Has anyone decorated their Magic Bands? Please show us the pictures!

Really well as far as I could tell. I didn't inspect them to closely at the end of the trip, but neither my sister, niece or grand niece brought anything to my attention. My sister even accidentally swam with hers and that didn't cause any problems. They probably all showed signs if minor cracking around the holes, but that's fairly normal.
Whoops, I just re-read my post. It should have read 'they're stunning'! Which they are. Glad to hear they held up. I'd have worried the embellishments might have come off.

The colors are beautiful! Did you use acrylic paint? Base coat? Sealer? If so what brands and how did they hold up?
Thanks!! Oh and I LOVED your adventure band from an earlier post it's gorgeous!!
:)

Thank you! I use 1 coat of OPI Base Coat, then all acrylics (Combo of Liquitex and Goldens.. Craft acrylics are fine too, this is just what I had) and then I put 1 coat of the base coat on top. I found this to be the best option so they won't crack. :D

I have a customized "ladies sports watch" from the Disney store that is has rubber-like plastic band. I'm trying to test some of my glow paint and nail polish on the watch band in the hopes that it is similar to the Magic Bands. Does anyone have both? Are they the same material?
I don't have any croc type shoes. Is there anything else made of a similar material to the bands?
I tried nail polish on my Disney ladies sports watch, and after a few days it peeled off. I also tried using a base/top coat under and over the nail polish design and it also peeled off after a few days. Some glow paint I tried seems to be holding though.
People have reported good results on the magic bands with nail polish, so does this mean my watch is not a good sample test material? I'm not sure what else to practice on.

Hi all. Do you think these will stay on the bands with crazy glue? They're pea sized metallic confetti.

I think it was ArielRae who used nail polish with the confetti that she put on her band.

I have no experience with gluing anything other than some crystals to a band, (I used nail polish), but I have tried crazy glue on flexible items before without much success. It attached okay on some surfaces, but popped off after a bit of use so I wound up using E6000 for some things and jewel glue for other things.

I think it was ArielRae who used nail polish with the confetti that she put on her band.

I have no experience with gluing anything other than some crystals to a band, (I used nail polish), but I have tried crazy glue on flexible items before without much success. It attached okay on some surfaces, but popped off after a bit of use so I wound up using E6000 for some things and jewel glue for other things.

Of course! I forgot about E 6000. Thanks so much.

Hi all. Do you think these will stay on the bands with crazy glue? They're pea sized metallic confetti.

Yes I used the small metallic Mickey heads on my band. I made sure to use a good heavy coat of clear polish over them so they don't have any lips that would snag and get them pulled up by something. It held up good on the trip until my young DS started picking them off my band while he got figgety in line.

We are quickly approaching our trip in August so I did a few dry run drawings for our magic bands. The smaller band size is with the grey outer band removed. :)

magic-bands-1.png

We are quickly approaching our trip in August so I did a few dry run drawings for our magic bands. The smaller band size is with the grey outer band removed. :)

magic-bands-1.png

Those are AMAZING! My DH would love the PotC one and my DS#1 would want the Peter Pan one. You are a true artist and I love your interpretations of each theme. I have to ask- what do you do for a living? Because if it's not something art related it should be!

Those are AMAZING! My DH would love the PotC one and my DS#1 would want the Peter Pan one. You are a true artist and I love your interpretations of each theme. I have to ask- what do you do for a living? Because if it's not something art related it should be!

Thank you! I'm a web designer but I paint as a hobby :)

What is the general consensus on:

Most the most durable/least cracking/peeling medium?

Acrylic VS Nail-polish

Most durable/least cracking/peeling sealer?

Leather Sealer VS ModPodge

Thanks in advance! I've read through most of this thread and it seems like there are so many different approaches-I wish a poll could be posted.

Acrylic VS Nail-polish

Thanks in advance! I've read through most of this thread and it seems like there are so many different approaches-I wish a poll could be posted.

The problem with a poll is that most people haven't tried all of the different products.

I like acrylic leather paints/thinner and sealer over nail polish, (although I still sometimes use nail polish for accents sometimes), but I haven't tried ModPodge or some of the other things that other people have used and had success with.

I have tried other acrylic paints from the craft store (not the nicer artist paints), and I had problems with the texture and having it not look/feel the way that I wanted or blend like I wanted, but it did hold up well and has been pretty flexible. I just found the leather paints and liked them so I haven't bothered experimenting with anything else.

In addition to the cracking/peeling question, what about the issue of spray sunscreen? We tend to vacation in summer and reapply sunscreen when waiting in line. I wouldn't bother removing my magicband to do this.

Those using acrylic sealer, how do you deal with that? I've read spray on sunscreen reacts with the sealer making the band sticky. I feel this is more of an issue than the potential for cracking around the holes.

IMG_2660_zpsi4cxzoyb.jpg

My DD painted these with nail polish for when our older DDs were going to DW with family friends. This is Esmeralda.
IMG_2661_zpsfwkb7sem.jpg

Up - for our middle DD.
IMG_3377_zpsz4uflcwr.jpg

BB-8 for our friends' DD.

IMG_2728_zpst7lg7l5u.png

I love this picture. Here is all of them that my DD painted for their June trip. 4 of them were painted in January and the family has used them twice with minimal cracking. The Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Daisy were done in January for their 2 week trip. Then we used a nail polish clear coat on top. Now we used nail polish to decorate but an acrylic sealer and it worked great. We also bedazzle them and just use nail polish to keep them on and most of them stay fine. Maybe 1 or 2 fell off after a week.

Acrylic VS Nail-polish

I stayed with the nail polish (opi base coat) to start and seal mine mainly out of a lot of trial and error using it. My first few times cracked like mad but I learned if I put a super light coat on first (to give the paint something to grab onto) and then a super light coat after its very flexible and hasn't cracked.

With that said... someone mentioned the spray on sunscreen, I have not tried that since I don't use it but I guess you could try painting your nails, letting them dry and then spray the sunscreen on and see if it gets sticky?

I just finished 2 of my 4 bands, this is teacups (with no border) and peter pan. I have the worst time taking photos of these because of the glare!!! :)

Oh I did find something that REALLY helped me with some of the smaller details (like eyes), I used a Staedtler pigment liner (copic/sharpie could work too, this is just what I had) instead of my normal Golden's liquid acrylics and it worked great. Now, I tried this directly on the band and it just rubbed off, but if I put it on the acrylics it was fine and didn't smudge when I put the sealer on.

teacups.jpg
peter-pan.jpg

I stayed with the nail polish (opi base coat) to start and seal mine mainly out of a lot of trial and error using it. My first few times cracked like mad but I learned if I put a super light coat on first (to give the paint something to grab onto) and then a super light coat after its very flexible and hasn't cracked.

With that said... someone mentioned the spray on sunscreen, I have not tried that since I don't use it but I guess you could try painting your nails, letting them dry and then spray the sunscreen on and see if it gets sticky?

I just finished 2 of my 4 bands, this is teacups (with no border) and peter pan. I have the worst time taking photos of these because of the glare!!! :)

Oh I did find something that REALLY helped me with some of the smaller details (like eyes), I used a Staedtler pigment liner (copic/sharpie could work too, this is just what I had) instead of my normal Golden's liquid acrylics and it worked great. Now, I tried this directly on the band and it just rubbed off, but if I put it on the acrylics it was fine and didn't smudge when I put the sealer on.

teacups.jpg
peter-pan.jpg

These are amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter