Has Epcot reached a new level of depressing?

Here's the thing.....

In Epcot I can just be. I love to wander. To meander. To soak in the atmosphere. There is "less" to do, and lots of ground to cover. I literally like to smell the flowers. While I also adore MK and AK, I love the vibe of Epcot. I could spend days on end there.

I know lots don't get it, but I guess I'm a die hard. :)

It's almost like trying to pick a favorite child..but I think I love Epcot best. Different things appeal to different people. So great that WDW has such a variety of parks to chose from.

Things I consider depressing are on the level of chronic illness, extreme financial problems, not enough to eat, car accident, addiction issues.
Is Epcot "depressing"?
If I am healthy enough and wealthy enough to BE IN Epcot, then I'm not in any way "depressed".....no.

This is such a sad thread to me. Epcot has always been my favorite park. I love MK, and there's so much to do there, but there is a special feel to Epcot that I've always been fond of...the music, the attractions and just the overall idea behind it. It makes me so sad to see it being neglected. :sad1:

Innoventions-this makes me the saddest, even as I type this out. I looked forward to going there, with so many memories of its heyday. I have pictures of my girls when they were little making paper, and playing games and doing the Fire drill game. I loved the house of the future and the hurricane house(think that's still there). But they have basically gutted it. I hope in my heart that they won't do something sad, like make it some character meet and greet or a restaurant with a buffet or something. It was one of the most interesting, inventive parts of the park, and most of it is gone.

The Land-I love the Land pavilion. To this day I love everything about it, and it's the place we spend most of our time when we're there. Living with the Land is my son's favorite ride, though I do miss the CM's giving a talk while the ride is moving.

Imagination-Oh, Lawd. Help me. They really screwed the pooch with this ride. I so miss the original ride. It was awesome, and I wish it were back. I'm all for needed change, but the ride is boring and they have basically stripped the life out of ride exit area. I really miss the old one. Thank heavens Captain EO is gone, at least.

Universe of Energy-Speaking of needed change...Ellen is great in this ride. It's funny and cute, but its embarrassing that a company like Disney allows a film to get that old and irrelevent in one of its main attractions in one of its major parks. The stuff they talk about with energy is so completely dated that I spend most of the film shaking my head. A new film seriously couldn't cost all that much compared to...say, building a Chinese theme park. :rolleyes1

Wonders of Life-Sad, pitiful. I echo what someone else said about Disney not wanting a delapidated park. He'd be outraged that a major pavilion sat empty for all these years when money was spent elsewhere when this should have been fixed first. That place has so much potential, it really does. Body Wars is still relevant and would just need an update. With the technology available in the fitness world, there is so much that could be done there. smh.

With TT and MS, I don't have a problem with either. They are thrill rides and attract some people who might not go to Epcot otherwise thinking it might be boring. I get it. And for goodness sake, do something with that empty Odyssey Restaurant! I have nice memories of that place and now it sits empty, sad and lonely. Either bulldoze it or do something imaginative with it.

I know a lot of people hate FEA, but at least its updated. What I don't get is, of all the things they could have spent money on in that park, THAT was what they chose?? Besides what I listed above, the Impressions de France movie is so so bad. I mean, its grainy and old and so out of date-the people in the film are wearing clothes from the mid 80's. They could make a beautiful film, and the theater is extremely old and beat up as well.

Why can't a poster state their honest opinions about a park without everyone flaming him? geez. We all have our own opinions.
But the title the OP chose is a question which is essentially asking others for their opinions. If people post opinions that are different from the OP's it's not really flaming, is it?

Personally Epcot is my least favorite park, my hubby and I would probably skip it all together but our kids (boys 9, 11,6) actually really like it. They find joy in rides that personally I consider boring and an excuse for me to close my eyes and take a nap! Lol
My oldest son may be the only person alive that genuinely found Captain EO to be entertaining and was crushed by it's closing.

All 3 boys love Spaceship Earth and one of the highlights of thier trip is to see their cartoon and the end of the ride..no kidding talk about it for months.

Every year we have to go ride "Mexican Donald" ride and my 9 year old can quote All kinds of obscure facts about the country!!

Malestrom : My kids were distraught over the frozen ride because they " loved" this ride. In thier words it turns backwards, has a drop, and trolls! Plus my 6 year old made us watch the film afterwards twice!!

They actually like the living with the land boat ride

They think Turtle Talk with Crush is a hoot. Love figment also!

They love Test Track and Misson Space but don't think Soaring is worth the wait because we waited 40 minutes with a fast pass the first time we came and they have never wanted to try again.

Personally I could skip all of the above and not feel like I was missing anything but that being said one of my favorite Disney memories was our second trip and we thought the monorail went to Epcot resorts also only to find out when we got to Epcot the only way to make our Cape May breakfast was to power walk all the way from the front of Epcot to the Beach Club. Needless to say by 11:00 am we were so tired we just hung out in World Showcase taking it easy and exploring the countries one at a time waiting for the characters come out and they got to see everyone that day. It was probably the most relaxed fun we ever had at the parks.

So while I can see both sides of the argument, I can also see that there is still magic for some people in unexpected attractions or places.

Spaceship Earth is definitely not what it used to be. Disney's intentions were to make the ride more interactive which they certainly did. And though I miss the days of the Jeremy Irons narration (he had the perfect voice for it), .
Actually, Walter Cronkite had the perfect voice for it.

Epcot never was what Walt envisioned-"community of Tomorrow" showcasing a futuristic city.
Combining "future world" with the "world showcase" still seems like two diverse ideas colliding and never did make much sense to me.
It's more like a theme park attached to a mall.

The Epcot of the 80s was more like a grade-school field trip to a museum with educational aspects of our world packaged into interactive venues. (Like Henry Ford Museum and Deerfield Village).

Since, attendance suffered, the imagineers abandoned the "plan" and added attractions that we wanted...thrilling rides like TT and Soarin-that have nothing to do with anything Walt imagined. They are just fun... and the crowds returned.
Now, they are reskinning old attractions into new ones to further immerse us in the movies (Nemo, Frozen) with as little cost as possible to them. I got to think Figment will soon be reskinned into some more popular movie scenes, keeping the same track.
It's a formula that's obviously working.
I just wish they'd put more thought into a grand, long-term plan and find some unifying themes for the park (or for any of the parks).

It's like you stole this post from my brain.

I was telling my wife the other day, how many times I was forced to visit Greenfield Village as a kid and that Epcot always felt like that to me when I visited as a kid.

As an adult, I still don't even like it that much. But I really must confess that, being (well) over 21 now, my parents, wife and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves there last month because of the alcohol selections-combined with not needing to drive anywhere. But there probably really needs to be more than themed binge-drinking to live up to a Disney theme park's standards.

If they continue the re-skinning and merging of Disney movies/characters with the countries, they might be able to trick kids into enjoying themselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter