Homeschool Chat Part III

Reading all these state requirements make me appreciate Michigan where we don't have to do any testing or reporting! (A little scary in some ways though how some kids could probably get no education though!)

Reading all these state requirements make me appreciate Michigan where we don't have to do any testing or reporting! (A little scary in some ways though how some kids could probably get no education though!)
Exactly how I feel. We have similar lack of reporting in Texas.

I know..here in Hawaii I believe they test in 3rd, 5th and 8th. We will be in NC before my oldest gets to 3rd grade. (Actually moving there this fall.) This year, I just have to write out a simple progress report for here stating what she studied and that she'll be moving on to the next grade. Hopefully the school that I have to send it to doesn't give me any issues. They wanted me to enroll and disenroll her when I sent in my intent to homeschool form last August, which is not necessary according to the HDOE guidelines. It was a small headache but it got resolved quickly. ;)

We were required to test each year in NC but we just had to keep the results in our files, we didn't send the scores to anyone. Same with attendance, we had to keep it but didn't turn it in to anyone.

We were required to test each year in NC but we just had to keep the results in our files, we didn't send the scores to anyone. Same with attendance, we had to keep it but didn't turn it in to anyone.

Thanks for letting me know. :) I definitely need to look into their guidelines before we move. We actually lived in NC before we moved out here to HI, but all of the kids were 3 and under then.

Hi all,

I have not read through this whole thread. But I am wondering if you would be so kind and explain the transition process from Public (Grades 5 and 2) to home school. I am just at the beginning of my journey into research. My 5th grader is on an IEP for specific learning disability. He seems to be the kid that keeps being dropped in the cracks and forgotten about. We did Public school and Charter school, I am thinking that homeschool will be our next step. I am just not sure I am confident enough in myself to pull this off. My second grader is above average in school. But she loves being there. It may be hard for her to leave it all behind. But can she move ahead onto materials that would be challenging to her rather than staying within her current curriculum? As you can see, I have a lot to learn. Thanks in advance for being patient with me, if you have any websites that would be great for a novice, please send them along to me.

Thanks for letting me know. :) I definitely need to look into their guidelines before we move. We actually lived in NC before we moved out here to HI, but all of the kids were 3 and under then.

In NC you report to the State and you are sent a yellow card if/when they want your stuff. Are you Military?? I ask because it seemed when we were there Military had a low chance of being sent the card while, locals had a higher chance of seeing it. Not saying it couldn't happen.

Off Topic: We loved Kailua

Hi all,

I have not read through this whole thread. But I am wondering if you would be so kind and explain the transition process from Public (Grades 5 and 2) to home school. I am just at the beginning of my journey into research. My 5th grader is on an IEP for specific learning disability. He seems to be the kid that keeps being dropped in the cracks and forgotten about. We did Public school and Charter school, I am thinking that homeschool will be our next step. I am just not sure I am confident enough in myself to pull this off. My second grader is above average in school. But she loves being there. It may be hard for her to leave it all behind. But can she move ahead onto materials that would be challenging to her rather than staying within her current curriculum? As you can see, I have a lot to learn. Thanks in advance for being patient with me, if you have any websites that would be great for a novice, please send them along to me.

It will take at least a "school" year to make a complete transition from school to homeschool. It will be rocky and times when you really question what you are doing.

DD may have a harder time making the transition. But if you get her involved in sports/dance/music/activites outside of the house where she is involved with kids(all ages), it might help. She might also love the idea of going at her pace and exploring subject at her pace and to the depth that she wants. For instance: DD not really into math but has to do it so she gets it done so that she can pick the book she wants to read and either tell you about or write about. DD is into art, can read about differant artist/learn to draw(there are books she can self teach).

DS probably will thrive in a one on one environment. Be sure to know what you are getting into with him. Know what and how he learns. Is he a hands on learner? Computer learner? Can he read about it? Will he need to do school in short burst like in 30 min and take breaks? You might need to try several things with DS, so give yourself permission to fail and try again.

Find a local group: for support, field trips, book sales, and the all important socialization;) More for you than the kids, kids always seem to find a way to socialize;)

Check with the local gorups about the local laws. You can also check hslda for the laws in your area.

I think you can do this

In NC you report to the State and you are sent a yellow card if/when they want your stuff. Are you Military?? I ask because it seemed when we were there Military had a low chance of being sent the card while, locals had a higher chance of seeing it. Not saying it couldn't happen.

Yes, we're military.

Off topic: Kailua is nice. We tend to spend more time on the leeward side, though. My oldest takes ice skating lessons so we're in the Salt lake area (near Aloha Stadium) a lot!

It will take at least a "school" year to make a complete transition from school to homeschool. It will be rocky and times when you really question what you are doing.

DD may have a harder time making the transition. But if you get her involved in sports/dance/music/activites outside of the house where she is involved with kids(all ages), it might help. She might also love the idea of going at her pace and exploring subject at her pace and to the depth that she wants. For instance: DD not really into math but has to do it so she gets it done so that she can pick the book she wants to read and either tell you about or write about. DD is into art, can read about differant artist/learn to draw(there are books she can self teach).

DS probably will thrive in a one on one environment. Be sure to know what you are getting into with him. Know what and how he learns. Is he a hands on learner? Computer learner? Can he read about it? Will he need to do school in short burst like in 30 min and take breaks? You might need to try several things with DS, so give yourself permission to fail and try again.

Find a local group: for support, field trips, book sales, and the all important socialization;) More for you than the kids, kids always seem to find a way to socialize;)

Check with the local gorups about the local laws. You can also check hslda for the laws in your area.

I think you can do this

thank you so much for your encouraging reply. I'm worried that once I take this big bite, I'll have to find a way to chew. :-/

My son is only one, but my wife and I have already started talking about possibly homeschooling him when he gets older. This is somewhat ironic, as I studied to be a teacher myself. Between my wife's experience being homeschooled herself, and my experience with the public education system suggest to us that if we put our son into the public school system, he is likely to get a mediocre education at best.

Hi all, I have not read through this whole thread. But I am wondering if you would be so kind and explain the transition process from Public (Grades 5 and 2) to home school. I am just at the beginning of my journey into research. My 5th grader is on an IEP for specific learning disability. He seems to be the kid that keeps being dropped in the cracks and forgotten about. We did Public school and Charter school, I am thinking that homeschool will be our next step. I am just not sure I am confident enough in myself to pull this off. My second grader is above average in school. But she loves being there. It may be hard for her to leave it all behind. But can she move ahead onto materials that would be challenging to her rather than staying within her current curriculum? As you can see, I have a lot to learn. Thanks in advance for being patient with me, if you have any websites that would be great for a novice, please send them along to me.

As you can tell from the above, you will have to find out the requirements for your state. We never notified anyone, just didn't re-enroll and signed up with an umbrella school. But each state will be different. That wouldn't work in a lot of places.

Have you considered keeping your daughter in school and only homeschooling your son? It doesn't have to be all or nothing. We have a lot of families in our area who do this for a number of different reasons. One child is falling through the cracks, has learning disabilities not being properly addressed, is a kinetic learner while the school is all visual teaching, is a gifted student who is ahead, while the other kids in the family don't. We even have a number of families who homeschool because their kids are heavily into acting or sports or play in instrument and need the extra time to practice and attend events, so formal school just doesn't work for that child, but the others in the family go to either public or private. I know moms who say one at a time is all they can handle or just want to really be able to give special one on one attention to a child who has a lot of difficulties or who the public school let slip too far behind. I know some families who are like school works great with child A, but is a disaster for child B. Every kid is different.

I helped to co-homeschool a neighbors daughter who had fallen between the cracks if you will. Very bright girl but lots of social and learning disabilities. School just kept passing her on even though she couldn't read at 4th grade. Her other siblings stayed in school, so the rest of us could all work on getting the one daughter caught up to grade level. It took a summer of intense one on one work and a year of homeschooling, but she was able to pass the entrance exams to a private middle school and start at her grade level for 6th grade. Every time I see her pick up a chapter book today and read it, I'm so proud of her. She made such progress.

I know another mom whose high school daughter has been having a lot of trouble at school socially. I don't know all the details, but it is a pretty bad situation, so they have started homeschooling her, but all her younger siblings (she has about 5) are doing great in school and are staying.

It's just something to think about. If your daughter is happy and doing well in school no issues, no gaps in her learning, good social structure. Maybe leave her in for at least one more year. This would give you time to find your feet in the whole homeschool community and really allow you to focus on catching your son back up and figuring out what works well for him. Then once you are more comfortable and have him more settled have her start homeschooling if you still want to do both of them.

As far as how to start, as I stated in an earlier post I'm a big proponent of having an outside source test the kid to see where they fall academically before starting. This is because I've seen it over and over again with parents thinking their kid is on grade level X just because they are doing well in school only to find out they are actually a few years behind. Or that they are ahead, or a mix of both between subjects. Testing just gives you a place to start, an idea of what you need to work on, what grade curriculum to buy. Which brings me to your last question. Yes, you can do grade work above your child's level. It is actually very common. That's the beauty of homeschooling to work at your own pace. If the child grasps a concept you move on, if they struggle you can spend more time on it.

I have a much much younger sister, and I always thought it was funny when my mom was first homeschooling her she kept trying to hold her back because they kept working through the material too quickly and getting farther and farther ahead. My mother didn't mind if she was a little ahead, but she had this idea that they needed to stay close to her grade level. Eventually my mom realized that was a silly idea as my sister could handle the material, and she was the one pushing my mom for harder work not the other way around. After a couple of years, my mom finally gave in and decided to just go with the flow and things worked out great from then on. By 7th grade, my sister was doing high school Algebra 2 and reading on a college level. Now she's a sophomore in college with a scholarship and doing great.

By best advice is to know your resources both on the internet, but more importantly locally as well. I think the biggest help for my family was that we really researched homeschooling in our community before starting. We have a huge community here with a number of different businesses and organizations offering homeschool classes and events. We also have a number of co-ops. There is a National Homeschool Society you can join. We also have a state and city one as well. These organizations offer social meet ups, back to school parties, field days, field trips, and even yearbook and professional school pictures you can have done. The library, YMCA, local gyms, dance studios, bounce houses, book stores, zoo, Girl Scouts, and even local colleges and churches in my area all offer homeschool programs. Start making lists now of all these options that are available in your area, most you can find listed on local businesses websites or notice boards like they have at churches or Panera. Some will be purely social meets like swim or skate parties, others will be educational like Spanish, gym, or art classes, others will fill the role of typical school activities like field trips, science fairs, and year book.

The first thing you need to look up is a local parent's support group. We have an official one that meets locally every Thursday night at a nearby restaurant. They have their own web page and face book page as well I think. We use to have one that was sponsored by a local bookstore, and there is a sort of unofficial one at the library every Friday while the kids do their story time. These will become your life lines. The local parents will know better than anyone what you have to do, how it works in your city. They can tell you how to switch from public to homeschooling for your area,p and which local programs are the best. Even better, they can tell you who has kids your kids ages. In my area, it's common for say all the 10 year old girls to get together and take the same Spanish class with their friends or the same art class offered. It's good to know which activities kids your kids ages will be doing when. Which field trips they are going on etc. You will feel much less overwhelmed with a strong local support group.

The second thing I recommend is to find a few good curriculum fairs to go to. Don't go to only one. Try to do at least one well attended used fair and one large new fair. Even if you buy nothing, there are a lot of advantages to going to both. The new curriculum fair will give you a chance to look through and talk to the publishers of a number of different types of curriculum. Even if you aren't interested in formal schooling, and don't want a lot of work books, you will still find a lot to look through. There is so much out there to choose from. Unit studies, hands on curriculum, videos, computer programs, science kits, etc. It's not all text or work books. You'll find many other options to supplement with as well. This is one of the best ways to look through it all and ask questions to help you decide what you want to use.

Once you have a better idea of what you are looking for, try a used fair. You can get some great deals on curriculum, but more importantly this is another chance to network. You get to talk with the local families whose community you are going to become a part of. You can discuss what worked and didn't work for them. You will find many families with kids with learning disabilities happy to share the curriculum that helped them overcome their child's issues, or just happy to share advice with you or answer your questions. It's a great way to learn what does and doesn't work from real families who tried it, and why it did or didn't work for them. It's a great way to make friends as well. Homeschool families are usually thrilled to learn a new child is coming into the group for their child to possibly become friends with.

So that's were I would start if I was you. Hope I haven't overwhelmed you too much. Good luck.

If any of you were thinking about going to Homeschool Day at Disney the date us October 2nd.

Yes, we're military.

Off topic: Kailua is nice. We tend to spend more time on the leeward side, though. My oldest takes ice skating lessons so we're in the Salt lake area (near Aloha Stadium) a lot!

Did you ever think DD would take ice skating in HI?? Our last year we bounced between leeward and windward with dance.

Hi! I am a homeschool mom of two kiddos who will be in 4th and 8th grades next year. We have used Abeka for the last two years, but we are looking for something different this time. We want something more "hands-on" for science and history/social studies. They get bored easily reading material in a book and testing on it. I don't blame them! We are returning to teaching textbooks for math, and I'm still thinking on language/reading. Any suggestions? I do like Christian focused curriculum, and there are times they need to do their work independently for the most part (I work part time night shifts as an RN at a hospital, but sporadically). Any advice is appreciated! TIA!

Hi! I am a homeschool mom of two kiddos who will be in 4th and 8th grades next year. We have used Abeka for the last two years, but we are looking for something different this time. We want something more "hands-on" for science and history/social studies. They get bored easily reading material in a book and testing on it. I don't blame them! We are returning to teaching textbooks for math, and I'm still thinking on language/reading. Any suggestions? I do like Christian focused curriculum, and there are times they need to do their work independently for the most part (I work part time night shifts as an RN at a hospital, but sporadically). Any advice is appreciated! TIA!

I'm not sure about history or reading, but we have used Exploration Education for science and really liked it. It's a combination computer program mixed with hands on experiments. There is some book work, but that's more just recording your data and reviewing or quizzes. It's set up to be basically self explanatory, so older kids could go through the program with a minimum of help from adults. You watch videos and go through interactive computer tutorials that explain a concept. As you go through, you build and do the experiments along with the videos. You start with a simple concept and then build on it in each lesson. For instance, we built a little toy race car in one of the first lessons and then used it to complete different physics experiments, learning about friction and such. We liked it because it is an all in one. Everything you need comes in the kit. There are a few household items you need for experiments, but they are basics. Things like a fork, match, salt, water, etc. might not be included, but all the hard to find stuff is provided in the kit.

You can go through example lesson plans of how the program works on the website.

http://www.explorationeducation.com

Well, I got on the timberdoodle website and found what I hope I was looking for!! Thank you for your reply. I found everything (except reading, we will use the library for that) for a lot less that I expected!!! I even found some drawing through history books that will coincide with the history curriculum I got (my artsy kids are excited about that part!:artist::artist:) It's even designed where they can do it together!!! Yay! Not commonly found when they are that many grades apart! I love new curriculum! I am such a nerd...:sad2:

We love Apologia science!

In the last 2 days of news alone I have come across reports of:

-2 separate schools on lock down for hours yesterday due to completely separate issues of weapons being found in the school.

-3 school board members being arrested and admitting to lying to the police falsely accusing the superintendent of trying to run them over with a car.

-1 teen caught with multiple bombs and explosives under his bed intending to kill his entire family and duplicate the Columbine Attack. (Thank God he got caught!)

- 1 Bus Driver who after calling her students racial slurs decided she had enough of the "loud and rowdy kids" and stopped the bus in the middle of a bridge, threw the bus keys at a student and walked out.

Can I just say how grateful that DH and I decided to take the Homeschooling route!!!::yes::

And people call US the crazy ones!:rolleyes2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter