• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has Nassau improved any since 2011?

AmberHeartsDisney

DIS Veteran
When we took our first Disney cruise in 2011,Nassau was one of the ports. We had read online before we went that is was not going to be the nicest place but I was sorta shocked when I got off the boat.

At the time the area where you walk through to enter the Island was being redone and people had these make-shift stand set up all over. It was pretty cool to see the stuff the locals made but I did not enjoy when they ran up and started putting necklaces on me. I don't like stranger touching me.

We were trying to find the Starbucks so we could pick up my FIL a collectors mug from the Island and I was really surprised to see just how crappy the area was taken care of. The sidewalks were literally krumping off pieces as we walked around.

After we got the mug we hit up a few local shops and high tailed it back to the ship.

We have another cruise set for December 2015 and my husband wants to get a mug for himself. At least I know what I am getting in to this time.:confused3

Was in Nassau last Friday. Compared to 2011 and 2010 (we were there right after Hurricane Irene in 2011) I honestly have to say yes. It actaully looks like there is a serious effort underway to clean things up. There is a lot of construction going on and some of the seedy elements weren't as visible.

That doesn't mean it is the nicest port you will find. You still need to run the gauntlet of hawkers pushing things and that in itself wears thin quickly. Having been back, I would be quite content not to stop there again for 3-4 years if possible.

We were parked next to the Dream (on NCL Getaway). Top deck of the Dream looked very busy. If we were on the Dream we probably would have stayed on board as well.

Was in Nassau last Friday. Compared to 2011 and 2010 (we were there right after Hurricane Irene in 2011) I honestly have to say yes. It actaully looks like there is a serious effort underway to clean things up. There is a lot of construction going on and some of the seedy elements weren't as visible.

That doesn't mean it is the nicest port you will find. You still need to run the gauntlet of hawkers pushing things and that in itself wears thin quickly. Having been back, I would be quite content not to stop there again for 3-4 years if possible.

We were parked next to the Dream (on NCL Getaway). Top deck of the Dream looked very busy. If we were on the Dream we probably would have stayed on board as well.

If my husband didn't want that silly mug I wouldn't get off either.:thumbsup2

See if you can get him one off ebay. :rotfl: Then give it to him on the cruise. Just kidding.

They do still bug you to buy their tours, taxi rides, etc... When we were there in May we were SO ready to get back on the ship not long after we got there. We will go back again but only because if they get too annoying we know we can easily just leave and go back to the ship. I didn't see it before this year and I thought it was really run down looking. Hard to imagine it looking worse. It sure makes me appreciate home.

See if you can get him one off ebay. :rotfl: Then give it to him on the cruise. Just kidding.

They do still bug you to buy their tours, taxi rides, etc... When we were there in May we were SO ready to get back on the ship not long after we got there. We will go back again but only because if they get too annoying we know we can easily just leave and go back to the ship. I didn't see it before this year and I thought it was really run down looking. Hard to imagine it looking worse. It sure makes me appreciate home.

Its their government that doesn't do anything to fix it up. They get money from the ship ports, right?

ptcbass said:
Hard to imagine it looking worse. It sure makes me appreciate home.

Trust me. We were on the Dream and docked 24 hours after hurricane Irene hit it - and it looked a lot worse than what I saw last week.

Last week they had the main entry building you used to have to go through closed off and it appears to be undergoing a rather extensive refurb. There is a lot of open air stuff set up right now. Looks like it will be months before they get things open again. Of course on island time that could be years.

You have to think the cruiselines are putting pressure on them for changes. Between the post cruise surveys, and the fact they track everyone who gets on and off the ships they have enough ammunition to back up a demand for improvements.

IMO it is still a "pit". We stay on the ship or go to Atlantis.....it is a shame really for the government can make a lot of money but I guess everything is on "island time".

Go to Blue Lagoon or go on a great snorkel catamaran. Tons to do without dealing much with Nassau city. Rum cakes and a straw Ariel bag is the extent of my Nassau experience. Went twice in two different trips in 2013 and planned a big family return trip in 2014. If I went back in 2015, that would be fine too. Sis said Stuart Cove was one of their best dives. Bahamas offers beautiful water. Who needs a city.

I've docked in Nassau three times and agree. It's not my favorite port. The best time we had was an excursion with Sandy Toes to Rose Island. You can't book it through Disney though, so I don't know if it fits with your docking times.

We did it while on a Carnival cruise. We took a taxi to Paradise Island and got on a boat. It was a brisk ride to Rose Island where we enjoyed snorkeling and an amazingly lovely beach. They also have a cash bar. It was completely relaxing.

Other than that, Nassau is 'meh' for us. We don't even enjoy Atlantis much.

I am glad they are finally doing something to make it look better. I will find out in May 2015 (or sooner if I can figure something out). :)

I would imagine that somewhere somehow all of the unhappy comments about Nassau would get back to the cruise lines and if there are enough people that complain about it something might could get done. Shoot, the cruise lines could probably afford to pitch in and fix it up (not that they should have to).

Not really. We hardly ever get off there. It's actually the perfect day on the ship!! However, last year, I took my grandmother on a quick 3n trip on the dream to Nassau and CC. She'd never been out of the country, so I wanted her to see Nassau. We booked a $30 Disney port adventure "tour of Nassau" and I have to say it was quite nice! About 3 hours long, saw all the major sites and it was in an air conditioned bus with a funny guide. So if you HAVE to see the port-that would be my suggestion.

After hearing how locals will touch and grab you to buy their stuff i have no desire ever to leave the boat. We stayed on board and had a great time.

Disney used to go to Freeport in the Bahamas. Not that it's much better, but I'd prefer Freeport over Nassau. May not have a lot to do there, but I like quiet. I also can't stand the constant pestering they do. I know...that's how they make money.

Not really. We hardly ever get off there. It's actually the perfect day on the ship!! However, last year, I took my grandmother on a quick 3n trip on the dream to Nassau and CC. She'd never been out of the country, so I wanted her to see Nassau. We booked a $30 Disney port adventure "tour of Nassau" and I have to say it was quite nice! About 3 hours long, saw all the major sites and it was in an air conditioned bus with a funny guide. So if you HAVE to see the port-that would be my suggestion.

We took a taxi last time we were there. It was a old van with the springs in the seat poking you in the butt and no A/C and it was so hot inside. Then he made us sit and wait to see if he could get more to ride. We were SO ready to get out of it. This left me wondering if you book a tour through Disney who does it? Do you get these same people with the old vans and no AC or something nice to represent Disney?

We took a taxi last time we were there. It was a old van with the springs in the seat poking you in the butt and no A/C and it was so hot inside. Then he made us sit and wait to see if he could get more to ride. We were SO ready to get out of it. This left me wondering if you book a tour through Disney who does it? Do you get these same people with the old vans and no AC or something nice to represent Disney?

I have heard that before about the taxi system there. No thanks!

We did a Disney sanctioned port adventure and the van had ok seats and ac. The van wasn't full and the guide didn't care- everyone had pre-booked and we were all from the Disney ship. I think they try to vet these tours and only choose the best and safest. We don't always do Disney port adventures but in a port like Nassau-I figured this was best. :)

We did a Disney sanctioned port adventure and the van had ok seats and ac. The van wasn't full and the guide didn't care- everyone had pre-booked and we were all from the Disney ship. I think they try to vet these tours and only choose the best and safest. We don't always do Disney port adventures but in a port like Nassau-I figured this was best. :)

After visiting I don't think I would like to do a tour unless it was booked through Disney. I did see some nicer vans and wondered about them - especially considering what we were riding in. :rotfl:

I think it is important to remember we are visiting a foreign country and not stepping off the Monorail on to Main Street at WDW. I remember hopping in a cab in Freeport 25 years ago. That was a wild ride. Nassau was a much nicer stop back then.

A couple of years ago our van driver on the way back from Atlantis (DCL dolphin excursion) stopped to buy what I hope was a small foil wrapped burrito from a guy on a street corner. It was either that or a rather large smoking device...

We did indeed get a bit pestered on our way back into the terminal. I think you're going to see some of that no matter what, but I didn't find it to be uncomfortable. And now, thanks to Nassau I have an incredibly diverse collection of cheesy shot glasses!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter