Helping picking a resort

RKT15

Earning My Ears
Hi! We're going to Disney for the first time at the end of August, 2017, right before Labor Day. Kids are 7 and 9, older one wants to do everything Star Wars, younger one is into Frozen. The Epcot Food and Wine Festival starts August 31, which is a big draw for me.

My husband has been pushing for the Contemporary because of how close it is to Magic Kingdom, but I am beginning to think that we should opt for a hotel in the Epcot area, because of what we want to do. I also kind of love the idea of being on the boardwalk, and being able to walk around at night.

Cost is obviously a concern--as is the fact that I am getting used to the idea of us sharing a room for 5 nights! I am really torn about booking a room now vs waiting until the discounts for late August are released some time in April.

So, questions:
1) Tell me about the Epcot area. Do people really walk to the parks? What are the advantages/disadvantages of the different parks?
2) What is CBR like? It seems like it might be a good option for us? Can you walk from CBR to the boardwalk easily?
3) Am I totally insane to wait until late April to book? Should I book CBR now, and see if the prices on the Deluxes in the Epcot area will come down in 4 months? I have no idea what availability has typically looked like. My heart tells me that we'd be really happy at the Boardwalk Inn, but the price is just too much right now.

Thanks!

1. People do walk all the time! You can also do the boats
2. I don't think there's a walking path between CBR and the boardwalk, not 100% sure though

Hi! We're going to Disney for the first time at the end of August, 2017, right before Labor Day. Kids are 7 and 9, older one wants to do everything Star Wars, younger one is into Frozen. The Epcot Food and Wine Festival starts August 31, which is a big draw for me.

My husband has been pushing for the Contemporary because of how close it is to Magic Kingdom, but I am beginning to think that we should opt for a hotel in the Epcot area, because of what we want to do. I also kind of love the idea of being on the boardwalk, and being able to walk around at night.

Cost is obviously a concern--as is the fact that I am getting used to the idea of us sharing a room for 5 nights! I am really torn about booking a room now vs waiting until the discounts for late August are released some time in April.

So, questions:
1) Tell me about the Epcot area. Do people really walk to the parks? What are the advantages/disadvantages of the different parks?
2) What is CBR like? It seems like it might be a good option for us? Can you walk from CBR to the boardwalk easily?
3) Am I totally insane to wait until late April to book? Should I book CBR now, and see if the prices on the Deluxes in the Epcot area will come down in 4 months? I have no idea what availability has typically looked like. My heart tells me that we'd be really happy at the Boardwalk Inn, but the price is just too much right now.

Thanks!

1) Yes, people really walk to the parks from the EP resorts. BC is right next to EP and Boardwalk is pretty darn close (literally a 5 minute walk). If your focus is DHS and EP, Boardwalk is awesome as it's closer to DHS than BC/YC. It's a stroll - maybe 15 minutes (and it will be hot in August), but if you do it in the morning and evening, it's fine. You will also have boat access to DHS if you don't want to do the walk. We typically walk it (we usually stay at BWI or BWV) and sometimes get off the boat at Swan/Dolphin (which is the first stop) and then walk next door to the Boardwalk.

2) There is no way to walk from CBR to the Boardwalk.

3) I would check out the August thread in the Discount section of the Resorts forum right here on the DIS. People there will have some good ideas on how you might be able to book with a discount now for your travel dates.

BWI's rooms are big and comfortable IMHO. I know cost is a factor, but you may also want to look into 1-bedroom villas at BWV and BCV if there is availability. Those villas would offer you a bedroom and a separate living room with a pullout for the kids so you would have some separate space. They also have a full kitchen and washer/dryer in the unit.

If your focus is on Star Wars and Frozen, I would definitely recommend staying at an EP resort.

The Epcot resorts aren't quite as close to DHS. You'll still be waiting for transportation to the park, or taking what can be a 15 (BW) to 25 minute (BC) walk in weather that (I'll say it like I always do) will feel like a sauna on the surface of the sun in August. If these two parks are your main interest, I would suggest Coronado Springs Resort. The bus rides to both Epcot and DHS once leaving the resort are about five minutes, MK is 10, and it's in a similar price tier to CBR since both are moderates. You won't have the Boardwalk but you will have an easy bus ride to the much larger and more engaging Disney Springs (which you will also have from CBR.)

Epcot and DHS from the MK resorts are a time-sucky pain. From CR, you'll have to wait on two seperate monorails to get to Epcot, or suffer through shared bus service to DHS.

I'll go further on CBR: You cannot walk anywhere from CBR.

FWIW, the shared bus service to DHS from the Poly was not at all bad when I was there during a high-crowd period in October. I think CR shares with Wilderness Lodge, though, so I suppose that might be more of a nuisance than the Poly-GF share, which is pretty close and easy.

I agree with @_auroraborealis_ - you can not walk anywhere from CBR.
I also agree with @Marthasor If Star Wars and Frozen are your focus the Epcot Resorts area is where you want to be.
I disagree with @mikedoyleblogger about walking to DHS and EP. They are easy, shaded walks along the canal and we do them all the time. But the really nice thing is if you are hot or tired, you do have the option of taking a Friendship boat from both parks to the resorts.
Enjoy

I agree with Epcot resorts being a good location for getting to both DHS and Epcot easily, but as you mentioned price goes up for that convenience. CSR is a good fit as well, as PP suggested, as it is a quick bus ride to both of those, as well as AK. It has a cool themed pool with a pyramid, and a very fast water slide my kids love. It is a more affordable option, giving you more money for other fun things on your trip, like build-your-own lightsaber station in DHS!

I agree with @_auroraborealis_ - you can not walk anywhere from CBR.
I also agree with @Marthasor If Star Wars and Frozen are your focus the Epcot Resorts area is where you want to be.
I disagree with @mikedoyleblogger about walking to DHS and EP. They are easy, shaded walks along the canal and we do them all the time. But the really nice thing is if you are hot or tired, you do have the option of taking a Friendship boat from both parks to the resorts.
Enjoy

Neither walk is shaded. Trees next to the pathway beyond BWI provide shade at certain times of day, but there is plenty of time both walks will be in direct, unshaded August sunlight. The AC on the friendship boats does very little, too, when it's the height of summer.

Neither walk is shaded. Trees next to the pathway beyond BWI provide shade at certain times of day, but there is plenty of time both walks will be in direct, unshaded August sunlight. The AC on the friendship boats does very little, too, when it's the height of summer.

I agree. Walking between HS and Epcot in August is :crazy2:.

Yeah, the heat in August is going to be a pain. But with our girls not back in school until after Labor Day, it seemed like a good idea to try to go at a less crowded time.

I agree with Epcot resorts being a good location for getting to both DHS and Epcot easily, but as you mentioned price goes up for that convenience. CSR is a good fit as well, as PP suggested, as it is a quick bus ride to both of those, as well as AK. It has a cool themed pool with a pyramid, and a very fast water slide my kids love. It is a more affordable option, giving you more money for other fun things on your trip, like build-your-own lightsaber station in DHS!
Thanks! I am feeling a little overwhelmed. I assume because of the August heat, we're going to want the option of going early to a park, coming back to the resort for the afternoon, and then going out again, but worried that all the back and forth will take forever.

Thanks! I am feeling a little overwhelmed. I assume because of the August heat, we're going to want the option of going early to a park, coming back to the resort for the afternoon, and then going out again, but worried that all the back and forth will take forever.

Yes, I know what you mean. We also went in late Aug. when our kids were that age. Unfortunately no matter where you stay, there will some travel time to each park, so you will have to weigh it all out. Even staying at Epcot resorts, when you want to do Future World where most of the rides are, you will have to walk across the park to the other side(and back for breaks!), since you will enter into World Showcase area, as opposed to getting dropped in front by bus from other resorts. Of course, you can walk into World Showcase for Food and Wine, which is new for this time of year, so not usually a factor in August decisions!

Basically, you really can't go wrong, as you will have some travel time everywhere, but I think Epcot area and CSR might be best bets. If you haven't yet, look at the threads on here in the Resort Forum for each of the resorts you are considering to get a good overview. Also there are days you may want to stay in the parks and not run back and forth, and you can use places in the parks for a break. Like scheduling lunch reservation to sit down during heat of the day(or grabbing QS meal), hop out of the park for a meal or resort hopping, like from MK to monorail resorts or to Wilderness Lodge on the boat, planning schedule/FP for shows and indoor rides during that time, and grabbing a Mickey ice cream bar, Dole Whip, or frozen lemonade in a shady spot. It was not nearly as bad as we had expected, but we did use morning EMH or Rope Drop to get a lot done early before lines get long, did afternoon beak or rides like Philharmagic and Monsters Inc in the air conditioning, and then enjoy evening fireworks. Don't forget to pack disposable rain ponchos for pop up storms and light jackets for cool mornings or air conditioned restaurants.

Basically, you really can't go wrong, as you will have some travel time everywhere, but I think Epcot area and CSR might be best bets. If you haven't yet, look at the threads on here in the Resort Forum for each of the resorts you are considering to get a good overview. Also there are days you may want to stay in the parks and not run back and forth, and you can use places in the parks for a break. Like scheduling lunch reservation to sit down during heat of the day(or grabbing QS meal), hop out of the park for a meal or resort hopping, like from MK to monorail resorts or to Wilderness Lodge on the boat, planning schedule/FP for shows and indoor rides during that time, and grabbing a Mickey ice cream bar, Dole Whip, or frozen lemonade in a shady spot. It was not nearly as bad as we had expected, but we did use morning EMH or Rope Drop to get a lot done early before lines get long, did afternoon beak or rides like Philharmagic and Monsters Inc in the air conditioning, and then enjoy evening fireworks. Don't forget to pack disposable rain ponchos for pop up storms and light jackets for cool mornings or air conditioned restaurants.

See, this is what makes me think I have a lot to learn! Do you recommend any of the tour planning sites? I have no idea how long each ride takes, how to play out our days, when to make advanced reservations for food, etc? People resort hop for the restaurants? The pools? The different dinner shows?

See, this is what happens when the family member who is best at vacation planning but knows the least about Disney plans things....

The Unofficial Guide is a great start with info. on all aspects of your trip. It a huge book, but written in a fun, sarcastic way, with their reviews and people's as well. It describes each hotel, ride, and restaurant. It was my Bible for our 1st trip! You can buy the newest one on Amazon, etc or get one at your local library(older editions are basically the same without the newest attractions). The same people run the Touring Plans site which you can subscribe to for a fee. Mousesavers and Allears.net are also great resources.

We always stay at the Epcot resorts, Epcot and HS are our favorite parks and yes we walk between the two all the time. As a matter of fact we have been known to walk to HS to catch a bus there to go to another resort for a meal. I've timed it walking from HS to Epcot and have beat the boat and that was just walking easy. My son has permanent nerve damage in his spinal cord and even he thinks it's an easy walk. You might also want to look into Dolphin and Swan. They aren't officially Disney resorts but are on property and do share the buses and you can ship packages back to them from the parks. Sometimes they can be less than a Disney moderate, you just have to pay attention to the add ons.

Thank you! I've spent some time on mousesavers, but didn't know about the Unofficial Guide. There is so much to think about. I feel like I need to have it nailed down in the next 6 weeks, we're going the last week of August and I want to be able to make restaurant reservations.

It is good to do it at 180 days - if you have on-site reservation you can make them for up to 10 days of a trip on the first day you are eligible. You can always make one shortly before that date and can change it later as needed. You only have to put down $200 for a package, and then can modify if needed, and even cancel, and it is totally refundable.

Yes, that's what I am hearing a lot, especially for the character meals. I thought that was just hype but friends of mine said they weren't able to do one because they waited to book their meals.

We have gone the last week of August every year for the past 6 years and will be there again this year. We almost exclusively stay at an EP resort (I prefer BWI and BWV, but BC and BCV come in a close second) because EP is my favorite park and it's just so convenient to pop in there at night to get dinner or just go for a walk. Yes, August is HOT. Our typical day is getting to the parks early (walking to DHS in the morning is fine in August, but we boat back to the resort after lunch), eating lunch and typically leaving no later than 2 pm, because it gets pretty hot as the day goes on. We then swim and relax at the resort and go back out when the sun starts going down.

The back and forth doesn't have to take forever. Yes, staying at a deluxe resort will cut down on travel time. I would recommend booking something before your 180 ADR window opens. You could book a package and put down a $200 deposit or even do a room-only at a mod or value just to keep that initial deposit low. Book your ADR's and then really hammer out where you want to stay and what your park days look like. If you will spend more time in MK, I would consider an MK resort (keeping in mind you can walk to TTC to hop on the EP monorail, so that cuts down some transportation time down right there). If you will spend more time in DHS and EP, consider an EP resort. As another PP mentioned, take a look at the Resort Discount forum for the August discount watch thread to see if there any discounts out know with any agencies or even a third-party travel site. Also, note, uber is available at the resorts and parks for very little cost which can make transportation even easier at a fairly nominal cost (it's about $5 - $7 dollars per trip on WDW property depending on where you are going). We were just down before Christmas week and we used uber a few times. It was easy, cheap and really convenient.

If you decide on a mod, uber would be really helpful to eliminate some of those bus waits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!