ren.

Also just general CM there was one guy blowing bubbles in HS (which My son is obsessed with) and he amazing and really put the time in to talk to him and even though my son is non-verbal he carried on interacting with him anyway.

Well all the CM did, which makes a big difference as most people when my son doesn't engage on a normal level they just end up talk to me and ignoring him. Which on one level I can understand why, but it is sad and he does take a lot in; But not Disney, oh no and that's why -in my humble opinion the best destination for ASD travel.

Also got his stroller designated a Wheelchair, but he is bit younger so not sure if that'll work for your trip.

We are going next week and I think the DAS would be a huge, HUGE help for my son -- is it a one time thing? Like you go to whichever park the first day, request the DAS, and then you have it for the rest of your stay? Just want to make sure I know what I'm doing and whether I have to request it at each park.

We are going next week and I think the DAS would be a huge, HUGE help for my son -- is it a one time thing? Like you go to whichever park the first day, request the DAS, and then you have it for the rest of your stay? Just want to make sure I know what I'm doing and whether I have to request it at each park.
you go to the park and go to GR and talk to them about your/ your Childs needs and if they give you a DAS card it is good for 60 days for all 4 theme parks after the 60 days you have to go get another DAS card.

gap2368 Thank you so much for the quick reply!! That sounds nice and easy. Here's hoping we are able to get it (from what I've read here his needs certainly do align with what the program is meant for) and it makes our trip nice and easy, too!

you go to the park and go to GR and talk to them about your/ your Childs needs and if they give you a DAS card it is good for 60 days for all 4 theme parks after the 60 days you have to go get another DAS card.

No. That is for annual pass holders only. Guests on vacation will be given a DAS that is good for their length of stay. They will ask you when your last day is or it will be linked to your hotel reservation via scanning your Magic Band.

the CM at GR told me that all DAS are good for 60 days now, but it really dose not matter in the long run as it will be good for as long as the PP is at Disney for this trip and the likely hood they will be back before 60 days is slim if they do not have an AP

You can get the stroller tag at guest relations too when you get the DAS, right? We leave in 4 days... also, is there anywhere outside of the theme parks where we can get the DAS? Anywhere at Disney Springs or outside front gates? We have an extra day in Orlando before we go to parks and would get this done if there is a way to save the hour in the park.

You can get the stroller tag at guest relations too when you get the DAS, right? We leave in 4 days... also, is there anywhere outside of the theme parks where we can get the DAS? Anywhere at Disney Springs or outside front gates? We have an extra day in Orlando before we go to parks and would get this done if there is a way to save the hour in the park.
Stroller as a wheel chair can be done at GR asking with the DAS

as fair as getting a DAS out side the park some people have gotten it in the GR out side the theme park but not always

Depending on what your first park is you can get to the park before park opens and be in side since a number of them ( I think all of them) allow guest in the park some time before the rest of the park opens to other parts of it

I hade no problem getting a DAS card at MK at 8 in side when the rest of the park opens at 9

Stroller as a wheel chair can be done at GR asking with the DAS

as fair as getting a DAS out side the park some people have gotten it in the GR out side the theme park but not always

Depending on what your first park is you can get to the park before park opens and be in side since a number of them ( I think all of them) allow guest in the park some time before the rest of the park opens to other parts of it

I hade no problem getting a DAS card at MK at 8 in side when the rest of the park opens at 9
Thanks. Our first park is indeed MK and it's Frontierland/Adventureland day, so a bit more wiggle room.

Thanks. Our first park is indeed MK and it's Frontierland/Adventureland day, so a bit more wiggle room.
Then that should work for you when I went there was just one other person in GR and it took no time at all for the CM to do my DAS card and my friend and I had enough time to slowly go down Main Street and grab some breakfast and watch the opening show I would recommend waiting about 5 minutes to let the main crowded get a head of you most lines are walk on for the first hour any ways so you will not really need a DAS time any ways and since you are not doing 7DMT you will not have to worry about this. You should be able to do those two lands very easey in one day

I have heard different things on this some times I was at 7DMT when the people that where behind had 4 people 2 5 year old ( they had on birthday buttons that said they were 5) a younger person ( maybe 4 or 3) and I guess a mom the 5 year olds where in the set be hind me the mom and younger ( I am guessing sister) said behind them.

I have seen a few other times younger kids are riding one row infant or behind there parents, I am not sure I would let a 7 year old ride total alone any even if Disney allowed it. but as long as you are one row behind or infant I think it will be ok

the kids were 5 that was in line for 7DMT not 7 ( they were saying they are all 5 fingers to a CM that wished them a happy birthday) the other child with them did not look that much younger then them maybe a year or two, I do not know if it was a friend sister or some other family member. sorry that I put your Childs age in and for any confusion

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter