• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone decorated their Magic Bands? Please show us the pictures!

In addition to the cracking/peeling question, what about the issue of spray sunscreen? We tend to vacation in summer and reapply sunscreen when waiting in line. I wouldn't bother removing my magicband to do this.

Those using acrylic sealer, how do you deal with that? I've read spray on sunscreen reacts with the sealer making the band sticky. I feel this is more of an issue than the potential for cracking around the holes.

Oh no! This is another good question. I want to paint ours, but not if it will be inconvenient for use or worsen the aesthetic.

I stayed with the nail polish (opi base coat) to start and seal mine mainly out of a lot of trial and error using it. My first few times cracked like mad but I learned if I put a super light coat on first (to give the paint something to grab onto) and then a super light coat after its very flexible and hasn't cracked.

With that said... someone mentioned the spray on sunscreen, I have not tried that since I don't use it but I guess you could try painting your nails, letting them dry and then spray the sunscreen on and see if it gets sticky?

I just finished 2 of my 4 bands, this is teacups (with no border) and peter pan. I have the worst time taking photos of these because of the glare!!! :)

Oh I did find something that REALLY helped me with some of the smaller details (like eyes), I used a Staedtler pigment liner (copic/sharpie could work too, this is just what I had) instead of my normal Golden's liquid acrylics and it worked great. Now, I tried this directly on the band and it just rubbed off, but if I put it on the acrylics it was fine and didn't smudge when I put the sealer on.

teacups.jpg
peter-pan.jpg

These look fantastic, thanks. Maybe I will try to work in a trip to the craft store to snag a staedler. I have nail polish, acyrlics, and modgepodge at home already. No leather paints, and my sealer spray might be too old to use (in fact, I think I threw it out after being disappointed with its performance recently). I don't have any base coat for nail polish either. In the last few years I have switched to buying exclusively Zoya and haven't really needed it. Would you recommend OPI over other brands?

I'm actually really adept at nail art- but I have little to no experience with acyrlics. (Art school dropout, anyone?) Hopefully it is much of the same. I have a huge set of nail art brushes that I plan on trying out with both to see what works.

@AlleyOop These are fantastic. Which brand base coat do you use? and then you use acrylics? We stopped using a base coat because of cracking. I believe something changed on the bands because years ago we used base coats and top coats and they barely cracked. Now they crack so much more so we stopped the base coat - but we use nail polish to decorate.

We are quickly approaching our trip in August so I did a few dry run drawings for our magic bands. The smaller band size is with the grey outer band removed. :)

magic-bands-1.png

You have a very distinctive style. A bit edgy without being derivative and just a wee bbit provacative. Perfect when combined with Disney themes. I think you may like the work of Camille Rose Garcia. She too is inspired by Disney and takes it in a modern street look. Influences of tattoo art like yours but with a trippy goth feel. Check her out online. www.camillerosegarcia.com I am a big fan of Alice in Wonderland and furst encountered her work at the Disney Family Museum a few years ago. They showed her Alice in Wonderland series juxtaposed with the Mary Blair originals on the opposite wall. The contrast was brilliant. I'd love to see more of your work too. Do you Etsy?

forboard.JPG

So, I just went ahead and took a stab at it. I think I could do better now that I have had the practice. (It's been yeeeeeearrrs since I painted/drew in this capacity). I tried enamels, acyrlic, nail polish and modgepodge. If I did it again, I would skip the enamel. It would be great for painting the band a solid color, but for detail it sucks, because you can't mix it with water and it dries really fast. Also, it didn't play well with the acyrlic, which is why the face is not right. All three mediums seemed to work well on the band- I did not use a base coat. I used a few layers of matte modgepodge for the top coat.

Now I really want to try another band using just acrylic. Also I need to find the mouse art supply store, because none of my brushes were small enough. I need a pin-head instead of a toothpick-head!

It looks pretty good from a distance though, and I guess I'm satisfied for a first attempt. I want to be next-level like some of y'all and enchantedbrush... but I imagine that comes with practice and trade secrets I have yet to learn.

I didn't paint the grey part b/c I think I might remove it- I don't need it to fit my wrist, but I was scared to tear it off.

View attachment 186838

Now I really want to try another band using just acrylic. Also I need to find the mouse art supply store, because none of my brushes were small enough. I need a pin-head instead of a toothpick-head!

It looks pretty good from a distance though, and I guess I'm satisfied for a first attempt. I want to be next-level like some of y'all and enchantedbrush... but I imagine that comes with practice and trade secrets I have yet to learn.

I didn't paint the grey part b/c I think I might remove it- I don't need it to fit my wrist, but I was scared to tear it off.

I love the background effect! And I am very impressed with your first attempt...I have completely cleaned off and redone my bands more times than I care to admit. lol

Use the thinner meant for whatever medium you are using, and you will find it much easier to do the details. I have used nail polish thinner and acrylic thinner (much better than water), and won't do it any other way now.

I bought a super cheap set of nail art brushes on Black Friday or some other sale day on Amazon that are pretty tiny. Michaels actually has some pretty small brushes that I like...they have really different handles on them, (maybe red/plastic?).

I like the gray part and always leave it on, even though I don't need it to fit. I do trim off a good chunk of the length on both mine and my husband's though. We are a small wrist family. I like to play around with different ways to paint it...sometimes striped, sometimes the same as the band so it kind of blends in, and sometimes just contrasting.

You have a very distinctive style. A bit edgy without being derivative and just a wee bbit provacative. Perfect when combined with Disney themes. I think you may like the work of Camille Rose Garcia. She too is inspired by Disney and takes it in a modern street look. Influences of tattoo art like yours but with a trippy goth feel. Check her out online. www.camillerosegarcia.com I am a big fan of Alice in Wonderland and furst encountered her work at the Disney Family Museum a few years ago. They showed her Alice in Wonderland series juxtaposed with the Mary Blair originals on the opposite wall. The contrast was brilliant. I'd love to see more of your work too. Do you Etsy?

Wow she is awesome!! Great style, I’m loving it. I don’t use etsy, I mainly post stuff on my instagram account (toritoons).

View attachment 186838

Great job!!! Its a weird medium to work with as everything seems to dry super fast on it. I always remove the grey part on mine because of small wrists and this was the first time I had a lot of trouble removing it. It left a ton of jagged parts which were a pain to remove. I ended up using toe nail clippers (the ones with the curve going outward) to clean it up.

As for tiny brushes, I use a combo of some super cheap ones from amazon and nail polish dotting er.. pen thingies! lol They look like they have little balls on the end of each side.

You can buy a spare magicband to practice on or just trace the one you have an draw it out on a piece of paper first, it really helps me!

i haven't read all 224 pages of posts but i did read quite a few. Didn't see anyone mention using puffy style fabric paint. was at the craft store and saw glow in the dark puffy paint and wasn't sure if that would work on the magic band material.

i haven't read all 224 pages of posts but i did read quite a few. Didn't see anyone mention using puffy style fabric paint. was at the craft store and saw glow in the dark puffy paint and wasn't sure if that would work on the magic band material.

I can't see why it wouldn't work but I'd probably keep the design closer to the center/top of the band then on the sides since they tend to get the most abuse. :)

I think there have been a few..one is on pg 114 of this thread.

WOW!!! It's been 3 years since our last family trip, and I just booked BLT for a week over July 4th 2017. Of course, I am already in planning mode and ran across this thread and decided to click on it. 3 days later, I am finally finished!! LOL!! Absolutely blown away by the talented people in this thread! You have inspired me! I would like to know how the bangle project worked out for HockeyMomNH? That was such a creative idea but I never saw a report back on whether or not it still worked. Your designs are amazing and I'm jealous of how often you go to Disney! :) The Disney magic and inspiration is alive and WELL in this thread!

LOVE your bands! Quick question about applying the white paint...what was the main reason for painting it white?. Aren't the glow plain skins already white? Did you paint it white before or after applying the skins? Thanks for the help! I was thinking of buying the glow skins then applying tattoos to it
Hi, I am sorry for the late response, I haven't checked here in a long time. I had the grey band and wanted the background to be as light as possible so that the glow would be at its max. I started with a base coat of clear on the grey and then used white on top of that. Then I put the glow skin on top of that and then the rest of my designs with a final clear base coat. They glowed really bright!

I have a quick question. I ordered stickers from magic your band. Some small spots do not stay down on band. It's not a big deal, except I'm worried about water getting under the stickers and them peeling off from the pool. So I had an idea. What if I went over the magic your band stickers with clear nail polish, a base like used when decorating the bands. Would this work to seal the stickers or would I mess them up? Anyone know? I'll try & post pics of the bands later, they are cute, imo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter