• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hoop de doo or kona cafe

rjrcstan

Earning My Ears
This is my family's first WDW trip (boys 5 & 7) and we have two days designated for MK. One of those nights is a party night. My original thought was that I was going to spend the day in MK and then head to Kona cafe for a 6:45 dinner reservation. After reading the reviews for hoop de doo I am thinking about switching this to the 6:15 show. If I did HDD what time would I have to leave the park? What do you think is the better choice? TIA

Hands down, hoop de doo!!! your boys will love it. I have eaten at the Kona Café and was not impressed with menu or atmosphere.

Not sure how much time it will take for you to travel to the hoop de do. Hopefully someone give you an idea. A lot will depend on mode of travel, etc. (bus, car).

I agree completely with Disneypapa. Hoop Dee Doo is a wonderful experience. We work it into our plans every year. From Magic Kingdom, take the boat to Fort Wilderness and allow 1 hour. You will need to factor in the transportation wait and travel time and also the time to check in once there. Hoop Dee Doo also has a photo opportunity outside before they begin seating guests. You won't have to worry about getting a good position in line before they open the show. The seats are already assigned at time of booking.

Yes, Hoop de Doo. Better than the MK party IMHO!!! It's a ton of fun and you can go to the stables next door to see the WDW horses and even play on the playground. Ft. W is super fun to visit. Poly is nice, too, but Kona just doesn't compare.

HDDR by a long shot. It is a really fun evening. I agree with leaving the MK an hour ahead if you are going to take the boat.

When you're figuring out when to leave MK, don't forget that you'll need to check into HDDR well before 6:15. I think HDDR is a great choice!

We are doing Hoop on a party night as well. It was my number 1 choice for ADRs with two boys. I know it's corny but I loved it in 1988 and I can't wait to go back!!

I've done both multiple times. If money is no object, then DEFINITELY Hoop De Doo. My first visit to Kona, I had a great meal. The last 2 visits were more on the mediocre side. I've always enjoyed the meal and the entertainment at HDDR. So, the only downside is that HDDR is pricier. But as I started, if money is not an issue, then go with what basically everyone here told you. :)

There is no comparison. Hoop definitely. I do like Kona but no question will be a hit for your family.

Hoop absolutely! Your boys are the PERFECT age and will love it and the food is good too!!

Another vote for HDDR, especially with kids. The show is a lot of fun and the food is yummy with a variety of options if anyone is picky. The food at Kona is tasty, but other than that it's a hotel restaurant. Not much fun. I'd also leave MK an hour before your show time and just take the Fort Wilderness boat from there (between the ferry & monorail). Afterwards you can take the boat back to MK and Disney transport from there "home."

HDDR is fantastic for kids that age! When my son was 5, they actually put him in the show as the Texas ranger. It was such a great memory!

Thank you all so much for your input and helping me decide! HDDR sounds great and since we're on the DDP and have no 2pt experiences lined up this one may just be it!

For HDDR, leave by boat at least 45 mins ahead to give you time to get checked in, boat ride, etc. As for the meals, I prefer Kona over HDDR food. I don't think there is any comparison. HDDR food is not bad, but its simple comfort food. The show is great!

I agree HDDR is the better choice. It is just fun. It does take a while to get there and back so plan accordingly.

We have a consensus! The only possible downsides to HDDR are 1) Take longer, 2) Cost, and 3) It's an event. Any chance the kids might be tuckered out after a long day at the parks? That would be my only concern, otherwise it's a no-brainer. :earsboy:

We have a consensus! The only possible downsides to HDDR are 1) Take longer, 2) Cost, and 3) It's an event. Any chance the kids might be tuckered out after a long day at the parks? That would be my only concern, otherwise it's a no-brainer. :earsboy:

Yes, they might be tuckered out, but the show is so high-energy, fun and stimulating that they probably won't collapse until it's over! (And you have to carry them the rest of the way home :crazy2:.)

We left from animal kingdom to head to hoop de doo an hour before our reservation. Got there with plenty of time to spare but I wanted to make sure we were early. This was our first time and my daughter just loved the show. She said it's a must if we ever make it back to Disney! We took the boat to the contemporary. Worst boat ride ever!!! Not sure what was going on that night but the bugs were horrendous. The entire boat ride we kept our faces down and tucked in our shirts. Not anyone's fault of course! The boat driver kept apologizing and saying the bugs weren't normally that bad. So if you start walking towards the boats and see swarms of bugs....beware! lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter