• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How bad is the scooter situation?

Atrain13

Mouseketeer
So I know this could rub people the wrong way, but I've read from other people, on other sites, that the scooter situation at Disney can get a little out of control. The main site I've read it on is pretty much full of meat head idiots so I take what they say with a grain of salt, but I'm sure there's some truth to what I've heard.
I'm not one to really judge others on what they do with their life, but since I work in healthcare I know first hand how out of control things are. My thoughts are pretty much as long as it doesn't disrupt my life or my time then I really don't care. But do people on scooters get special treatment? Do they get to cut in from of lines at the buses? Do they just cut their way threw crowds? I'm hoping that since I'm going when it's slower, I won't have to worry about as many people (on scooters or not), but on the more busy days, is it something I should keep an eye out for?

Granted I have little room to talk, I'm taking a stroller to push my daughter around, but I don't believe we are owed anything because she will be in it a good amount of the time.

I think you do have to be aware of them (just like in automobiles, the drivers have different amounts of skill in driving them and different amounts of consideration for those around them).

overall it's really not bad. It really depends on the crowd and how courteous they are. Even in a packed crowd, if they are nice and dont keep getting in the way of the rider then you really don't notice them except to be courteous yourself. There isn't a brake on them and there is slight delay to start or stop them so sometimes there really is no option but to cut someone off before you roll over some child or someone that just stepped in front of them and that's really the key to scooter bliss and co-habitation. Just think of how many times you get cut off walking and now do it in a scooter that can't stop within 5 seconds even if you let go of the throttle. That's how you need to act around them and watch the kids a little closer. Most people will clear the way for you and that just makes it better for everyone.

I had to use one for about a month and I got the hang of how to coexist although there was one cm situation in AK where the cm was just clueless in how you can't move it the way they needed you too. Basically horrible how they handled the jungle book cast leaving the theater and rushing through the crowd. they should have lifted the rope to turn out of the way instead of screaming at guests who can't move where they wanted them to go (and the annoying crowd that made it even more impossible for them when there was room.

Now there is a lot of "cluessless" families for lack of a better word. They don't really help the family member that got a scooter for and has it turned up to speed 11 and can't handle the speed and control it and can't figure out how to slow it down.. Also some really should have stepped up and pushed a wheelchair around as the person wouldn't operate one in their normal day let alone in a disney crowd. You really need to think about the situation when picking wheelchair or scooter for a family member with mobility needs.

Last edited:
There are too many scooters in use at the parks, no question.
There is a lot of scooter abuse (kids riding on them, standing on them, folks going too fast, etc)
I can't say they get special treatment though. They get loaded on the bus first because they have to, you can't load one with people on the bus but they also can only fit 2 on a bus so it's possible for them to have to wait longer for another bus. One area they do abuse often is the number of guests with the scooter that is supposed to load first. They signs say scooter plus 6 (I think) but I've yet to see that enforced and the drivers load however many guests there are with the scooter user. No matter if it 1 or 10.
And there are many users on them who are not careful so you need to watch for them, both to avoid cutting them off and to avoid being hit by them not knowing how to drive them well.

Disclaimer, I have traveled with a scooter user 1 time. My mom is over 70 and can't walk well. The only way for her to go to Disney was to use a scooter. So I have some first hand experience. It was her first time to ever use one and she found it very easy so I don't buy that some of the bad driving is from inexperience. Because if anyone was going to struggle using one, it would have been my Mom. If she did it so well, it couldn't be that hard

I'm not sure what you mean by "out of control." WDW is no different than a mall or stadium or any other crowded public place. A certain percentage of the guests have medical conditions, which may or may not be visible, and which require them to use some kind of mobility device. Some of those people are skilled at maneuvering their mobility device, some not as skilled.

I'm not sure what you mean by "out of control." WDW is no different than a mall or stadium or any other crowded public place. A certain percentage of the guests have medical conditions, which may or may not be visible, and which require them to use some kind of mobility device. Some of those people are skilled at maneuvering their mobility device, some not as skilled.
Maybe not but I go to all the home football games in a stadium that holds 100k+ people, so more than in the parks in a typical day. I have never seen ANYONE using an ECV. I see some electric wheelchairs/manual wheelchairs but no one rents an ECV to make it to their seats. And it's a long walk (think 3x the ramps to the Monorail from Epcot) from the lower to the upper levels.

And I never see ECV users in the mall either. Though I don't go there that often

I'm not saying that some do NEED them to get through the parks. As I said, my Mom was in that category and I'm sure to anyone who looked at her, other than it's obvious she's a senior citizen, she didn't look like she needs one. But I also know that there are folks who rent them just because they get tired. Fine, they see that as a reason to get one and I don't. But I won't go so far as to say they NEED it. They WANT it. There is a difference.

I've had some bad experiences but not enough to ruin it completely. We do cab/Uber back from the parks more and more though so as to not deal with the crowds at the buses (and have rented a car as well). I know now at MK at least they try to discourage ecv's and wheelchairs to get to skip the line as the wheelchairs/ecv are suppose to enter the regular queue and not go to the wheelchair/ecv load area until they get to that gate. It isn't always enforced but I have seen it enforced late at night when there are extra transportation CMs about. The real problem isn't the 2 ECVs/Wheelchairs but when their entire extended party wants to load with them even if they were the last people to get to the line.

We were at MK on 12/28 and in the afternoon it was really crowded. We had an amazing day and had no issues with wheelchairs, scooters or big strollers. We had a Maclaren stroller with us tagged as a wheelchair.

I did help a lady out on a scooter because she was trying to get through the crowd by splash mountain/Big Thunder and there were so many rude people pushing their way through the crowd instead of just going with the flow. They were getting in front of her and stopping. The ladies family left her to navigate herself. She was older maybe in her 70's. She was very thankful.

I can't comment on the bus system because we always stay at a monorail resort. The monorail cast members seemed to be fast and helpful getting scooters and wheelchairs on and off.

Basically, scooters are treated like wheelchairs. Keep in mind the average trek around the parks is 6 miles a day. Even if some people can be mobile going to a mall or wherever the Disney parks are just too tough.

Boarding a scooter on Disney transportation is somewhat dangerous if the bus is loaded and that's why they board first. As stated already there are usually only 2 spots available. On the reverse side, scooters and wheelchairs get off the bus last when exiting.

Until lack of mobility hits home directly it will be hard for anyone to understand.

Just as there is a need for strollers; so, is there a need for scooters.

They do get priority on buses - but they can only put two on a bus. They are first on - and yep - they take up room and it slows the whole process of loading and unloading alot. That said - of all the times I have traveled to Disney - I only felt their priority effected me ONCE. One time leaving MK one night - the regular line was super long for my resort and I already hadn't gotten on the previous bus I was so far back in line. A scooter family came up after HUGE number of the people in line (so - lots of folks who had been waiting some time) - and they got priority to get on the next bus - with all 10 of their family members, too. I was about the 5th person in line who didn't make it on that bus - and we waited another 20 minutes for the next bus. This was a bad night.

Beyond that single example though, as an able bodied person, I don't find their presence to really influence my experienceas long as you understand that strollers and scooters and wheelchairs are a normal part of the experience. Like all the strollers - they are part of the crowd and you just cope. Yes - there's the occasional bad driver. But there is also that clueless walking family who decides to stop right in the middle of the pathway in front of you, too, causing a blockade. Or there might be that rude person with a stroller in store expecting you to move when you are examining merchandise because they can't fit their stroller through with you there. And then there are the idiots that do step too closely in front of strollers, or wheelchairs, or scooters. So - sure - there may be some rude folks you encounter - but those folks will come in all shapes and sizes and with and without mobility issues.

As long as they don't take over the transport system i guess I really don't mind that much. Unless they almost run over my daughter, then I can see myself exchanging words.
And I understand some people do need them, I have no problem with that. It's just the ones that take advantage or that are rude/entitled that will bother me.

Granted, I really shouldn't be that bothered by it.

I've had more bad experiences than good with ECV users. Honking at us, ramming our legs, parked in the middle of the walkway for Osborne Lights (it was about 8 scooters wide), taking forever and a day to get on the bus, adults letting children drive them from their laps, etc. We also witnessed a woman crash hers off the bus ramp at DS.

Yes I know people need them. I get it. Personally, I wish I they weren't there, but they are so we just try and ignore them. Unfortunately, we seem to attract the negative ECV drivers like a magnet!

That's what I'm worried about, the ones that think they're entitled. With that said, I have no problem telling someone off if it involves my daughter.

That's what I'm worried about, the ones that think they're entitled. With that said, I have no problem telling someone off if it involves my daughter.
I ride a scooter every time I go. That said, the worst experiences I've had have been with strollers.

Like the woman at the grand Floridian who told the bus driver that the concierge told us we could put it on the bus without folding it up. And I am getting on the bus without folding it. Of. Course it held everyone up.

Or the person that kindly told me that if I could take my scooter into line she should be able to take her stroller into line. And then tried to shove it in front of me. And no it wasn't a stroller as a wheelchair.

Or the family that was upset that I could park my scooter close to the event when they had to park their stroller further away. And made it very clear that they thought that I was acting entitled.

They are entitled people everywhere. Some drive scooters. Some drive strollers.

I have never found them to be that bad and haven't been hit by one yet. Most (90%) of them are grandparents with their families, I personally would hate to try and ride one around because you can't get anywhere in crowds. After parades and fireworks, forget it. I always let them go first if I see them in front of me waiting, what a nightmare. It seems nearly impossible to drive at a decent speed in a crowd hence the run-ins with people. No special treatment, other than they get on first with the bus but that's a safety and space issue so there you go.

I really hope I'm not coming off bad here and as I said in my first post, most of my info is from meat heads and I don't hold much value to their opinion on disney.

As a previous poster said, there are entitled people everywhere - some use ECVs, some have strollers and some have attitude.

But my wish for everyone at a Disney park is that they would give us (ECV users) the benefit of the doubt. Instead of looking at us and thinking "ugh, now it will take ages to load the bus" or "why should SHE get to see the show from there, when I don't?!" or "pah, she looks perfectly healthy AND she just stood up for a picture, there's nothing wrong with her!!" maybe they could think about the many, many users that genuinely need one and wish with all their hearts that they didn't. Like me.

Cos, you know, if you are thinking those horrible things, it's most likely showing on your face. And we see it, and it hurts a LOT. I spend a lot of time trying not to see ugly, aggressive and nasty faces from people when I'm waiting at the front of a bus queue, for example. I've been yelled at in the parks a few times, and I'm an experienced and careful driver with piles of respect for every variation of park guest and their families.

So I hope, OP, that we don't cause you to feel the 'scooter situation is out of control' (which I *think* means too many of them? In whoever's opinion?) but remember that one of the reasons disabled people like me choose WDW as a vacation destination is because we can be nearly able to do everything there, with our families, instead of virtually nothing in many other parts of the world. The majority of us don't mean to get in your way, cause you any inconvenience or in fact impact your day at all, but I'm certain able-bodied guests don't mean to cause us to be upset or feel inferior either. :) And believe me, if I could walk those miles and feel the burn and have the blisters and feel sorry for my sore feet, I would, in a heartbeat. <3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter