How bad is the scooter situation?

I just spent a day in the Magic Kingdom on an ECV. If I had a nickel for every time a person either ran into me or almost did, because they were either texting, searching a purse or bag for something, talking to family members behind them, running while looking elsewhere, reading something on their phone, etc., I'd be rich. And I never ran into or honked at anyone-although perhaps I should have.

You know when you are driving and you see a pedestrian walk out, you grumble about idiot pedestrians, and when you are walking around and someone almost clips you on a crosswalk you grumble about arrogant drivers..... this is like that.

You know when you are driving and you see a pedestrian walk out, you grumble about idiot pedestrians, and when you are walking around and someone almost clips you on a crosswalk you grumble about arrogant drivers..... this is like that.

So true!

They do get priority on buses - but they can only put two on a bus. They are first on - and yep - they take up room and it slows the whole process of loading and unloading alot. That said - of all the times I have traveled to Disney - I only felt their priority effected me ONCE. One time leaving MK one night - the regular line was super long for my resort and I already hadn't gotten on the previous bus I was so far back in line. A scooter family came up after HUGE number of the people in line (so - lots of folks who had been waiting some time) - and they got priority to get on the next bus - with all 10 of their family members, too. I was about the 5th person in line who didn't make it on that bus - and we waited another 20 minutes for the next bus. This was a bad night.

Beyond that single example though, as an able bodied person, I don't find their presence to really influence my experienceas long as you understand that strollers and scooters and wheelchairs are a normal part of the experience. Like all the strollers - they are part of the crowd and you just cope. Yes - there's the occasional bad driver. But there is also that clueless walking family who decides to stop right in the middle of the pathway in front of you, too, causing a blockade. Or there might be that rude person with a stroller in store expecting you to move when you are examining merchandise because they can't fit their stroller through with you there. And then there are the idiots that do step too closely in front of strollers, or wheelchairs, or scooters. So - sure - there may be some rude folks you encounter - but those folks will come in all shapes and sizes and with and without mobility issues.

I have no problem with scooter users but I wish they could be loaded on and off buses more quickly. Two scooters can add significant time to a bus ride.

In the parks I've never had any issues.

I need an ECV at Disney. After 3back surgeries - I can walk - but not very far. With that said - despite people constantly walking in front of me or (worse) stopping in front of me suddenly - as far as I know - I have never hit anyone. I keep my speed at the lowest setting anytime I'm anywhere near any crowds. I also do not use the buses - I find if I go too slow up the ramp - my ECV thinks I'm sliding and freezes - if I set the speed faster - it can be difficult to make the sharp turn at the top of the ramp. But if I had a nickel for every dirty look - or parent with a stroller who cuts me off - or person who walks in front of me oblivious to their surroundings - I wouldn't need my ECV - I'd just hire a couple of hunky guys to carry me around in a sedan chair like Cleopatra!

The problem isn't necessarily the scooters in all instances - it's the people walking around on their cell phones texting, talking or trying to score another fast pass. What a wonderful way to spend your family vacation!

As a previous poster said, there are entitled people everywhere - some use ECVs, some have strollers and some have attitude.

But my wish for everyone at a Disney park is that they would give us (ECV users) the benefit of the doubt. Instead of looking at us and thinking "ugh, now it will take ages to load the bus" or "why should SHE get to see the show from there, when I don't?!" or "pah, she looks perfectly healthy AND she just stood up for a picture, there's nothing wrong with her!!" maybe they could think about the many, many users that genuinely need one and wish with all their hearts that they didn't. Like me.

Cos, you know, if you are thinking those horrible things, it's most likely showing on your face. And we see it, and it hurts a LOT. I spend a lot of time trying not to see ugly, aggressive and nasty faces from people when I'm waiting at the front of a bus queue, for example. I've been yelled at in the parks a few times, and I'm an experienced and careful driver with piles of respect for every variation of park guest and their families.

So I hope, OP, that we don't cause you to feel the 'scooter situation is out of control' (which I *think* means too many of them? In whoever's opinion?) but remember that one of the reasons disabled people like me choose WDW as a vacation destination is because we can be nearly able to do everything there, with our families, instead of virtually nothing in many other parts of the world. The majority of us don't mean to get in your way, cause you any inconvenience or in fact impact your day at all, but I'm certain able-bodied guests don't mean to cause us to be upset or feel inferior either. :) And believe me, if I could walk those miles and feel the burn and have the blisters and feel sorry for my sore feet, I would, in a heartbeat. <3

You said it very eloquently, wdw nutz! I have been on both sides of this issue and did get irritated at waiting for scooters to load on a bus. THEN, last year, I had to use a wheelchair for my plantars fasciitis. I couldn't walk very far at all but I could get to an attraction, park, and go in the queue, then back to the wheelchair. Sometimes I had to ride the W/C the entire way.
Anyway, no one wants to be a nuisance to others or get dirty looks. Believe me, it's no fun to look at others behinds all day, and fight through the crowds who don't see you or acknowledge you. It's like you are a non-person in a scooter or W/C. It's very difficult to navigate through crowds all the time so you can get to an attraction too, just like every one else. I think every one should use a W/C or scooter one day and see how much "fun" and "entitled" we are:)
This year, my husband will have to use a scooter due to back surgery. Whoopee, can't wait for that!
Please, people, have some compassion, because no one wants to have to use these. Like the PP said, it would be wonderful to be able to walk all over with sore feet at the end of the day.

My spouse, after being very fortunate for many years, has lupus and for the first time ever will have to use a scooter on our late February trip. She's the best trouper I've ever known and it took the Doctor pointing out that "walking up a flight of stairs should be an accomplishment " as sick as she is. Yet she works every day without complaint. I pray that other guests will be compassionate and understand that some people, while appearing healthy have life threatening conditions. But we've also talked about how the loading of scooters slows the buses down. Wouldn't you think, with technology, there would be a better way?

My spouse, after being very fortunate for many years, has lupus and for the first time ever will have to use a scooter on our late February trip. She's the best trouper I've ever known and it took the Doctor pointing out that "walking up a flight of stairs should be an accomplishment " as sick as she is. Yet she works every day without complaint. I pray that other guests will be compassionate and understand that some people, while appearing healthy have life threatening conditions. But we've also talked about how the loading of scooters slows the buses down. Wouldn't you think, with technology, there would be a better way?

Your wife should forget what others think. Someone will always think the worst of you. It's not worth it. I, too, have an invisible disease, and I used to feel guilty using my handicapped sticker on my car. But not anymore! It enables me to walk a little farther so I don't care what others think.
The important thing is that she has a good time and I know she will feel much better with a scooter. So go, and have fun:) My husband will be there with his scooter, too, in early February!

Like your spouse, I have lupus. And like you, I don't understand why it takes so long to load our scooters.

Part of it is that they can't keep the doors open while they are loading, and the bus driver has to walk back and forth while opening and closing the door and raising the ramp. But they have to keep the doors closed because guests rush the bus the moment the door opens.

The bus drivers have finally started helping people park. Sorry, most scooter riders don't ride scooters at home. Heck there are numerous companies who's entire business is renting scooters for Orlando theme parks. Our last trip, for the first time, bus drivers would drive my scooter, from the front, into the parking spot. I wish they would have done that in the beginning.

Working out every day? You go girl!

Yesterday I was in the Animal Kingdom and I noticed something that may give scooter drivers a bad name. As I mentioned, often people would come running straight at my scooter while looking the other way. So I had two choices-I could either turn suddenly and cut right in front of someone else, or (and this is what I did) just stop and let them figure out what to do (either look at the last second or run into a stationary object). Well, the problem with option #2 is that if people were walking behind me, they had to stop suddenly also, They probably walked away thinking "#$%^scooter-stopped suddenly right in front of me, so that I almost ran into the back of her" Sometimes it's difficult to see the entire situation.

All in all, I never had major problems with scooters in motion, provided they are being operated properly. It's the large number that let the kids ride on them that are where I have a major problem. This is something that should be stopped. When I got the one for my Mom they told us that it would drain the battery. I said, no worries, DGD was NOT going to be hitching any rides on it, that she was 8 and more than capable of walking. The CM at Bell Services praised me when I said that.

And it seems as though I've read where there is supposed to be a max speed on them and some of the unauthorized companies have scooters that exceed the max speed. Though I'm not certain this is accurate. I rented from an off site company but used an approved one so it could be left with bell services. They do need to be able to only go so fast.

All in all, I never had major problems with scooters in motion, provided they are being operated properly. It's the large number that let the kids ride on them that are where I have a major problem. This is something that should be stopped. When I got the one for my Mom they told us that it would drain the battery. I said, no worries, DGD was NOT going to be hitching any rides on it, that she was 8 and more than capable of walking. The CM at Bell Services praised me when I said that.

And it seems as though I've read where there is supposed to be a max speed on them and some of the unauthorized companies have scooters that exceed the max speed. Though I'm not certain this is accurate. I rented from an off site company but used an approved one so it could be left with bell services. They do need to be able to only go so fast.
So, there are approved vendors. Those are the ones that are allowed to leave their scooters at bell service. And then there are scooter companies that aren't on the list. That doesn't mean that they are unauthorized. Just that they didn't pay to be put on the list.

Since people can bring in their personal scooters, I can't imagine that there are "unauthorized" scooters. Of course there are ones that won't fit on a bus. Or don't have 3 wheels. But I'm not sure what companies you might be referring to.

So, there are approved vendors. Those are the ones that are allowed to leave their scooters at bell service. And then there are scooter companies that aren't on the list. That doesn't mean that they are unauthorized. Just that they didn't pay to be put on the list.

Since people can bring in their personal scooters, I can't imagine that there are "unauthorized" scooters. Of course there are ones that won't fit on a bus. Or don't have 3 wheels. But I'm not sure what companies you might be referring to.
Sorry, I used the wrong phrase. I mean approved vs. authorized

Last trip I didn't really notice them, I was more focused on pushing my daughter in her wheelchair. I did notice lots of people jumping in front of us, I guess I was going to slow or they thought I could zoom in and out like them which I couldn't and at least once their ankles learned that. I feel no guilt about that particular incident, people need to watch where they are going and don't jump in front of a wheelchair.

Last trip I didn't really notice them, I was more focused on pushing my daughter in her wheelchair. I did notice lots of people jumping in front of us, I guess I was going to slow or they thought I could zoom in and out like them which I couldn't and at least once their ankles learned that. I feel no guilt about that particular incident, people need to watch where they are going and don't jump in front of a wheelchair.
I had at least 3 people walk into me, broadside. At least one looked at me as though I had done something wrong. I told them that it is the same as a car, if you walk into me, it isn't my fault. Next time look up from your phone.

Honking my horn didn't help. I would stop dead, and people would still almost walk into the front of me, with me saying, "Look up, look up, look up."

Sorry, I used the wrong phrase. I mean approved vs. authorized
My point is, the "approved" list doesn't have anything to do with the type of scooter. It only has to do with delivery and possibly maintenance.

People aren't going fast because they are using unapproved scooters.

I had at least 3 people walk into me, broadside. At least one looked at me as though I had done something wrong. I told them that it is the same as a car, if you walk into me, it isn't my fault. Next time look up from your phone.

Honking my horn didn't help. I would stop dead, and people would still almost walk into the front of me, with me saying, "Look up, look up, look up."

This one particular time the guy fell on my daughter. No apologies, just nothing. Not sure what he was doing, it wasn't even crowded. We try to avoid walking in crowded areas, my daughter gets too claustrophobic being down below people. But seriously I am shocked by how unobservant people are. Oh well. I know it's horrible to say but my daughter isn't going on our next trip, she is too busy at home and it will be nice to not push a wheelchair on this trip. She laughed and said "we'd be able to enjoy not having idiots to watch out for". No worries though, she'll have another trip in a year or two and she might even try a scooter on that trip. :)

In our recent experience there were more scooters than I have ever seen, DH agrees. This may be on the increase due to the aging baby boomer generation. My own mother had to use one for one of our trips due to being in a boot from a broken bone right before our trip. She hated it and had a tough time driving it bc she had never used one before. I keep that in mind and determine to be gracious to the ECV crowd. We have also been stroller people and it's just crowded. Excuse me and a polite apology go a long way.
This trip, March 2017, was unlike any other, though. I have never experienced such rudeness, all around. There were a few highlights such as myself offering a couple with a melting down toddler our place in the princess meet line and a gentleman giving up his seat on transportation for me. The elderly scooter drivers were slow, sweet and kind. It was the younger ones, 30-50 who were awful. Riding up heals, honking, forming a line of 3 wide in walking paths. Cutting people off. Our last night truly took the cake in Epcot as a woman maybe late 40s let her teenage daughter on her lap, allowed teen to drive the scooter , while teen was texting. We were behind them at first and witness them nearly tip themselves as teen increased speed trying to zig zag, then hit a lady in the heals, then back up and hit the person directly behind them, then cut off two other pedestrians. It was obvious they were having a joyride at everyone's expense. At the entry display we lost track of them. We stopped briefly to put a few things in our backpack and then proceeded to walk towards exit gates, my husband and young child holding hands walking in front of me and my other kids by a about 10 feet. Zip! Here comes scooter lady past me on my left and teen is losing control again headed right for my daughter. I yell stop! And DH reacts pulling our daughter out of the way by inches. At that point I went full on Momma Bear on this lady. As well as alerting security (she had whizzed past at least 4-6 security people, and they did nothing, said nothing, but agreed she was not being safe). I told her I saw you hit people and keep going and you KNOW you are not supposed to lap ride. You are dangerous! She proceeded to cuss us out, call us nasty and feign fear of us. Let me just say she is lucky she didn't hit my kid.

This will not likely be a popular thought but I think a small percentage of increase in the number of ECV's used we see are from an increase in laziness in society.
Now, by no means do I think that everyone who appears healthy is. I understand there are many hidden issues that prevent folks from walking all day in the parks. I get that. Totally. And I think a majority of ECV users do truly need them to survive a day in the parks. But if you think that no one has ever rented a scooter just because their feet get tired you would be mistaken. I think there is an increase in this happening. And for whatever reason, those who rent simply because they have tired feet also tend to be more rude, less considerate of others than those who truly need an ECV to survive a day in the parks. I think this is why there seems to be an increase in rude behavior from ECV users.
Plus, you have a fair number of people who are just more self absorbed and rude in general. Being rude is no longer as taboo as it was at one time. Sad.

Not to leave out the overall increase in crowds making it harder to maneuver ECV in the crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter