How does Disney keep the parks so bug free?

uh.... look at my DH's legs after returning from 8 days at the World last week. He has giant bug bites EVERYWHERE! We are pretty sure all the time on the walking trails at the AK are to blame, but there are certainly bugs.

And we had no issue with bed bugs at all between AKL and Yacht Club.

How does Disney keep their parks bug free?

Easy........magic.

Well if you consider massive amounts of pesticide magic.

I'm sure they implement other forms of pest control besides pesticides. Making sure standing water is kept to a minimum, using other insects to eat pests, traps, keeping areas breezy etc.

It was pretty amazing.

We were in FL for 10 days before Disney visiting family. Around sunset, I couldn't even walk from the house to the car without having mosquito bites all over me. But, during our 9 days at Disney none of us got even one bite. I'm usually not a fan of pesticides, but it did make our time there much more pleasant. :upsidedow

Excerpts from this article from Sept. 21, 2002:
www.intercot.com/discussion/archive/index.php?t-49126.html

Disney has a full-service mosquito-control operation …

Crews spray relentlessly. Every morning, every evening.

"Our guests come to Walt Disney World to escape the realities of life, and getting bit by mosquitoes isn't conducive to that," Disney spokeswoman Rena Callahan said.

Several mornings a week, [Disney] deploys 67 traps around Disney's property.

A single trap can net thousands of mosquitoes in a night. …

"We don't want any guests to be aware of our work, it's part of the Disney theme."

I think they do a great job with pest control, but they would have to put a bubble around the place to keep them all out. I was stung by a bug (or bugs) while waiting for a parade at MK - my friends thought I was crazy because I kept saying "something is biting me" and slapping my neck and chest! But - when they saw the bumps we knew something had been crawling around. :goodvibes

pesticides are a portion of it.

they do other things like have giant mosquito traps that emit carbon dioxide which is one of the things mosquitos are primarily attracted to.

this is probably more in line with disneyland, but they've actually used tiny insects that prey on larger insects as well.

if you take the behind the seeds tour, you'll learn about all sorts of pest control techniques they use inside the greenhouse that have to avoid heavy pesticides because they grow the food that's served in some of the restaurants.

They do have bugs but it also depends on the time of year you go. Some times are better than others. However, I like to subscribe to the big dome theory. Disney can control the weather and all things with the big dome that's over the property.

uh.... look at my DH's legs after returning from 8 days at the World last week. He has giant bug bites EVERYWHERE! We are pretty sure all the time on the walking trails at the AK are to blame, but there are certainly bugs.
Is it just the lower part of his legs (knees downward)? I know there is a splotchy type rash that seems to affect alot of people at Epcot (some type of vasculitis/dermatitis), there have been threads about it on the boards. I get it sometimes, and so does my son, on me it is like raised red welts (look kind of like bug bites) that itch like crazy, my son's is more like an itchy rash.

I got stung by some kind of fly while standing in line at Test Track, boy did that smart.

I think they do a great job with pest control, but they would have to put a bubble around the place to keep them all out. I was stung by a bug (or bugs) while waiting for a parade at MK - my friends thought I was crazy because I kept saying "something is biting me" and slapping my neck and chest! But - when they saw the bumps we knew something had been crawling around. :goodvibes

That was probably the "no'see'um". I hate them little buggers.

And we had no issue with bed bugs at all between AKL and Yacht Club.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_mite

My mother-in-law picked up chiggers (have to read about halfway through the article) the day before we arrived at Disney World when we stopped at my dad's house out in the North Florida country with lots of woods.

Not much to do after these bites except use cream to sooth the itch. Very common in the southeast.

I remember reading somewhere that they spray either speriment or pepermint and this acts as a natural bug repellant

On the eys tour we were told that it is there are butterflys and dragonflys released. They also use plants that deter pests and attract birds that may eat the pests... natural magic.

Is it just the lower part of his legs (knees downward)? I know there is a splotchy type rash that seems to affect alot of people at Epcot (some type of vasculitis/dermatitis), there have been threads about it on the boards. I get it sometimes, and so does my son, on me it is like raised red welts (look kind of like bug bites) that itch like crazy, my son's is more like an itchy rash.
This is fascinating to me. When I went to Disney several years in a row, I kept getting what looked like small hives on my lower legs, usually around my ankles. I assumed it was from consuming or wearing things that I typically don't at home, and after many trips (that included different resorts, different restaurants, etc.) I had almost narrowed it down to either Florida strawberries (how they're grown? pesticide? how they're washed?) or sunscreen (as in didn't wear it regularly, day after day, back home). Now I'm curious if THIS could've been it! Do you have a link to any of the threads?

I did get bit by a bug on one of my trips at DTD while waiting for the bus back to the resort.

My ankle became swollen and I ended up going to the Care centre the next morning before going on the DCL.

This September is the only other time I have seen any bugs, but they were only lovebugs.

Oh, there are bugs at WDW. You may not openly notice them, but they are there. I was watching the Indiana Jones Stunt show at DHS a few years ago when I felt something like a sting on my neck. I kept feeling it. I asked my DD if she saw a bee around me. She didn't. Finally, the show ended and I ran to the nearest restroom. It was a fire ant! It had gotten me several times on my neck. It happens!

Also, I've been bitten by mosquitoes on Disney property. I'm a mosquito magnet. If they are in the area, they will find me.

I especially notice the bees at DTD. Just watch the areas with the potted plants, they are loaded with bees.

It's Florida. We've got bugs! Fortunately, they don't tend to be a big bother for most.

I have been to AK twice and both times I had severe bites on the lower parts of my legs that I needed 30 days of antibiotics to cure. I swear they must
ship the bugs in there from differerent countries - just like the animals!

I stay away from AK now - If my DH and DD want to go..I drop them off!!

With all the plants and flowers around WDW, they must need bees.....but why don't they hang around garbage cans and why can I eat outdoors without being bothered by bees, or flies for that matter? Whatever it is, I want to do it at home!!

They definitely have bees.

Last week when we were there, my wife took a break in epcot so she could gab on teh phone. While we were hanging out, a bee was busy polinating the local flowers. His technique was kinda amusing. I'll try to remember to post pics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter