• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Here now, OMG buses.

How it happens is up to Disney but as I said, if I would be able to board and HAVE A SEAT as an able bodied person equal access means I do not have to wait for a second bus. Anything less than that is not equal access.

Our local transit system uses accordion buses regularly, which can accommodate 2 ECVs at the front, + 1 large stroller at the back, and lots of people in between - no one ever has to get off to let anyone on. Disney needs the double-long buses, stat - especially for morning EMH and at park closing! Honestly, it's not rocket science.

Our local transit system uses accordion buses regularly, which can accommodate 2 ECVs at the front, + 1 large stroller at the back, and lots of people in between - no one ever has to get off to let anyone on. Disney needs the double-long buses, stat - especially for morning EMH and at park closing! Honestly, it's not rocket science.

they have been testing accordion buses on the highest volume routes and the new bus loop being built will be able to accommodate them.

Thats the finding of the latest Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, which shows that 63.1% of adults in the U.S. were either overweight or obese in 2009.
http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/news/20100210/percentage-of-overweight-obese-americans-swells

As a health care professional, the unfortunate reality is many of these disabilities are caused by the obesity epidemic in the US. I see people morbidly obese at younger and younger ages , which will eventually lead to more and more EVC at the parks as these folks age.

My parents toured with us today , both in their late 70's who are in good shape thankfully, no EVC needed,

I hope we can do something about this problem in America, lest everywhere become like WALL-E

I was astounded by a gentleman with on amputated leg , above the knee, who got around really well on crutches.

Oh so it was just a fat lazy people rant.

My mom is 79, 90 lbs wet, and needs endurance help. She's probably excused in your book if guess.

Thats the finding of the latest Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, which shows that 63.1% of adults in the U.S. were either overweight or obese in 2009.
http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/news/20100210/percentage-of-overweight-obese-americans-swells

As a health care professional, the unfortunate reality is many of these disabilities are caused by the obesity epidemic in the US. I see people morbidly obese at younger and younger ages , which will eventually lead to more and more EVC at the parks as these folks age.

My parents toured with us today , both in their late 70's who are in good shape thankfully, no EVC needed,

I hope we can do something about this problem in America, lest everywhere become like WALL-E

I was astounded by a gentleman with on amputated leg , above the knee, who got around really well on crutches.

Just as everything is dying down, the pot is being stirred in ever so nice a fashion!!!!

I think there is a danger in generalizing what proportion of ECV users fit into your assessment that a majority of disabilities are from obesity, lack of exercise, etc. All life choices. All avoidable. Until a correctly designed study or survey is done of people who use ECVs at WDW, that conclusion cannot be arrived at with certainty. And even if it was done, and that conclusion arrived at, I feel badly for the folks who appear overweight, and it's a result of their medications or disability. Because uninformed folks will look at them and conclude that their disability is due to laziness, poor diet, lack of exercise.

Don't judge. Someday you may be in the shoes of the people you are judging and find that your opinion makes a 180 degree change! ;-)

MulanMom said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by xipotec

http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/news/201...ericans-swells

Just as everything is dying down, the pot is being stirred in ever so nice a fashion!!!!

I think there is a danger in generalizing what proportion of ECV users fit into your assessment that a majority of disabilities are from obesity, lack of exercise, etc. All life choices. All avoidable. Until a correctly designed study or survey is done of people who use ECVs at WDW, that conclusion cannot be arrived at with certainty. And even if it was done, and that conclusion arrived at, I feel badly for the folks who appear overweight, and it's a result of their medications or disability. Because uninformed folks will look at them and conclude that their disability is due to laziness, poor diet, lack of exercise.

Don't judge. Someday you may be in the shoes of the people you are judging and find that your opinion makes a 180 degree change! ;-)

double thumbs up!!

So I guess WDW should start renting crutches? That is TRULY wonderful that the amputee you saw was getting along so well just using crutches. and that is said with true sincerity!! BUT you nor I do not know how long he/she was able to do that. Maybe all day, maybe not...

People REALLY need to STOP passing judgement about others. REALLY! Judge, lest ye be judged. If you haven't walked (or in this case...ridden) a mile in the other person's shoes, you really don't know what issue they are dealing with. and if you (general you) aren't their Dr with access to their medical history/info your (general your) opinion has no value whatsoever.
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. And if you have a kid/teen, Hug them tightly and be grateful they are Safe!! (personal reason; do it for me!)

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

Hope you are ok. Will double hug my boys tomorrow.

I can't believe that the person who was so surprised the thread was still going just wanted to rag on people for their weight. That is just disheartening.

Still not sure what the crutch story is about. I know several amputees. None use crutches. Only chairs or prosthetics. They must not be tough enough. I suppose the crux is that people should, in that posters world, stay out of sight until they are Healthy enough to walk all day. That criteria leaves mom out. She won't ever be healthy enough again.

Burnedout said:
Hope you are ok. Will double hug my boys tomorrow.

I can't believe that the person who was so surprised the thread was still going just wanted to rag on people for their weight. That is just disheartening.

Still not sure what the crutch story is about. I know several amputees. None use crutches. Only chairs or prosthetics. They must not be tough enough. I suppose the crux is that people should, in that posters world, stay out of sight until they are Healthy enough to walk all day. That criteria leaves mom out. She won't ever be healthy enough again.

But by the Grace of God my kids are all fine, thank you! We had an incident the other day that could have had otherwise devistating outcome but God was watching over one of my children protecting them!!!!

I guess I shouldn't go to WDW anymore myself then based on this OP's perception. I'll never be able to 'walk' WDW again and I'm not that old! I have significant nerve damage in my leg which multiple Drs have said is permanent and some days it's all I can do to make it thru the grocery store. So I guess Even though I already live with extreme daily pain, I shouldn't be allowed to try and have "any" type of enjoyment in my life. Again, I say 'Judge lest ye be judged'. One person doesn't know another person's life!

I'm so glad to hear your mom enjoys WDW at 79!! I hope I can still go a that age!! God Bless Her!!

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

Burnedout said:

Work with veterans and you will be shown many of them do use crutches if they choose not use a chair or prosthetic. Some have strength issues due to injuries, some are new amputees not yet fitted with a device, sometimes devices break and they are forced into a chair until repair . Judging amputees to not be tough enough? Wow!

mickeyboyfan said:
Work with veterans and you will be shown many of them do use crutches if they choose not use a chair or prosthetic. Some have strength issues due to injuries, some are new amputees not yet fitted with a device, sometimes devices break and they are forced into a chair until repair . Judging amputees to not be tough enough? Wow!

Responding to the assumption that an amputee on a crutch is "good" and someone in a chair is "bad". Not ragging in veterans on crutches. I am involved with the veterans hospital, and stand by my statement.

Try rereading.

My mom is 79, 90 lbs wet, and needs endurance help. She's probably excused in your book if guess.

Nobody was passing judgement here!!! Geez Louise people...defensive much??? While I agree that sometimes we can make gross generalizations, especially on this topic..it is a fact that Americans, as a whole, are getting larger and larger. And it is a fact that there are hugely larger numbers of morbidly obese people in this country. And in all reality??? There are a lot of folks on ECVs who have no issue other than being obese.
I am NOT saying that every person on an ECV is 'fat'..no one here is. But facts are facts people. Our current diet and lack of movement is making us all bigger than ever. And I am just as guilty as the next person.

I have, personally, overheard many conversations among ECV family members that lead me to believe that an ECV is being used soley for convenience rather than something that is really needed. Sure, there are many people that don't use one at home, in their daily life, but due to the huge amount of walking at WDW, prefer to use one there. BUT...there are also those that just don't want to walk....so they rent ECVs. It happens. I just doubt it is as prevalent as some think it is. With the mainstreaming of the attraction lines, and the inability to go to the front of the line most of the time, most people are finding it a pain in the neck to use an ECV...it just doesn't benefit them the way it used to!!!

So, lets get back on track here....no one is stirring the pot..just reciting fact.

The presumption that there is a causal relationship between the two facts and the allusion to walle where the issue wasn't obesity but loss of bone density is offensive.

I also don't care that someone's weight might influence their mobility. All the more power to people still managing to enjoy life and time with their family even though they have made some bad choices.

Yes, obesity is a problem but there are plenty of overweight people running and jumping in parks without EVC. There are plenty of conditions causing person to gain weight and there are plenty of seemed "able bodied" people in EVC. Point is you cannot draw conclusions about why any of them using EVC, unless you actually know their situation.

I have to admit, that there is nothing wrong with using an ECV for convenience other than having them become sold out and the next guest really needing one can't get one. Though not as conspicuous as being able bodied and first on the bus and sitting down and the next guest really needing a seat ... (hint hint).

Maybe some folks long got in the habit of getting off (the MBTA etc. subway train) back at home to let others maneuver around, never realizing that they might not be able to get back on (the Disney bus). Years ago, riding the subway I would step off to let others off, while holding the door (actually for them). (snip)

Since at Disney wheelchairs guests get in the back door, anyone who got off to let the driver load a wheelchair should be able to reboard at that back door before the driver lets the door close.

xipotec said:

NO more empathy. That 63.1% (or any number / percentage / ratio) of Americans are overweight or obese would be apropos to this conversation only if 63% or so of Walt Disney World Guests were using electric convenience vehicles or wheelchairs during you visit. Or ever.

Oh, and it's great that the quoted poster's parents in their 70's are able to tour the parks on foot. My dad had polio as a kid. Maybe stop judging and displaying one's own biases, and just be grateful to be able to walk, and not worry about others' reasons for why they do what they do?

Or quit complaining and rent a car.

Burnedout said:

Obviously everyone is not just morbidly obese on a scooter. Thats not what the post is about. What point i am making is if we as a country do not change our ways, there will be alot more EVC each year, then Disney will really have transportation issues!
And not just Disney, the scooters are in shopping malls grocery stores too.
Does it make more sense to prevent disease or just build more scooters??
Of course , many EVC's are needed for amputees or immune diseases like MS or cancer , and thoses will alway be needed.
Sorry if that post hit a nerve.

goofy4tink said:
Nobody was passing judgement here!!! Geez Louise people...defensive much??? While I agree that sometimes we can make gross generalizations, especially on this topic..it is a fact that Americans, as a whole, are getting larger and larger. And it is a fact that there are hugely larger numbers of morbidly obese people in this country. And in all reality??? There are a lot of folks on ECVs who have no issue other than being obese.
I am NOT saying that every person on an ECV is 'fat'..no one here is. But facts are facts people. Our current diet and lack of movement is making us all bigger than ever. And I am just as guilty as the next person.

I have, personally, overheard many conversations among ECV family members that lead me to believe that an ECV is being used soley for convenience rather than something that is really needed. Sure, there are many people that don't use one at home, in their daily life, but due to the huge amount of walking at WDW, prefer to use one there. BUT...there are also those that just don't want to walk....so they rent ECVs. It happens. I just doubt it is as prevalent as some think it is. With the mainstreaming of the attraction lines, and the inability to go to the front of the line most of the time, most people are finding it a pain in the neck to use an ECV...it just doesn't benefit them the way it used to!!!

So, lets get back on track here....no one is stirring the pot..just reciting fact.

Geez thank you for getting my point. I deal with diabetics all day who get very angry when you suggest that losing weight would improve their condition, and they almost always take it as an insult rather than medical fact!

Obviously everyone is not just morbidly obese on a scooter. Thats not what the post is about. What point i am making is if we as a country do not change our ways, there will be alot more EVC each year, then Disney will really have transportation issues!
And not just Disney, the scooters are in shopping malls grocery stores too.
Does it make more sense to prevent disease or just build more scooters??
Of course , many EVC's are needed for amputees or immune diseases like MS or cancer , and thoses will alway be needed.
Sorry if that post hit a nerve.

So your point is obesity is putting more and more people in ECV, and not the fact that ECV is finally the answer for many people to have mobility independence instead of seating at home?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter