• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone decorated their Magic Bands? Please show us the pictures!

I think you can cover the Mickey as long as it's not metal. My brother had a metal button over his and the band would open the hotel room door, but wouldn't read at the parks. Other people have put gems and stickers over the Mickey and had no problems.

I think you can cover the Mickey as long as it's not metal. My brother had a metal button over his and the band would open the hotel room door, but wouldn't read at the parks. Other people have put gems and stickers over the Mickey and had no problems.
Great! Thanks!

I finally convinced my mom to come to WDW with me and my DD15 in Feb. She requested a character from a classic Disney movie, and she is a sewer, so here is what I came up with.

Omg I LOVE this band!!did you use pant? Or nail polish? I'm also a sewer. I have a sewing assessment to compleat when I go down for vacation to try and get a seamstress job there. This is the cover of my portfolio I made with vinyl and embroidery :) I'm thinking of borrowing your design or doing something similar. I love it!!
image.jpg

So I'm thinking of covering my magic bands with thin layer krylon crystal clear acrylic. Has anyone tried this? Seems like everyone uses nail polish?

Those bands look terrific! I love the movie strip one especially.

I have been using Plaid clear acrylic sealer in gloss. I got it at Walmart. It seems to be holding up really well and is much more flexible than the nail polish.
Lol I just posted the acrylic question when I read what you wrote good to hear!

I finally convinced my mom to come to WDW with me and my DD15 in Feb. She requested a character from a classic Disney movie, and she is a sewer, so here is what I came up with.

Hope you don't hate me cause I loved your design so much! I am not a good painter. So I made a digital design like yours printed it on clear laser water-slide decal paper. Then Panted my band white with spray paint. Used a krayon white glow in the dark spray paint on top of that. Changed from a WHITE to a off white. Then put a coat of crystal clear acrylic spray. Then the water-slide decal on that and then few more coats of acrylic on that. I LOVE the way it turned out and it glows in the dark!
IMG_4402_zpsecplzpxw.jpg

IMG_4405_zpscqlpc3qe.jpg

Hope you don't hate me cause I loved your design so much! I am not a good painter. So I made a digital design like yours printed it on clear laser water-slide decal paper. Then Panted my band white with spray paint. Used a krayon white glow in the dark spray paint on top of that. Changed from a WHITE to a off white. Then put a coat of crystal clear acrylic spray. Then the water-slide decal on that and then few more coats of acrylic on that. I LOVE the way it turned out and it glows in the dark!
IMG_4402_zpsecplzpxw.jpg

IMG_4405_zpscqlpc3qe.jpg

It looks super cute. Nice job! My mom loved her band. She wore it last Feb when we were there and got lots of attention with it.

What is the best way to fill in the groove of the Mickey head on the bands?

I love this thread. I joined this board in order to comment on this thread. I wish I would have seen this last yr when I went to Disney World. I did paint our magic bands when we got a lot of attention. One of the cast member told us that she never saw anyone else paint their bands so I thought it was rare until I came across this board. I am currently working on the bands for this year!!!

I use nail polish. Several coats down in the groove. It dries fast and fills pretty good.

That is what my DD used. Guess she needs a more precise brush. It was mostly in the groove, but some got on the face and I just scraped it away w/ a toothpick.

Thanks!

That is what my DD used. Guess she needs a more precise brush. It was mostly in the groove, but some got on the face and I just scraped it away w/ a toothpick.

Thanks!

I've seen people say that wiping across it carefully with a little remover would leave polish in groove and remove the excess.

I was REALLY nervous to customize my magic band. I had a minnie slider on my first band and I LOVED it. However, this time, I wanted to try something new. I looked into mod podge, stickers, tattoos...and through a friend, settled on painting for the very first time! I used acrylic paint with an acrylic sealer. I'm happy with the outcome :D now I'm thinking about adding "hidden mickeys" in glow-in-the-dark paint so that it'll glow at night, even for a little bit :)

MyMagicBand.jpeg

I was REALLY nervous to customize my magic band. I had a minnie slider on my first band and I LOVED it. However, this time, I wanted to try something new. I looked into mod podge, stickers, tattoos...and through a friend, settled on painting for the very first time! I used acrylic paint with an acrylic sealer. I'm happy with the outcome :D now I'm thinking about adding "hidden mickeys" in glow-in-the-dark paint so that it'll glow at night, even for a little bit :)

View attachment 121066

Beautiful! I'm so nervous to do mine!

Has anyone tried crackle or shatter over their band? I only have 2 days and stupidly clicked on this thread and now am obsessed! You people have ruined me! :) We have a pink, a blue, a green, a yellow and an orange to decorate. I was thinking about doing blue shatter over the green for DD11. But can't afford the time for mistakes - any feedback?

Also, any concensus on what is the best way to get the band to glow in the dark? I bought what they had a Justice and Claires. Both are colored (pink, green, blue, orange) although I suspect they won't impart much color per se. I did get colors that go with our actual band colors. Is the paint from craft stores better?

Has anyone tried crackle or shatter over their band? I only have 2 days and stupidly clicked on this thread and now am obsessed! You people have ruined me! :) We have a pink, a blue, a green, a yellow and an orange to decorate. I was thinking about doing blue shatter over the green for DD11. But can't afford the time for mistakes - any feedback?
Acrylic paint is very forgiving. Don't like what you did? Wash it off or scrape or off with a nail. Once you're done, spray a couple of coats of an acrylic sealer like Krylon. I am on my 3rd day of curing though and I think it's just about done...the smell is almost gone.

Google is your friend...search crackle magic band and I'm sure you'll find something.

Also, any concensus on what is the best way to get the band to glow in the dark? I bought what they had a Justice and Claires. Both are colored (pink, green, blue, orange) although I suspect they won't impart much color per se. I did get colors that go with our actual band colors. Is the paint from craft stores better?
Ghost from Target works but it isn't transparent so you will see it over any decoration you have on your band. In order to get the paint to glow, you have to keep it under some light for a bit...so it won't last too long. I'd like to see if anyone else has any advice on glow in the dark paint.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter