Have you ever had a shock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest shock we had was waiting in line for the bus one evening going from MK to POFQ. Four obviously healthy teenagers asked if they could cut in front of us and our son (11 year old in wheel chair). My husband was so shocked he didn't respond, which they took for assent. Don't get me wrong, I don't mention their age in the "kids-today-complaint", but merely to underline how outrageous the request was, by comparison.

Part of me thinks: at least they asked, but I still have a hard time excusing it, in any way.

During Easter Week, we were at our last day-Epcot. Around 4:00 p.m. a bunch of us chaperones stopped to listen to the British Invasion(The Beetles).

I'm not prejudice, just don't throw it in my face. 2 girls were dancing very close and making their intentions known. After a couple of songs, the band made the announcement, we all know you 2 can dance, let see if the crowd can enjoy this and sing along. Their friends were video taping and taking pictures of the whole lewd thing. I think they were embarassed and couldn't believe they were doing this.

They didn't stop and later a bunch of our kids that were in our highschool band walked in, cause you could hear the music, walked and and go "WOW" including my son.
LOL

On a lighter note (kinda ;) ) DH and I were at DL two years.
Fantasmic there was packed. Guests are just sardined in, standing, so you can't move if you had to. No one could possibly fall.
We arrived early, and were leaning/standing against a barricade. (fence?)
Of course people piled in heavily all around us.
A young gal was holding a little girl. This was no baby. It was the end of the day, dark and the woman and little girl looked pooped.
We asked the gal if she wanted to stand in front of us to seat the little girl she was holding on the barricade. We thought she could lighten her load a little.
As loud as Fantasmic is, the little girl slept through most it.
Towards the end, she struggled and wanted to get down. The young woman holding the little girl let her down to stand.
All of a sudden DH felt little sprinkles on his leg! :eek:
We looked down and the young gal was horrified! The little girl was standing with her legs apart peeing. :rolleyes:
I think the little girl knew better. But I think she was so tired and sleepy, nothing was registering.
We just laughed, The gal apologized. But we shrugged and told her she never could have made it out of the crowd anyway. And she couldn't have.
Luckily our day was done and DH went to the room and showered! :jester:

Another time on our January trip, on one of our many rides on ToT ;) , a pre teen (or young teen) gal was with her parents.
She was wailing and crying and pleading NOT To go on.
What had happened, they had just come off RnRC. She was reluctant to go on that -- BUT her parents told her it was nothing. :rolleyes: Just as they were telling her ToT was nothing.
The rotton dad was calling her a cry baby. The mother wasn't much better. She said Oh you will like it -- Get use to it.
(Parents of the year here. :p )
DH and I tried to calm the young gal, since her parents weren't going to let her off, explaining what happened on ToT, etc.
That's when she told us how RnRC scared her so and partly because her parents said it was *nothing*.
Thank goodness, the CM saw the tears streaming, and her face and eyes red and swollen from crying. She was doing what little kids do when they have cried a lot and are trying to hold back more tears.
It really was hearbreaking. I can't imagine being such a horrible parent.
The CM asked the girl (ignoring the parent's protest) if she wanted to ride ToT. She rapidly shook her head NO. The CM made all three leave.
I felt so sorry for that girl. I was hoping she wasn't going to be punished for that. Although her parents were showing full signs of being mental abusers.
That girl will probably grow up never wanting to go to theme parks her whole life.
:(

:mad: That poor child will suffer from a lot more then just not wanting to go to a theme park when she gets older. How sad. :(

Agree -- I even thought at that time her trust level ESPECIALLY with her parents was now down to nil. :mad:
It's times like that you wish you could take the kid aside and say -- Hey, it's not you. It's THEM who are bad.

I guess I have 2 incidents. When AK first opened I went, and stood in line for the Lion King show for about 1 hour. (It was pretty hot that day, and not too much shade). There was a family from Spain or Portugal in front of me. I go solo to the parks, so I've usually ended up chatting with the kids about the fun they are having, and we didn't speak the same language so the sign language started conversation started. We went into the show, and got places to sit. It was the Mom, Dad, Son and Daughter, and they sat in front of me. Before the Show started, the son sat on the mom's lap, and another dad with his 2 daughters came in and was pretty upset about not getting a place in front, and kept mumbling about all the foreigners there. Anyway, he tried to make the family, move together so him and his daughters could squeeze into a small seat and sit up close. He was becoming quite rude, and I was able to make eye contact with a CM. I told him that we had stood in line for 1 hour for seats and if he was so concerned about seats they should have stood in line too. Anyway the CM explained that it was okay for the family to keep the seat open for their child on the lap. He sat behind me grumbling loudly, and I noticed that him and his daughters were wearing W.W.J.D. bracelots. At that point, I pointed to my own, and told him that he should truly try to be more Christian and to keep his mouth quiet for the rest of us to enjoy the show. He did shut up at that point, but I felt the daggers in my back for the whole show.
My 2nd occurred on the Disney Magic in March. I left dinner a little early so that I could get a good spot for the Til We Meet Again Goodbye in the atrium on the last night. I thought I had a good spot and this lady, leans thru and pulls her 6 foot husband in front of me with no apologies to me. She said, you don't have kids so this isn't a big deal for you. Needless to say, I have their heads in all my pictures.
Oh well,

The worst thing I ever saw was in line for the Maelstrom. This guy about 30 decided he couldn't hold it anymore and didn't feel like getting out of line, so he went to the bathroom right in the line. He moved over by the wall, pulled down his pants, and did a bowel movement. He did this in front of everyone waiting. Guess he thought he was being subtle by having his family move around him, but all the laughing they were doing gave it away. Then they were shocked when a CM called security to have them removed from the park! The CMs had to reroute the line for the people waiting already, and shut the line down so they could clean it up properly. I was with my sister and two nieces who at the time were 4 and 6...the younger one just looked at my sister and asked "why isn't he wearing a diaper, they make them for adults too" ...gave the people in line around us a nice laugh.

A couple of years ago we were sitting waiting for the Indiana Jones Show to start. It was August and very hot of course, so many people were drinking sodas and eating popsicles in the audience. Right in front of us we saw this Dad come back and join his family with a popsicle looking thing, I think it was the three colored type if I remember right. Well, there were three small kids there and they started crying they wanted one too..Dad who seemed to be a real idiot, ignored them and their cries and we were regretting our seats at the moment...Anyway after about five minutes of this, Dad takes the popsicle thing out of his own mouth and passes it to the first kid, kid then licks all over it and passes it to second kid, second kid licks all over it and passes it to third kid, then on to Mom. All of them have licked all over this popsicle, and they then pass it down the row again for everyone to share..One of the kids has been coughing and hacking all during the wait too. Luckily the theater was not full already, DH and I had enough of this gross family and got up and moved our seats..

kylara - that is absolutely the most rude, ignorant & disgusting thing I have heard in my life. How unfortunate that you had to witness such a thing. :(

Both of these happened at night time shows:

The first was while we were waiting for the Main St Electrical Parade. I have to use a ECV in the parks. We ate dinner and went to get our places very early for the parade. We found a place in front of Main St and settled in. The was a small space in front of the ECV and wheelchairs for a companion to sit. Hubby elected to wait and sit in one of the planter's benches behind me. As the time of the parade got closer, more than one person stopped to ask if they could sit there. After a while everyone around me responded "NO", before I could. Well, this one woman, in Eastern Indian dress, didn't even ask. She just flipped up her long top and was ready to plant her bottom in front of me. EVERYONE around me yelled "NO" before she even got half-way down. She just looked at all of us and stared at us like we were crazy, then just walked off. Even if she didn't know english, she could have gestured to ask if it was ok. And, what made her think she could get a curb side seat 10 minutes before a parade anyway? In the end hubby elected to stay on the planter bench and I gave the space in front of me to a couple who had their teenage children nearby. They were very grateful and helped hubby move the ECV off the curb later on.

The second incident happened at Fantasmic. We did the dinner thing to get good seats. Hubby was tired and didn't want to stay for Fantasmic, so he went back to the hotel. I got into the handicapped area of the reserved seating and a little while later the CM's started general admission. The theatre filled up very quickly. Well, when there was standing room only, people started trying to sit on the two benches in front of me. They had handicapped decals on them and were for the families of people in wheelchairs. The CM's gently told people that they could not sit there and made them move. As the theatre really filled up, this guy goes to move his family to these benches. The CM tells him "NO", and he pulls out papers, and starts pointing to them and yelling at the CM about the "resort fees" he paid! As soon as the CM's back was turned, he sat on those benches and motioned for his family to join him, which they did. The saddest part of the story is that families who had disabled people in their parties had no place to sit. I was shocked at the rudness and held one little boy on my knees thru the show.

In fact, there was a shocking lack of courtesy toward people using wheelchairs and ECV's. This was my first trip having to use one. I was kicked, ignored, delibertely stood in front of, had doors slammed in my face and had rude comments made to me. Some people would see me and deliberately would cross my path to try to "beat" me before they got run over. I took to honking my horn and telling people, esp. kids, not to try it because I didn't want them to get hurt. Hubby said that I needed him to run interference for me. It really was shocking. I posted about it on the (Dis)Abilities board when we got back.

I'm going to need an ECV in August too. But, hubby won't be there. My Sister is going to have to help me.

Daisimae :D

We were at AK last May. I am not sure of what specific trail because it was so crowded. Anyway, a girl around 11 or 12 had a "wedgie" and began fixing it. Her dad saw and began screaming at her "You are so disgusting! I can't believe how filthy you are!!" and so on. The little girl burst into tears because everyone was looking at her now. Then the man starts screaming "Stop your crying!! Your filthy!!" She says "But Dad..." and he takes his camera that is hanging from his wrist and smacks her in the face and head with it. He hit her so hard that he broke the camera. The trail was packed with people and everyone was in shock. My kids started asking "why did he do that to her?" and we quickly walked away. It was so terrible. I felt so bad for the girl.

Thank goodness that is the only terrible thing we saw.

Originally posted by DisneyRoys
We were at AK last May. I am not sure of what specific trail because it was so crowded. Anyway, a girl around 11 or 12 had a "wedgie" and began fixing it. Her dad saw and began screaming at her "You are so disgusting! I can't believe how filthy you are!!" and so on. The little girl burst into tears because everyone was looking at her now. Then the man starts screaming "Stop your crying!! Your filthy!!" She says "But Dad..." and he takes his camera that is hanging from his wrist and smacks her in the face and head with it. He hit her so hard that he broke the camera. The trail was packed with people and everyone was in shock. My kids started asking "why did he do that to her?" and we quickly walked away. It was so terrible. I felt so bad for the girl.

Thank goodness that is the only terrible thing we saw.

My DH just said it is a good thing he did not see that man that day or he would be leaving the park in a body bag:)

Some people should be allowed to have children, or their kids should be taken away and given to more loving families.

This happened in Dec 2001 -

We were waiting in line for Thunder Mt and heard hollering and screaming ahead of us. We saw a man grabbing and hitting a girl who was probably about 10 yo. Evidently she was afraid to ride the train and he was mad about it. At one point he started to strangle her. A couple of CMs witnessed the entire thing and didn't do anything. The man and girl were with several other people (members of the family I assume). The dad and daughter eventually got out of line and disappeared. Later in the day we saw them again outside HM. She was sitting on a bench crying and had red fingermarks on her throat and bruises on her face. I guess she was afraid of HM too.

I felt bad for her but what are you supposed to do?

... so how Disney'd out was I when I was on these boards almost all day last Thursday after we got back, posting away on this and that adventure in the World??!!!

BUT...this was my recent "shock" - tho it was probably more of a shock bcause we are used to CM's being so nice, and also because I am maybe a bit still grieving the loss of DH, who pased away on out first WDW vacation in 2001. I still reported this to the manager of Chef Mickey's as we left.

This was our third visit to Chef Mickey's - 4th trip to WDW - yes - now we go as much as we can - life is too short and it is still magical! -

Imagine my surprise when the check comes and our server - a rather unfriendly type from the get-go - gives me a pen to sign my cc that reads "Croley's Funeral Home". I had never seen any pen at WDW that says anything BUT WDW on it. When I gave the server the pen back, and he asked again was everything fine - I felt compelled to tell him of my loss and maybe he would consider getting another pen next time.

He said something very weird then, like, "OOH - so death is the enemy, is it? Death is YOUR enemy. But it is everyhere" and went on and on...

The manager was great - he listened and thanked me and apologized. Meanwhile, the waiter passed by, left the restaurant it seemed or went up front - and whispered to me as I left -" I threw out that pen, ma'am".

Yah - only because he saw me speaking to the manager.

Just wanted to share this - it was the only time any CM has ever really "gotten" to me! Thank you for reading!

Oh my word! After reading some of these, I can't help but wonder how we aren't all dead from all of the germs that must be floating around ;)

I agree that rude behavior would probablly be less common if people spoke up about it more. A simple "I think you dropped something" to someone who liters, as someone suggested earlier, is brilliant. However, after something I saw on my last trip, I have to suggest that people be sure that someone really *is* up to no good before they lecture them ;) While in like for opening at AK, a man walked up to the turnstiles and was talking to the CM there. The man behind me started screaming about the first man trying to cut in line. The first man came over and said that they had an early PS, and he was just asking if they would be allowed in early. A shouting match broke out between the two, and I was sure that fists were going to start flying!

I suppose that serves as both a shocking thing I've seen, as well as a warning to not jump in on a situation too quickly! :teeth:

Originally posted by Pig Pen
This happened in Dec 2001 -

We were waiting in line for Thunder Mt and heard hollering and screaming ahead of us. We saw a man grabbing and hitting a girl who was probably about 10 yo. Evidently she was afraid to ride the train and he was mad about it. At one point he started to strangle her. A couple of CMs witnessed the entire thing and didn't do anything. The man and girl were with several other people (members of the family I assume). The dad and daughter eventually got out of line and disappeared. Later in the day we saw them again outside HM. She was sitting on a bench crying and had red fingermarks on her throat and bruises on her face. I guess she was afraid of HM too.

I felt bad for her but what are you supposed to do?

I would be on my cell phone so fast calling the police! I guess if they left the line all the police could do is get a description though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter