Homeschool Chat Part III

Hi! I am a homeschool mom of two kiddos who will be in 4th and 8th grades next year. We have used Abeka for the last two years, but we are looking for something different this time. We want something more "hands-on" for science and history/social studies. They get bored easily reading material in a book and testing on it. I don't blame them! We are returning to teaching textbooks for math, and I'm still thinking on language/reading. Any suggestions? I do like Christian focused curriculum, and there are times they need to do their work independently for the most part (I work part time night shifts as an RN at a hospital, but sporadically). Any advice is appreciated! TIA!

Sounds like you're finding stuff, but some other recommendations...I like Queen Homeschool Language Arts workbooks. They contain all kinds of skill building, from grammar to writing to narration, all in one book. They require little instruction from me.
Also, the apologia books have supplements for making a notebook with drawings and projects (for example, my son made a diorama of sea life for the swimming creatures book) which you can do straight from the book or with the supplemental notebook.
We like Sonlight for history, etc as it is more real books and not text books. We don't do tests, as I can tell from talking to the kids if they are getting it or not.
My dd20 just got into a good college with a good scholarship having only ever used SL for history, reading, etc.

Hope that helps...curriculum choices can be VERY overwhelming.

Sounds like you're finding stuff, but some other recommendations...I like Queen Homeschool Language Arts workbooks. They contain all kinds of skill building, from grammar to writing to narration, all in one book. They require little instruction from me.
Also, the apologia books have supplements for making a notebook with drawings and projects (for example, my son made a diorama of sea life for the swimming creatures book) which you can do straight from the book or with the supplemental notebook.
We like Sonlight for history, etc as it is more real books and not text books. We don't do tests, as I can tell from talking to the kids if they are getting it or not.
My dd20 just got into a good college with a good scholarship having only ever used SL for history, reading, etc.

Hope that helps...curriculum choices can be VERY overwhelming.

Yes, they can be!! If I had been a homeschooled child, I would've LOVED Sonlight! I love to read. My two...not so much. My DD does like it some (she's reading the whole Percy Jackson series now. She loves that kind of stuff), but my son HATES to read. He's great at it, he just doesn't like it. Hoping he outgrow it...

Congrats on your DD scholarship!! That's wonderful!! We have gotten away from testing much as well. I just give them one every once in a while to make sure they are getting it. I don't grade them, I just have them redo things they miss. I will start keeping up with grades when DD gets to 9th grade, so I can make her a HS transcript. Thank you so much for your advice!!

In the last 2 days of news alone I have come across reports of: -2 separate schools on lock down for hours yesterday due to completely separate issues of weapons being found in the school. -3 school board members being arrested and admitting to lying to the police falsely accusing the superintendent of trying to run them over with a car. -1 teen caught with multiple bombs and explosives under his bed intending to kill his entire family and duplicate the Columbine Attack. (Thank God he got caught!) - 1 Bus Driver who after calling her students racial slurs decided she had enough of the "loud and rowdy kids" and stopped the bus in the middle of a bridge, threw the bus keys at a student and walked out. Can I just say how grateful that DH and I decided to take the Homeschooling route!!!::yes:: And people call US the crazy ones!:rolleyes2

Locally, there have been two lockdowns reported in the news in the past few weeks along with two kids arrested for luring another kid into the bathroom, robbing him of $8 and beating him up, leaving him in there bleeding with a broken nose ( high school). Oh, and another kid is on trial for brining a pipe bomb to his high school a few years ago. Scary stuff!

I've got a question I'm hoping a few of you can help me out with.... With Mid Term Elections next week a lot of the people running keep throwing around the words "Common Core". Am I right in assuming that it is a nationalizing the educational requirements for public school. Can anyone explain the impact of it on home schooling?

I've got a question I'm hoping a few of you can help me out with.... With Mid Term Elections next week a lot of the people running keep throwing around the words "Common Core". Am I right in assuming that it is a nationalizing the educational requirements for public school. Can anyone explain the impact of it on home schooling?

You are correct, I'm not sure of the homeschooling impacts, but it is not a good thing in my opinion. We have it for math and reading here in Florida and the math sucks...so much better the way we were all taught.

I *think* (it may vary from state to state) common core has found it's way into standardized testing throughout school grade levels. I have read some blurbs where common core will also impact college admission testing. I haven't read about it in depth. But the tentacles are far reaching and deep. The implication for homeschoolers if this information is correct, is they will need to know this stuff too, to compete for college admission. But again, I don't know for certain. :(

I have questions and concerns about who came up with common core standards. I'm not a fan. I haven't come across anyone that is a fan. Particularly teachers! It's all very concerning.

I'm just about to purchase tickets for the homeschool day this fall. I will be purchasing for my mom and her friend, my husband and 5 of our 6 children since the youngest will only be 2. I notice that it says only immediate family members and adult chaperones of the students attending ate eligible to buy these tickets. Will I be able to put all 9 of us on the same order, or should I put my mom and her friend with 2 of our kids (as their chaperones) and on a separate order put my husband, me and our 3 other children? I also want to purchase the photopass (or memory maker) for our group. Will we need to be all one group in order to link us to the same memory maker pass?

I'm just about to purchase tickets for the homeschool day this fall. I will be purchasing for my mom and her friend, my husband and 5 of our 6 children since the youngest will only be 2. I notice that it says only immediate family members and adult chaperones of the students attending ate eligible to buy these tickets. Will I be able to put all 9 of us on the same order, or should I put my mom and her friend with 2 of our kids (as their chaperones) and on a separate order put my husband, me and our 3 other children? I also want to purchase the photopass (or memory maker) for our group. Will we need to be all one group in order to link us to the same memory maker pass?

Gosh, I don't know! You may have better luck on the Budget Board. There is usually a YES thread over there and I would think it would be the same for homeschool days.

I would try the registration process and see. You cannot have more adults and children unless you have an only child. Then they will let two adults get tickets. The system should let you do all together. If not, domain two registrations

You can link all your photo pass cards/magic bands to the memory maker.

I am so happy to see a thread on this. I have considered home schooling for a while now. Mostly because I am somewhat too protective over my daughter. When I was 3 months pregnant for her, my husband, a Marine, was killed and now she is an amazing almost 2 yr old. I am very protective over her. I always hear of these crazy things happening in schools these days as well as some of the things that children are exposed to from OTHER children in schools. My biggest worries that maybe some of you seasoned home schoolers can help me with are these. How will she be socially? Is there something that you do such as have get togethers with other home schoolers or anything like that so that your children have friends? Also, do you have a normal school day? Like with certain hours? Does the school district give you the material? Sorry to ask so much, lol. I am just very curious. As far as what was stated in the original post about some people who may voice their negative opinions on this, I think that it is completely amazing to want to and to be able to do that for your kids. Can you imagine how much more time you have gotten to spend with your children than parents who send their children to school? Children are supposed to be with their parents as much as possible. That's my opinion anyway. So, I applaud all of you! :)

I am so happy to see a thread on this. I have considered home schooling for a while now. Mostly because I am somewhat too protective over my daughter. When I was 3 months pregnant for her, my husband, a Marine, was killed and now she is an amazing almost 2 yr old. I am very protective over her. I always hear of these crazy things happening in schools these days as well as some of the things that children are exposed to from OTHER children in schools. My biggest worries that maybe some of you seasoned home schoolers can help me with are these. How will she be socially? Is there something that you do such as have get togethers with other home schoolers or anything like that so that your children have friends? Also, do you have a normal school day? Like with certain hours? Does the school district give you the material? Sorry to ask so much, lol. I am just very curious. As far as what was stated in the original post about some people who may voice their negative opinions on this, I think that it is completely amazing to want to and to be able to do that for your kids. Can you imagine how much more time you have gotten to spend with your children than parents who send their children to school? Children are supposed to be with their parents as much as possible. That's my opinion anyway. So, I applaud all of you! :)

First of all, God bless you and your family. Your husband made the ultimate sacrifice to protect the freedoms we have, like homeschooling. While your daughter will not meet her daddy in this life, she should be proud of the fact that he is a hero. We are not military, but we live in a military town (near Ft. Benning) and I am constantly amazed at the strength, loyalty, resilience, and love I see in the many military families we know.

As for your questions, socialization is somewhat of a joke in the homeschool community. It is the first question people ask and the one they need to worry about the least! If your child is shy, she will be shy at home or at school. Same as if she is outgoing, quiet, loud, an introvert, extravert, active, passive, etc. Each state has different homeschooling laws that vary widely. www.hslda.org is a great place to see what your state requires and also for links to local homeschooling support groups. In general, the school district will supply you with nothing. There are no tax breaks or subsidies for homeschooling, you can spend a ton of money or next to nothing depending on what you decide to do. My kids have friends through homeschooling groups, the neighborhood, Scouts, baseball, music lessons, church, etc. Their social calendar is so heavy it is almost crippling at times. Our state (Georgia) requires 4-1/2 hours of instruction per day for 180 days per year for each year after age 6. As I mentioned before, it is different state to state. We, personally, do not have set school hours. We are what is considered eclectic/unschool homeschoolers. Other people do have set times and do "school at home". Totally up to you and your child. Your daughter is very young yet. The best advice I can give you is to read, read, read to her. Once she gets a bit older, consider attending a homeschooling convention/curriculum fair nearby. They have them in just about every state, usually in the spring or summer. You can search for local HSing groups and see if they have a park day you can attend. We loved our park days when the kids were littler! If you have any other specific questions, I'm sure those of us who have been doing this for a while will help in any way that we can! Enjoy that baby girl, they grow up SO fast!

How will she be socially?

Pretty much the same as if she went to public or private school. You find weird / shy / outgoing / gifted kids in each type of environment. Kids are pretty much kids based on their genetics and how you raise them. Unless you plan on locking your daughter in a closet or something she will be fine.

Think about it. Have you ever seen a kid and known automatically that they were homeschooled? I use to think it was so funny when someone asked where I or my sister went to school. I still think it is funny when people ask where I went to school. Shouldn't it be obvious to them that we are weird homeschoolers? Why should they need to ask if homeschoolers are so unsocialized as to not be able to fit into society? Everyone we have ever told has been surprised because we are so normal we just couldn't have been homeschooled.

I honestly think the socialization misconception has continued because until very recently, the only media attention homeschoolers have gotten has been pretty negative or about families at the extreme end of the unschool or religious homeschooling spectrum. Not everyone keeps their kids indoors all day, or is extremely religious, or has gifted kids, or doesn't teach their kids to read. But those are the types of families that all get pushed forward in the media. It makes better drama. I remember an episode of wife swap one time with a family who homeschooled, who pretty much only taught the daughters to cook and clean and told them their only purpose in life was to be a mommy. The mom didn't take them out or encourage them in academics because all they needed was a domestic life. The show of course made it appear like all homeschoolers were like this. The truth is they aren't. Most families are just average families. Ones who for whatever reason (money, bad school district, incident at school, school let child fall through crack, etc. ) has decided that public education isn't working for them anymore.

I can't promise you your kid won't be weird if you homeschool her. I can only tell you she won't be any weirder than any other kid out there who goes to school. At least that's what the research shows. There has never been any kind of evidence provided to show that homeschooled children have any type of socialization issues. In fact, the only research currently out there has proven the opposite.

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/dec/13/home-schooling-socialization-not-problem/

That homeschooled children perform socially as well or better than their counterparts who go to school. Some even argue that homeschool children are better able to interact in the real world because they learn early on to deal with people of all ages and spend more time as a child interacting in the real world, then kids stuck sitting behind a desk all day.

Think about it. I'm a kid who goes to school. I sit in a room of say 20-30 other kids my age, but I can't really talk to them or interact with them except at lunch or recess. So basically, I was at school all day but maybe only spent a couple hours of that interacting with other kids. Then everyone I interacted with was my same age, exposed to all the same ideas and knowledge, and about my same maturity.

Compare that scenario to a homeschooled child who spends part of the day working one on one, part of the day socializing with kids of different ages, part of the day with kids their own age, part of the day out at the bank, grocery store, or maybe Dad's work interacting with adults and learning about how to function in the real world. Plus all these other homeschool kids maybe learning or studying different things, so the child becomes exposed to other ideas as well. Also, many homeschool kids still interact with school children through friends, sports, activities, or maybe church, so they are still exposed to "normal" children as well.

Is there something that you do such as have get togethers with other home schoolers or anything like that so that your children have friends?

Yes - play dates, birthday parties, back to school parties, end of year parties, holiday parties, just because parties, field day, yearbook, prom, graduation, field trips, co-ops, art classes, gym classes, computer / technical classes, science fairs, theater groups, chorus groups, sports teams, foreign language classes, Girl/Boy Scouts, support groups, parents night out, church, YMCA programs, library programs, local museum or zoo programs, Disney even has a program, pretty much if it exits in a formal school setting, then some equivalent exists in homeschooling and then some.

Here's a good article that gives examples of places you can socialize your child.

http://www.homeschool-how-to.com/homeschool-socialization.html

Socialization as far as activities, is just like with any traditional school. You can sign your kid up for every club and after school activity there is out there, or you can sign them up for nothing. It's your choice.

When my sister was elementary school age a typical week for her looked something like this:
M - YMCA (hour each art, gym, swimming classes with about 20 kids her age)
T - Girl Scouts
W - Spanish class (kids of various ages), Art class (kids around her age) Church
Th - Co-op (history class & writing class), Homeschool Parents Meeting (sponsored by a local bookstore, first half of night there was a speaker and second half was discussion)
F - Library (homeschool activities) & unit study with another family or fun days - where the focus was more on hands or unschooling type learning and not book work. Mummified a chicken once for an Egypt study. That was fun.

We also squeezed in field trips, field days, homeschool get-to-gethers and parties, birthday parties, play dates, sports, and church plays as we could fit them in.

Over the years she also took homeschool karate, public dance lessons, homeschool cooking lessons, private piano lessons, and performed in plays as we could fit them in her schedule. She also played various sports, did cheerleading one year, and competed in a city wide science fair. There were so many options most years we really had to pick and choose and limit what she could be involved in. Some of the activities were sponsored for homeschoolers in particular, some where open to any child.

Also, do you have a normal school day? Like with certain hours?

This depends on the individual family, you are free to schedule your day as you see fit, as long as you adhere to all the state laws and regulations. Usually by law you are required to put in around 4 hrs a day, 180 days a year. We always did formal schooling 8-12 and then electives / socialization in the afternoons, but every family is different. You can be as structured or unstructured as you like.

Does the school district give you the material?
Some will if you are homeschooling through them. Whether you can or even want to homeschool through the public system varies greatly from state to state and district to district. If you go back a few pages, you will see we discussed this option verses online or umbrella schools. Where I live going through the school system is a big no-no and can cause lots of problems, so we all use umbrella schools here, but it is very different in other places.

The best advice I can give to you is research, research, research. Learn your state laws. Learn about the different types of homeschooling - unschooling or traditional. Learn about curriculum options. Learn your local resources. Learn what is available in your homeschool community. Start now. Many homeschool families start socializing their kids at the preschool age. Find local meet ups, let your daughter make friends young and give yourself a chance to observe and ask questions. Then by the time you are ready to start, you will be all set and already have a good support system in place.

Good luck.

If you are thinking of going to Disney in September for Y.E.S program, I wanted you to know of a cheaper option for tickets.

http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/atravelwdw.html

The prices are very reasonable, and great classes are included. There are also discounted tickets for Seaworld and Universal.

We purchased 5 7 day PH( with waterparks and more) for $1350. We rented a condo at Windsor Hills for 2weeks for $530.

$1880 for a family of 5 for 2 weeks in Disney. You just can't beat that! Especially including a special behind the scenes class in the MK.

I will be homeschooling for the first time this year. My DD(12) just finished up 7th grade at the local middle school. For a laundry list of reasons, I'm pulling her out of our school system for 8th grade (possibly longer) and homeschooling her. Luckily, I found some great resources both from here and other sites and chose an online curriculum for her core classes, and I'm pulling together some electives too.

Since we live in Texas, the rules are fairly relaxed, so there's really no reporting involved other than keeping records for later on. However, that leaves me with a question. When do we start? Since DD just finished her regular school year on Friday, I really want her to have her summer vacation. But at the same time, I want to ease into the program and I'd like to start sooner rather than later in case we decide we need to go in a different direction, etc.

Any tips on when to start the "school year"? Public schools go back in late August - but we will be going to WDW in September for our yearly vacation, so there's really not much going on around the house :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter