• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has it always been this way?

JEWLSVERN

Mouseketeer
I had made my ADRs a few weeks ago but now we are throwing around the idea of my ILs coming. We are not sure yet as my FILs health is up and down. But I decided I should go and make ADRs for 8 in case they could come. When I went to make them it would not allow me to make a new ADR until I cancelled the old one. I was making them for the same restaurant, near the same time. I don't remember it being this way when we went in 2010. Is this a new thing since the credit card charge?

So since I had to cancel my ressies for 6 if it turns out to not be 8 can we show up as 6?

It's always been this way. You can't just add people to a reservation. You have to cancel the old one and make a new reservation for the new party size.

Makes sense, because there actually has to be availability for the extra people before you can add them.

It is much easier to show up with fewer people than with more. Always make your reservations for the number of people who MIGHT be there. You do have to remove them if you have CRT or a dinner show because those are prepaid. Otherwise, you can just show up without the extra people.

It has not always been that way, but the change took place some time ago. Many guests were making multiple ADRs for the same time at different restaurants. They would wait until that day to decide where they wanted to eat...thereby keeping the ADRs at the other locations from guests that truly wanted them. Now there must be at least 2 hours between ADRs or you are forced to cancel one before booking the other.

It is always better to make your ADRs for the maximum possible number you will have. You can always show up with less (with no penalty) but it is difficult, if not impossible, to show up with more at many locations.

It's always been this way. You can't just add people to a reservation. You have to cancel the old one and make a new reservation for the new party size.

Makes sense, because there actually has to be availability for the extra people before you can add them.

But it has not always been necessary to cancel one reservation before booking another for the same time.

That is true, but Disney wants to crack down on persons holding multiple reservations for the same time because they can't decide which one they want. The way to handle this is the check availability for the new party size BEFORE you book the new reservation. If you are online, then book the new one and the system will prompt you to cancel the old one. But no, you cannot hold two reservations at the same time, one for 8 and one for 6, just because you don't know how many will show up. Always book the larger number.

You've never been able to just add more guests to the same reservation though.

That is true, but Disney wants to crack down on persons holding multiple reservations for the same time because they can't decide which one they want. The way to handle this is the check availability for the new party size BEFORE you book the new reservation. If you are online, then book the new one and the system will prompt you to cancel the old one. But no, you cannot hold two reservations at the same time, one for 8 and one for 6, just because you don't know how many will show up. Always book the larger number.
You've never been able to just add more guests to the same reservation though.

Right...that is what I explained above. I believe, however, that the OP was asking if you always had to cancel one reservation before making another.

And I thought they were asking why they can't add people.

But yes, now you must cancel a reservation before you can book another at the same time.

When you go to make the new reservation you must cancel out the conflicting one. You will not lose the new one because it is being held while you cancel the conflicting one. We added my mother in law last year and it messed all of our adr's up. A few of them were were not willing to give up and she was going to eat on her own. I stopped by the location mid day and the hostess was able to pencil her in for us.

If you're worried about losing your ressie just call. I was able to get one of mine changed from 5 to 2 people. I did not want to risk losing my res.

I was able to do all but 2 so far. Our arrival night all they have is 9:20 at Ohanaandthat is much to late for y kids. ILs have to fly from CA so would probably not be in u til really late so not too worried about that one.

Our Mama Melrose is only available to early. Right now we have 6:30 on a 7pm park closing. They only have 5-5:30 right now. I don't want to lose that last park hour to eat. I would love a 6:45 or later. I'll just keep checking.

I make new reservations without canceling my other ones all day long on my phone, but if I use the computer or ipad I would have to cancel the old reservation beforeaking mew one close to that time.

I make new reservations without canceling my other ones all day long on my phone, but if I use the computer or ipad I would have to cancel the old reservation beforeaking mew one close to that time.

Sounds like you are logged in to a different account on your phone than on your computer or iPad. Or your phone is very lucky indeed to be able to skirt the rules! :thumbsup2

Sounds like you are logged in to a different account on your phone than on your computer or iPad. Or your phone is very lucky indeed to be able to skirt the rules! :thumbsup2

Must be a lucky phone because it's the same account. I don't know.

The forced cancellations were added with the previous release of the online ADR system (so, not the one you see today, but the one that came before it, which came out after 2010...) It typically checks for a reservation within a couple hours (it's inconsistent) of the one you're trying to make. It doesn't always work on the browser app, and the MDX mobile app is typically quite wonky with much of the ADR functionality (as noted above.)

As far as showing up with 6 for an ADR of 8, that is fine. Unless it's a prepay in full location (CRT, Spirit of Aloha, Hoop de Doo, etc) there won't be any issue seating a smaller party. Even at locations with a cc-guarantee, you will not be charged showing up 2 short (or 7 short), so no worries there either. Again, only the full prepays matter for this.

(As a note, I've shown up 1 short at several ADRs over the year, as the system doesn't like to give solo diners good times very often. There has never been an issue at any character meal, signature restaurant, or anything!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter