Hotels in San Diego---UPDATED---BW Island Palms, pg 3

Thanks for the feedback on the Homewood Suites. We have booked a family suite because we're a family of 6. We'll be there mid April. One day at Seaworld, one day of relaxing and one day of not sure what yet?

This Homewood Suites is the #1 rated hotel for San Diego on TripAdvisor now. I'm looking at it for a SeaWorld visit before our cruise. Did you book directly with the hotel or find a good deal? Thanks.

I just booked directly with the hotel. As far as I know it was just the regular price?

momtoccc,

I tried to check out your trip report, but none of your pictures are showing up.

momtoccc,

I tried to check out your trip report, but none of your pictures are showing up.

That trip report is old and I know I've moved all my pics in photobucket to a separate album so the links are broken - sorry! I probably should take it out of my siggy..

Will you post after your trip and let me know how the hotel was? Thanks! :thumbsup2

Sure I'll let you know. I should be able to post something around April 23 when we're back home. I don't think I'll be doing any internet stuff during the trip.

The Homewood was a great hotel. Very new and clean. We had a suit with two bedrooms and two full baths. The middle room had sofa bed and full kitchen. All three rooms had HD flat screen tv's. We need the big room as we're a family of 6.

The pool was a nice size and the hot tub was large and warm. The grounds were very clean and everything seemed fresh. Noticed the jets coming and going during the day at the pool, but not at all in the room or at night.

The breakfasts and suppers provided were pretty good. Sometimes it was hard to get a table, because it was busy and we're a large group. I think breakfast was 7 to 10 and supper was 5:30 to 7:30.

I had a bit of trouble doing laundry one night. There are two seperate towers, but only one laundry room per tower. There seemed to be a number of rooms rented to guys who are there for work with extended stays. One guy told me he had to work the next day and wanted me to remove my laundry from the washer so he could do his. I refused as I was waiting for an empty dryer and he seemed a little put off. Maybe the guy was having a bad day, but he was a jerk.

Overall a good place. We were on the 3rd floor and there a fitness room down the hall. 10 minute drive to Seaworld and about the same to the zoo.

San Diego was a great change of pace after spending 6 days in LA/Disneyland.

I would highly recommend this place.

Thanks for all the advice. We ended up getting a great rate at the Best Western Island Palms. Even though they don't offer breakfast as some of the other hotels, we aren't big breakfast eaters anyway. Coffee and a bagel/mufin work for us.

We love Shelter Island (where the Island Palms is). We like to stay at the Bay Club which is also on the island. It's a short drive to the Zoo and downtown. Excellent choice! (Be aware there is no "beach" to speak of but the views are lovely and there are tons of boats parked in the marina which are fun to watch)

We love Shelter Island (where the Island Palms is). We like to stay at the Bay Club which is also on the island. It's a short drive to the Zoo and downtown. Excellent choice! (Be aware there is no "beach" to speak of but the views are lovely and there are tons of boats parked in the marina which are fun to watch)

Thanks for the report. We are getting excited to go. Only 1 week left. We are starting to pack this weekend. As for "no beach" we aren't big sun-worshipping beach people , so the marina views work well.

Hi redsox,

I hope to hear a review on the Island Palms too. On bestwestern.com you can get a room there for $119 advance purchase for my end of June trip, so I think I will book it too... but I'd still love to hear your opinion. Have a great trip!

We stayed at the Bay Club in '03 on our honeymoon and we loved it! You can't beat the central location. We also loved crosing the street and strolling along the bay. We also saw a few ships. Wish we could go back!

The Homewood was a great hotel. Very new and clean. We had a suit with two bedrooms and two full baths. The middle room had sofa bed and full kitchen. All three rooms had HD flat screen tv's. We need the big room as we're a family of 6.

The pool was a nice size and the hot tub was large and warm. The grounds were very clean and everything seemed fresh. Noticed the jets coming and going during the day at the pool, but not at all in the room or at night.

The breakfasts and suppers provided were pretty good. Sometimes it was hard to get a table, because it was busy and we're a large group. I think breakfast was 7 to 10 and supper was 5:30 to 7:30.

I had a bit of trouble doing laundry one night. There are two seperate towers, but only one laundry room per tower. There seemed to be a number of rooms rented to guys who are there for work with extended stays. One guy told me he had to work the next day and wanted me to remove my laundry from the washer so he could do his. I refused as I was waiting for an empty dryer and he seemed a little put off. Maybe the guy was having a bad day, but he was a jerk.

Overall a good place. We were on the 3rd floor and there a fitness room down the hall. 10 minute drive to Seaworld and about the same to the zoo.

San Diego was a great change of pace after spending 6 days in LA/Disneyland.

I would highly recommend this place.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope we enjoy the hotel as much. We are not heading to LA/San Diego until early August and don't want to wish summer away, but I can't wait to get away.:)

Just returned from our trip. The Best Western Island Palms is amazing. We loved it. The room was beautiful. It was large and clean with comfortable beds. The staff was very friendly. The grounds were beautiful also. there is a nice "park" area across the street to walk around. The marina is on the other side of the hotel and is nice to watch the boats. It is close to the airport, zoo and other attractions.

EDIT----I removed the links to pictures so I could try and post them directly. I posted them in a post below.

Just returned from our trip. The Best Western Island Palms is amazing. We loved it. The room was beautiful. It was large and clean with comfortable beds. The staff was very friendly. The grounds were beautiful also. there is a nice "park" area across the street to walk around. The marina is on the other side of the hotel and is nice to watch the boats. It is close to the airport, zoo and other attractions.

Here are some links to pictures. I tried to post the pictures but it didn't work. Sorry you need to see them by way of a link.

sunrise from our balcony
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4752/4/45/23/75/83/5/583752345406_0_ALB.jpg

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4752/4/45/23/75/63/5/563752345406_0_ALB.jpg

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4752/4/45/23/75/53/9/953752345406_0_ALB.jpg

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4752/4/45/23/75/53/2/253752345406_0_ALB.jpg

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4752/4/45/23/75/63/7/763752345406_0_ALB.jpg

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4752/4/45/23/75/73/2/273752345406_0_ALB.jpg

I can't view any of your pictures: the link says "forbidden". Can you post maybe one or two?

I can't view any of your pictures: the link says "forbidden". Can you post maybe one or two?

I tried to post pictures before but it didn't work. Let me know if this works. (my co-worker is a major DIS poster. she showed me how she posts pictures)

sunrise from our balcony

BW1.jpg

BW2.jpg

BW3.jpg

BW4.jpg

BW5.jpg

Thx for those photos, we'll be staying there in a month. For $104 it seems like a steal!

That is a steal. We paid $107.00 (AAA rate) and we very pleased. Since this is your honeymoon I'll assume it's only two of you. If you booked a regular room and not a suite, try and request room 546 in the Casa section. It's a corner room so you get a large window and the balcony. WONDERFUL!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter