How do you make money?

Hi to the OP--

I know you've gotten a lot of advice on here, but I just wanted to encourage you that there are so many ways to earn more money/save money, not all of them will work for everyone but if you look hard enough you will find ideas that are a good fit for you.

I recently quit my full-time job (as of June) to stay at home with my kids. I was so scared to do it, but I spent literally months reading blogs about how to earn money/save money. The thing that has ended up working for me is mystery shopping. It doesn't pay a lot (I make $200-$300/month) but I can work it in around my schedule with the kids and I decide how much or how little I work.

Wishing you well!

Since you mentioned hair cuts and such in your reply, and that was a comment I made, I'm hoping you didn't think my comments were aimed at you... My posts were aimed at PPs who implied you have to make six figures to have money in the bank. I was not trying to imply that you were in financial trouble due to overspending. :guilty:
I tried to avoid commenting on other posters, but it really bugged me to hear people say that there is NO way to save on a budget income. That's simply not true and it's that type of misinformation which has gotten friends and family into financial hot water. :sad2:
And for other posters' reading this, I am well aware that some folks' financial situation came about through dire circumstances they could not prevent. Hubby and I try hard to avoid these things, but clearly if one of us became permanently disabled we would have a serious issue within a year or so, emergency fund or not. The issue I was trying to address is that most of the people we know who have financial problems were not in serious medical crisis or had a death in the family, they just didn't know how to budget or save on their income.
OP, I hope that your financial situation is not nearly as dire as it seems right now and that your mortgage situation is straightened out fast. :hug:

the 1-800-flowers jobs are only in the following states by the way.

Must be a resident and live in the following states: Delaware, Illinois, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Montana, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Virginia

OP

My husband and I have been in the antique business over 25 years and I would be happy to help you value the antiques you have and want to sell, at no charge, and no I do not want to purchase them so nothing in it for me(said this before I got attacked by some of our DDisers for taking advantage).

Just PM me or email me at the email in my profile. I will need to see pictures of course.

You may not need to sell as much as you think to get you out of your dilemma.

Ah! Thanks..I just guessed the 1800flowers jobs were everywhere, since we see the ads everywhere here (NM)

the house was not overpriced at all. it was from my mother's side of the family - divorced parents. the mortgage was a result of the $$ we had to put in to pay off her overdue taxes and overall disrepair of the house at her hands... (she was about to lose it to the state...)

i agree something doesn't add up but as i said i'm hoping to get more details once we can talk without the kids distracting us... i have not been involved in the finances up until now but plan to going forward...
Good! This seems like a wake up call for you and your family and it seems you have a good postive outlook and determination. It isn't easy, but it CAN be done..hang in there and know that by beginning to change things you are already better off than you were.
Best of luck

I am so sorry to hear you are struggling. I know how hard it is. I was and still am a big Dave Ramsey supporter but we barely made it through our last set of financial issues. We had a 6 month emergency fund, only have a mortgage, no cc debt, no auto loans- 1 car, etc. but when we decided to fight to keep our special needs foster child, a good chunk of our emergency fund went to our legal battle. We finished that and started to rebuild then our roof started leaking and we had to replace it. Then DH got sick, spent 3 weeks in the hospital and another 3 at home, lost his job, unemployment was a joke, we watched our fund dwindle down to nothing and now he is at a dead end low paying job and I am still contracting through the state doing adoption and foster parent home studies. We are trying desperately to rebuild our fund and it will slowly happen but it is very hard and very stressful. We have barely enough income just to support our family, let alone save. I know where you are coming from. The only advice I have for you is this: Work with your husband to create a plan. Do not place blame, do not allow money to damage your relationship. Stick together and fight together to rebuild your life into what you want it to be. I have seen way to many marriages on the verge of divorce due to money issues.

I haven't read through all of your thread, but I know there is a thread on here about selling gold. I think the company that people have made a good bit of money with... is U.S. Gold Buyers. Maybe you can skim that thread and see if that is something you might want to try. I have not tried it, but others on here have and some have made a good bit of money on things they have not worn in years. Plus it seems to be a quick transaction.....doesn't take but a few days. Worth checking into probably. Good luck.

Mb168-
Thanks foe mentioning following Thomasjstanley on Twitter! I went to his Twitter page solely because you mentioned it - and he had @'d me! I would have missed it if not for you!

I agree with the others...cancel the vacation and put any money from it towards your immediate needs.

And if those previous DVC stays were because you own DVC, sell your ownership to help pay the mortgage. You'll get out from under the maintenance fees as well.

This is all good advise.

I haven't read through all of your thread, but I know there is a thread on here about selling gold. I think the company that people have made a good bit of money with... is U.S. Gold Buyers. Maybe you can skim that thread and see if that is something you might want to try. I have not tried it, but others on here have and some have made a good bit of money on things they have not worn in years. Plus it seems to be a quick transaction.....doesn't take but a few days. Worth checking into probably. Good luck.

I sold some junk gold...I got $500, gold is at a all time high....but I would try someone local first.

I don't have any major words of wisdom, I just wanted to wish you and your family good luck. It's so easy place blame, just say to say "you made your bed, now lie in it". I might have done that at one time too. We're financially struggling right now too due to a combination of things including circumstances beyond our control, bad financial decisions, and overspending (including a Disney trip which at the time we thought we could afford).

As much as I hate the situation we're in, I am thankful for it in a strange sort of way. It has caused us to take a long hard look at our finances, come up with new long-term goals, and do a complete 180 on how we spend our money. I'm hopeful that as hard as it is right now, if we just keep plugging away, we'll come out ok in the end with a renewed respect for the almighty dollar and a better handle on what's really important in life. I'm confident that God will not give us more than we can handle.

Consider this a wake-up call, learn from it, don't let others get you down. Whether on a large or small scale we've all made bad financial decisions, even if we don't want to admit them. You'll know what the right thing for your family is regarding your Disney trip. Yes, you'll probably spend more in food than you would at home. Yes, you could make more money by renting out your points. Yes, it could be a stress reliever, the last one big hurrah that keeps your marriage intact and helps you to come back renewd and focus on your finances. Only you will know, what is best for your family right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter