Hats in Restaurants

I am a very lucky woman. I have a husband who was raised to open a door for a lady, walk on the outside when with a lady, to take off his hat when there is a roof over his head, to have table manners, to get up so a woman or an elderly person can sit down, and knows that having manners is about respecting and having consideration for the people around him.
I'm also proud to say that my Godson has the best manners and does all of these same things. He is getting married in a couple weeks and his bride to be was just saying how lucky she is to be marrying a man who cares about others as well as himself and cares about tradition.:thumbsup2

My boys don't normally wear hats, so we've never really had to deal with this issue.

But, I would much rather see someone wearing a hat in a restaurant than to see them lay their dirty, sweaty hat on the table. :sick: I know not everyone does that, but I have seen it.

Personally, I'm a little appalled by some of the comments on here suggesting that one can determine someone else's entire upbringing and character simply based on the fact that they are wearing a hat in a restaurant. :rolleyes:

My boys don't normally wear hats, so we've never really had to deal with this issue.

But, I would much rather see someone wearing a hat in a restaurant than to see them lay their dirty, sweaty hat on the table. :sick: I know not everyone does that, but I have seen it.

Personally, I'm a little appalled by some of the comments on here suggesting that one can determine someone else's entire upbringing and character simply based on the fact that they are wearing a hat in a restaurant. :rolleyes:

There's a guy with his (I assume) wife and daughter sitting a few tables away from me in a restaurant right this second. He's wearing a baseball cap and it doesn't seem to be bothering any person in here. It's a medium priced Greek restaurant with a busy dinner crowd. People are dressed like everything from what the CEO of IBM might wear to very casual. No one is giving Mr. Hat any dirty looks at all.

Very refreshing.

There's a guy with his (I assume) wife and daughter sitting a few tables away from me in a restaurant right this second. He's wearing a baseball cap and it doesn't seem to be bothering any person in here. It's a medium priced Greek restaurant with a busy dinner crowd. People are dressed like everything from what the CEO of IBM might wear to very casual. No one is giving Mr. Hat any dirty looks at all.

Very refreshing.
Now you see Buddy, this is part of the problem. No one has said anything about giving dirty looks or saying something to someone. Most of the people have just stated that they believe men should remove their hats and that's the extent of it. I did see a post where someone wanted it mandatory, but that view is in the minority. No Spanish Inquisition, just an opinion stated. If your opinion differs, that's great diversity makes the world go round.

I work at a buffet restaurant and must tell you all that a hat helps keep hair out of your food. Many men do take their's off when they come to eat but it's kind of ironic that all employees must wear a hat at all times to prevent hair in food.

Now you see Buddy, this is part of the problem. No one has said anything about giving dirty looks or saying something to someone. Most of the people have just stated that they believe men should remove their hats and that's the extent of it. I did see a post where someone wanted it mandatory, but that view is in the minority. No Spanish Inquisition, just an opinion stated. If your opinion differs, that's great diversity makes the world go round.

Amen to that.

I don't mind if people wear hats at the table. I'm more concerned about the out of control kids, especially at character meals. When your turn is done, keep your hat on and your kids at your table so my kid can enjoy his turn. LOL

I don't think I ever even paid attention enough to notice if people are wearing hats or not.

There's lots of interesting info out there about the reasons for removing one's hat in a variety of situations, from the playing of the national anthem to passing a lady in a corridor. It's all extremely arbitrary and a little bit ludicrous IMO. I also don't feel people can pick and choose which hat "rules" they want to follow. If you're going to stick with the "no hats indoors/ata restaurant cause it's disrespectful" thing, then you have to go with all of them, like removing a hat when speaking/meeting with a lady (with a flourish and in a flirtatious manner according the Miss Manners)...and the "rules" get more fuzzy and arbitrary from there.

Which is why I find it easier to abandon all the nonsensical hat rules (and avoid wearing them altogether). besides, nothing more enjoyable then having to see your DH/DS's sweaty hat hair all throughout your meal.

In our house growing up, a hat was taken off for all the examples you mentioned. We don't pick a choose. Once we're inside, the hats come off. If the ladies if the house were wearing hats that could easily be removed, they came off too. Yes, sometimes I've worn a hat that required hat pins and then they stayed on. If the men are wearing hats and meet a woman somewhere out, the hat is doffed. In restaurants, homes, restaurants, the hat is removed entirely. That's how we were brought up. Does it ruin my day if others don't follow "our" rules. No. The main thing is our family follows them. What others choose to do is their business.

If something makes no sense it kinda stands on its own. Removing your hat to honor one's country ≠ removing your hat at Chef Mickey's. Or any other restaurant at WDW outside of Signatures in the resorts.

My point, which I feel was quite clear, was that one removes their hat to show respect during the Anthem. Does it bother me if people are wearing a hat at Chef Mickey. No. But no one at my table would be wearing a hat and if they were, they'd be asked to take if off. I'd never ask a stranger to take off a hat, it's none of my business what they choose to do. As long as the people at my table are doing the right thing, that's all what matters to me :)

From the same group of people who decided these things were bad etiquette too....

VictorianDress.jpg

rosa_parks1956_200-debae3e82bb7e53e422392629f96fa7171267c41-s6-c30.jpg

biracial-couple.jpg

and this was ok-

black-and-colored-drinking-water1.jpg

:sad2:

Excuse me if I don't give two cares about what those same people thought about wearing hats indoors.

Evolve.

From the same group of people who decided these things were bad etiquette too....

:sad2:

Excuse me if I don't give two cares about what those same people thought about wearing hats indoors.

Evolve.

You seriously want to equate people saying hats should be removed indoors to racisim? I'm surprised this has become such a heated debate, mostly from people who have no problem wearing hats indoors. You don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with you. But putting removing hats and racisim in the same bag is wrong. Removing or keeping on a hat isn't hurting anyone.

You seriously want to equate people saying hats should be removed indoors to racisim? I'm surprised this has become such a heated debate, mostly from people who have no problem wearing hats indoors. You don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with you. But putting removing hats and racisim in the same bag is wrong. Removing or keeping on a hat isn't hurting anyone.

Same people and same thought process that created one created the other.

It's about people wanting to control people and making them do what they think is "right".

Is wearing a hat indoors (or raising your pinkie for tea time) as bad as the examples above? No, but came from those same people and their same line of thinking.

We will control you and make you conform and submit to our will.

Evolve. No one owns you or controls you... or at least they shouldn't.

*I rarely wear a hat and WDW is one of the few places where I may or may not wear one.

I'm sorry but I find that a very strange way to comparing two very different situations. Removing a hat comes from an old tradition from when Knights would raise their face coverings as a mark of respect. As time evolved, the removal of a hat was also about hygeine. If its about control, then I assume you do wear a hat for the anthem? You also shouldn't say please and thank you. Or hold a door open for a lady (or a man). You also shouldn't say sorry if you run into someone. Why do we do these things? Manners and respect. Everyone is brought up differentially. If you choose to wear your hat indoors, by all means. I don't and I don't care that you do. Do I personally think its rude. Yes I do. But it won't ruin my meal or day and I'm not sitting there thinking "Oh they're terrible people wearing hats indoors." No one is controlling me. I'm choosing to remove my hat because I feel its the right thing to do.

It's about people wanting to control people and making them do what they think is "right".

Is wearing a hat indoors (or raising your pinkie for tea time) as bad as the examples above? No, but came from those same people and their same line of thinking.

*I rarely wear a hat and WDW is one of the few places where I may or may not wear one.

BeerMe said:
I haven't seen one of these threads in a long while so I'll start one. I wear ball caps all the time. When we go out to eat I usually take it off when we sit down to eat, but not always. At Disney TS restaurants, I'm usually dressed more casually and pretty much always take off my hat. My head is a high gloss though and that may bother other guests. At signature restaurants I always take off my hat before we even enter the dining area.

OK. That's what I do. What do you do and what do you think is appropriate?

DS always wears a hat and shorts unless its a wedding or funeral. Lol. That's just him. If it is required that he remove his hat. Like CG he will. Of course. But I hardly recognize him!

And I don't agree with those who say a person "doesn't have proper manners" if they choose not to remove their hat inside a restaurant. To me, proper manners are being polite, saying "please" and "thank you", letting someone in line behind you go ahead of you if they have one or two items to check out and you have a cart full. Things like that. I wouldn't consider someone not removing their hat to be without manners. Obviously, their view of removing their hat or not just differs from yours. No big deal.

I totally, completely agree with this!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

My DS4 has no hair, and scars on the top of his head, due to a burn from an accident when he was 1. So, he wears a hat almost 100% of the time he is awake. (He does remove it for prayer and the National Anthem.) First, for protection - his scalp is very fragile and the slightest bump will cause him to bleed. Second, for self-conscious reasons - people are rude. So, he is allowed to wear a hat at dinner. Usually it is a nice cap or a brimmed hat, rarely a baseball cap, but occasionally. Should he (at 4) be considered selfish or rude? Should I be told I am not raising him right because I don't want him to have to put up with the comments and stares from the people at the next table? (Maybe if those people who are whispering about him were raised right...) Instead of judging people as lazy or rude, maybe consider for a moment that there may be other circumstances behind their hat-wearing.

(Stepping off my mama-bear box now.)

Guess the people who are against all hats while eating have chosen not to acknowledge your post. Point is, stop judging others! Hugs to you and your son:hug:

Uncleromulus said:
Times and "standards" change I guess. I used to work in a Funeral Home and saw some folks visiting AND at the actual funerals in shorts, t-shirts, and jeans.

Ditto as to the last 2 weddings I attended--a lot of jeans, t-shirts shorts and tennis shoes.

So I guess none of us should be too suprised (regardless as to how we feel) seeing it in restaurants.

Even the Disney Cruise line is now allowing shorts in their TS onboard restaurants---and some reports of folks even in bathing suits being allowed in.

But they attended and I am assuming respected the situation. So who really cares what a person wears. Maybe they couldn't afford 'dress clothes'. And if it was required. Wouldn't have come at all. As long as everyone is acting appropriately. I really don't care how they dress!

Guess the people who are against all hats while eating have chosen not to acknowledge your post. Point is, stop judging others! Hugs to you and your son:hug:

I didn't see the original post. Under these circumstances, I completely understand keeping a hat on. I'm not judging people who choose to wear hats - it's their choice. However it is something as a family we would never do. If anyone came into our home and didn't remove their hat, they would be asked to. If we are dining with something and they had a hat, I would ask them remove it. If they're at another table, that is their business. I'm not judging them, odds on I won't even notice them and even if I did, I wouldn't really care. However if someone asks me (like in this thread) then yes, it is rude to keep a hat on. Clearly, I'm not including specific examples like this womans son. I totally understand, my brother has autism so there are examples.

Considering the topic I thought this was an interesting post on Disney Dining..
http://www.disneydining.com/minding-your-manners-with-the-disney-dining-plan/

:thumbsup2 Great article. I remember how exciting it was as a child to get really dressed up and go out to dinner with the family. Even if it wasn't a really expensive place, we always had to get dressed up. :) It was fantastic and we still do this today, even at WDW with Signatures and even some non signatures.

Give us a break. This comment and the accompanying pictures are illogical and insulting. Controlling you is not anyone's goal. Etiquette standards are suggestions. I don't tell you what to wear because I don't own the joint you are frequenting, but I certainly am well within my rights to maintain my standards and dislike yours.

Since you are so against control, should we suspend laws against murder, theft, and rape? After all, those rules do control people.

Evolving means moving forward, not backwards. I don't know about you, but I don't want to return to eating with my hands by a fire and burying the bones nearby. So watch what you consider evolution. Not everyone is going to interpret your definition of evolving the same way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter