• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HELP! Should I go... should I GO?

Ok I’m going to be the devil on one shoulder when everybody else is the angel.
I've seen threads were posters will advocate for that Disney trip that IRL would largely be considered irresponsible but it's nice to see a different track being taken here.

If the goal is "kids grow up so fast" there's plenty of ways to bond and not put yourself in bad debt like that to do that, it doesn't help the kid later on when they are wondering why mom can't afford the sneakers or why they can't eat out for dinner to use your examples of scrimping later on to make up for it.

OP wants to get out of the house, spend some time outside of the screens with her kid and that does not mean must go to Disney just because you have APs.

So many other ways to have fun and look at the ideas pouring in. Don't underestimate the memories that can be made by doing something else :)

I've seen threads were posters will advocate for that Disney trip that IRL would largely be considered irresponsible but it's nice to see a different track being taken here.

If the goal is "kids grow up so fast" there's plenty of ways to bond and not put yourself in bad debt like that to do that, it doesn't help the kid later on when they are wondering why mom can't afford the sneakers or why they can't eat out for dinner to use your examples of scrimping later on to make up for it.

OP wants to get out of the house, spend some time outside of the screens with her kid and that does not mean must go to Disney just because you have APs.

So many other ways to have fun and look at the ideas pouring in. Don't underestimate the memories that can be made by doing something else :)

There’s many blanks. It would be one thing if the $300 or $600 was the last available credit, then absolutely not a good idea to take the trip.

If someone’s bills are square and they’re not already battling credit card debt, paying off $300 could be a relatively easy thing to do. Depends. If a budget already includes discretionary spending for occasional meals out and wardrobe replacements, it’s not too challenging to scale back there until the $300 is paid off.

Families can bond all kind of inexpensive local ways - some not even leaving the house to save calories and gas. There’s still time for that. A whole summer is here.

Kids change quickly. Every year so different. Catch all you can. If you have the discipline to charge $300, ability to pay it off within 2 months with only paying ~$3.27 interest, (not already drowning in debt oc), get to laugh your heads off on mom/daughter trip - do it if it feels special to you.

Could also be a good lesson. How to make things work by compromising. Seize the day.

There’s many blanks. It would be one thing if the $300 or $600 was the last available credit, then absolutely not a good idea to take the trip.

If someone’s bills are square and they’re not already battling credit card debt, paying off $300 could be a relatively easy thing to do. Depends. If a budget already includes discretionary spending for occasional meals out and wardrobe replacements, it’s not too challenging to scale back there until the $300 is paid off.

Families can bond all kind of inexpensive local ways - some not even leaving the house to save calories and gas. There’s still time for that. A whole summer is here.

Kids change quickly. Every year so different. Catch all you can. If you have the discipline to charge $300, ability to pay it off within 2 months with only paying ~$3.27 interest, (not already drowning in debt oc), get to laugh your heads off on mom/daughter trip - do it if it feels special to you.

Could also be a good lesson. How to make things work by compromising. Seize the day.
I think we're saying there's other things than just Disney and it sounds like the OP has the ability to go some other time than just now where her bank account can't take it. I'm not sure why you're hung up on her going nor do I get your compromise comment, the kid is 12. Either way no one is being an angel and I think there's been a lot of other good ideas floated around

I think we're saying there's other things than just Disney and it sounds like the OP has the ability to go some other time than just now where her bank account can't take it. I'm not sure why you're hung up on her going nor do I get your compromise comment, the kid is 12. Either way no one is being an angel and I think there's been a lot of other good ideas floated around
I added one comment because I have a different take on the situation. Between my own life and watching others I learned along the way these things are not always so black and white.

:laughing: Hung up would be picking out one comment to sit and debate with multiple times.

I added one comment because I have a different take on the situation. Between my own life and watching others I learned along the way these things are not always so black and white.

:laughing: Hung up would be picking out one comment to sit and debate with multiple times.
I meant you're making a lot of justifications including calcuating a proposed interest rate, for her going when multiple posters have given a wide variety of other options, I'd say that's being hung up over her going when much of what reasons you give can be accomplished with said other activities (bonding, mother/daughter time, laughing, fun, etc). Disney isn't going anywhere either :)

Groupon. Yes. Especially for bowling and those kinds of activities. Also saw someone mention museum passes at your local library. 100% yes to that.
My entire state (via the department of education) has a summer pass for free for families with kids pre-k through age 12 for museums, zoos, landmarks even some summer camps, theaters, art places, library stuff, nature places,etc in all 115 (not including the summer camps) located throughout the state. Maybe OP has something similar.

My entire state (via the department of education) has a summer pass for free for families with kids pre-k through age 12 for museums, zoos, landmarks even some summer camps, theaters, art places, library stuff, nature places,etc in all 115 (not including the summer camps) located throughout the state. Maybe OP has something similar.
Oh wow that sounds great! Yes the museum pass program from our library system is free but I also pay about $80 for a yearly state park pass which includes access to beaches and state parks and nature preserves etc. Best pass to buy even if it's only used in summer. I wish APs at Disney cost that much! Heck Genie+ will cost that much for just one day for the fam!

Ok I’m going to be the devil on one shoulder when everybody else is the angel.

The reason is kids. They grow so fast. Each year time passes quicker and quicker. For that I’d figure out a more manageable way to do something great. If you already have APs, then look for a really cheap room, and supplement QS with your own made deli sandwiches or whatever other inexpensive foods you like and can travel with.

Then you can both live wisely and to the fullest. If you can get that trip to $300 and have a plan to pay it over the next month or two - go for it. That may mean sacrifices later, like skipping that dinner out or those new sneakers. Stick with it.
This was my original thought. I can get an airbnb for 271 all in, 3 nights. That's pretty cheap (to me), without giving up safety and cockroaches and the ick. Gas would be 120, total (we live in Miami). Parking on site: free. I usually sacrifice and pack a meal, I let my daughter order QS but no sodas/drinks (we bring our own). This still adds up to around $50 a day. I think.
Give or take variables, I think I could have a 3 night/4 day vacation for $700, if I'm really careful, even less.
BUT.
It doesn't make up for the fact I'm in debt, and charging it AGAIN on a card.

I'm that person that looks like I have a lot of money but in a lot of debt. (and no, I don't go shopping or anything like that- well, except buying annual passes for 2 of us that I can't afford either and yet do it every year). I'm divorced and live outside my means. But I'm working on that. 2023 is the year I'm getting rid of all my debt!!

You are right. Mannnny blanks. I have a LOT of credit card debt. I've consolidated most of it onto one card, and for 21 months I get no interest. I've divided those months and debt into automatic payments so that no matter what, at the end of the 21 months it is paid off and no accrued interest. I do not use this cc at all, for anything more than paying off the original debt.

I have fallen into occasionally using the originally debt-holding card here and there, and starting building more debt onto there. I have since put that card away. It's always so tempting to pay with a card and earn points, rather than use my debit card and pay cash- and of course I'm the typical person who says: I'll pay it off later... and don't.

This all being said, I'm staying home.

I love Disney World. I've had a really hard time the past 2.5 years. Like, mentally REALLY challenging. Like, rock bottom. DW is my last bit of normalcy, where I'm literally happy again, and life feels brighter. I'm in my favorite place and feel joy again. So, I try to go as often as possible, so I can embrace what WDW positivity brings into my life.

I'll get there again. And hopefully be in a better financial position. No, I WILL BE IN A BETTER FINANCIAL POSITION. Let's goooooo 2023!

PS: we are seeing a matinee on Tuesday. Way less expensive!

This was my original thought. I can get an airbnb for 271 all in, 3 nights. That's pretty cheap (to me), without giving up safety and cockroaches and the ick. Gas would be 120, total (we live in Miami). Parking on site: free. I usually sacrifice and pack a meal, I let my daughter order QS but no sodas/drinks (we bring our own). This still adds up to around $50 a day. I think.
Give or take variables, I think I could have a 3 night/4 day vacation for $700, if I'm really careful, even less.
BUT.
It doesn't make up for the fact I'm in debt, and charging it AGAIN on a card.

I'm that person that looks like I have a lot of money but in a lot of debt. (and no, I don't go shopping or anything like that- well, except buying annual passes for 2 of us that I can't afford either and yet do it every year). I'm divorced and live outside my means. But I'm working on that. 2023 is the year I'm getting rid of all my debt!!
Goodluck with your goals in 2023. It is freeing to clear your debt and that should be the priority here. Then you could take advantage of situations like this in the future.

Oh wow that sounds great! Yes the museum pass program from our library system is free but I also pay about $80 for a yearly state park pass which includes access to beaches and state parks and nature preserves etc. Best pass to buy even if it's only used in summer. I wish APs at Disney cost that much! Heck Genie+ will cost that much for just one day for the fam!
Gosh you're not kidding with the AP/Genie+ especially with the update on Genie+ price for those with park hopping capabilities being variable by day :sad2:

I forget what our state park pass is but I know you can also add it when you're renewing your car tags.

There's a lot more I'm probably unaware you can do just in one's own backyard but it would be fun finding out :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter