• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hip Replacement Surgery Recovery Time

Mrs. Ciz

DIS Veteran
DH is having hip replacement surgery in a couple of weeks. He's heard that they get you up and walking very quickly, so in his mind, recovery is super quick. He is otherwise healthy, works out regularly and is only 50 years old. High school and college football did a number on both his hips. His plan is to get the worst one replaced and then 3-4 months later do the 2nd one.

I have a few questions about my roll as his caregiver and what to realistically expect for his recovery. I'm a school teacher and have my summers off, so I'll have time to help him heal. But my boss, who totally forgot about DH's surgery, has asked me to attend a 2 day meeting in his absence (it's local, so no overnight) 6 days after DH's surgery. I am worried about leaving DH alone all day just 6 days after hip replacement surgery. I'm thinking he will still need my help with dressing, bathing, maybe transitioning from standing/sitting/standing, and I'll need to drive him to his follow up appointments and PT. I'm thinking I need tell my boss to find someone else to fill in for him. Is my thinking correct?

DH's dad has invited us to spend a couple of days with them at their beach rental house 13 days after DH's surgery. Normally I'd be all over this invitation. I love the beach. But I think it might be a little too much too soon. It's a 4 hours drive; the beach house has 3 stories; and I don't know if DH would even be able to walk on the sand. He wouldn't be able to get in the ocean due to the risk of being knocked over by a wave, not sure when stitches come out either. DH doesn't want to disappoint his dad, but I think he's crazy to even consider it. Then again, maybe I'm the crazy one, and the surgery/recovery is not as bad as I am expecting.

How quickly did your recovery (or your loved one's recovery) progress?

My DH had a hip replacement a few years ago at 47 for same reasons, and I’ll say it wasn’t as bad as I anticipated. They did get him up in hospital. They sent him home with a walker and showed him how to go up & down stairs. He was able to do our stairs in house first day home. They give u a strap to put around him & hold in case which is what the PT therapist used. He really could do most things himself. The first couple days I helped with his pants, socks, changed bandage... once he was up for the day though, I think he really only needed help carrying things. So as far as the two days go, I think I could’ve left him as long as maybe a lunch was made that he could carry in a bag and drinks the same way. I think a nurse and PT came to the house the first few days as well.

As far as the beach house, you might be able to do it with accommodations. You’d need to take breaks and get up and walk around during the drive. As for the beach, I think that’d be a no. He was still using a walker then or cane and the uneven surface and having to be able to lift his leg to walk on it would be hard and possibly risky. He also has to go to PT (which was mostly just walking). THat one I’d play by ear depending on how he’s doing and what he’s willing to not do there.

I hope that helps a little. It’s really a hard thing to answer definitively. It really depends on how he’s doing and feeling. My husband probably would’ve been okay without me there but I felt better being there.

Is he having his replacement done anterior or posterior? It makes a difference in the healing time.

Is he having his replacement done anterior or posterior? It makes a difference in the healing time.
I need to ask him. I didn't realize there was even a difference until I started reading stuff today.

Our oldest ds30 just had his done in Sept. He was only in the hospital over night.

we got him furniture risers for the couch and raised toilet seat. The pt came to the house at first. She was barely covering the basics. Also the nurse came twice. She was also not great and since our youngest ds is a nurse and he helped her change the dressing.

He used the walk in shower instead of tub.

Physical therapy was hard on him at times.
I couldn't imagine being at the beach and that long drive after surgery. Blood clot prevention is an issue too.

Everyone heals different and wishing your dh all the best.

My DD24 had surgery for a broken hip at the end of March. I think you will want a sub for your training. She used a walker for the first 2 weeks and needed lots of help getting around, changing ice packs, positioning her leg when moving seats, etc.

Sadly, I would also think the beach is a no go. The drive would have been a killer at that time and the steps would have been extremely difficult. Im not even sure the steps would be allowed at that point. My mom could not do them for a few weeks after knee replacement. Definitely no sand or beach and probably on crutches or a walker.

That said, after the first week the pain was very manageable and she has recovered faster than they expected. She was off all crutches by 2 months post surgery. She still has pain at times but she is walking almost normally most of the time.

Also, she had her post op appt about 12 days after surgery when they removed the staples. She has a scar running about 2/3 of the way down her thigh. I had not expected such a long incision though i guess it makes sense.

My Step-Dad had his replaced a few years ago. He would have been between 50-and 55. He spent and extra day in the hospital because the pain and pain meds were making him really sick. Once he got home he was very stubburn and wouldn't do what he needed to do (unlike him). We think the pain had really gotten to him. My mom bought a bike just to get out of the house for a little bit each day. My mom is also a teacher and my step dad had this done over her spring break. I want to say she took an extra week and then went back to work. After about a month he was doing much better.

My DD24 had surgery for a broken hip at the end of March. I think you will want a sub for your training. She used a walker for the first 2 weeks and needed lots of help getting around, changing ice packs, positioning her leg when moving seats, etc.

Sadly, I would also think the beach is a no go. The drive would have been a killer at that time and the steps would have been extremely difficult. Im not even sure the steps would be allowed at that point. My mom could not do them for a few weeks after knee replacement. Definitely no sand or beach and probably on crutches or a walker.

That said, after the first week the pain was very manageable and she has recovered faster than they expected. She was off all crutches by 2 months post surgery. She still has pain at times but she is walking almost normally most of the time.

Also, she had her post op appt about 12 days after surgery when they removed the staples. She has a scar running about 2/3 of the way down her thigh. I had not expected such a long incision though i guess it makes sense.
So, she had hers done the old fashioned way, posterior?

I am scheduled to have mine done this summer. While researching, every single person I have spoken to who had theirs done anterior (all were old farts like me) were not using a walker, cane or any device within a few days. The guy I spoke to this week said he went home the next day and never used a walker or a cane. Within a week, he was back to work and walking pretty normal. Said it was way, way easier than his 2 knee replacements.

My surgeon told me that when you have it done posterior, there are a ton of restrictions since the muscles were cut and the hip can dislocate easier. You need to sit at a 90 degree angle, you can't cross your legs, and a whole lot of other things you can't do for the first 3 weeks. After 3-4 weeks, she said the recovery is about the same. If you do it anterior, there are no restrictions because the muscles were not cut.

I have had my hip replaced, and also worked with hundreds of others who have had it done, as a physical therapist in short term rehab. Considering his age and prior level of functioning, as well as it being an anterior approach, his recovery should go well and quickly. Within 6 weeks he should feel recuperated, although will still need to work with PT for stretching and strengthening.

At day 6 he will not need help to dress, bath or move about. But it is helpful to have someone around during that first week. It may be more beneficial for your sake, as well as his, to not go to the conference. As for the beach trip. Sitting for four hours is not good, he will need to walk each hour. The stairs should not be a problem, just must be done one at a time. But walking on the beach at day 13 would not be easy with a crutch or cane.

Best wishes to him on a good recovery, and to both of you as you make these decisions. :)

I had hip replacement surgery in Feb 2015. I think Day 6 is too soon to be independent in the day. He'll likely still have access to strong pain killers, have some bad bruising down the back of his leg, have the large surgery bandage affixed, and most importantly, he may have the cuffs on his lower legs to prevent blood clots. I know some doctors only prescribe blood thinners, while others do thinners and prescribe the pressure cuffs on the lower extremities. There are a lot of variables. The main thing is the first two weeks are the most likely for either a fall or a dislocated implant for a variety of reasons.

My 70 year old very active dad had his hip replaced a couple years back. He had the anterior procedure. No physical therapy. 2 nights in the hospital where he was up and walking.

We had him a cane, a walker, a bath seat, a toilet seat all ready for him when he came home. He only used the cane. For a couple days.

He was back at work within about a week. Seriously, he had no issues at all.

He loves his new hip. He is back walking multiple miles per day and enjoying life again. He was miserable with his bad hip!

His twin brother had the posterior procedure done with his hip replacement. Total different outcome. Lots of physical therapy, took weeks to recover. And it never really took like my dads!

Had my hip replaced 9 years ago at 42. I don't suggest being alone 6 days post op- if he falls getting up will be very difficult. I know many have very "easy" recoveries, mine was not and you just don't know how it's going to go.

Had my hip replaced 9 years ago at 42. I don't suggest being alone 6 days post op- if he falls getting up will be very difficult. I know many have very "easy" recoveries, mine was not and you just don't know how it's going to go.
anterior or posterior? (although not the OP, I am also gathering post surgery info) Since it was 9 years ago, I am assuming Posterior?

So, she had hers done the old fashioned way, posterior?

I am scheduled to have mine done this summer. While researching, every single person I have spoken to who had theirs done anterior (all were old farts like me) were not using a walker, cane or any device within a few days. The guy I spoke to this week said he went home the next day and never used a walker or a cane. Within a week, he was back to work and walking pretty normal. Said it was way, way easier than his 2 knee replacements.

My surgeon told me that when you have it done posterior, there are a ton of restrictions since the muscles were cut and the hip can dislocate easier. You need to sit at a 90 degree angle, you can't cross your legs, and a whole lot of other things you can't do for the first 3 weeks. After 3-4 weeks, she said the recovery is about the same. If you do it anterior, there are no restrictions because the muscles were not cut.

I didn't know there was a difference until now. Yes, hers was posterior because I know the muscle was cut. Her hip neck(? The narrow part) was broken so I don't know if that was the reason or not.

I had my right side hip replaced Dec 2016 & the left replaced in July 2017 (6 months later). Both were posterior. I am mid 60's.
I had a wonderful orthopedic surgeon. My incisions are about 3 inches long.

Ok right side was first. Stayed two nights total, including day of surgery. Surgery mid day, up to restroom late that evening (bedpans are a no no with hip surgery). Up several times during the night for potty, next day physical therapist came and we walked down the hall. Next day was discharge day but before leaving the therapist came again and we walked further down the hallway & up some practice steps. They sent me home with a walker & porta potty ($51 insurance copay), it was the old fashioned chrome walker, they said not to use the newer ones with the seat as they move faster and you might trip up. Since I have my own bathroom at home I just adjusted the potty to go over the commode and left it there for a couple weeks. I came home from hospital on a Saturday so for the next two weeks, Mon-Tues-Wed, I had a physical therapist come out. He was absolutely wonderful & put my mind at ease about a lot of things. (I was terrified of popping the new hip out). Four days after surgery, I was using a cane and they had me walking up & down my long driveway several times a day. The therapist also showed me how to pick up stuff off the floor and other useful things. My first real outing after surgery was when I went for a 3 week checkup. I also did one week of outpatient therapy & was back at work 5 weeks later (with right hip they didn't want me driving for 5 weeks).

Left side, stayed same length of time at hospital, only used walker a couple days and was driving & back to work at 3 weeks.

I have not had a bit of trouble or pain since either surgery. I have had two acquaintences have hip surgery since and they didn't recoup as fast as I did. I think it has a lot to do with your mind frame also. I had been in pain for so many years that limited my ability to do much that I was just so determined to make this work.

OP, I think since your DH seems to be pretty active, he will probably not have a long time bouncing back.

I would'nt think a four hour drive would be comfortable tho that soon after surgery. Both times it was around the 3 week mark before I didn't tire easily.

I did bring into the living room one of the straight back dining room chairs with arms to sit in til I could sit lower down onto my comfy sofa.

I didn't have to change any bandages as the one they put on at the hospital was completely waterproof & I could take a shower with it on. The physical therapist took it off on his last visit each time and it didn't need replacing.

Sorry to ramble and don't know if any of this helped but I do know that hip replacement was one of the best things I have ever done, lol.

I'm an outpatient PT so I'll chime in. First of all, remember, everyone recovers at his/her own pace. Given that he is having an anterior hip replacement, he will likely have no precautions( limits in ROM or positions) right away and most likely will be full weight bearing. Being 50, I would think he won't need help transferring to/from a chair or bed and shouldn't need a raised toilet seat. Most likely he will use a walker for a few days and transition to a cane within the first 1-2 weeks. He'll likely be on pain meds but the pain generally isn't too bad from an anterior hip replacement. He won't be able to drive until he's off of the pain meds and moving well.

As far as your work conference, ask him how he feels about it. He may already be in outpatient PT and need a ride. If it was me, I'd bow out of the commitment if you can.

As far as the 4 hour drive to the beach house, it's probably not a great idea. The biggest risk being blood clot from the long car ride. He'd also be uncomfortable for that long, requiring multiple stops. I would think at 2 weeks post op he will not have the green light to swim in a pool or the ocean because of infection risk. The stairs shouldn't be a big deal, he can take them one at a time.

Feel free to ask more questions! Good luck with the surgery and recovery. My DH had ankle replacement 3 years ago...non weight bearing, then caught strep...was miserable. My advice to you is be patient! It won't be fun but it goes by fast.

I'm an outpatient PT so I'll chime in. First of all, remember, everyone recovers at his/her own pace. Given that he is having an anterior hip replacement, he will likely have no precautions( limits in ROM or positions) right away and most likely will be full weight bearing. Being 50, I would think he won't need help transferring to/from a chair or bed and shouldn't need a raised toilet seat. Most likely he will use a walker for a few days and transition to a cane within the first 1-2 weeks. He'll likely be on pain meds but the pain generally isn't too bad from an anterior hip replacement. He won't be able to drive until he's off of the pain meds and moving well.

As far as your work conference, ask him how he feels about it. He may already be in outpatient PT and need a ride. If it was me, I'd bow out of the commitment if you can.

As far as the 4 hour drive to the beach house, it's probably not a great idea. The biggest risk being blood clot from the long car ride. He'd also be uncomfortable for that long, requiring multiple stops. I would think at 2 weeks post op he will not have the green light to swim in a pool or the ocean because of infection risk. The stairs shouldn't be a big deal, he can take them one at a time.

Feel free to ask more questions! Good luck with the surgery and recovery. My DH had ankle replacement 3 years ago...non weight bearing, then caught strep...was miserable. My advice to you is be patient! It won't be fun but it goes by fast.
Your DH catching strep is bad! The only other surgery my DH has had was to repair his Achilles tendon 15 years ago. The surgery went well, but he got a post surgery staph infection that started 18 weeks of awfulness. I think that's why I am so concerned about his hip replacement surgery.

I am so excited for him to get his new hip. He has been in constant pain these last few months. Some days he is barely able to walk. We borrowed a shower seat, cane and walker from friends who've also had hip replacements. We are buying the raised toilet seat just in case. He's 6'5", so the toilet is pretty low to begin with. I'm going to tell my boss he'll need to find someone else to cover for him. I am just not comfortable leaving DH alone for 2 full days 6 days his surgery. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and helping solidify my decision. As for the beach - DH still wants to keep his options open, although we probably will not end up going. He's such an optimist!

Surgery is July 24th. @Hrhpd I'll let you know how everything goes.

I had mine done the old fashion way. DH had to return to work. Was left alone for 2 to 3 days at a time. I did fine alone. We jsut had to plan meals out and make sure I could carry it. My backpack came in handy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter