Here now - Day 1 review & magical moment recap

2BEKs

Mouseketeer
Hi! We're here in WDW and I'm going to start jotting my notes down here to compile for a later, bigger, better TR. Right now - just notes mainly.

Background - we were a party of 6 until my mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer a month ago. She and her husband can no longer make it - as her surgery is TODAY (prayers welcome!!!!!). So we had 2 extra military tickets to "worry" about not being able to use.

We arrived in Orlando around midnight on the 17th/18th and DH promptly fell down the stairs at the airport and broke his arm.

Spent from 9am - 1pm at the Orlando ER getting hubby's arm looked at, fixed, and pain meds filled.

Left Orlando Hospital and drove 2 hours to visit Mom and Grandpa Bob in Dunnellon. Wound up spending the night due to lack of sleep/broken arm/excited kids.

Yesterday - 19th - was to be our DHS day and MOST IMPORTANT on the schedule was the Jedi Training Academy. Bought RideMax and planned several scenarios - all assuming we'd be there at RD and staying through Fantasmic.

Nope!

Arrived at DHS around 1:5opm, had an AMAZING cast member at Guest services!!! She was so wonderful and actually let us return our non-refunable military tickets (the two we couldn't use), gave us great advice about how the Jedi Training Academy participants are chosen (we had an idea, but had NO idea that you could sign up for later shows at EACH show... we thought it was a one shot deal...), she gave us our First Visit buttons AND a "It's My Bday" button for my DS who turns 7 tomorrow. AND then she gave us 4 "any ride" fast passes since we had such a rough start to our vacation. Our first magical moment! :lovestruc

Turns out she was also touched by breast cancer, AND our birthday's are only 2 days/2 years apart. It was great to just chat with her awhile - EVEN though DS was dying to get that Jedi Robe on. Totally worth it!

Having to totally ditch the RideMax plans, we hightailed it over to the Jedi Training Academy where we joined the line in progress for the 2pm show. We didn't get in the 2pm show BUT we were able to get a return ticket for the 4pm show. PERFECT! We then got FPs for the Star Tours ride, which we figured we could ride after the 4pm show.

We then went and rode the Great Movie Ride - we walked right into the airconditioned part of the line, and waited maybe 10 mins or so until we were seated in our tour mobile thing. I forgot to ask for the Cowboy show, so we wound up getting the Gangster one... it was good, but I have a feeling my kids would have liked the Cowboy one better.

BUT had we waited for the cowboy one we would have missed our second magical moment - getting absolutely PRIME viewing spots for the Move It Shake it parade!!! What happened is we left the Great Movie Ride and went back to the Star Wars area and - BAM - right there the entire parade from start to finish went right by us! Characters still in great form, everyone dancing and celebrating - it was awesome!! :lovestruc

After the parade passed, we got some water and ice cream and put DS back in the Jedi line with his come back card.

Soon we were watching our DS fight Darth Vador up on stage!! He was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy!!! :love: We were given a photopass slip where we could go to the photopass counter and they would put ALL the pictures from the academy onto our photopass card too! YAY! I could just take a video knowing that the pros had the still shots covered! :lovestruc I call that magical moment 3 since DS was up on stage and not in the lower portion where there was no live commentary. The jedi training master was AWESOME and really funny! Great time had by all!

I then took the kids on the Star Tours ride, DH sat it out due to his arm. We used our FPs and literally walked right on up and got put in the FRONT ROW of the simulator! Magic Moment 4 :lovestruc Kids REALLY enjoyed the show, and I was surprised at how well done it was. Very cute! I was worried about the motion simulator, but it was NO BIG deal at all!

We then decided to do the Muppet Vision 3D. DS had a minor melt down and wanted to leave NOW to get his birthday present - any lego box he wanted from the DTD store. We tried telling him again and again that the lego store was in ANOTHER area, and that we'd do it 1st thing tomorrow am... but to no avail. We finally compromised that if he did the muppet show, let DD and I do TOT, then we would ALL leave and go to DTD to get dinner and his lego box.... that worked.

We walked right into the Muppet Movie and waited in the AC lobby for maybe 5 mins before we were seated and the show started. What was once a frown on DS was soon a HUGE grin and he wound up loving the "muffin show". :lmao: Sharing the "muffins" with the kids and having them love them as much as I do - magic moment #5

From there we walked SLOWLY over around to the TOT/Rocken Roller coaster area. We split up and DH took DS somewhere, while I took DD to see if we could put those fastpasses to good use! We got in the FP line for the roller coaster, waited about 3 mins and saw people leaving the line... it was broken for an undetermined amount of time.

We left... and headed straight to the TOT.

We used our FPs and literally walked right into the elevator ride. From setting foot inside the hotel to butts in the seats was maybe all of 6 minutes including the pre show, and winding our way around the maze into the ride area. AWESOME!

Being our first time, and me NOT loving "drop you" rides- I was really nervous... but I wanted to try it and DD8 was SOOOO wanting to ride this. SO we buckled in (oh - we buckled in the FRONT ROW after being called as a "anyone in a party of 2??"!!!!) :) Magic moment #6

The TOT was FANTASTIC!!! Great motion, great view over the park, and really, just a lot of fun! :woohoo:

We met up with DH and DS and got back to the car, headed over to DTD. We found the lego store and put our names on the wait list for Dinosaur! (expected wait time, 15 mins!). DS couldn't make up his mind, so we decided to eat, then go back to the Lego store. We walked into Dinosaur, and while I KNEW it was going to be loud, we were really put off by HOW LOUD it was. DS immediately said "do we HAVE to eat here? Its too loud!". So we walked back out, our recall slip in hand, and gave it to a party of 4 waiting to put their name on the board. I told them they were now US and they'd be called in the next 2 minutes. Hopefully that gave THEM some magic!

We walked over to the Italian place... portabello or something... never heard of it. Walked RIGHT in and were sitting at our table in less than 3 minutes. The food was AMAZING (get the home made ravioli!!!) and everyone had a great meal, at a great table, with a great waitress! Magic moment #8

From there DD and I went back to DHS and DH and DS stayed to get the lego box and would take a cab back to the hotel (Country Inn and Suites, Lake Buena Vista).

Now it was about 9pm and the park closed at 10 with a 10:30 showing of Fantasmic.

DD and I headed straight to RNRC and using our FPs from the guest services lady, walked right into the pre show area. We were in our stretch limo within seconds and screaming our heads off no time. GREAT rollercoaster!!! We got seated in the back (our fave roller coaster spot! so that counted as Magic Moment #9)

Now having exhaused all of our FPs (we only had 4 - one for each of us, but since DS and DH didn't ride, DD and I got to use them on 2 rides) we wondered if we could get one more ride on the TOT... so we headed over there. Not a SINGLE person in sight - we asked if we could ride, or if they were shutting down... they waived us through and we found ourselves wtih about 10 other people in the lobby, then in the pre show, then in the elevator ready to board - in the FRONT ROW again!!! magic moment #10!!

So now it's 10pm and the park is closing. The gates are up at TOT as we exit the gift shop so we knew no more rides were in our future.

Instead we shopped! DD got some pins and a lanyard, and I went to the photopass store to have the Jedi academy pics put on my photopass account.

The pictures were AWESOME!!!! I am one happy mamma!!! Just seeing those pics and the pure joy on DSs face as he fought Darth Vader... that was MY magic moment #11!

So now it's easily 10:30 and we find a photopass photographer and have OUR picture taken in front of an EMPTY backlot with the glowing Sorcerer hat in the background - YAY!

Then we grab one last mickey bar (well, technically, our FIRST mickey bar) from a cart who pretty much looked closed. I asked him if we could buy an ice cream and he said NO - you can HAVE it since you're my last customer of the day. :love: YAY!!!!! Magic Moment #12

As DD and I walked back to our car, eating our mickey bar, watching all the fireworks (assuming Wishes???) I gave a silent prayer that the rest of the vacation will be this awesome!!!

Today - day 2 is a total rest day. It's 9am as I'm typing this and DH is still sleeping, DS is contuining to build his lego set, and DD is waiting on me for breakfast.... so off I go.

Let's see what day 2 holds!!! :yay::yay::yay:

so happy to hear that such a not so happy start ended up working out so well for you and your family....it's times like that which remind me why I love Disney so much! Enjoy the rest of your vacation and keep the updates comming! :goodvibes

AWESOME!!! I love how you've kept such a positive attitude and have been able to find the magic even with a bumpy start - hope the magic keeps coming!:goodvibes

Oh my goodness, what a start to your vacation.
Did your dh fall down the steps that went down to DME?

And, did you decide not to do Fantismic at 10:30 p.m.?

Oh my goodness, what a start to your vacation.
Did your dh fall down the steps that went down to DME?

And, did you decide not to do Fantismic at 10:30 p.m.?

Thanks everyone!!

DH fell down the steps that go from where you pick up the rental cars back down to the terminal. We got to the budget rental window at 11:59 and they close at midnight... well there was no one there. GRRRR. So Dh went BACK down to the terminal and I stayed w/ the kids and luggage near where our car would be. I never heard or saw him fall - he came back about 1/2 hour later in a FOUL mood and told me about hurting his arm. We thought it was just a bad sprain, but the next AM when he couldn't MOVE it, I insisted he have it looked at. Luckily it's a "good" break to have - no cast, just a sling. He broke the "radial head" (near the elbow) so it's just in a sling and he only needed the prescription pain meds once thus far.

DD and I opted NOT to see Fantasmic at 10:30.... the lines were insane and we were both pretty exhausted from the previous two days events.

So while I'm bummed at missing Fantasmic, I AM really really pleased overall with our day yesterday. :) And, missing SO much of DHS just means that we'll have to come back pretty soon and see the rest :rotfl:

Today was interesting day. We slept late, then drove out about 9 miles to a cute little diner that is part of the United Rewards program - Dixie Bell's Diner. Great food, a bit pricey though for breakfast... but all in all very good meal. Great service, and they had actual coloring books for the kids. Pretty neat.

Back to the hotel and we decided to take the hotel shuttle to Epcot and then take the monorailaround the resorts and get a feel for our trip tomorrow AM to the MK.

We stopped at the Poly because I heard how gorgeous it was - and WOW! SOOOO pretty! We wandered down to the pool/beach and DD played w/ the hoola hoops and DS splashed in the fountains for a few seconds. There was NO ONE there, so I figured it was OK that we take up this tiny amount of space as "non guests".

We then hopped back on the monorail and rode a complete loop back to the Poly to get on a bus to DTD. We waited almost 45 minutes before we gave up and called a cab. So much for trying to be budget minded and using the transportation vs. using our rental car... Had we known how SLOOOOOOOOWWWWW the busses are - we would have just drove. Or done something else...

But - again - it was no biggie. DS was soaked and happy from the fountains, so he was nice and cool while we were waiting, DD and I just pretended we were in hawaii (a potential relocation spot for us) and unfortunately DH was not comfy...

A cab ride later and we were back to our hotel room for snacks, swimming and soon to be a very early dinner.

We have an 8am ressie at Crystal Palace tomorrow, so it will be an EARLY morning for us. We'll be in bed super early tonight....

Talk to you all tomorrow!

:banana::banana:

Hitting busses for where you want to go, is a hit or a miss.
I took my friend along to check into the BC, me and my dh were at a convention. My friend has never been to WDW and I wanted to show her a few resorts.
We got on a bus to go to the MK, and the bus stopped at the BC, BWV, Swan, then the Dolphin. It took over 45 minutes to get over to the MK. I guess they make those resorts wait a long time, because they are in walking distance of Epcot and the Studios.

If you stay at POR or POFQ, you can take that Ferry to DTD and the mono-rail resorts are a quick way to the MK.

Hope you have great weather, and your dh arm feels better.

Isn't it great how the magical moments come when we need them the most?!:goodvibes How are you finding the crowds? We'll be down on Monday = Enjoy!!
Saying prayers for your mom - I am 90 days post-op from a lumpectomy - hope her recovery goes as well as mine has.:hug:

With a start like that I am so glad that your trip has turned out for the better!!! Hope you have a great day tomorrow!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter