Heading back home in a few hours...some thoughts as I can't sleep

bobogator

Earning My Ears
We loved our 7 night vacation here!!! We're all very sad to be leaving these slices of paradise called Aulani and Oahu, but we had a great time. Here are some thoughts as I sit on the little couch in our room since I'm not ready for bed even though it's 2:00am and I'm getting up at 6:45 for breakfast before the shuttle to the airport...

- Aulani is beautiful. It has a Disney vibe in its design, but you should note that it doesn't seem as Disney-fied as the WDW property resorts are. Of course, the service is 100% Disney. I am always amazed at the quality of people Disney hires. Above and beyond is the standard practice, and the CMs here at Aulani do not disappoint at all.

- Our room (Deluxe Studio Ocean View in Ewa tower, 12th floor) was nice, but it's a standard Disney resort room. Small...tiny even...for what you're paying. No different than a room at Animal Kingdom Lodge. The bed was not good at all...not good...you can do better Disney...and it's tough to sleep two adults in the bed (but we're spoiled by a true king bed at home). The pillows were also not good, but a call to housekeeping got us four feather pillows which were much better.

- The lagoon is very nice, but the water was cold (December/January). The sun was hot, but it was cold and more windy when you hit some shade (like on the walk back to the lobby through the pool area). We were not prepared for the temperature variations we experienced even on the walks from the room to the lagoon, or the cold nights. What did we know...it's Hawaii...it's always 85 degrees, right? :)

- We went around the lazy river once, and it was nice. We hit the adult pool twice to cool off after laying on the beach, and its water was warmer than the lagoon, which was nice. The entire pool area is very kid centric, which is great...they have a blast. The adult pool seemed like an afterthought, even in its location.

- For dining, here's what I recommend. Eat breakfasts at Ama Ama (the two eggs, potatoes and Portuguese sausage, egg white frittata, acai bowl and bread basket are all awesome!). Get reservations for all meals there if you can. Skip lunch (after the big breakfast, especially if you'll be at the resort all day), and try these restaurants:

Ichiriki - traditional Japanese Shabu Shabu (hot pot) in Aeia, about a 20-30 minute drive toward Honolulu on H1. By far our favorite restaurant on the trip. It's always a good sign when you're the only tourists in a restaurant...this place is a favorite of the locals.
Nico's Pier 38 - great lunch or dinner spot in Honolulu. Try their Loco Moco...it was delicious!
Odoriko - great sushi in Waikiki (30-40 minute drive)
Monkeypod - cool farm-to-table place across the street from Aulani, in the marketplace area.

- Here's how our itinerary played out. It doesn't match the pre-planned itinerary, the one I spent a long time planning, but that's what happens with four kids between 15 and 18 and unknown weather. Luckliy the weather worked out great for us, as the only completely cloudy and cold day was our North Shore day, and every other day was beautiful for laying out to tan or other outdoor activities.

Tuesday: Arrived at Aulani as the sun was setting. Tired, so we split up, got some dinner, and went to sleep.

Wednesday: Resort day. Got the recommendation for Ichiriki from a concierge, and it was awesome.

Thursday: Helicopter tour. Do this! Don't not do it! :) We used Blue Hawaiian and it was great. I had never been in a helicopter, and it may be a while before i do it again, but it was really fun and exciting and beautiful. And I'm proud to say I did not have to use any "comfort bags." :) Interestingly, I noticed that our route was not the route shown on their website, but as far as I can tell, we didn't fly over the east coast of Oahu because the President and his family were in the Lanikai Beach area after his Pearl Harbor memorial visit. We had to go through TSA at the Blue Hawaiian office, which I believe is not the standard routine.
Diamond Head hike. This was more difficult than i expected, but I did it, and I'm super proud of myself. The views are spectacular.
Malasadas at Leonard's in Honolulu. Delicious!

Friday: North Shore. Hiked/walked to Waimea Falls, and three of the girls swam. Lunch at Ted's Bakery near Sunset Beach (get the garlic shrimp). I went a few steps into the water at Sunset Beach and let some 5-8' waves hit me, so I could say I did it (be careful...the shore break can be dangerous and really hurt you if the waves are big, and the undertow back out to sea is strong!). Shave ice at Matsumoto's in Haleiwa...so good (grape/pineapple/coconut)!

Saturday: Resort day. We all had spa treatments (so awesome!!!), attended the Aulani luau (very nice show and great food), then we rang in the new year with Aulani's fireworks (well done!).

Sunday: Resort day.

Monday: Ko'Olani Ocean Adventures, snorkeling with dolphins, turtles and fish, with some bonus whale watching. We snorkeled with the fishes, saw one turtle on that swim, saw a pod of dolphins that followed the boat for a while and loved swimming in the boat's wake, but we did not get into the water with them, and we saw several whale's throughout the trip.

I have to plug Ichiriki and Ko'Olina Ocean Advenures, especially our captains Austin and John, again. We really enjoyed this restaurant and excursion.

I'll post some pics soon. We're going to miss this place. :(

My condolences on your vacation ending :( But we appreciate all the info!

We're planning an early morning Diamond ahead hike and then a stop at Leonard's for some treats! How long did it take from leaving Aulani to finishing the hike? Thinking we'll do Hanauma Bay afterwards. Just wondering how "late" we'lol be getting there.

Also, about how long was the drive to Waimea Falls? We are contemplating a very similar day.

Thanks for sharing with us! And you can sleep on the plane!!!! ;) haha

Oh I am so happy to read about Shabu Shabu. We love hot pot. My daughter lives in Beijing and hot pot is one of her favorites.

So good! :)

obodx33.jpg

OU8Vla2.jpg

about how long was the drive to Waimea Falls? We are contemplating a very similar day.

Not the OP, but its about a 45 minute drive with no traffic. We went mid-morning and didn't hit much traffic. We did stop at the Dole Plantation and in Haleiwa on the way, but they are both on the way to Waimea Valley.

Not the OP, but its about a 45 minute drive with no traffic. We went mid-morning and didn't hit much traffic. We did stop at the Dole Plantation and in Haleiwa on the way, but they are both on the way to Waimea Valley.
Thanks! Not sure we'ok really want to leave Aulani at that point in the trip, but keeping some things in my hip pocket ;)

Thanks! Not sure we'ok really want to leave Aulani at that point in the trip, but keeping some things in my hip pocket ;)

IMO, if you are on the fence, Waimea Valley wasn't worth the drive alone nor is it worth the $16pp admission price. It's a beautiful place and an easy hike, but the swimming at the falls was meh for us. Plus you're required to wear a life jacket and I've heard it's bacteria ridden.

IMO, if you are on the fence, Waimea Valley wasn't worth the drive alone nor is it worth the $16pp admission price. It's a beautiful place and an easy hike, but the swimming at the falls was meh for us. Plus you're required to wear a life jacket and I've heard it's bacteria ridden.
I agree with this. We did the hike last time we were there because we wanted to do ANY hike (we had two year old twins with us, so options were limited). It was pretty, but DH and I agreed that it wasn't worth the admission price. North Shore was awesome, so I wouldn't hesitate to see that.

I agree with this. We did the hike last time we were there because we wanted to do ANY hike (we had two year old twins with us, so options were limited). It was pretty, but DH and I agreed that it wasn't worth the admission price. North Shore was awesome, so I wouldn't hesitate to see that.

Thanks so much for the input! I think that makes three different people who've posted that, so it's pretty much off my list. But a quick stop for a Dole Whip on the way to Haleiwa and maybe a shrimp truck is still on the distinct "maybes!"

We drove to Waimea Valley, parked and went in. Did not pay to go to the waterfall. It wasn't worth it. The area is beautiful.

Much better is driving a bit further and watching surfers at the Bonsai Pipeline. It's where the Triple Crown competition is held, HUGE surf. Really fun to see.

Did you say you have 4 teens and your partner in a studio? How did that happen as studios only have a 4 person occupancy?

That helicopter tour and food sounds awesome. Great report, thank you!

Thank you for sharing! You gave me some great spots to visit before my husband and I leave island and move back to Florida (and right nextdoor to Disney World.) :teeth:

If it makes you feel any better about your vacation ending, Oahu is not as perfect when you live here year-round. The island is best suited for a one week to a one month trip. :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter