have you ever seen CM's "behaving badly"?

O.k. this was 20 years ago on my CP Program. I worked Fantasyland Merch. We had what they called walk time in our shift. We could clock out at 11:40 if you were scheduled until 12. This is because they were figuring in getting in/out of costumes, walking to the exit and transportation to cast parking. I think I did hear that they got rid of walk time later.

Some positions got rid of walk time snd some didn't. You can't clock out early any more but you will get bumped out in a rotational position (like attractions) about 12 minutes before your shift at my old attraction so yiu had time to walk to the computer and not get a clocking error half point.

There is also walk time buit in for most attractions for when you sre relieving a position. That is so a persons break is not lost due to hsving to walk to the break room. Big problem though is some CMs use all the break walk time for themselves not realizing half is for person A and half for person B. So person A has 6 minutes to get to person B and swap them out and person B has 6 minutes to get to the break room.

Photopass you clock in and out as you are bumped so no walk time vut managers can review how long it took you to get from your designated area to your clock. Their system works better because rheir breaks are never eaten intk by guests or slow CMs.

I don't see an issue with OP's question... these boards tend to pull up unusual stuff you don't always hear about Disney,etc so why not this topic? To be fair, it would be strange to never ever see a CM having an 'off' day...there are so many people working there! The only time that sticks in my mind, the CM was purposely,and awfully rude. He just wouldn't stop shouting,it seemed amusing to him to ruin the experience of so many people watching a show. I think he wanted attention. It was pretty inexcusable. But it didn't really color my perception of the trip, it was just one person being awful. I am hoping he didn't last too long in his position,as he didn't really seem to 'get' that working at Disney and with large crowds of people requires a minimum of politeness. That's like one in about 1000 experiences though....

i was thinking back to my recent trip and remembered that when entering epcot through the international gateway entrance a woman CM was basically arguing with a male CM saying "if they ask, you better tell them i was here on time! you know i'm always on time! i can't help that "that" happened! this is total crap and its because of you and that other one! now i'm gonna get in trouble!"

have you ever seen CM's acting like that?

We've mostly had great experiences, I know that on a daily basis these guys deal with a lot of stuff. Any time you deal with that many people from all over the place...

But we had a CM be extremely rude at the character spot at Epcot. Angrily telling us to move move move to see Mickey. What's "funny" is when my wife tried to get a look at her name badge, SHE COVERED IT UP.

I've never really had a CM be rude...unhelpful is about the worst and I can only think of one CM who fits that. He was working a FP+ kiosk area and he kinda brushed me off saying he couldn't do what I wanted to do. Walking just down to the next FP+ area (Tomorrowland, they were operating one near Buzz/Monsters Inc. and one outside of Stitch) and a nice CM there easily set me up with what I needed, as I knew it was possible.

We go to the parks so much my answer is, of course I have. But to me it's no big deal, it's a themepark and CM's have to put up with so much crap from guests, they're entitled to a bad day.

I visit 3 times year on average and I have noticed some Cast Members' pixie dust has worn off by the evening, specifically extra magic hours. I've seen a lot of rolling of the eyes, slouching, patience worn thin and visible tiredness (which I understand as my daughter was a CM for 4 years). However, I've never witnessed any bad behavior or rudeness.

Sorry, but I don't consider most of the reports here, including the opening post, to be what I would call "cast members behaving badly". Talk about hyperbole! Alot of these "incidents" were really just accidental things that were overheard by guests. It's more of an "unfortunate" mistake than "behaving badly" and certainly nothing that should impede anyone's vacation.

The castmembers are not robots. They are not fairytale men and women who only speak in the Disney tongue. No one can be "on" 100% of the time. Are we really complaining because cast members took you out of your vacation? Because they dared to complain to another cast member or talk about their social life? Or even vented some frustration in salty language when they thought no one was listening? They are human. These are hardly make it or break it moments that should spoil anyone's vacation.

In fact, I rather consider these breaches in all Disney all the time, rather amusing. It's hard to keep up the magical facade, I would imagine, and seeing the occasional cracks on a castmember doesn't bother me at all. If anyone is so outraged, they can always report the castmember to Guestservices if anything truly egregious and a genuine "behaving badly" moment has occurred.

As for something like "snotty attitude", I mean, even Disney World is the real world, as long as they are doing their job, is it really worth complaining over?

I've been to Disney on numerous occasions and I can honestly say I can't remember anything that stands out to be included in this thread. I mean, I'm sorry but I hardly consider two or more castmembers who are standing together waiting for customers choosing to pass the time "talking" to be something that shatters the illusion of my Disney magic and worth bringing up as "behaving badly". Should they all just grin stupidly at each other and only talk in Disney language 24/7?
It isn't good show. For people that have been visiting Disney for many years, it is obvious the show is slipping and nothing is being done about it. Disney used to be the gold standard for customer service. They aren't anymore.

It isn't good show. For people that have been visiting Disney for many years, it is obvious the show is slipping and nothing is being done about it. Disney used to be the gold standard for customer service. They aren't anymore.
Seems like the gold standard for service has turned into just a gold standard.

No. Always been very pleasant.

But can you imagine the rude people they have to deal with on a daily basis?

I think i would last all of 5 mins as a CM.

My sister was at the front of the group going in to see Tink, and she was venting to the other CMs, and dropped an F bomb. She had her back to the entrance and didn't notice that the next family was entering. My sister just yelled, hi and Tink was in instant character. She didn't say anything, I don't know that I could have held back.....

Wow!

No. Always been very pleasant.

But can you imagine the rude people they have to deal with on a daily basis?

I think i would last all of 5 mins as a CM.

That's funny because our last trip, the DW and I were waiting for the tram, you know the guy, "please stand behind the yellow line!" Kept going up and down the line saying the same thing trying to get people to stay behind the line, I told DW I would last 10 min before being sent to a supervisor because it would be, "WHAT THE **** CAN'T YOU FIGURE OUT ABOUT BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE!" What stood out for us the last time with CM as walking in MK was CM talking to security and I overheard security tell the CM, "You should have called us, you shouldn't have had to put up with that!"

We've been to Disney quite a few times over the years, and I really only remember 1 truly horrible CM. A few years ago, my Dad finally broke down and admitted he needed a scooter to manage the parks. The first day we went to Epcot. The rental went well, and the people working there gave him a quick run down of how to operate the scooter. Dad had his first pain free day at Disney in years, and all was well.

The next morning (Dad's birthday), we arrived at the MK and went straight to the scooter rental area. After paying, we walked over and the CM pointed at a scooter. My Dad got on and immediately realized the scooter was quite small. My Dad asked the CM if he could get one of the bigger scooters. The CM said, "That's it"...and started to walk away. My Dad then mentioned to the CM that Epcot originally had given him a scooter like this, noticed it was too small, and got him a bigger one from the back. The CM literally barked at us, "There's only one size!" and walked away again. My Dad and I were discussing the fact that this just wasn't going to work, and he didn't want to pay $50.00 to have his knees up in his chest all day, and what we should do. Then my mother noticed a couple of the bigger scooters among the rest, and said, "Isn't this one like you had yesterday?" My Dad got on, and that one was bigger. The CM continued to ignore us. I walked toward him and asked if it was okay if we take the bigger scooter. He literally walked away and would not answer. After asking again, and still getting no response, We just put the name card in that one and started getting ready to go. At that point, he actually chased after us and yelled at my Dad, "And if you think for one minute either of those kids are going to be on that scooter, any CM in the park will rip the key right out of it, and you won't be getting it back, and you won't get a refund!"

I'm not really sure why he was so worried about my children. They were standing off to the side with my husband, and nowhere near the scooter at the time. I said, "We know the rules, Thank you." and walked off. I still can't believe I didn't go to guest services, but at that point I was just ready to move on...

One time only in 15 plus trips since 1999, usually of 8 days or more. I have a video of my family and I about to board Space Mountain and one CM was complaining to another CM, persistently, that someone failed to pick him up and take him somewhere. I say 'persistently' because the 2nd CM seemed to be studiously ignoring him and he kept repeating, 'Couldn't they come and get me?' It's one of my favorite WDW vids, in 2004 I took my whole extended family, we stayed at Swan for 8 days and I caught our first grand daughter's first carousel ride, among other firsts, shortly after the scene just described.

Bill From PA

i was thinking back to my recent trip and remembered that when entering epcot through the international gateway entrance a woman CM was basically arguing with a male CM saying "if they ask, you better tell them i was here on time! you know i'm always on time! i can't help that "that" happened! this is total crap and its because of you and that other one! now i'm gonna get in trouble!"

have you ever seen CM's acting like that?

Just today I saw a CM at Tomorrowland Speedway apoplectically shout at someone who full speed smashed into the car in front of them while the people in it were getting out at the rear most gate. It was absolutely hilarious. The idiot guests totally had it coming at the CM composed himself after a second. Lol.

I had many magical moments with CMs, but one really bad one. My DD and I were walking from Haunted Mansion and decided to relax and ride the paddle boat (the liberty belle, I think?). There was a rope across the empty waiting area, so we got in line with about 10 other families. We all stood waiting for at least 15 minutes, finally a CM came out, ignoring us all. I asked if we were in the right place for the boat and he just looked at me like I had three heads and then made sarcastic comments designed to show me just how stupid my question was and to make me feel idiotic. I was really taken aback. He said 'uh, DUH!" and when I didn't immediately reply he said "do you see the boat leaving?" I said yes, and asked politely why none of us were allowed in the que and he said, in a very very nasty tone that the line closes 5 minutes before departure. I pointed out that a large number of us had been waiting for over 15 minutes and that the boat was just leaving. He said he wasn't a liar, that I must be lying and that all of us failing to plan was not his problem and that the boat was full anyway! I said, we can all see there are less than 10 people on that giant boat. He again told me that I was not his problem and to take my entitled princess self elsewhere!!! I was totally polite to this guy even when I pointed out his outright lie (I thought maybe I could diffuse the situation by being nice- I used to work the other side of customer service and have been a teacher for 15 years). I asked his name (he was too far away to see his name tag clearly) and when he told me, I did get a little sarcastic back and said Thanks so much for your help, I'll be sure your supervisor knows how nice you were too me! The people behind me couldn't believe I kept my cool. DD asked me as we walked away why I told him thanks for being nice 'because he was not nice at all mommy!" We walked over to the Christmas shop and the CM was SOo nice that I thanked her for her kindness. She was a little surprised by how much I appreciated her help and asked what happened (she just sensed it). When I told her what happened, she immediately radioed for a supervisor AND gave us all the ornaments we were about to pay for. for free! I was totally shocked and kept trying to pay her! TWO supervisors came within 3 minutes (before the transaction was even finished) and when they heard the story they were not happy! They said the CM would be dealt with (I felt bad about this) and gave us a slip of paper for unlimited Fast Passes the rest of the day!!!!!!!

So our worst experience turned into our best experience... We rode Peter Pan and every other ride DD wanted to about 5 times each before leaving. I in no way complained with the idea of being rewarded for it, but I felt I needed to tell someone (after cooling down) because he was SO out of line. I am not going to lie though, the unexpected free ornaments and Fast Passes were such a gift.

I don't see an issue with OP's question... these boards tend to pull up unusual stuff you don't always hear about Disney,etc so why not this topic? To be fair, it would be strange to never ever see a CM having an 'off' day...there are so many people working there! The only time that sticks in my mind, the CM was purposely,and awfully rude. He just wouldn't stop shouting,it seemed amusing to him to ruin the experience of so many people watching a show. I think he wanted attention. It was pretty inexcusable. But it didn't really color my perception of the trip, it was just one person being awful. I am hoping he didn't last too long in his position,as he didn't really seem to 'get' that working at Disney and with large crowds of people requires a minimum of politeness. That's like one in about 1000 experiences though....

I agree, I find most everything Disney to be fascinating! I can't get enough of it! I like the unusual stuff too, deeper down the rabbit hole we go! If people feel it is too negative for them (and I get protecting your psyche), then they don't have to read the board.

CM working in Town Square Mickey attraction by the name of Sher(older woman), was very gruff with the guests. Stand here, do this, put your bags there, etc...

Actually saw her grab a young guest by the arm leading the child away from Mickey when she deemed it time for the next guest. If I was the parents I would have been furious.

She should be in a job at WDW that requires much much much less guest interaction.

No, haven't seen CMs behaving badly. What I do see more and more every trip are CMs going through the motions. Very often the CMs standing in front of attractions are just talking to each other, and don't even acknowledge the guests passing through. Not like it ruins our trip or anything, just something we notice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter