Homeschool Chat Part III

Could someone summarize what impact No Child Left Behind has had on public schools? Is it just the excessive testing or is there more to it? I tend to focus on the issues with my local school so I'm not really aware of the broader issues. I've heard of Common Core but my state (Texas) rejected it so I haven't paid much attention.

There's tons of resources if you struggle with a subject. Before I had kids, I even tutored/taught some kids their entire math for the year. Their parents realized that was their weakness so they brought in me to do it for them. Foreign language is my weakness, so I paid more than I would have liked to get a program that works wonderfully for my eldest. It was cheaper than a tutor, but more than I would have spent if I was better in foreign language. Though we haven't used any co-ops, that's another idea for additional help in subjects. Some places have specific courses for homeschoolers as well. Also, don't forget about learning with your child! I've heard many math-phobic parents say that they wish they had been taught math the way their child is learning it - since then they would have understood it! No matter what path you take, think about how far away 4th grade is. Do what is needed THIS year. You have a lot of years before you need to be worried about 4th grade math. :)

As for homeschool conferences and curriculum fairs, they do have a lot of resources - but they also don't have some of my favorites. So, though it is worthwhile to check out what they have, don't forget to look outside of them as well. Easing in from a young age makes it easy too. Using a curriculum with your child so young right now wouldn't make sense. You can slowly add in some if you find that's your style. You're not going to be jumping in with a high schooler, so take your time and have fun with it! And don't forget about how much young children learn through play.

With our local elementary school. Dd13 is doing ok in middle school. But DS10 is miserable. He is a 4th grader and has been on the wrong side of his teachers favor this entire year. We have had meetings followed up with more meetings...repeat.

I could tell you why, but I'm not sure that info is relevant.

So, I'm considering bringing him home for 5th grade. At our public school, he is in the high ability program for language arts and in the challenge group for math. But, I'm not sure if that really means much in the whole scheme of things.

I am thinking, we could try homeschooling during the summer, and if we fail then we could just send him to 5th grade next school year.

But, I don't know where to start. I need to plan a curriculum and find the resources to carry this out. I don't know how to identify where he is in a particular subject, and consequently where to go from here.

Any advice is appreciated.

With our local elementary school. Dd13 is doing ok in middle school. But DS10 is miserable. He is a 4th grader and has been on the wrong side of his teachers favor this entire year. We have had meetings followed up with more meetings...repeat.

I could tell you why, but I'm not sure that info is relevant.

So, I'm considering bringing him home for 5th grade. At our public school, he is in the high ability program for language arts and in the challenge group for math. But, I'm not sure if that really means much in the whole scheme of things.

I am thinking, we could try homeschooling during the summer, and if we fail then we could just send him to 5th grade next school year.

But, I don't know where to start. I need to plan a curriculum and find the resources to carry this out. I don't know how to identify where he is in a particular subject, and consequently where to go from here.

Any advice is appreciated.

This is our first year. As soon as dd finished 2nd grade we started with homeschool and have never looked back. I read The Well Trained Mind (got it from the library.) It really helped me decide which books to use for each subject.

We took the Saxon math placement test and the K12 placement test for Reading. (All are free online)

With our local elementary school. Dd13 is doing ok in middle school. But DS10 is miserable. He is a 4th grader and has been on the wrong side of his teachers favor this entire year. We have had meetings followed up with more meetings...repeat. I could tell you why, but I'm not sure that info is relevant. So, I'm considering bringing him home for 5th grade. At our public school, he is in the high ability program for language arts and in the challenge group for math. But, I'm not sure if that really means much in the whole scheme of things. I am thinking, we could try homeschooling during the summer, and if we fail then we could just send him to 5th grade next school year. But, I don't know where to start. I need to plan a curriculum and find the resources to carry this out. I don't know how to identify where he is in a particular subject, and consequently where to go from here. Any advice is appreciated.

I'd try to see if you can find an independent tester, maybe a local umbrella school or private school, to evaluate your son and see where he needs to be.

We have a really great umbrella school who offers specialized services like that. The head of the school has doctorates in psychology and education and keeps up to date on all the current curriculum and options out there. He then tests kids before you start to homeschool to see where they need to be. It's really great individualized testing. He's trained in finding learning disabilities and all that. What is really great is that he goes over each academic area and tells you what level your child is on for each subject. Your child might be on a 10th grade reading level but a 7th grade math level. A child could have a high vocabulary level but low spelling. He then recommends specific curriculum to use to help the child improve their weaknesses or work through any learning disabilities. Many new homeschoolers find meeting with him and following his advice their first year a huge help. It gives them a starting point to work from. Then as you decide what works and doesn't work for you or you learn about new curriculum, you can change it out. It was a big help for my mom when she started with both my sister and I years ago, and our neighbor found this same type of evaluation really helpful for choosing curriculum as well when she decided to pull her daughter out of school.

His testing isn't like state standardized testing. You stress to the kids that they should do their best, but that they aren't being graded, and it won't effect them. The tests all basically build, you keep working up until the work becomes too hard kind of thing, and then they know you've reached your level, and they stop for that subject, so the child always feels they are pretty much doing well. It's mainly all verbal, one on one testing as well, informal, and the tester is monitoring for stress and other issues which is part of the test to evaluate how the child learns and interacts. You even find out if your child is an auditory, visual, or kinesthetic learner. I'm not sure if they have these kinds of homeschool umbrella schools everywhere, but this one is just an amazing resource.

This looks like an awesome thread. My family homeschools and have for years. Has anyone on the homeschooling thread done a meet up at Disney World? It would be so cool for the kids to make some pen pals from around the country and then eventually meet them.

I'd try to see if you can find an independent tester, maybe a local umbrella school or private school, to evaluate your son and see where he needs to be.

We have a really great umbrella school who offers specialized services like that. The head of the school has doctorates in psychology and education and keeps up to date on all the current curriculum and options out there. He then tests kids before you start to homeschool to see where they need to be. It's really great individualized testing. He's trained in finding learning disabilities and all that. What is really great is that he goes over each academic area and tells you what level your child is on for each subject. Your child might be on a 10th grade reading level but a 7th grade math level. A child could have a high vocabulary level but low spelling. He then recommends specific curriculum to use to help the child improve their weaknesses or work through any learning disabilities. Many new homeschoolers find meeting with him and following his advice their first year a huge help. It gives them a starting point to work from. Then as you decide what works and doesn't work for you or you learn about new curriculum, you can change it out. It was a big help for my mom when she started with both my sister and I years ago, and our neighbor found this same type of evaluation really helpful for choosing curriculum as well when she decided to pull her daughter out of school.

His testing isn't like state standardized testing. You stress to the kids that they should do their best, but that they aren't being graded, and it won't effect them. The tests all basically build, you keep working up until the work becomes too hard kind of thing, and then they know you've reached your level, and they stop for that subject, so the child always feels they are pretty much doing well. It's mainly all verbal, one on one testing as well, informal, and the tester is monitoring for stress and other issues which is part of the test to evaluate how the child learns and interacts. You even find out if your child is an auditory, visual, or kinesthetic learner. I'm not sure if they have these kinds of homeschool umbrella schools everywhere, but this one is just an amazing resource.

Stupid question, but what is an umbrella school. We are in Indiana. I need to find out what the laws are here regarding homeschooling. I know there are more and more people that do thus every year. I'm sure there are resources out there, I just need to find them.

This looks like an awesome thread. My family homeschools and have for years. Has anyone on the homeschooling thread done a meet up at Disney World? It would be so cool for the kids to make some pen pals from around the country and then eventually meet them.
A fair number go to the homeschool days. We just started homeschool so haven't (yet!) gone to them at WDW.

Stupid question, but what is an umbrella school. We are in Indiana. I need to find out what the laws are here regarding homeschooling. I know there are more and more people that do thus every year. I'm sure there are resources out there, I just need to find them.

Two suggestions -
1) hslda.org has a list of the laws for each state re: homeschooling, and usually has explanations of them. They sometimes have lists of homeschooling organizations also.
2) Google homeschool organizations in your area, or on a state level.

Also, most math curricula have placement tests.
We love teaching textbooks which is a cd-rom math with a teacher that explains stuff.
If you need to brush up on math facts, multiplication.com is a great place for math games.
For reading, go by what books your child has been reading. Alternate between what is easy and what is more challenging. Ask your librarian for suggestions.
If the child is high ability for LA, you should have an easier time finding resources by going off the reading level.

Umbrella school-"is an alternative education school which serves to oversee the homeschooling of children to fulfill government educational requirements." http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbrella_school

Basically, they set the requirements you have to meet and keep records for you of grades and attendance. They provide transcripts and things if you need them for transfer back into school, public or private, if you ever decide to go back. They are also your legal proof that you are actually homeschooling your child.

In general, you have to go through the public school system and declare your intent to homeschool following all state regulations or have an umbrella school. An umbrella school is a way around having to follow the state regulations. In general, where we live it is a given that you stay away from anything that puts you in the state's sight. The public schools and truancy offices give a lot of people a hard time, and most people here feel any public involvement should be avoided at all costs to prevent future problems, so everyone here uses an umbrella school.

Gateway is a common popular umbrella school where we live. Faith Christian Academy is the private umbrella school I was talking about earlier. It is out of Pigeon Forge.

There are different levels of umbrella schools that offer varying levels of support and guidelines. For instance Gateway only requires 4 hrs of school a day, and the minimum basic classes English, math, etc. Its very lax. You can pretty much do whatever you want as long as you turn in an overall grade for each subject they require and meet your hours. You can use any curriculum you want or even unschool.

Other schools, like the private one I mentioned, have much stricter requirements. It depends on what you are looking for. We were looking for a strenuous private university prep type school, just without the tuition costs. As a high school student, I was required to take 4 credits of all the basics - math, history, science, grammar, reading, as well as 4 credits of a foreign language, plus classes in logic and Latin, and complete a minimum 6 hrs a day. It was the best college prep I could have asked for. Most people, however, aren't looking for that level of control from their umbrella school. We had to use the curriculum recommended to us or an alternative they approved. We had to turn in multiple grades throughout the year, not just an overall grade. They required all this because they issue a private school diploma that is equal to the diploma you would receive if you attended their actual physical private school, so they have to make sure you are meeting all the same criteria and are at the same level as all the kids who attend the actual private school. It worked out really great for us having such detailed high school records and a real degree.

However, while this level of oversight can be good for a very academic college bound high school student, I wouldn't recommend it for the lower levels. That's why most of the people who homeschool around here use the private school for the testing and evaluating services, but then use Gateway as their umbrella school. This way they can get an idea of where their child is, what he/she needs to work on, maybe even some ideas for curriculum, but can still pick and choose what they want to do or not do themselves. This is how we did it for my younger sister when she was elementary school.

A fair number go to the homeschool days. We just started homeschool so haven't (yet!) gone to them at WDW.

We homeschooled but didn't know about the homeschool days when we planned out trip last year. I think they had one in January? They didn't have one this year so I assumed they stopped doing them.

Basically, they set the requirements you have to meet and keep records for you of grades and attendance. They provide transcripts and things if you need them for transfer back into school, public or private, if you ever decide to go back. They are also your legal proof that you are actually homeschooling your child.

In general, you have to go through the public school system and declare your intent to homeschool following all state regulations or have an umbrella school. An umbrella school is a way around having to follow the state regulations. In general, where we live it is a given that you stay away from anything that puts you in the state's sight. The public schools and truancy offices give a lot of people a hard time, and most people here feel any public involvement should be avoided at all costs to prevent future problems, so everyone here uses an umbrella school.

Actually, the need for the umbrella school is all dependant on State Regulations AND how you declare your school.

States with higher regulations it would be best to be under an umbrella school to help ensure that you are meeting all State Regulations.

States with low regulations you don't really need to have an umbrella school.

Some States require you test every year, keep portfolio, report to the school, report to school board, report to the State. It all varies.

I have homeschooled in North Carolina, Virginia, Hawaii, and oversea(military). All locations required different things from me and our school. I checked with HSLDA(like a prior poster said) and followed what they said when it came to the State Regulations. I have never used an umbrella school.

As for High Schooler, DD is duel enrolled right now. Taking classes online with a 4-yr University.

Actually, the need for the umbrella school is all dependant on State Regulations AND how you declare your school. States with higher regulations it would be best to be under an umbrella school to help ensure that you are meeting all State Regulations. States with low regulations you don't really need to have an umbrella school. Some States require you test every year, keep portfolio, report to the school, report to school board, report to the State. It all varies. I have homeschooled in North Carolina, Virginia, Hawaii, and oversea(military). All locations required different things from me and our school. I checked with HSLDA(like a prior poster said) and followed what they said when it came to the State Regulations. I have never used an umbrella school. As for High Schooler, DD is duel enrolled right now. Taking classes online with a 4-yr University.

Yes, I guess I didn't really word that right. It does vary by state, and you do still have to meet all the educational requirements either way. However, here if you don't go through an umbrella school, you have a lot of interference by the public school system. In certain smaller towns, they give people a lot of trouble if they know they are homeschooling because they need each child to count toward their funding. By using the umbrella school, we don't have to notify anyone that we are homeschooling. It is no different than pulling your kid out and sticking them in a private school here. We are only accountable to the umbrella school, not directly to the state. You don't have to give notice you are taking the kids out of school either, unless it's mid year. All you do is just not re-enroll them for next year. If anyone questions you later on, you just show where you have enrolled them in the umbrella school, but we have found that if you never tell anyone at the city or state level, no one ever comes questioning anything. We have such a large private and homeschool community here that it's really common for kids to go to a school one year and not go back the next. Most of the middle and upperclass kids around here routinely switch between private, homeschooling, and magnet schools. If we lived in a state that offered a great online program or was more open to the idea of homeschooling, I'm sure it wouldn't be as important to use an umbrella school. It's just not that way here. I can't think of one homeschooling family that I know who doesn't use an umbrella school. It was the first thing we were told when we started looking into homeschooling years ago, that we needed an umbrella school, or we would run into problems in this area. It's hard for me to grasp that people do it without one because that has become such a taboo thing to do here. It just goes to show you how much it all varies by town and state.

We are in Georgia and don't even have an option to use an "umbrella school" but next door in Alabama they have to have one. It really does vary state to state. Until just last year, we had to report to the local school system but they just changed the law and now we bypass the local school board completely and report to the state DOE.

We are in Georgia and don't even have an option to use an "umbrella school" but next door in Alabama they have to have one. It really does vary state to state. Until just last year, we had to report to the local school system but they just changed the law and now we bypass the local school board completely and report to the state DOE.
We also just report to the state DOE and I don't know if there are umbrella schools here. You really don't need one but lots of families belong to co-ops so they can share in teaching extra courses like art and music etc.

I'm so glad I ran across this thread! We are in Hawaii and are getting ready to finish our first year of homeschooling. My oldest DD is 6 so this year we are required to report everything. We love homeschooling! :lovestruc

Yes, I guess I didn't really word that right. It does vary by state, and you do still have to meet all the educational requirements either way. However, here if you don't go through an umbrella school, you have a lot of interference by the public school system. In certain smaller towns, they give people a lot of trouble if they know they are homeschooling because they need each child to count toward their funding. By using the umbrella school, we don't have to notify anyone that we are homeschooling. It is no different than pulling your kid out and sticking them in a private school here. We are only accountable to the umbrella school, not directly to the state. You don't have to give notice you are taking the kids out of school either, unless it's mid year. All you do is just not re-enroll them for next year. If anyone questions you later on, you just show where you have enrolled them in the umbrella school, but we have found that if you never tell anyone at the city or state level, no one ever comes questioning anything. We have such a large private and homeschool community here that it's really common for kids to go to a school one year and not go back the next. Most of the middle and upperclass kids around here routinely switch between private, homeschooling, and magnet schools. If we lived in a state that offered a great online program or was more open to the idea of homeschooling, I'm sure it wouldn't be as important to use an umbrella school. It's just not that way here. I can't think of one homeschooling family that I know who doesn't use an umbrella school. It was the first thing we were told when we started looking into homeschooling years ago, that we needed an umbrella school, or we would run into problems in this area. It's hard for me to grasp that people do it without one because that has become such a taboo thing to do here. It just goes to show you how much it all varies by town and state.

It is great that you were invovled with a good group of people who could steer/guide you in a way to avoid having issues with the schools and officals. That is one thing that I try to tell people to do is find a local group get involved.

It is also cool that the kids can bounce between homeschool, private school, and magnet schools.

I'm so glad I ran across this thread! We are in Hawaii and are getting ready to finish our first year of homeschooling. My oldest DD is 6 so this year we are required to report everything. We love homeschooling! :lovestruc

Just so you know you don't have to test with the school when it comes time to test, something like 3rd grade, 6th grade....whatever those are. You can test on your own and then submit it to the school.

Just so you know you don't have to test with the school when it comes time to test, something like 3rd grade, 6th grade....whatever those are. You can test on your own and then submit it to the school.

I know..here in Hawaii I believe they test in 3rd, 5th and 8th. We will be in NC before my oldest gets to 3rd grade. (Actually moving there this fall.)

This year, I just have to write out a simple progress report for here stating what she studied and that she'll be moving on to the next grade. Hopefully the school that I have to send it to doesn't give me any issues. They wanted me to enroll and disenroll her when I sent in my intent to homeschool form last August, which is not necessary according to the HDOE guidelines. It was a small headache but it got resolved quickly. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter