• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HELP! Should I go... should I GO?

Goldilocks07

A rockin' mom and her sweet princess
I'm thinking of booking a VERY last minute YOLO trip with just myself and my daughter. I've never stayed off property but because we plan on going THIS Monday (I haven't even booked it yet!), I can't use my vacation club points. So, this means I'll stay in an Airbnb. I found a cute inexpensive one neat that Gaylord place - we always pass it on the way in, so I know it's super close to the resorts. It will cost me about $300. For three nights! And we can eat in the room, at least for breakfast. I have an annual pass, so tickets are "free". So would be parking on property. I don't know I I should pull the trigger!!!! Convince me!! I don't have the money to spend, but yet, my credit card says: charge me!!! The other option, is to stay home all week and yell at my daughter to get off her screens (she's 12). All I have to really worry about financially, is the room, $300, gas $120, food- we will eat QS the entire trip in the parks. I figure that will be about $80 per day, including snacks (though I usually bring stuff with me). I don't know what to do. My bank account says: You can afford to walk down your stairs. My brain says: if you stay you'll spend half that at least, trying to entertain her this whole week plus therapy from yelling.
HELLLLLP

Honestly, if my bank account was that empty, I wouldn't be taking a trip anywhere. Will you run into problems if the cost of food, gas, etc. is higher than you are planning for? Not sure where you are coming from, but gas can really add up if you are driving. Are there free or cheap things you can do close to home? Why not let your 12 year old research that and come up with ideas of where she wants to go?

Back in my day lol we just did things at home like mini golf, go to the movies, go bowling you know that kind of stuff with parents to get out of the house

If you're really needing to get your kid off the screens but want to get out of the house maybe try an activity like what I mentioned, it'll be much more manageable on your bank account. A theme park trip isn't always the answer especially if you're unable to cover the funds on the CC for it.

If you can pay off your credit card in full when It’s due, then okay, consider going.
If not, don’t go.

Back in my day lol we just did things at home like mini golf, go to the movies, go bowling you know that kind of stuff with parents to get out of the house

If you're really needing to get your kid off the screens but want to get out of the house maybe try an activity like what I mentioned, it'll be much more manageable on your bank account. A theme park trip isn't always the answer especially if you're unable to cover the funds on the CC for it.
Geocaching is free. Find a geaocache that's in the shade near you.

Definitely don’t go if you can’t afford to comfortably. I know you don’t want her on her screens but see what theaters are offering free summer movies. I used to take my kids to them every summer. What about a play date with a friend at your house? I’m all for YOLO but as long as it’s not going to set you back financially.

Sounds like your credit is going to tell you to get into debt

My advice? Hold off on the trip, sell the vacation points to be able to afford a trip, or just use them at a later date.

I'm thinking of booking a VERY last minute YOLO trip with just myself and my daughter. I've never stayed off property but because we plan on going THIS Monday (I haven't even booked it yet!), I can't use my vacation club points. So, this means I'll stay in an Airbnb. I found a cute inexpensive one neat that Gaylord place - we always pass it on the way in, so I know it's super close to the resorts. It will cost me about $300. For three nights! And we can eat in the room, at least for breakfast. I have an annual pass, so tickets are "free". So would be parking on property. I don't know I I should pull the trigger!!!! Convince me!! I don't have the money to spend, but yet, my credit card says: charge me!!! The other option, is to stay home all week and yell at my daughter to get off her screens (she's 12). All I have to really worry about financially, is the room, $300, gas $120, food- we will eat QS the entire trip in the parks. I figure that will be about $80 per day, including snacks (though I usually bring stuff with me). I don't know what to do. My bank account says: You can afford to walk down your stairs. My brain says: if you stay you'll spend half that at least, trying to entertain her this whole week plus therapy from yelling.
HELLLLLP
Omg...if you don't have the money for it, DO NOT GO. Think about what is best for you and your dd and show her how to. practice self discipline. I get self discipline and sacrificing fun can suck, but it's what responsible people do. You don't want your daughter living in debt all her life, so lead by example.

HELLLLLP

By your figures, your trip will cost at least $660. That you admit you don’t have. If you stay home, you’ll spend half that. Going into $330 of debt is better than going $660 into debt. But why do you need to “entertain” your 12 YO all week anyway? In your own home, while going hundreds into debt. And what happens after this week? Serious question.

Definitely don’t go if you can’t afford it. Non screen things to do: walks, board games, jig saw puzzle.

Hopefully you knew that probably 99% on here would tell you it was not a good idea and you just needed help getting there yourself...😄...at least subconsciously.
I am actually relieved.

I truly thought people would say DO IT. I'm surprised.
I guess I thought everyone lived on credit cards. And, I'm completely wrong.

Thank you everyone! I will not be taking a trip to Disney. I did look at things to do, and everything is so darn expensive. Even bowling. Ugh.

I am actually relieved.

I truly thought people would say DO IT. I'm surprised.

Thank you everyone! I will not be taking a trip to Disney. I did look at things to do, and everything is so darn expensive. Even bowling. Ugh.
That's great! !

My DD is almost 12. We spend a lot of time together and also have to try to find non-screen things.

1. Art projects together - and I'm not crafty. We mainly do competitions like drawing, air clay, etc. It's quite comical.
2. Read aloud. We pick fun, frivolous books.
3. Binge Netflix. Eat snacks. Wear jammies. DD told me the other day that the best part of her day is doing this with me.
4. Order delivery. Have a picnic.Talk about anything and everything. Indoors if the weather is too hot.
5. DD was supposed to be at camp this week. For a variety of reasons she was home. She asked to have camp at home and said she had more fun at Camp Mom. Do campy things like parks, hiking, etc
6. This is screentime, but https://outschool.com/ has some fun classes like art, gaming, social clubs, etc.
7. Go to the dollar store!
8. Makeovers!
9. Matinee at the movies
10. Check Groupon

Just some random ideas!

Ok I’m going to be the devil on one shoulder when everybody else is the angel.

The reason is kids. They grow so fast. Each year time passes quicker and quicker. For that I’d figure out a more manageable way to do something great. If you already have APs, then look for a really cheap room, and supplement QS with your own made deli sandwiches or whatever other inexpensive foods you like and can travel with.

Then you can both live wisely and to the fullest. If you can get that trip to $300 and have a plan to pay it over the next month or two - go for it. That may mean sacrifices later, like skipping that dinner out or those new sneakers. Stick with it.

I am actually relieved.

I truly thought people would say DO IT. I'm
surprised.

Seriously, this is the best decision. It’s a great model for your DD.

Check out your local library for low-cost resources. Ours has passes to a variety of local museums and has a variety of events for different age groups. Are there any interesting parks nearby? Any local rec centers or pools that are a reasonable cost? Any museums offering free days? Any businesses/factories that offer free tours? Maybe some volunteer opportunities you could do together? Our local food bank has first-time volunteers all the time. What about summer festivals? Our town is sponsoring free outdoor movie nights and neighborhood festivals all summer long. Any special events your DD might enjoy? I ran across a classic car show this morning just going to the bank.

So some ideas:

1. Go to a hobby lobby and buy craft making supplies. All the crafts at dvc community halls can be purchased at HL. It’s not free but is low cost and will provide hours of fun! Do one craft every day of the week.

2. Get an adventure book like treasure island and read it outloud to her— a few chapter a night. Sure she is old enough to read it herself but all people love it when people read to them. Have her “research” topics that come out of the book. Setting, themes, pirates etc.

3. Go to a regional water park or theme type park as a day trip. We do this for places that are 3-4 hours away sometimes. Leave super early in the morning and get back late. This is not cheap but still less expensive than Disney and paying for hotels!

4. Cook an “international” meal with her. Pick a country like France, watch a French related movie like ratatouille (keeping it Disney!), make her do some “research” on France. Things like have her look up and recreate a French flag (on paper lol) and explain to you why the flag looks as it does.

5. Be a tourist in your own city/state and do something really touristy that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.

Things like these might sound silly and sometimes kids complain and do not want to participate but just plow through. They always end up enjoying things like this!

Remember life is short and make the most of your time with your daughter. They grow up really quickly. When she is older she will remember the fun week you put together for her!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter