Here is September 11th as it happened on the DIS...very long

As each year passes I wonder how much I will remember in the following year. Even though it was 16 years ago, I still remember so many details of what I experienced that day. As I grow older still that may change but for now, I wont forget that day.

I'm old now - and I know I will never forget. I can remember almost every minute of that day.

Still can't believe this happened. I was in German class when this happened. It wasn't until I went to the student union for breakfast that I found out what had happened. I also worked for The Disney Stores then and found out that a Cast Member from my store was on the second plane. So sad.

As each year passes I wonder how much I will remember in the following year. Even though it was 16 years ago, I still remember so many details of what I experienced that day. As I grow older still that may change but for now, I wont forget that day.

I will never forget anything from that week, though it is still jumbled in my mind, just as it all was as it was happening. Today, as I do every year, I honor Ann, Joe, Dan, Pat, and Jim. It still makes me incredibly sad. :grouphug: to anyone else out there still hurting today.

Still can't believe this happened. I was in German class when this happened. It wasn't until I went to the student union for breakfast that I found out what had happened. I also worked for The Disney Stores then and found out that a Cast Member from my store was on the second plane. So sad.
I was in Spanish class.

Thank you for bumping this up again. We talk with our kids, our oldest was not quite two in September 2001, about this day each year. They know the story of learning DH was ok, and how we drove from Austin to Dallas to pick him up a few days later because that was as close as we could get him to home from Portland. Our story has a happy ending, we were truly blessed.

I think everyone (or almost everyone) around the world was shocked beyond belief and have this moment burned into their brains despite it being more about American history.

I'll never forget how I first heard about it. I was in 8th grade and we used to have quiet reading time on Tuesday mornings (it was a mandatory thing for high school students). My form room teacher would always make sure we were actually reading books and not textbooks, and so that day I took a book that was called moonlight something. This is the only thing I can remember of the book and it was so poignant that that was the passage I happened to be reading as the first plane flew into the first tower. The story was set in the early 1940's, and the narrator was a girl was describing that her usually happy-go-lucky teacher, was in tears and inconsolable one day and it turned out that the reason was because she had just gotten word that her boyfriend was killed during the attack on Pearl Harbor. That is literally the only part of the book I remember. And I also never finished the book because I was too traumatized by the coincidence. Pretty much as soon as I was done reading the passage my friend's sister walked into the room and asked our teacher to speak to her. That's when she told her that her class had been listening to the radio and heard about what was happening in NYC. Its safe to say that the rest of the school day was a blur and we were all in a panic (adults too). We had a special assembly at like 1 p.m. and our principal explained what happened and also explained that we will all feel the blow, especially us with such close proximity with the US, not to mention that at the time we had no idea if the attacks affected any Bahamian ex-pats that may have been living in the US/NYC. By the end of her speech, although it was supposed to be for informative purposes, I was convinced that there was chance that we would be attacked too. I just figured, in my teenage way of rationalising things, if someone could attack a big country like the US, what could stop them from attacking us? What if they tried to force their way into our little country to "setup office" just to coordinate more attacks on the US? We were let out of school early and well the rest is the similar story as everyone else's. Every single channel on the TV was news broadcast, so TV was not an escape.

I don't think I will ever forget what happened that day, or what I saw on TV. The world was at standstill, and all we are left to do is to continue to pray for all those who lost loved ones that day in this brutal act against humanity.

I was around the DIS in 2001, but I guess had a different account until I officially "joined" in 2003, but I read about the plane into the tower first on the DIS that morning while at work, I always had the DIS open and it was my go-to for breaking news. There was no Facebook, Twitter, smartphone...the DIS was the information superhighway in 2001.

I had just put my 2 youngest kids on the school bus and went back in the house to see the first plane news. Called DH at work to tell him to turn on the TV.

VP Pence gave a very good speech today in Shenksville (I am in PA so that event is close to home.)

I was newly pregnant with my second child. As I was crossing First Avenue with my 11 month old son in Manhattan to go vote in the primary election when I got a call from my husband, who worked near the Towers. I looked down the avenue and saw the smoke. After the second plane hit, my husband called and said he was coming home. I remember waiting for him to arrive. He, like countless others, had to walk all the way uptown. My husband said that he chose not to look in the direction of the burning buildings in order not to witness all the people jumping.

I joined the DIS in 2005 when I knew we were moving to the East Coast and I would be going to WDW instead of DL for a while.

I had a 2.5 year old and a 9 month old at the time. We were on the West Coast, so I was getting ready for work. By the time I got to work everyone had radios or TVs on. By the time school got out and we were driving home, there were military lining the streets. Everyone wondered who would be next. We thought it might be us (Los Angeles.) Definitely a scary time and a sad time.

Thank you, Shutterbug, for bringing this back to page one again. Always sad, always unforgettable.
Here are copies of many but not all of the posts from September 11th. Some aren't in order because of dropped threads & picked up ones. I'll pick up where I left off as I can. Hope this works.
And thank you again, Jenifer, for putting this together so many years ago. :hug:'s

I was 21, fresh out of grad school (far too young) and was commuting into Nashville, my not yet first husband and I heard on NPR when the first plane hit...I had colleagues there I talked to daily...we watched in horror in a conference room for the rest of the day. 295 colleagues were lost that day for just going to their jobs.

I was in my office on Park Ave and 40th street in NYC that morning. Information was trickling in and I was listening to the radio I kept on my desk. As soon as we knew this was not an accident, I started to call home. The phone lines were jammed and it took me almost a half an hour hitting redial to finally get a line out. My DH was not home to pick up and so I left him a message letting him know I was OK and how I was planning to get home. He was so grateful to see my message when he got home after turning around on the highway once he heard the news. By then the city had closed the bridges and transit out of Manhattan and I depend on the commuter train from Grand Central to get to my home 50+ miles north of the city. We were kept in the office until just before noon and then told to get home however we could. Some colleagues walked downtown to cross the bridges on foot to Brooklyn and Queens. Some walked crosstown to catch a boat to NJ. I walked uptown into Harlem with the thought that I would walk across one of the bridges and then try to catch a cab or a ride north from there. I saw people walking that were covered in ash and the smoke downtown was incredible. I stopped at the first ATM I saw to get as much cash as I could since I had no idea what I would need to get home. I also bought water since the sun was hot and the walk would be long. Thankfully after walking more than 80 blocks, my rail was just starting to run from the 125th Street station to points north. Was it that long ago that I worked near to the towers, attended meetings in Windows on the World and visited the observation deck with my DH? I couldn't believe what had happened. It wasn't until days later than we learned two former coworkers, many colleagues at companies we worked with and a friend of my husband's had perished. The day haunts me and I have never worked in the city again on 9/11. I've either taking the day off or worked from home and DH and I always watch the memorial service and the reading of names.

When my company left downtown years earlier, it had considered space in the WTC but ultimately moved midtown due to cost. On the morning of 9/11, my company was supposed to sign a lease for a new location a few blocks away. As it turned out, the company that was moving out had signed a lease for new space in the WTC. They could no longer move and so the lease wouldn't be signed and we lost the space. Our office was already leased to new people and my company was suddenly without a place to go. We eventually found space a few blocks away and that lasted until June when we moved to Jersey City. Now I have to travel downtown once I get to Grand Central and then through the transit center at the WTC everyday in order to get to NJ. It is a constant reminder.

This past July, DH, DD and I visited the WTC Memorial and Museum. It is haunting and a beautiful tribute at the same time. I highly recommend it but know that there are times that you may be moved to tears as we were. God bless those who lost their lives, those who gave their lives trying to save others and the families left behind.

Thank you Jennymouse for posting. Brings back memories of one of the worst days in history for our country. A day none of us, old enough to remember, will ever forget.

9-13-2012-2-23-14-PM-3006036.jpg

(Monmouth Journal)

I was here on 9/11/01 (although my account got messed up in the database issue way back and I had to rejoin).

I remember reading and sharing with wonderful folks while waiting for word from loved ones. It helped a great deal and made me feel less alone.

"We go on through the joy and through the tears. We go on to discover new frontiers.
Moving on with the current of the years, we go on moving forward now as one.
Moving on in the spirit born to run.
We go on with each rising sun to a new day. We go on."

I will always think of 9/11 when I hear this.

Last edited:
I had just put my 2 youngest kids on the school bus and went back in the house to see the first plane news. Called DH at work to tell him to turn on the TV.

VP Pence gave a very good speech today in Shenksville (I am in PA so that event is close to home.)

I am from Northeast Ohio. Flight 93 was hijacked in the skies above.

I was in Manhattan that day, at my office in midtown. The two memories I and many others who were in the same circumstance have of that day are (a) how beautiful the weather was and (b) being terrified by continual sounds of low flying jets (after the two tower attacks, air national guard fighters started flying sorties back and forth over Manhattan. The last thing anyone wanted to be hearing at that point was the roar of an approaching plane).

I was in Manhattan that day, at my office in midtown. The two memories I and many others who were in the same circumstance have of that day are (a) how beautiful the weather was and (b) being terrified by continual sounds of low flying jets (after the two tower attacks, air national guard fighters started flying sorties back and forth over Manhattan. The last thing anyone wanted to be hearing at that point was the roar of an approaching plane).

I was here in Boston going to school, so I obviously have different memories. That being said, I remember the sounds of the military jets that would fly over Boston from time to time and how strange that was. No sounds of planes flying in or out of Boston, then the occasional jet flying over. Come to think of it, no sounds at all since most people were home and no one was on the streets.

Sums of things pretty well.

I can still recall being in college living in my off campus apartment. I didn't have class or work that morning and planned to leisurely watch Good Day Sacramento before heading to campus for an instructors office hours. Instead of watching what was planned, I was glued to the Today Show and news coverage of the horrific scenes. My boyfriend at the time lived three hours away and called to tell me to turn on the tv, which I was already watching. I couldn't believe what was happening. Thoseimages will forever be in my head. I did make it to campus that day but classes were being canceled. I do recall watching news coverage in the theater building on a large projector/screen with other students discussing the events and wondering what the future held? My brother was in the army at the time and his base was on lockdown. We heard very little from him in the week following the incident.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter