Healthy grab and go nibbles for the weekend, family size or just for two

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
I always try to make sure we start the weekend with some healthy grab and go snacks and nibbles & am looking for other ideas.

We are shifting towards keto-ish, in that some are avoiding carbs almost entirely while others are going keto light and still having rice, fresh fruit and veggies like potato in moderation.

If anyone has some suggestions for keto friendly noodle or pasta alternatives I'm all ears. I picked up some refrigerated Wegmans Shirataki and some Tofu Shirataki but have absolutely zero idea what it is I will find when I try to use it.

Today and for this weekend I'm making this with some modifications. There are some harsh truths about me s a cook and one is I can only stand for so long so if I can cut prep time it is going to happen, maybe it isn't perfect but I am not looking for a Michelin star ;)
This is going into a large glass lasagne pan to bake, I am not putting on the phyllo sheet by sheet, I made it before and the butter seeps through just fine.
I am going to split the batch of frozen Wegmans Phyllo dough into roughly halves, one for bottom with maybe 3 sections buttered, the spinach mix goes on this then the second half of phyllo goes on top with roughly 3 separate sections buttered.
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/weeknight-skillet-spinach-pie/

I always try to make sure we start the weekend with some healthy grab and go snacks and nibbles & am looking for other ideas.

We are shifting towards keto-ish, in that some are avoiding carbs almost entirely while others are going keto light and still having rice, fresh fruit and veggies like potato in moderation.

If anyone has some suggestions for keto friendly noodle or pasta alternatives I'm all ears. I picked up some refrigerated Wegmans Shirataki and some Tofu Shirataki but have absolutely zero idea what it is I will find when I try to use it.

Today and for this weekend I'm making this with some modifications. There are some harsh truths about me s a cook and one is I can only stand for so long so if I can cut prep time it is going to happen, maybe it isn't perfect but I am not looking for a Michelin star ;)
This is going into a large glass lasagne pan to bake, I am not putting on the phyllo sheet by sheet, I made it before and the butter seeps through just fine.
I am going to split the batch of frozen Wegmans Phyllo dough into roughly halves, one for bottom with maybe 3 sections buttered, the spinach mix goes on this then the second half of phyllo goes on top with roughly 3 separate sections buttered.
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/weeknight-skillet-spinach-pie/
I'm looking forward to the replies you receive. It appears we have similar physical limitations for similar reasons. I too can't stand for long to cook. It's too bad, because I used to love to cook.

Shirataki is often an acquired taste - it's rubbery and fishy (though much of the fishy can be taken care of by rinsing, rinsing, rinsing and rinsing again. Don't overcook it - it won't help.

Pasta subs - try noodles made of (just) eggs, zucchini (try a spiralizer - you don't want to cook these much, or they'll just turn to mush), spaghetti squash, deli meat like turkey (especially useful in something like lasagna). We like edamame spaghetti, but you'd have to look at the package, and see if it fits your diet.

If you like pasta salad, try it with zucchini noodles instead (raw): I cut up the usual things I put in my pasta salad... onion, green pepper, black olives, tomato and pepperoni, and mix it together with Italian dressing (I've been using Ken's Lite Northern Italian - flavorful and low in carbs) in a container. I spiralize zucchini and keep it in another container (as it tends to start getting weepy/limp when it sits in the dressing for a while). When it's time to eat, we mix the zucchini, the other ingredients, and a sprinkle of parmesan in just the amount we want. Everyone that's tried it has *really* liked it. Easy, too, after the original slicing/dicing.

If anyone has some suggestions for keto friendly noodle or pasta alternatives I'm all ears.
For the "keto light" folks in your group (because it does still have some carbs, just not as many) we've tried the Banza chickpea pasta. I've found the shells hold up the best - not sure why the shape matters, but it seems too. It takes a smidge longer to cook than regular pasta, use more water than you think you'll need, and give it a little rinse when you drain it.

I have had lasagna made with thinly sliced eggplant or zucchini replacing the noodles, and spaghetti squash instead of the macaroni with a meat or other sauce on it.

Other winners are just oven roasted vegetables. They are tossed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and then baked. I recall Brussels sprouts, radishes, cauliflower, hard squashes, carrots…and of course potatoes (sweet or white) for those still eating them.

I have also had cauliflower “steaks”, thick cauliflower slices that are either oven roasted or grilled.

I'm a fan of the mini sized Perfect bars.
I haven't seen these, how natural are they? I try to keep the RXbars with 4 ingredients on hand for the family if someone is going on a hike etc. although I don't eat them. I like that there are no chemicals in them

Have you thought of those make your own protein boxes/adult lunch ales?

I’ve done them. I did either deli low salt Turkey or low salt chicken and wrapped a slice or two around cheese to make a no carb wrap, then a hard boiled egg, some raw veggies, a laughing cow cheese wedge, a jig to go peanut butter, some ranch dressing and then in a baggy some multigrain crackers. I also would add grapes and yogurt depending on my mood.

I agree with the hard boiled eggs. Also, I keep string cheese on hand. Sometimes my daughter will make turkey lunch meat roll-ups and wrap it around the string cheese. Beef sticks or beef jerky is also a hit at my house.

I haven't seen these, how natural are they? I try to keep the RXbars with 4 ingredients on hand for the family if someone is going on a hike etc. although I don't eat them. I like that there are no chemicals in them

perfectsnacks.com

They are 100% natural. They are sold in the produce sections of stores, because they require refrigerated storage (although can be out of refrigeration for a couple days).

They are marketed as protein bars, but they are peanut butter based so you need to be non allergic.

I buy the minis at Target. The larger ones are more of a meal replacement, in my opinion. They will keep you full for a long time.

Ham rollups - ham with cream cheese and dill pickle rolled up inside. Some use olives.

Roast beef rolls- tortillas with roast beef, cream cheese, and cucumber inside

One thing that helps my family stay on track is I get a bunch of chicken breasts, sprinkle with whatever Kinder rub flavor I have around, bake or grill, let cool, then cube.

I place the cubed chicken in clear glass containers. The cubing and containers are key for some reason in this house. Everyone loves that it is ready to ear (don't even have to cut) and easily recognized.

We then haver bagged salads (pre washed), balsamic vinegar, blue cheese dressing (I love to just dip my chicken in that), and pre wrapped/washed potatoes (for those that eat them) that you just throw in microwave to bake.

Hard boil some eggs. Have pre cooked bacon on hand. Tons of veggies (red bell peppers, cucumbers, baby carrots) in clear glass containers.

This is our constant on the weekends. Keeps us on track and it's a quick grab and go.

I swear, the clear containers make it all enticing.

I like to roast up a bunch of veggies with olive oil, salt and pepper. I leave them in a container in the fridge and can add them to salads, eat with some balsamic on top, or eat them in a pita. Like others have said, hard boiled eggs are good as well as turkey roll ups.

I also like hard boiled eggs, I put mashed avocado sriracha and everything bagel seasoning on them.

Steamed shrimp (wild caught red Argentina is my favorite) is also good, I’ll throw it in a salad or “wrap” using lettuce or just eat it by itself.

My current obsession is a salad I make with cucumbers, peppers, everything bagel seasoning, honey ginger dressing and chili flakes. I can’t take credit for creating it, I saw it on Instagram. 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter