• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Help the Yankee DISer" Part II-visit Australia/DL-the PTR(8/19 -TR Link Post#263!)

Yes 'cheques' skier_pete. You are clearly ready for your Australian adventure!

Nearly into single digits.

Multiple cheques are always a good thing. :thumbsup2

I need my cheques to pay for my car hire. Good thing when I get there I'll be the one that talks funny.

I was joking with DW that since we are from New York I should go around talking like I am from "Noo Yawk"...you know...the typical Goodfellas/Sopranos Noo Joisey accent. "Hey...fuhgetabou it! Yoo don wanna gim me a ride to the aipot. My little pal heer in ma pocket will have sommin' to say about dat. Aise gonna wack ya, ya dum mug!"

...or maybe not.

I need my cheques to pay for my car hire. Good thing when I get there I'll be the one that talks funny.

I was joking with DW that since we are from New York I should go around talking like I am from "Noo Yawk"...you know...the typical Goodfellas/Sopranos Noo Joisey accent. "Hey...fuhgetabou it! Yoo don wanna gim me a ride to the aipot. My little pal heer in ma pocket will have sommin' to say about dat. Aise gonna wack ya, ya dum mug!"

...or maybe not.

Is this one of those truth or (double) dare moments? :scratchin

...we will be driving from Airlie Beach to Eungella Natl Park (about 2.5 hours) for a little taste of the hinterlands and possibly to see wild Platypuses...

Even money says that I make at least 10 "Hey, where's Perry?" jokes. (with the occasional "Curse you Perry the Platypus!" thrown in.)

images

Even money says your DD or DW will call you Doofenshmirtz!

...or maybe not.

mmmm.... maybe not! We speak 'strine ere! :rolleyes2

Belated congrats on the promotion. Hope our rain goes away for you-it keeps raining-in July-in Qld - this is not normal, and heavy all the way up the coast from Brissie to Townsville but we have a couple of weeks left yet for the troughs and humidity to clear. Everything at home is going mouldy again and every surface is damp-yuck!

images

Even money says your DD or DW will call you Doofenshmirtz!

Hah, I do a pretty mean Doofenshmirz accent. I was playing in the pool with DD and some of her friends the other day, and I was pretending to be Dr. Doofenshmirtz and they were all Perry. They had a blast with it.

(Also, my middle name is the same as Dr. Doofenshmirtz first name! I'll leave it to you to figure out what it is.)

Belated congrats on the promotion. Hope our rain goes away for you-it keeps raining-in July-in Qld - this is not normal, and heavy all the way up the coast from Brissie to Townsville but we have a couple of weeks left yet for the troughs and humidity to clear. Everything at home is going mouldy again and every surface is damp-yuck!

I'm trying not to be too concerned about the weather. It sort of is what it is...we can neither control it nor change what we have planned. If its rainy, we wear our rain coats.

...we leave eungella for Macay and a 10:30 AM flight to Brisbane. We then drive up into the Glass Mountains to our overnight locale, and perhaps do a little nature hike / bush walk.

Hah, I do a pretty mean Doofenshmirz accent. I was playing in the pool with DD and some of her friends the other day, and I was pretending to be Dr. Doofenshmirtz and they were all Perry. They had a blast with it.

(Also, my middle name is the same as Dr. Doofenshmirtz first name! I'll leave it to you to figure out what it is.)

When you do get downunder and go to a supermarket, just remember....

Heinz meanz Beanz!

ps. It's been a little wet in Melbourne too.

....we leave Australia.

OK - I missed several days again, the time where we go to the Australia Zoo and then head back to Brisbane before heading out on a plane to Sydney.

The 16th will be a very long day, as we get up early from our hotel by the Sydney airport to fly out from Sydney to LA. This flight has us landing in LA at 6:30 AM. We actually have a hotel booked for the night before, so we can roll in and get some sleep. My plan is to try and limit it to 4-5 hour nap, and then roll out of bed and perhaps go to the beach or a little sightseeing.

The trip is now 5 days away...we packed our main suitcases over the weekend, and were able to get away without shipping our winter jackets. It's 3 heavy bags to lug around for 4 months, but don't see as we have a choice.

We've had moderate success with shifting our times. DD has been staying up until 10 PM, and has been sleeping in until 8 AM. We can't really go further than that just yet, but I feel like Thursday and Friday we may go a little later. I've been trying to get DW to stay up until midnight, but she has been unable to sleep in past 6 AM. I've had slightly more success, staying up until midnight I woke up at 6:40 AM this morning, so rather a moderate time-shift for me. Again, we'll we wanting to be up at 6 AM in LA on Sunday, so getting DD shifted by 2 hours is actually pretty good.

Everyone is asking me if I'm excited. I am I guess, but I the main emotion feels to be "distracted". I can't really focus at work, as I keep going over everything in my head and making sure I have everything I need.

I am honestly a bit nervous too. I consider myself a "world traveler" but its been so long since I've done a real "world" trip that I feel very out of my comfort zone. I think once this grand adventure starts, we will be enjoying ourselves and thrilling to it. I just doesn't feel like It's really almost here.

Its gonna be awesome -

Sydney at the moment has been absolutely perfect - you will think "this is what they call winter" hopefully it stays that way for you. :thumbsup2

....we leave Australia.

OK - I missed several days again, the time where we go to the Australia Zoo and then head back to Brisbane before heading out on a plane to Sydney.

The 16th will be a very long day, as we get up early from our hotel by the Sydney airport to fly out from Sydney to LA. This flight has us landing in LA at 6:30 AM. We actually have a hotel booked for the night before, so we can roll in and get some sleep. My plan is to try and limit it to 4-5 hour nap, and then roll out of bed and perhaps go to the beach or a little sightseeing.

The trip is now 5 days away...we packed our main suitcases over the weekend, and were able to get away without shipping our winter jackets. It's 3 heavy bags to lug around for 4 months, but don't see as we have a choice.

We've had moderate success with shifting our times. DD has been staying up until 10 PM, and has been sleeping in until 8 AM. We can't really go further than that just yet, but I feel like Thursday and Friday we may go a little later. I've been trying to get DW to stay up until midnight, but she has been unable to sleep in past 6 AM. I've had slightly more success, staying up until midnight I woke up at 6:40 AM this morning, so rather a moderate time-shift for me. Again, we'll we wanting to be up at 6 AM in LA on Sunday, so getting DD shifted by 2 hours is actually pretty good.

Everyone is asking me if I'm excited. I am I guess, but I the main emotion feels to be "distracted". I can't really focus at work, as I keep going over everything in my head and making sure I have everything I need.

I am honestly a bit nervous too. I consider myself a "world traveler" but its been so long since I've done a real "world" trip that I feel very out of my comfort zone. I think once this grand adventure starts, we will be enjoying ourselves and thrilling to it. I just doesn't feel like It's really almost here.

You're much better off using your hotel room to shower, then heading out and doing something in daylight until you really can't stay up any more. Napping is deadly for jet lag, you'll feel much better if you get some natural light and stay awake til early evening.

Battymum is right. Sydney weather has been absolutely gorgeous! Hopefully it’ll stay the same until July. I remember you mentioned visiting a local beach? And if you’re looking for places to visit on Sunday using the public transport special, I was going to suggest doing the Coogee to Bondi walk. You might even find it warm enough for a paddle! We did the walk recently with our three children (youngest is aged 3) so it isn’t too strenuous. We started at Coogee and headed to Bondi as we wanted to have lunch at Bondi but it doesn’t really matter where you start.

Here is a link to the walk and to my blog of our recent walk:
http://bonditocoogeewalk.com.au/
http://deliriouslydemented.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/coogee-to-bondi.html

Oh and belated congratulations on the promotion!

....we leave Australia.

Enjoy the feeling of anticipation. I can't believe that our families will be meeting in 3D in just under 2 weeks.
Feels like you and I have been friends-in-a-box for....the last 2 years! ;)

Enjoy the feeling of anticipation. I can't believe that our families will be meeting in 3D in just under 2 weeks.
Feels like you and I have been friends-in-a-box for....the last 2 years! ;)

I know, I think about as a kid we would get "pen-pals", kids from other countries that we somehow got their address and would write awkward letters back and forth.

This is WAY better than "pen-pals"! :goodvibes

....our trip will be at an end....:worried::confused::eek::sad2:

...but it is NOT one month from today...it is today.

So instead, we have just 3 days until we leave on our
Epic Adventure (Patent Pending)

Many things left to do, but I think it's all under control. I wish I could post about the trip as it was happening, but that's unlikely.

I'll probably update once or twice more, and I'll come back when the TR is started. (The TR will probably slot in with all the DL ones.)

Thank you so so much to all the wonderful Aussies that helped me out with planning this trip. I think we will have a much more interested and exciting trip for your help. I hope you all choose to follow along with the TR as well.

I find it hard to believe less than four days we'll be in Disneyland, and in 7 we'll be in Sydney. :banana::woohoo::yay::dance3:

:cool1::cool1:

Be sure to have at least one meat pie and lamington while you are here! If you are a beer drinker - noone drinks Fosters!

Make sure to come back here and put a link to your TR - I never read the rest of the boards!

Have a safe trip - and may the force be with you!

:cool1::cool1:

Be sure to have at least one meat pie and lamington while you are here! If you are a beer drinker - noone drinks Fosters!

Make sure to come back here and put a link to your TR - I never read the rest of the boards!

Have a safe trip - and may the force be with you!

Hah...we were just having a conversation about beer in Australia. Amongst my fellow engineers everyone seemed to know Fosters was shiite. My wife loves Lamington and is very much looking forward to it. No mention of meat pie.

And thank you for the well-wishes! :chewy::darth:

I will definitely put up a link at the end of the trip. Usually I start the TR before leaving for a trip, but because we are going to be gone so long I didn't want to start it and leave it dead for a month, so as I can I will post trip updates here.

Hah...we were just having a conversation about beer in Australia. Amongst my fellow engineers everyone seemed to know Fosters was shiite. My wife loves Lamington and is very much looking forward to it. No mention of meat pie.

And thank you for the well-wishes! :chewy::darth:

I will definitely put up a link at the end of the trip. Usually I start the TR before leaving for a trip, but because we are going to be gone so long I didn't want to start it and leave it dead for a month, so as I can I will post trip updates here.

We should make you a list of things to try while you're here!

My contribution is Cadbury marvellous creations jelly popping candy beanies chocolate, you haven't lived until you've had this! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter