How do you pick a doctor?

SplshMtn99

<font color=blue>She talks to me in pretty <font c
My General Practioner is retiring. :( My HMO sent me a list to pick a new doctor.

How do I pick?

I was referred to my current doctor about 15 yrs ago by a dear co-worker. My Dr's been great. I've mainly only had to see him occasionally over the years for sore throuts & sinus infections...stupid stuff. Most times, I just call up & he prescribes something over the phone for sinus infections.

He's always called back at night to make sure I taking the presciption...and all is going well with it. I swear he never goes home.

He believes in finding the cause behind the symptons before he just prescribes drugs though. Most of my cold type symptons were actually caused by the type of heat we had were we used to live.

Doctors make me VERY nervous. I don't think I can find another doctor like him. :(

Their office sent a letter saying my "needs" maybe best served by a Dr so&so (a name I can't even pronounce nor spell) in a town 20 miles in the OTHER direction from my home. Which would make it 40 miles from work. So, not someone I want to use.

Back to square one. :(

I like Bet's suggestion.:) You could also ask other coworkers their experience with their GP's.:) Good luck.:)

I go to the phone book and pick a women with a soft name, I want sympathy when sick, women are better at this

The HMO's in our area have an allowance to change PCP's on a monthly basis as long as the notification of change is made on or before the 15th of the preceding month.....

Check your HMO to see if you have a same /similar allowance....

Having said that...I agree with previous advice given....ask around your family, friends & co-workers and see if you find a physician you might be comfortable with....if it doesn't work out and you have a PCP change allowance.....use it....

Why do good GP's have to retire.....................can't they go on forever. (big sigh) Good luck in you search. Use the old remendations of friends for this. Had to do the same thing a few years back. I was lucky and my sister steered my to a good one.

Call the doctor's office and see if he'll recommend anyone in the right direction.

I also agree that family and friends are great. You can use their suggestions both to help you decide who to try and who not to try. For example, if you have a friend who seems to take medicine for all types of conditions and you think you'd try to treat the same conditions naturally, you might want to make a mental note to not try that doctor.

Do you have an ob/gyn as well? I asked mine who she would recommend as an internist. I have a family practitioner but he will be retiring pretty soon as well. I trust my ob/gyn's judgment and she gave me a list of four names in my area, one of which (thankfully) is on my insurance plan.

Good luck! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter