Helpppppp not sitting together? Sort of budget related

You people are so weird. If you can't afford prefered seating, a child under 13 should just be alone? How is that fair for the CHILD? Let's spend some more time judging people with tight budget and punishing their children for it. Clearly, airline should book any child with a parent. If no two seats next to each other are available, they shouldnt let the booking go through. It's not rocket science. I hate that mentally. If we lived in a world where the money you own was entirely based on merit and effort, I might get it. But we don't. You're lucky you can spare dollars for those upgrades. Other people can't or if they do, they'll have to cut somewhere else along the line. Also, it is entirely true that airline DO NOT let you see all available seats. The feature to pay to choose seat shouldn't even exist. If a family is split and you feel pressured into giving up a seat you "paid for", you should be mad at the airline who didnt block at least two seats together.

People aren't weird, they just have different opinions. Children under 13 are more than capable of sitting alone in the confined space of a plane. They spend so much of their time away from home when they are at school, clubs and other activities, etc. Many children would actually prefer not having to sit with their parents. Children 5 and under should be seated with a least one parent but other people shouldn't have to give up their seats because someone else didn't pay or plan ahead to get the seats they need or want. If the family can't be seated together without inconveniencing others, they should be moved to the next flight that can accommodate them. Afterall, it was the parents' choice to fly that airline on that flight, on that day and in their fare category. Why should others have to move because of your choices? Of course, if others have no problem moving, that's fine. It's not fine to consider those passengers a problem because they want to sit where they planned. As for the extra budget, how much does it cost to buy two assigned seats over two non-assigned seats? It's probably less than $200 roundtrip. Now how much is that same family spending for their hotel, car rental, Disney tickets, character meals, etc.? Sure, there are families where that money would make a difference but IMHO if $200 is the difference between going on or ruining your vacation and not, your finances are probably such that a more moderate, close to home vacation should be considered.

My kids suddenly morph into these weird mini adults on planes. They're like those two kids in the Airplane movie - suddenly proper and courteous and almost creepily put-together. Off the plane and boom, they're 4 & 5 again. It's the strangest thing.
I have a couple of grandkids like this. They don't want to sit with the family, nor do they want to sit with each other :).

Since they were about 7 or 8 they have marched onto the plane with their little backpacks, each pick their own seats, pull out their electronic gizmos, plug in their headphones and act like professional travelers until they exit the plane. It's uncanny.

Other passengers have complimented us on what well behaved kids we have and we just smile and say thanks, knowing that as soon we leave the airport, our typical squabbling siblings will return.

I do find it strange that the airlines don't make more of an accommodation for these situations. There must be a way to code the system that assigns seating to look at birthdates and assign seats to a young child next to at least one adult, or don't allow the transaction to go through. So while not technically picking specific seats, it would allow for two together.

OP doesn't want their three year old sitting alone. Understandable. But lets say a parent books the seats the same way, and gets three rows in a line, middle seat. Let's say the parent thinks their three year old is very mature for their age and will have no problem sitting on their own in between two strangers.

Is it then fair for the two strangers to have a toddler between them? Mom and dad aren't going to be within easy eyesight of their child the entire time from their seat. So whose responsibility is it when kiddo decides to eat the crayons mom gave them or lose their shoe while the seatbelt sign is on and have a meltdown? I don't want to have to move from an aisle or window seat I paid more for, but I don't want to feel like I need to be keeping an eye on someone else's child simply because their parents were able to book separate seats cheaper.

I have a couple of grandkids like this. They don't want to sit with the family, nor do they want to sit with each other :).

Since they were about 7 or 8 they have marched onto the plane with their little backpacks, each pick their own seats, pull out their electronic gizmos, plug in their headphones and act like professional travelers until they exit the plane. It's uncanny.

Other passengers have complimented us on what well behaved kids we have and we just smile and say thanks, knowing that as soon we leave the airport, our typical squabbling siblings will return.

While kids of 7 or 8 may be able to behave on a plane under normal conditions, the real question is how they will behave if an emergency occurs. Would they function as such mini adults in that situation? Or should they have the direction of a parent they know and trust and pretty much have an instinct to follow blindly telling them what to do? I hate to be morbid, but do you really want to be in a different row from your child in that case? And do you want to be the adult sitting next to a child who is separated from their parent?

Call me a dreamer, but I just don't think some things in life should be monetized. I think we as a society should strive to be better than that.

Last edited:
While kids of 7 or 8 may be able to behave on a plane under normal conditions, the real question is how they will behave if an emergency occurs. Would they function as such mini adults in that situation? Or should they have the direction of a parent they know and trust and pretty much have an instinct to follow blindly telling them what to do? I hate to be morbid, but do you really want to be in a different row from your child in that case?
The few times I have been on an airplane when an emergency occurs, it has been my experience that most adults don't know what to do. The adults await instructions from the flight crew.

As far as the kids go, we watch them watch the safety briefing, while we watch the safety briefing given by the flight attendant prior to take off. We have reviewed the rules on the oxygen masks falling from the ceiling, your seat operates as a flotation device and locate your nearest exit as soon as you are seated. And we always leave our seat belts on while the plane is in the air, even when the seatbelt sign goes off. Always count the number of rows of seat backs between your seat and the nearest exit, etc., etc.

It may be less fearful for me because I grew up in the military and spent a lot of time on both military and civilian aircraft. When I was 5 years old I was on a civilian plane that was forced to make an emergency landing due to faulty landing gear. We had to exit the plane from the rear exit via an inflatable slide onto a foam covered jetway. During the emergency evacuation I had become seperated from my family, but I was not afraid because the flight attendants did an excellent job telling the passengers exactly what to do. Plus I was young enough to think that jumping from the plane with my legs straight out onto a bouncy slide into a foamy mess was a great time! It wasn't until years later that I discovered how serious the situation had actually been.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter where my very mature, travel experienced kids and grandkids are seated. I always place my faith in God and my trust in the professionals on the aircraft.

Flight personnel are very well trained to deal with frightened passengers of any age during emergency situations. That is their job and they take it pretty damn seriously.

Everyone has to make their own choices based on the best needs of their family. Not to be morbid, but you never know what the future holds. Someday your child may have to fly as an unaccompanied minor. You will want them to feel confident that they will be fine in case of an emergency.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter where my very mature, travel experienced kids and grandkids are seated. I always place my faith in God and my trust in the professionals on the aircraft

Everyone has to make their own choices based on the best needs of their family. Not to be morbid, but you never know what the future holds. Someday your child may have to fly as an unaccompanied minor. You will want them to feel confident that they will be fine in case of an emergency.

My child has flown several times an unaccompanied minor, but in those cases I knew there was at least a highly trained adult specifically appointed to look after her. But given the recent story about an unaccompanied minor being sexually assaulted on a flight (and the many other similar stories you can find once you go looking unfortunately), I honestly don't know that I would do it today.

Also, not all kids are the same. My daughter is more introverted and the type to become scared motionless. Maybe your kids aren't. But some kids are. It's not just about "instilling confidence" or not - its just who they are. She will follow me through fire if told to in such a situation but I don't know that another adult would have the same effect with her. And what if it's not just an emergency - but the worst sort of experience, where a plane is actually lost? I want to be next to my daughter in that case, whether she's "confident" or not. Is it a one in a million - maybe even a billion or more - chance? Yup. But is it enough for me to think parents should get to sit with their kids, and we shouldn't make it a profit center? Yup.

And finally, I like to stack the deck and give God a hand. After all, God doesn't make planes, man does. And we need to be responsible with the safety of the individuals put on those planes.

Last edited:

And finally, I like to stack the deck and give God a hand. After all, God doesn't make planes, man does. And we need to be responsible with the safety of the individuals put on those planes.

Be responsible? You mean like the parents doing what they need to do (including paying for seats) so that your child is sitting beside you? Yup, totally agree.

Last edited:
Is it then fair for the two strangers to have a toddler between them? Mom and dad aren't going to be within easy eyesight of their child the entire time from their seat. So whose responsibility is it when kiddo decides to eat the crayons mom gave them or lose their shoe while the seatbelt sign is on and have a meltdown? I don't want to have to move from an aisle or window seat I paid more for, but I don't want to feel like I need to be keeping an eye on someone else's child simply because their parents were able to book separate seats cheaper.

Is it fair that you occasionally end up next to someone who spills over into your seat? Or someone whose halitosis is frightening. Or someone who gets on slightly drunk and then drinks more? Or someone who falls asleep and drools on your shoulder?

People in a window or aisle who end up with a strange 3 year old next to them have no issue trading seats into a middle without the child. That they don't always choose that lets you know what they think is unfair.

When my daughter was 3 she was still flying in her car seat- we always taught her the plane was like a car- you don't get out of your seat or unbuckle when a car is in motion so you don't when a plane is in motion. Car seats can only be put at the end by the window so there is no way they could have booked her at 3 into a middle seat.
If I was in a window or an aisle seat and there was a child next to me I would rather sit next to that child and entertain them than move to a middle seat- I would wait for the next flight rather than sitting in the middle seat, that is how strongly I feel about that middle seat LOL. When my daughter was in the car seat by the window I would buy the 3 seats even if it was just the two of us to avoid that dreaded middle seat!

My point is that you learned something from one experience and changed your future behavior. No one is throwing a tantrum, and it's not about the reaction to the situation.

It's not fair to expect other people to anticipate all the consequences without first having experience with those consequences, while you are relying on experience for your own decisions. Particularly when it's a new airline policy. I'm sure that in a few years, the disadvantages of Delta's policy will become common knowledge (if it isn't totally wiped out by the FAA).

My point is when it was a "must sit together" we booked flights with seat assignments and picked our seats together. :) I don't see how I can make that any clearer to you.

I think one thing people don't realize is that others pay for their seat assignments for various reasons. You cannot reasonably look at an adult and assume they should move for your family as they may have booked their seat for a specific reason (I try to get aisle or window as I have gotten sick on a plane and I think people appreciate me having my space rather than being stuck in the middle when this happens). I recently swapped flights and paid 90 more a seat on one flight for those extra legroom seats so my husband and I were not split up as its a long flight and I'm pregnant so it helps to have him nearby in case I don't feel well or need a hand reaching for things. I can assure you that after paying 180 for our seats we will not be moving for anyone. Likewise we got the last two seats together on our flight back without paying a fee but by taking a late flight (which I imagine may have more stand by and last minute passengers), so again there were a lot of random seats left scattered but I am sitting second to last row just to avoid them. My mother has terrible flying anxiety and gets nervous on a two hour flight, so while I could be split up from her, she could not be split up from me to accomodate anyone.

While I think its crappy that this happens, flying is often a luxury, especially when going on vacation. That means you either pay up for what you want or put up with what you get when you pay the lowest fare. From the airlines point of view they are not going to invest the money in upgrading their system to prevent people from booking scattered seats if it involves children unless it becomes some sort of issue that costs so much they need this to alievate the issue. Gate delays cost money and when push comes to shove if you refuse to sit in an assigned seat I think they may be more likely to ask you to leave the plane than wait around for other people who are buckled in to voluntarily get up and shuffle around.

Last edited:
I understand the op concerns. However, this is why I pay extra for my seats even with my teens. I want to sit together therefore I choose to pay more. When you buy on a second party seller you get what you pay for. Asking others to move is an option and maybe someone will move but to expect people to move and more than one to move is a lot to ask. Now if you purchased tickets together and then they changed the plane size well in my opinion that is different. Discount tickets come with restrictions that you agree to. You can always pay for an upgrade at the counter but that defeats the discount tickets. I don't believe this should be put on Delta. If you read the post she did not book through Delta. Take it up with the second party seller if anything

Last edited:
Are you saying you think it's absurd that airlines need to cater to the flying majority seeking the lowest price, while still trying to operate as profitable entities with responsibility to their respective stockholders?

It is absurd that they Nickle and dime their customers.

In what universe would any rational adult roll the dice on sitting next to their 3 year old on a plane? If you want to make sure your young child isn't sitting next to an ax murderer, then actually take steps to prevent that. It amazes me that people care so deeply about the safety of their children that they'll make a huge stink over seat assignments at the gate and expect everyone else to make allowance but care so LITTLE about the safety of their children that they won't pay the extra $40 or whatever it costs to guarantee it.

I booked a Delta flight a few years ago to attend my uncle's funeral. I was flying with my youngest daughter who was 4 or 5 at the time. Obviously, since we were going to a funeral, I had to book very last minute. Our tickets did include seat assignments; however, because we were booking so last minute, we were assigned seats that weren't anywhere near each other. I called the airline to see what, if anything, could be done and they told me that they try to be sure that children under 6 are seated beside a parent. They also told me that they generally have a few seats held back for situations like mine. I don't know if that's accurate or not but my daughter and I were re-assigned to adjoining seats in the very last row of the plane. Those seats don't recline and are not generally highly sought after seats so I guess they could have been unsold or maybe they were reserved for circumstances like mine. I don't know. I was just happy to be seated beside my daughter.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter