• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Here now, OMG buses.

xipotec said:
Thats the finding of the latest Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, which shows that 63.1% of adults in the U.S. were either overweight or obese in 2009.
http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/news/20100210/percentage-of-overweight-obese-americans-swells

As a health care professional, the unfortunate reality is many of these disabilities are caused by the obesity epidemic in the US. I see people morbidly obese at younger and younger ages , which will eventually lead to more and more EVC at the parks as these folks age.

My parents toured with us today , both in their late 70's who are in good shape thankfully, no EVC needed,

I hope we can do something about this problem in America, lest everywhere become like WALL-E

I was astounded by a gentleman with on amputated leg , above the knee, who got around really well on crutches.

Ah, so the real reason for the bus rant is revealed! Truth is you have no idea why someone is using an ecv and its not your business anyway. Chronic illness, steroid use, musculoskeletal problems, whatever, can all cause weight issues and/or lead to ecv necessity. And as a health care provider you would think a little less judgement is in order. Sad thing is you already have your preconceived notions and I don't think anything can change that.

I thought the thread was about the loading and unloading of busses. Not about someone's issues with obesity.

I work with diabetics everyday. I find that when they are treated with compassion they may far better progress than when scoffed at with attitude. Most people do. Yell at a smoker that they are raising insurance rates they are t going to stop. Offer support and aid and changes are made.

Burnedout said:
I thought the thread was about the loading and unloading of busses. Not about someone's issues with obesity.

I work with diabetics everyday. I find that when they are treated with compassion they may far better progress than when scoffed at with attitude. Most people do. Yell at a smoker that they are raising insurance rates they are t going to stop. Offer support and aid and changes are made.

Did i say i yelled at diabetics?

ses1230 said:
Ah, so the real reason for the bus rant is revealed! Truth is you have no idea why someone is using an ecv and its not your business anyway. Chronic illness, steroid use, musculoskeletal problems, whatever, can all cause weight issues and/or lead to ecv necessity. And as a health care provider you would think a little less judgement is in order. Sad thing is you already have your preconceived notions and I don't think anything can change that.

The real reason for the bus rant is nor enough buses to cope with all the traffics not just strollers n scooters

Seems there is alot of assuming going on here, you know what they say about that.

I am the guy that gives his seat up, and has my son give up his seat for people.

The point is valid. Ask any doctor.

xipotec said:
The real reason for the bus rant is nor enough buses to cope with all the traffics not just strollers n scooters
The original complaint post was created solely because it was taking so long for the bus you were on to board guests on wheels. It complained only about ECVs and strollers.

There are enough buses to get each guest between any two points buses operate. Anyone feeling this nonpersonalized transportation is insufficient has the immediate option of a taxi; Longterm option of course is to rent a car.

xipotec said:
I am the guy that gives his seat up, and has my son give up his seat for people.
As well as the guy who complained because so many seats become unusable when two ECVs are tied down.

xipotec said:
The point is valid. Ask any doctor.
I'm now totally confused what point relating to transportation asking any doctor would prove.

Well,this thread has convinced me never to go to WDW.I"ll stick to DL....no buses:scared:

Susie63 said:
Well,this thread has convinced me never to go to WDW.I"ll stick to DL....no buses:scared:

I love your avatar! Did you make it?

Lol, the busses aren't bad. Occasionally a driver makes a bad choice, but most people are happy, friendly people.

Eta: I'd stick with dl instead for mr toad!

Geez thank you for getting my point. I deal with diabetics all day who get very angry when you suggest that losing weight would improve their condition, and they almost always take it as an insult rather than medical fact!

I understand what you are saying. But, to be kind is more important than to be right. Many times, what people need is not a brilliant mind that speaks, but a special heart that listens.

Geez thank you for getting my point. I deal with diabetics all day who get very angry when you suggest that losing weight would improve their condition, and they almost always take it as an insult rather than medical fact!
And the fear of pre-diabetes is what has me trying to lose a little bit of weight!!!

So your point is obesity is putting more and more people in ECV, and not the fact that ECV is finally the answer for many people to have mobility independence instead of seating at home?
Now, that's an interesting way to think!! I hadn't really turned it around that way, but you have an excellent point!!

I understand what you are saying. But, to be kind is more important than to be right. Many times, what people need is not a brilliant mind that speaks, but a special heart that listens.
Have I told you how very much I love you!!?????:love::moped:

This really could turn into a 'chicken or the egg' type issue. There could very well be more ECVs simply because they are more accessible to the average person. The average person may not have used one 10 years ago, simply because they just didn't think of it. But now??? We have commercials for them on TV..every day!!!
Yes, the country, as a whole, is larger than ever. And I don't really think that has any bearing on this discussion. I don't think anyone is passing judgement on anyone due to their 'size'. We all know that there are many reasons for being obese or for riding an ECV. One does not automatically follow the other.

Can we please cease discussing the size of guests??? It has no bearing. Thanks for your anticipated cooperation.

Can we please cease discussing the size of guests??? It has no bearing. Thanks for your anticipated cooperation.

Sure. No problem. My apologies if I misunderstood OP's message and sent the thread drifting in that direction!

Short of this thread,

I think they need more buses on a busy day,

Nuff said, kill the thread!!!

Short of this thread,

I think they need more buses on a busy day,

When I have been to WDW during truly busy times of the year (Spring Break or 4th of July, for example) there seems to be bus after bus after bus. I even joked with my dad during the 4th of July trip that he must be a good luck charm, as we had short waits for buses every time we went to the bus stop.

During one Spring Break trip I even had the experience of being the only person on a bus bound for the Magic Kingdom. That was kind of weird, actually.

It opposite for me. It seems like 4 to 5 buses come for every other place except where I want to go...that's kinda why we do first bus that stops with the kids anymore.

waynesgirl said:
It opposite for me. It seems like 4 to 5 buses come for every other place except where I want to go...that's kinda why we do first bus that stops with the kids anymore.

Lol!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter