Has Epcot reached a new level of depressing?

Epcot is still my favorite park right behind MK. I enjoy going there the most during my trips because I just love the layout and everything to see and do. It isn't depressing to me. But I do completely agree with you on Norway... I don't think I'll ever get over that one. I never even go near UoE anymore and can't even tell you the last time I went inside that building... I wish they'd do something with that. The park needs something MORE. Mission Space just isn't cutting it and I have only been on that one time and never again- I don't care if there's a green side, pink side or blue side to it... Never again. It needs another "thrill" type ride and I am sure we'll see one in the future. I love the restaurants and small little shows in the countries. Even with these few things I don't go on, I still love Epcot. I always manage to make my way there at least 4 times a trip and I really enjoy it whether it's for a half day or just an evening. Epcot is really amazing at night.

Not at all -- any time Epcot starts to get a little bit boring, I find a quick trip to any one of the countries in World Showcase can help cheer me right up.

Epcot, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:
- Frozen Gran Marnier
- Frozen Grey Goose
- 40 different kinds of sake
- German beer
- Chinese beer
- Japanese beer
- Canadian beer
- (yes, even) American beer
- Mexican beer
- Margaritas
- Cava del Tequila
Sensing a trend?

Take any one of those rides, add an ounce and a half (maybe three ounces) of ethanol, and those experiences transform in weird and mysterious ways.

Even Eric Idle is funny after a few beers. Captain EO -- absolutely hilarious! Living with the Land is very amusing (but it's bad form to puke in the river).

Try it, maybe you'll like it.

Epcot is appealing to us when there is an event going on like Flower and Garden, Food and Wine Festival or Christmas time. We still feel it's okay without the events, too. We like getting immersed into the different countries atmospheres. We take our sweet time in the different countries. We like looking for hidden mickeys, too.

I will say we are going less and less to Disney World, now. We would go every year and now it seems about once in five years.

Epcot is our family favorite.
They may have the Grapefruit Beer at your local beer store but not the awesome Biergarten waiter who very kindly insisted I try it. Now when I drink it on my deck it brings back happy Disney vacation memories.
Is Epcot in need a of refresh as far as innovations is concerned. Yes!
But what I love the most about Epcot is walking from country to country and just taking a moment to observe how creative Disney is with the designs and theming.
I would say to folks who don't like Epcot - take a minute, slow down, chat with a CM, explore a shop or two, and watch a show. And have a grey goose slush followed by a grapefruit beer while doing a slow evening stroll thru the worlds.

For us, we are done with Epcot for now.

It is just too much walking for the amount of rides and attractions that we enjoy. Illuminations isn't our favorite nighttime show. No daytime parade. Even the two big rides are kind of meh to us now.

But I can totally get how some folks would completely love it.

The other thing is, we don't drink, so a lot of the appeal of World Showcase and the festivals isn't there ;)

We'll be back once they open the Frozen ride to see how that is.

IMO what's depressing is when an attraction runs its course. Honey I Shrunk the Audience at one time had a long line. I remember the last time I saw it the room was pretty much empty, but did serve as a good place to cool off on a hot day. Although the line is still very long for Soarin' and I enjoy it, I'd really like to see a new film! Regardless of what comes and goes (I love change), EPCOT remains one of my favorite parks!

Different strokes for different folks. I also feel like everything is better when you're younger. Have you ever tried to watch a tv show from your childhood though? Sometimes it doesn't live up to what you remember. Of course there are certain attractions I prefer didn't change but Disney is in the business of making money and if they didn't update parks and their rides, they wouldn't make as much money. So when I am feeling nostalgic, I go and listen to the audio from those old rides or watch youtube videos. I still have a great time at WDW though when I get there.

Not at all -- any time Epcot starts to get a little bit boring, I find a quick trip to any one of the countries in World Showcase can help cheer me right up.

Epcot, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways:
- Frozen Gran Marnier
- Frozen Grey Goose
- 40 different kinds of sake
- German beer
- Chinese beer
- Japanese beer
- Canadian beer
- (yes, even) American beer
- Mexican beer
- Margaritas
- Cava del Tequila
Sensing a trend?

Take any one of those rides, add an ounce and a half (maybe three ounces) of ethanol, and those experiences transform in weird and mysterious ways.

Even Eric Idle is funny after a few beers. Captain EO -- absolutely hilarious! Living with the Land is very amusing (but it's bad form to puke in the river).

Try it, maybe you'll like it.

Larry, we're going to EPCOT together!

I been two Epcot twice, the first was in 2006 and the second was for my 2015 Senior Trip. I remember my experiences was mostly busy since the park was so huge and theirs so much stuff to do. This might have to do with me being carried around by a guide (My parents back in 2006 for my second trip, and my Guidance Counselor for 2015) and we mostly went there for dinner. When I come back to WDW as a lifetime job, then I might get the proper experience. I always felt Epcot should replace some of their old attractions in the future such as Soarin. But I love Epcot, especially its music!

I bet as soon as MK (hub and Adventureland) and AK (Avatarland and water show) are complete they will take all those ridiculous green walls and put them up in Epcot! Where else are they going to store them?!? Lol. Give Mjallemand a break. He has a lot of valid points!!!

I don't really get Mission Space as a spin ride to get you dizzy. That's like saying you can skip Tower of Terror because everyone has a drop ride and skip Rock n Roller Coaster because it's just another roller coaster which you can ride anywhere.

I thought I missed Horizons and World of Motion as well until I went back and watched them. Horizons was cool at the time but doesn't really hold up to modern rides and I don't even see it as cute nostalgia at this point. The only thing really gone I miss is the Wonders of Life pavilion but the reality was people were barely going in there anymore. My wife's first trip we went to see Cranium Command and there were 6 other people in the show. It was kind of depressing.

I don't like EPCOT and never have. Test Track is the only attraction I actually like there. Maybe throw Spaceship Earth in there too. World Showcase doesn't wow me like it wows other people. To each their own, Animal Kingdom is my second favorite park and a lot of people hate it.

Back in the day most everything at Epcot had a "sponsor". Those days are gone maybe that is part of the issue of why many of the pavilions haven't been updated.
I remember sponsors like
Living with Land - Nestle foods
Horizons - Chevy
Wonders of Life - Met Life
Imagination - Kodak
Universe of Energy - Exxon

Companies don't sponsor things like this anymore, it's to expensive with little return.
Epcot needs to rethink of a way to market future world with no sponsors.

World showcase is a big bar with entertainment. I love that they are having musical acts almost year round in the American Garden Theater, can wait to see some of the tribute bands they have for the summer when we are there in a few weeks.

We still love Epcot even with it's issues.

I would like to see the Caribbean Junkanoo bus back that had the bar on the back of it with rum drinks from the islands and a steel drum band on the roof, that was fun party that would pop up in world showcase at different locations.

I like EPCOT. I like the new, but I miss the old attractions. What I think I miss most is the educational/entertainment Body Wars and Cranium Command to mention two. I also miss the original Figment. Whose message helped nerdy kids like me feel less weird because we used our imaginations. The Land is still informative, but the Living Seas has nearly been stripped of its original mission. My parents felt justified for taking us out of school, because we could learn more in a day at EPCOT than 10 days at school. Now not so much.

I too miss Horizons and think Mission Space was a horrible replacement. I too miss World of Motion and prefer it to TT. Unlike others, I like both the old and current rides at the Imagination Pavillion. I also like Captain EO. I think Spaceship Earth with Judy Dench is good too, but I do wish DH had been able to experience the Walter Cronkite version (it was under refurb on our honeymoon, which was his first trip). I LOVE The Seas with Nemo & Friends and think it was a good update even though I have fond memories of Sea Base Alpha. DH and I have never been fans of Soarin, but that is a personal preference. I agree UoE and Circle of Life need an update. A few years ago DH and I took the UnDISCOVERed Future World tour and it was awesome! The guide pointed out a lot of details I have never noticed, so Epcot is still very much fun to me - not at all depressing.

Finally, in the world showcase, I love love love love the update of El Rio del Tiempo with the Three Caballeros (in fact I love it so much I had the BC pastry team make a Gran Fiesta-themed cake for me for my 30th birthday). I think Maelstrom was sorely in need of an update and am holding judgement on the Frozen refurb until I actually experience it.

I like EPCOT. I like the new, but I miss the old attractions. What I think I miss most is the educational/entertainment Body Wars and Cranium Command to mention two. I also miss the original Figment. Whose message helped nerdy kids like me feel less weird because we used our imaginations. The Land is still informative, but the Living Seas has nearly been stripped of its original mission. My parents felt justified for taking us out of school, because we could learn more in a day at EPCOT than 10 days at school. Now not so much.

To follow up on my previous post and this post from Thumper1066, according to our guide on the UnDISCOVERed Future World, all of the text from the exhibits at The Seas was kept and simply changed into Nemo font. He said the information presented is exactly the same as the original Seas just the font and graphics were changed. I would be interested to know if anyone else can confirm that this is true?

I think it's a work in progress. Epcot is unique in the sense that it shows how progress, timely or not, is the only way to the future. Considering Walt's creation of the Carousel of Progress many years ago, I think despite a few setbacks Epcot still lives up to its name. After all, nothing can be perfect. But with progress, what isn't perfect can be perfected. Just some food for thinking. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter