• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Here it is - the OFFICIAL 2014 READING GOAL CHALLENGE THREAD

Elizabeth George has a murder mystery series set in England. The main character is Inspector Lynley (sp).

I'm in and my goal is 52 books. I'm looking forward to reading the next installment of the Outlander series (if the author gets it out this year).

Outlander #8 -- Written in My Own Heart's Blood -- is due out 6/5/14! :thumbsup2

Yay-amazon had a book by one of my favorite authors on sale for $1.99 today, so I've got "Marrying Daisy Bellamy" ready to read. Thank goodness for the goodreads website. I almost bought two other books also, but I found out by double-checking goodreads that I'd already read them. And one of them "Return to Willow Lake" was one of my top favorites for the year! I just can't remember book titles.

Outlander #8 -- Written in My Own Heart's Blood -- is due out 6/5/14! :thumbsup2

I know, but it's been pushed back twice. It was supposed to be out in June 2013 and then it went to fall of 2013 and now June 2014. I'm hoping it will be out and not pushed back again. I'm impatiently waiting to find out happens next!

I need to take Killing Jesus off of my 2014 to read list. I read it last week. It was an excellent book! It's about Jesus the man and had history of how things led up to his death. There are back stories on Pilate, the Herods, Rome, etc. It is a historical book, not a spiritual one. Very good. I am adding it to my top reads of 2013.

I need to take Killing Jesus off of my 2014 to read list. I read it last week. It was an excellent book! It's about Jesus the man and had history of how things led up to his death. There are back stories on Pilate, the Herods, Rome, etc. It is a historical book, not a spiritual one. Very good. I am adding it to my top reads of 2013.

Great to hear your review! I'm a fan of Bill O'Reilly and was wondering about that book.

I would like to join! My goal for 2014 is 120 books.

The first book for the new year will be "Balancing it All" by Candace Cameron Bure.

I have already registered for this thread a few posts up but I just wanted to add, if anyone is looking for books to read, I HIGHLY recommend The Husbands Secret.. I believe the author is called Lianne Moriarty but don't quote my spelling as I don't have my copy handy... I couldn't put it down! :)

I would like to join! My goal for 2014 is 120 books.

The first book for the new year will be "Balancing it All" by Candace Cameron Bure.
I want to read that. I have her first book, Reshaping It All, and it's on my to-read list.

I have a horrible habit of reading the first chapter of a book before I buy it to see if I think I'll like it, then buying it, but put off reading it since I own it and can read it whenever I want. I'm going to try and read most of what I already own this year before I buy a lot of new stuff.

I would love to join in for 2014! My goal for the year is 200 books.

:faint: I'm JEALOUS that you can read so much!!!

This book is technically an extension(I think of it as a bonus) of the 2013 Challenge, but I liked it so much that I wanted to go ahead and review it here for anyone else that might be interested in it for 2014.

Parasite(Parasitology book #1)
Mira Grant

I LOVED this book and seriously can not wait until the next one comes out. It was a little predictable, but other parts were unexpected. I could not put this book down. I wanted answers and it did a good job of delivering them!

(I'm going to add this to the 2013 thread as well)

Cheater! (posting a book in the 2014 thread when it's not even 2014 yet!) ;)

I put all the books I've bought in the last couple years and still haven't read in my signature. I don't think I'll get through all of them next year, but I'm going to bold them as I read them and see how many I can get through.

I LOVE this idea!!! Will be fun watching your signature change throughout the year :)

Have you read "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" and the others by Alan Bradley? They are British murder mysteries, and I ADORE them!!! The protagonist is wonderful, and the writing style is fantastically British!

Highly recommended this book as well. I absolutely adored it!!

I am new to this challenge. I work an insane number of hours and have little time to read, but I want to read more. My goal is much lower than everyone elses, but I am going for 14 (only because I do not like the number 13).

I want to read the Bible in a year and then one other book a month. I would be thrilled if I could reach that goal.

I think the Bible should count as 66 books! :thumbsup2 A very worthy goal! I'm hoping to read more of the Bible this year, but not sure I'll actually get through it in its entirety before year's end...

Yay-amazon had a book by one of my favorite authors on sale for $1.99 today, so I've got "Marrying Daisy Bellamy" ready to read. Thank goodness for the goodreads website. I almost bought two other books also, but I found out by double-checking goodreads that I'd already read them. And one of them "Return to Willow Lake" was one of my top favorites for the year! I just can't remember book titles.

Haha, I do that all the time!! Hate it when I buy a book only to find out that I already read it... or worse, find out I had already bought the stupid thing, lol.

Adding this one to my list. Thanks for the recommendation!

I have already registered for this thread a few posts up but I just wanted to add, if anyone is looking for books to read, I HIGHLY recommend The Husbands Secret.. I believe the author is called Lianne Moriarty but don't quote my spelling as I don't have my copy handy... I couldn't put it down! :)

Thanks for the review. I've had that book on my list for a while now - need to get to it!

Way too many books, so little time!

Updated through here. PHEW!!! I had 5 pages to work though, lol.

A big welcome to all the new members! So glad to have you join us! :grouphug:

Please check list to make sure I added you. I'm EXHAUSTED this morning and can barely see straight, so I'd be shocked if I didn't miss anyone or screw up someone's name or goal #, lol.

Go figure, all of my library holds came through at the same time! Guess I know how I'll be ringing in the new year!

I would like to try this challenge this year. I love to read; however, I start many and finish few. I would like to actually finish some in 2014! I will set a low goal of 20 and hopefully will be able to accomplish!

Book 1/120- "Balancing it All" by Candace Cameron Bure. I thought I would really like this book since I like Candace, but it was very disappointing. It was boring and even her insider stories about Full House were dull. I would not recommend this book at all. I gave it a 1/5 stars rating on goodreads.

Up next is "I Hunt Killers" by Barry Lyga.

I want to join the challenge for this year. I'll try and start with 30 books. I like to read but I never kept track about how many books a year.

I'm reading the Mockingjay (Hunger Games last book) at the moment.
I don't have a list of to-read-books so I'm looking forward for inspiration of this board.

Next book that I will read is Facing the Music and Living to Talk about It by Nick Carter.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this on Goodreads? I finished a book late last night but I didn't get to record it until this morning. So it's listed as the first book of 2014. I tried to go back and edit it on my shelf, but for some reason that didn't work. So now it says I've read one of my 75 books already, although I haven't yet started any for 2014-this was a 2013 book. Any ideas how to correct this? If I can't figure it out, I'm OK with just totally deleting this one book, so it doesn't show me having completed any books in 2014.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this on Goodreads? I finished a book late last night but I didn't get to record it until this morning. So it's listed as the first book of 2014. I tried to go back and edit it on my shelf, but for some reason that didn't work. So now it says I've read one of my 75 books already, although I haven't yet started any for 2014-this was a 2013 book. Any ideas how to correct this? If I can't figure it out, I'm OK with just totally deleting this one book, so it doesn't show me having completed any books in 2014.

You should be able to re-click the "read" button and edit the date toward the bottom of the window. (It has a date table and to the left says "set as today".)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter