History and projections for point rental prices? (for break-even comparison)

MamaBear12

Mouseketeer
Trying to guess what our "break even" point would be for buying vs. renting DVC. I'm calculating a 3% increase in MF per year (rough guess, I know) and am trying to guesstimate what the per point rental price will likely be 5, 10, 15 years out. Does a $1 increase every 5 years seem reasonable? I'm starting with David's rental price as the base ($14) because we would go through a broker if renting.

Thanks!

The DVC rental market is a bit inefficient I think due to the fact that prices are largely controlled by 2 or 3 brokers, so it's really difficult to tell what rental prices will be in the future.

For your calculations, I would probably just assume rental prices will stay flat and maybe adjust for inflation at whatever % you want to use.

FWIW, you can go back in the rent/trade board to 2002 and see what people were asking. Just looked briefly, appears to be about $10 per point at that time.

If you assume a 3% increase in dues, I think you're a bit low more like 4%, then assume at least that much in the rental cost. I would expect they will want to get compensated for those increases.

Trying to guess what our "break even" point would be for buying vs. renting DVC. I'm calculating a 3% increase in MF per year (rough guess, I know) and am trying to guesstimate what the per point rental price will likely be 5, 10, 15 years out. Does a $1 increase every 5 years seem reasonable? I'm starting with David's rental price as the base ($14) because we would go through a broker if renting.

Thanks!

Break even usually ends up being somewhere between year 10 and year 15 if you use similar increases in MFs and rental costs.

For SSR (200 points, $85 pp, $600 closing costs, 3% increase in MFs and rental costs, initial rental cost $14 pp), it is year 10 (rental $32,099 vs DVC $30,510 in cumulative costs by 2026).

Thanks!
I use 3.5% inflation on the dues but 4% is more conservation. I also include the time value of money/opportunity costs in comparison and I figure a 4.5% after tax return on resale and a 6% on retail basically because some of the money would be spent on vacations anyway within a 5 year window. It's based on 1% on short term money and 8% on long term money. Rental prices have not tracked very well and have lagged price increases. I rented out at $10.50 pp in the mid 90's and have never been below $10 even with 2 economic downturns where some were quite a bit below at times. So a roughly 50% increase in 20 years. Another issue is that owners tend to quit conserving once they buy so a companion using studios often becomes a reality of using larger villas. 10-15 years is a good ballpark, maybe on the shorter end of that for studios & 2BR and likely at the top or worse for 1 & 3 BR and that assumes resale. For retail and any real usage of cash type exchanges (DCL, ABC, ect), one will almost always pay more owning than not owning and not uncommonly more than not owning and going directly through Disney for the rooms.

Thanks!

I have a sheet in which I can tweak my long-term return on investment, and I have it run down thru 43 lines for the 43 years that a BLT contract would be valid. Coincidentally, I have 8% as my baseline return, same as Dean above. Small World. :) I can tweak my DVC Dues Rise (3%) my Vac Costs Rise (3%), Price per Point ($106), etc, and see what effect they have on the breakeven.

2B vs Garden Wing Hospitality Suite:
The breakeven is in about 7 years at resale and 13 years direct.

Studio vs Garden Wing Room:
The breakeven is in about 19 years resale and 40 years direct.

Just for kicks, I ran Rental 2B @ $14pp +3%/yr vs Buying 2B...
The breakeven here is in about 15 years resale.

Last edited:
I have a sheet in which I can tweak my long-term return on investment, and I have it run down thru 43 lines for the 43 years that a BLT contract would be valid. Coincidentally, I have 8% as my baseline return, same as Dean above. Small World. :) I can tweak my DVC Dues Rise (3%) my Vac Costs Rise (3%), Price per Point ($106), etc, and see what effect they have on the breakeven.

2B vs Garden Wing Hospitality Suite:
The breakeven is in about 7 years at resale and 13 years direct.

Studio vs Garden Wing Room:
The breakeven is in about 19 years resale and 40 years direct.

Just for kicks, I ran Rental 2B @ $14pp +3%/yr vs Buying 2B...
The breakeven here is in about 15 years resale.
Is that comparing to DVC room on cash through Disney, if it is, this is not a valid comparison IMO, unless that's the one were vacationing otherwise. IMO the 2 valid benchmarks are renting DVC privately and/or what one would do without owning DVC.

Is that comparing to DVC room on cash through Disney, if it is, this is not a valid comparison IMO, unless that's the one were vacationing otherwise. IMO the 2 valid benchmarks are renting DVC privately and/or what one would do without owning DVC.
I think @MrInfinity was comparing a comparable non DVC option that he would book through Disney if he didn't own/rent DVC since the garden wing rooms mentioned are the "cheap" contemporary resort suites/rooms. They are the cheapest monorail room options I've found when looking in the past. I do agree with you though that if one would typically book a value or moderate if they didn't own DVC it is not fair cost comparison.

Thanks!

Your estimates are actually very good, although I would increase your average annual increase in MF to at least 3.2% - 3.5%, depending on where you own. Your rental price increase is also within an acceptable tolerance and fine to use. Your comparison to use for break even should be what you'd pay for the same DVC room you'll be staying in as a renter versus an owner, otherwise it's not a like comparison. As Dean points out, incorporate the opportunity costs into your equation.

Also, there are way too many variables in everybody's DVC equation for anyone to make an accurate general statement on how long YOUR breakeven point will be. I always cringe when I read those estimates. Just some of those variables include cost basis, amount of "free" points, opportunity costs, financing, dues discounts, pulling in points from future years to generate revenue/savings early versus later in your contract ownership, etc. I've said it before, but everybody's abilities, opportunities, and desires to optimally financially manage there DVC contracts will vary greatly. This in turn will affect how long your breakeven point will be and can make a significant difference between the breakeven point for even two somewhat similar contract owners.

Just remember that if you torture a spreadsheet long enough, you can make it say whatever you want it to say!

Great point; garbage in, garbage out! Good thing the financial analysis of a DVC contract isn't really that difficult.

I don't think I've ever looked at DVC room via cash. It's like you say, what I would do without owning. It's like in the DDP decisions... you don't want to compare to what the food on the DDP would cost, you want to compare to what you would actually spend.
I think @MrInfinity was comparing a comparable non DVC option that he would book through Disney if he didn't own/rent DVC since the garden wing rooms mentioned are the "cheap" contemporary resort suites/rooms. They are the cheapest monorail room options I've found when looking in the past. I do agree with you though that if one would typically book a value or moderate if they didn't own DVC it is not fair cost comparison.
Exactly. It's my real-world alternative. And true as well, if your alternative is a Value or Mod, then DVC will never break even because your base vacation is comparatively cheap. But you're not getting the same ballpark of vacation accommodations so it's not apples to apples.
Also, there are way too many variables in everybody's DVC equation for anyone to make an accurate general statement on how long YOUR breakeven point will be.
The main detail there that will change vastly from person to person is what they would otherwise do with their money. That, no one can answer but the individual. Some people might even consider a negative savings rate! This could apply to some who, if in posession of money, would tend to spend it on stuff... I know lots of ppl like this, so if that's the case then spending it on something that will secure you vacations is a really good use and the breakeven will be faster in those cases.
I always cringe when I read those estimates. Just some of those variables include cost basis, amount of "free" points, opportunity costs,
It's just math in which you peg the variables you consider relevant and see the results. Some of the things you mention... like cost basis... Don't change the breakeven point much at all. If I change my buy-in from $106pp to $115pp, the breakeven remains 7 years. The driving factor in how cost effective a 2B DVC is vs the hotel suite is that the suite is so expensive. 3rd party sites that can get regular rooms for cheap seem to not be able to get suites for anything but rack rate.
financing,
I would not recommend anyone buy a timeshare that would finance it unless you're financing it via a refi. I could add a financing option, but I suspect it would push the breakeven out to never with a 10% loan.
dues discounts
Well, there are no official dues discounts. That said, I paid my dues with money I got via payment method manipulation and other tricks... but, I don't consider my dues discounted, because if I was taking a vacation and paying for it instead, I would have applied those techniques there too.
pulling in points from future years
This is akin to not taking a trip one year. So whether you'd not take a trip one year and rent out the points, or not take a trip one year and therefore not spend on a vacation, you'd have a savings either way. Since my goal is to plan on around 1 vacation per year, that's what I use. But I also have a tweak in it to take a vacation every other year. It then calculates the cost of those vacations, but spreads the consumption of points on the DVC side.
Great point; garbage in, garbage out! Good thing the financial analysis of a DVC contract isn't really that difficult.
True. There are only about 8 or 10 variables total that affect the schedule, but a handful of them have the biggest impact... The most important ones are what your money is worth to you if not spent on DVC, and what your vacations would cost outside of DVC. These two factors are subjective and require honest thought on them to get good results out. One just needs to analyze whatever he/she feels is important -- but that's hard to do w/o putting it on paper. By putting it on paper, I can say what the breakeven point is for any scenario. Tell me what your vacations would cost, what you would pay per point, etc, and I can give you a # of years based on this as well as tell you things like what you'd spend in your lifetime if you did that for 43 years... It's useful. Good data in, good data out.

Last edited:
Exactly. There are only a few factors that really play in. I have about 8 or 10 different variables that simply detail out an amortization schedule. At that point it's up to the reader to interpret effectively too.

Really one just needs to analyze whatever he/she feels is important to come to a decision.

As I do with most of your posts, I'll agree to completely disagree with you on every point you've made. As I said, everybody's abilities, opportunities, and desires to OPTIMALLY financially manage their contracts are different. If you're comfortable with your numbers (including your understanding of cost basis and how it affects your return of capital (think direct versus retail), than that's all that matters. There are many factors involved that can drastically affect the breakeven point of one's contract; ignoring them or not understanding them doesn't make them go away.

As I do with most of your posts, I'll agree to completely disagree with you on every point you've made. As I said, everybody's abilities, opportunities, and desires to OPTIMALLY financially manage their contracts are different. If you're comfortable with your numbers (including your understanding of cost basis and how it affects your return of capital (think direct versus retail), than that's all that matters. There are many factors involved that can drastically affect the breakeven point of one's contract; ignoring them or not understanding them doesn't make them go away.

I'm not quite sure the point you're trying to make. You're saying there are too many factors that can affect the purchase decision that one shouldn't even bother trying to wrap ones' arms around it because it's an exercise in futility to understand them all? One will surely ignore or misunderstand something? I can't say I agree w that. Buying DVC is a pretty simple financial decision that can be completely broken down in one or two spreadsheets. It's on the level of leasing vs buying a car, or renting vs buying a home. Hopefully you can put your thoughts on paper and analyze what's actually going on, or you're just guessing. The OP above was trying to not just guess and put some numbers to it which is the right idea.

Also @Dean and @Disney Dad ADL did calculations independent of mine and came up w similar findings, so it doesn't seem that off-base to attempt the math on this.

Last edited:
Nice to see many others drive themselves nuts, I did. My conclusion (after many spreadsheets) was that it is close - not sure it's a ton of money one way or another. I don't think DVC is a wealth building tool, a windfall of savings or a windfall of expense. If it you absolutely have to have a significant ROI, I don't think you'll find it.

But if the money is close and the experience is great, than it seemed worth it.

For MF I'd assume a 4% annual increase. With rental rates I'd do a 3% annual increase truncated to the nearest 50 cents or dollar. The reason for this is that rental rates don't go up smoothly on an annual basis, they tend to remain flat for a number of years and then jump, thus they are always behind the MF increase.

A really quick ball park estimate is to take purchase price per point / (Rental Rate - MF) which gives you roughly the number of years.

So buying something at $80 per point, with rental rates at $14/point and MF at $6 per point is 80/(14-6) = 10 years. Now do that with $170 per point buy in and you get 170/(14-6) = 21.25 years. Note that this are real rough estimates, but will be a ball park number to let you make some comparisons.

When I started buying DVC back in 2010 (so my points were really cheap) I made some projections that my particular break even point compared to renting DVC points would be 7-8 years. Having kept detailed records on all my transactions, it worked out that I broke even after 7 years.

Last edited:
When I started buying DVC back in 2010 (so my points were really cheap) I made some projects that my particular break even point compared to renting DVC points would be 7-8 years. Having kept detailed records on all my transactions, it worked out that I broke even after 7 years.

Thanks for sharing @DoughEMG. 7 years is the "general" number I most often see cited/projected for resale purchases. Kudos that your projections had very little variance to your actual results. My initial generic projections were around 7 years for my particular contract variables, but with the rental of all free points from purchasing fully loaded contracts, pulling in some points by borrowing, and minimizing my effective cost paid for MF, I've been able to significantly increase my return of capital and speedup the breakeven.

Your estimates are actually very good, although I would increase your average annual increase in MF to at least 3.2% - 3.5%, depending on where you own. Your rental price increase is also within an acceptable tolerance and fine to use. Your comparison to use for break even should be what you'd pay for the same DVC room you'll be staying in as a renter versus an owner, otherwise it's not a like comparison. As Dean points out, incorporate the opportunity costs into your equation.

Also, there are way too many variables in everybody's DVC equation for anyone to make an accurate general statement on how long YOUR breakeven point will be. I always cringe when I read those estimates. Just some of those variables include cost basis, amount of "free" points, opportunity costs, financing, dues discounts, pulling in points from future years to generate revenue/savings early versus later in your contract ownership, etc. I've said it before, but everybody's abilities, opportunities, and desires to optimally financially manage there DVC contracts will vary greatly. This in turn will affect how long your breakeven point will be and can make a significant difference between the breakeven point for even two somewhat similar contract owners.

I think ultimately everyone realizes (or should realize) that all of these spreadsheets/numbers are just ballpark figures to give a general idea whether or not DVC is a financially reasonable decision, and that real life will not exactly mirror what Excel is telling you. There is no way to know with 100% certainly whether buying DVC will save you money, but what you want to know if there is a "reasonable" chance that it will be beneficial in the end ("reasonable" can mean very different things to different people of course). Putting numbers down is a way to start making that decision.

Also, it helps to understand what the weaknesses/uncertainties are of your particular model and whether those uncertainties will generally favor one side or the other. I know my spreadsheet ignores opportunity costs, but I understand that it generally is a point against buying DVC. When you know that unaccounted-for variables are working against DVC ownership, then you just need to remember that when making your final decision.

I also like playing with the numbers a bit and stacking the deck against DVC and see how it looks (like jack up MF increases to 10% annually and see what happens).

I actually think that NOT buying DVC should be the default position, and all your research/spreadsheets/calculations needs to make a very convincing case for you to buy. If your research does not ultimately make you feel like DVC is a slam-dunk decision, then it's better not to buy IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter