Haylie's MAW/GKTW Trip in Feb. 2011

Joshay2234

Joshay2234
Hi everyone,
First of all, I want to thank everyone for reading. I have been so excited since Haylie was granted a wish in August and now I FINALLY have a space to get all of this excitement out of my body! I am seriously shaking as I type this, I am so darn excited! :banana:

Here is the cast of characters: Me, Lisa, mother of 2 fabulous girls and wife of Don, my awesome husband; DD - Joscelyn 8; DD - Haylie 4- wish kid.

Let me give you some background info first. Haylie was diagnosed on her first birthday with a rare malformation of the brain called Vein of Galen Malformation. In this particular vein, the Vein of Galen, there are no capillaries to slow down the blood flow to the heart or to take out necessary nutrients, thus causing the vein to swell up with all of the blood. Eventually, if left untreated, she will go into cardiac failure and that will be it. To date, she has had 13 surgeries with her 14th next week. We live in Northern Illinois and her first 9 surgeries were done at Children's Memorial in Chicago. During the 9th surgery, she suffered a stroke and lost most of the function on the left side of her body. Luckily, being young and the miracle that she is (and also with the help of amazing therapists), she regained back everything except a slight weekness on her left side. Since then, we have been traveling back and forth to NYC for her surgeries. The doctor that does them is actually the pioneer of this treatment for this rare malformation. While he does not know how many more surgeries she will need, we feel a sense of calm to know that we are finally in the right place and she is finally in the right hands.

Okay, you have a little background, now, on to the fun stuff! My mother-in-law had been telling me for a very long time that I should really think about contacting MAW and telling them Haylie's story. I had always heard that MAW was a FINAL wish so I never wanted to even think about going that route. One day, on a whim, I decided to check out the website and sure enough, I was wrong. Once I established that MAW is for children with life threatening illnesses, I filled out the online application right away!

Within days we were told that she was approved and just this week, we received our flight info and trip days. We will be going on February 20th and will return on February 26th, 2011. With my husband and I traveling so often to NYC, we decided to wait until after the first of the year so that he would have ample vacation time at work. Also, with her surgery being next week, we thought it could be something she could look forward to while in the hospital. We are going to the library tonight to stock up on Disney planning books (although I must admit, I have most of the planning done in my mind already. What can I say? I'm a go getter)!

Thanks for reading, Lisa :dance3:

Congratulations, that's great!! I'm really excited for you all and Haylie. I hope Maroo will chime in here somewhere. She accompanied a young friend on a WISH trip, and is a wealth of information and good advice!!!

This is my little miracle, Haylie. This is from last year's Special Olympics! :cheer2:

Hayliein2010SpecialOlympics013.jpg

Thanks everyone for welcoming me to this website. I look forward to reading about everyone's trips. We don't go until February 20th, 2011, but we have been talking about it nonstop since Haylie was granted the wish. I am working on an itenerary and I noticed that a lot of you go to Downtown Disney while there and I know that we are getting tickets to the 4 Disney Parks, Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure and Seaworld. Is Downtown Disney someplace you can go without tickets. I know my girls would love to see the Lego store, but am not sure if we have tickets to get in.

Also, we are leaving for NYC tomorrow and Haylie's surgery is at 7am on Wednesday. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks again, Lisa :littleangel:

Lisa, are you posting on the Wish Trip thread too (over on the other Disabilities forum)? That's where all the Wish Trippers congregate and you'll likely get loads of help with any and all questions there.

Of course that's not to suggest that the folks who frequent this board wouldn't be willing to help you where they can. Just saying you may want to check out over there if you haven't had an opportunity to yet :)

Happy Wish Trip planning! You're gonna have a blast!

edited to add: oh, and btw, no, no tickets of any kind are necessary to enjoy the shops at Downtown Disney:)

Here are some more pics of my sweeties, Joscelyn and Haylie. The one dressed up as Minnie Mouse is Katelyn, my cute niece!

002.jpg

001.jpg

Fall2010012.jpg

Fall2010008.jpg

Fall2010004.jpg

Fall2010003.jpg

Halloween2010003.jpg

Halloween2010002.jpg

Halloween2010001.jpg

I have been reading a lot of trip reports and have noticed that a lot of people are talking quite a bit about the Big Give. What is this and is there something I need to do to get Haylie signed up for it?

:hippie:

Sooo......I am finally starting to make an itenerary for our trip. :yay: The Sunday that we arrive, we come in around 11am, so we were thinking of spending the remainder of that day at GKTW, then maybe in the evening, we may head to Downtown Disney.

My question is, since we will be there in February, I think the parks close a little earlier in the evening. Is there always something going on at GKTW in the evening. I have heard a few things about Village Idol and Double Dare, but am not sure if those things happen only during the day.

I would appreciat any input! :dance3:

My question is, since we will be there in February, I think the parks close a little earlier in the evening. Is there always something going on at GKTW in the evening. I have heard a few things about Village Idol and Double Dare, but am not sure if those things happen only during the day.

I can take this one. All of the activities at GKTW happen either in the morning or evening.

Here is the general schedule: http://www.gktw.org/pre/village/schedule.asp?p=village

(tuesdays nights is now Big Splash Bash at the Pool of Dreams) The rest of the schedule is still the same. The movies may or may not be showed in the Theatre though.

Made my first reservation! We'll be going to Chef Mickey's! Makes it feel a little more real now! My eight year old daughter will be celebrating her birthday there as well. Any advice on where to eat? :hippie:

I would appreciat any input! :dance3:

I am so happy for your precious little girl and her trip!:banana:

I am about 95% sure that the week you will be traveling is President's Week. It is a very busy week (much busier than the rest of Feb.) Therefore, the parks (specifically MK) are generally open quite late that week. When were there this past Pres. Week, I believe MK's closing time fluctuated between 10PM and midnight. I know you will have your buttons for ride lines and things, but I just wanted you to be aware of the likelihood of crowds when you are planning on doing things where the buttons will not be of any help to you (such as going to DTD etc...)

Have a fabulous time!

ETA: DD7's favorite restaurant is Crystal Palace.

Small World, it looks like President's Day IS February 21st in 2011, so you are right, that is when we will be there. What do you think if we do Universal and Seaworld at the beginning of the week and do the Disney Parks at the end of the week? Do you think the Disney parks will be less crowded towards the end of the week? Crap, now that I know this info, I am totally freaking out! It's going to be okay.....it's going to be okay.....it's going to be okay (as I am hyperventilating into a brown paper bag), LOL! :eek::eek::eek:

Kailatilear, I would LOVE to meet!!!! My oldest daughter is 8, so I think she would get along with Abby perfectly!!! Let's definitely plan to meet that week!!!!!:banana::banana::banana:

Also, Haylie will be having another surgery in NYC on Thursday of this week (Dec. 2, 2010), so please keep her in your prayers on that day.

Thanks in advance,
Lisa :cutie:

Small World, it looks like President's Day IS February 21st in 2011, so you are right, that is when we will be there. What do you think if we do Universal and Seaworld at the beginning of the week and do the Disney Parks at the end of the week? Do you think the Disney parks will be less crowded towards the end of the week? Crap, now that I know this info, I am totally freaking out! It's going to be okay.....it's going to be okay.....it's going to be okay (as I am hyperventilating into a brown paper bag), LOL! :eek::eek::eek:

Deep breath......

First off, I just want to say, that I am probably not your best source of advice as I have never been on a wish trip or even used a GAC so I can't speak to the logistics from that point of view. I am, however, a teacher who can only travel during the vacation weeks so I am used to the crowds.

We deal with the crowds by getting there at park opening - something I know that is not always possible when traveling with those who have more specialized needs.

I would definitely avoid the parks that have EMH days, unless you are 100% certain that you can be there on time and even then I would probably avoid them. www.easywdw.com is a site that has crowd calendars and the best days calendars for each month and is free. It can be a little confusing navigating it at first, but once you figure it out, they have great info. Even though you don't have to wait in regular lines, you might be better off choosing your days based on the park days recommended just to make things easier and avoid the overstimulation that can come with huge crowds.

I have never traveled to Universal or SeaWorld in Feb. only the summer. But, when we were at Universal this past August, we did see a fair number of kids with GKTW buttons on and when we were in line to meet Dora, we overheard a family comment on what a great job Universal was doing and how Disney could really learn from them on how to treat their GKTW visitors. Not Dissing Disney, but it seems like Universal does a great job with this so maybe they would be good to visit at the beginning of the week. :confused3

One good thing is that Disney is not offering free dining that week, so the restaurants tend to be more manageable than they are at other times of the year. Also, they tend to offer the night time entertainment more frequently, so if you are able to stay out late at all, you will have more flexibility there.

HTH:goodvibes

It really won't matter when in the week you go it will be crowded the entire week because the kids in Michigan and other northern states will be on mid winter break.

However you won't have to worry as a wish kid she goes to the front of the lines.

We will be at Disney the week before and it's getting harder and harder the closer it gets to not burst with excitement.

Have a GREAT time

Cindy

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I just wanted to share with everyone how Haylie's surgery in NYC went last week. The surgery itself was very successful. :banana: Later the next night, she started projectile vomiting so she had to have an emergency CT scan to rule out any strokes or hemmorages. Thank God, nothing was found. She continued to vomit until Saturday, but by Saturday afternoon, the vomiting ceased. We were discharged on Sunday morning and she continues to have terrible headaches as her entire brain is revascularizing after the surgery. We are giving her Tylenol with Codeine and that seems to help a little. I wish I could trade places with her and endure everything she has to go thru. I would gladly do it if I could. Seeing her in so much pain is excrutiatingly painful.

Please continue to pray that her pain subsides quickly. I appreciate everyone's kind words.

Thank you, Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter