Harry Potter- Wizarding World FAQ

Universal only has one drop off area, the 2 Universal parks are next to each other, not like Disney where you need to be dropped at a particular park.

Is it just the 3 of you or is there another adult? The 2 big rides, Escape from Gringotts and Forbidden Journey will probably be too tall for your 6 yo and possibly even your 9yo - FJ height restriction is 48" and Gringotts is 42" with an adult, 48" without an adult, if it is just the 3 of you, the child swap option might not be an option. If your girls are too short for those 2 rides, it will take a LOT of the pressure off any touring plans. The other 2 rides at Hodsmeade IoA are the Flight of the Hippogriff 36", and Dragon Challenge 54". Even if you can't ride FJ, you can still tour the castle in the queue, and that is a must to for a Potterhead. Dragon Challenge you can still walk into the first bit of the queue area and they have the car and the TriWizard cup.

If your 9yo is tall enough for FP, it has a couple of intense bits in it, giant spiders and swooping death eaters, though last time I went in Jan the death eaters didn't have their black cloaks on and weren't nearly as intense as they were with their robes on!

My husband is coming too. He is younger than me, so he was a child when HP came out, hence he's very excited. I think both of my girls meet the height challenge for FJ. I SO appreciate everyone's responses. Not surprisingly, I'm trying to make the most of our time (who isn't, right?), so any and all advice is welcomed with open arms. Can i bring food in? What about backpacks?

We did exactly this a few weeks ago (see my post above on 31 Aug). I checked to see which park had the early entry option for resort hotel guests and (as we could not use that feature) chose to start in the other park. If all things are equal, start with Gringott's though. We arrived by car at about 8:15am and still needed to buy tickets (it would have been better and cheaper to have had physical tickets in advance if possible). I would say that was a bit late, as the queue had already been admitted to the park when we got to the turnstiles at 8:45am, so I would suggest getting there a bit earlier so you are there before they admit people (i.e. in the line at least 30-40 mins before official park opening time).

Andre

Thanks for this VERY handy piece of advice! I would have never thought about the early entry option. Great tip. Also, thanks for the reminder about tix. Was going to wait and purchase there, now I think I will buy in advance. Much appreciated.

Thanks for this VERY handy piece of advice! I would have never thought about the early entry option. Great tip. Also, thanks for the reminder about tix. Was going to wait and purchase there, now I think I will buy in advance. Much appreciated.

The only reason we bought our tickets on the day is that we very nearly didn't go at all, as our planned day was the day a hurricane was due to hit so we didn't want to buy and waste a pre-purchased ticket that we wouldn't then be able to use. But in the end, it was a great day so glad we went when we did.

Andre

Ok y'all I need HELP! I'm trying to do a Disney/HP Wizarding World trip in December completely in secret from my daughters. I have never been to Universal, EVER. The oldest is a complete Potterhead and I want to make this happen.

So we can only do 1 day, I'm planning to get the hoppers so they can ride the HE. I understand that there are 2 "worlds," I need help figuring out which one to do first and where I should have an Uber drop us off (staying on Disney prop). What tour plan would you do to pack the most in? This girl is going to DIE when she sees it! She was Hermione for Halloween and her 9th birthday was HP.

I feel like I'm flying blind because I have zero experience with Universal. We're only going for our girls to visit HP, so I'm trying to figure out how we even get to Gringott's/Diagon Alley quickly through the parks.

Any insight/advice you can give would be so appreciated.
DD 6 yo DD 9 yo

we'e only ever gone for the wizarding world as well. twice. it's quite possible to spend the whole day in the wizarding areas and still have it be a full day. last time we went we did universal first to get to ollivanders first thing. my kid was dead set on getting picked for the wand choosing show so we made time for multiple trips through if needed. then we hit gringotts and the line wasn't bad since it was still early. being there at "rope drop" was a huge help. there is a single rider option for FJ but you'd skip the awesome queue which honestly shouldn't be missed. if the kids aren't tall enough, there's a walk through castle tour. i think they may have a child swap area too. the interactive wand and spell thing is really cool totally worth the effort imo. we hit diagon ally first since we knew it being newest would fill up fastest, the too the HE over to hogsmead, the back again to get souvenirs. it was QUITE packed in diagon ally by late afternoon. wait times for gringotts were just absurd. just fyi, everyone in knockturn alley is incredibly committed to the characters and they do it very well. i saw grown ups get freaked out and even my teenager got a little unnerved when a slytherin shop keeper tricked her into handing over her wand.

Okay so... I'm confused.. is Islands of Adventure different than the rest of the park. because are the Forbidden Journey and the Dragon Challenge in different parts of the park. Thank you! :confused3

Okay so... I'm confused.. is Islands of Adventure different than the rest of the park. because are the Forbidden Journey and the Dragon Challenge in different parts of the park. Thank you! :confused3

Islands of Adventure is separate from Universal Studios. The Forbidden Journey and Dragon Challenge are in the same part of Islands of Adventure though

I am taking a solo trip at the end of January to Orlando and was thinking of doing one day at Universal Studios. This thread is so long, I can't get through 68+ pages, sorry. So I apologize if this has already been asked.

I'm fairly certain that I won't be able to ride many of the rides due to my size. Which is fine - I'm prepared for that and working on it but don't know if I'll have come down in size enough by then to to be able to ride any of the big rides.

I'm most interested in the Harry Potter worlds if I go. Would it still be worth going even if I can't ride the big rides? It sounds like there is a lot of theming and shopping and stuff, but enough to do/see to make the ticket price worthwhile?

What do you think?

Try looking at a US park map. US has two parks: the Studios (confusingly called US) and Islands of Adventure (IoA).

Just like WDW, there are lands in both parks with assorted themes.

On top of that, each parks has a Harry Potter Land: Hogsmeade (w/Hogwarts) in IoA and Diagon Alley (has Gringotts) in US. T

o make things even more confusing, the two parks are connected- via a back exit- by an attraction called Hogwarts Express. you an ONLY go on that attraction if you have a hopper pass. (This is one more reason why I think a two day ticket is helpful.)

But look at a map it should all make sense.

#####

Last edited:
I am taking a solo trip at the end of January to Orlando and was thinking of doing one day at Universal Studios. This thread is so long, I can't get through 68+ pages, sorry. So I apologize if this has already been asked.

I'm fairly certain that I won't be able to ride many of the rides due to my size. Which is fine - I'm prepared for that and working on it but don't know if I'll have come down in size enough by then to to be able to ride any of the big rides.

I'm most interested in the Harry Potter worlds if I go. Would it still be worth going even if I can't ride the big rides? It sounds like there is a lot of theming and shopping and stuff, but enough to do/see to make the ticket price worthwhile?

What do you think?

That would be an individual choice for certain, but I would probably say yes. The preshow of both attractions is pretty neat, and both lands have many cool details to see. If you are a HP fan, and/or can appreciate seeing some of the magic from a kids' pov, even more a yes. (like the fun of seeing a child do a spell.)

I'm not HUGE potter fan, but I think the areas are very well done.

Also, US has ride seats for guests to try. I'm not absolutely certain they have them for every ride, but I think they were better than WDW.

Okay, here's the deal. Morning guests at US/IoA all head to HP first. I think others have probably already said onsite guests get early entry. If you are going off-peak December, crowds will be light. If you mean close to Christmas, being offsite could be a challenge.

While HP is a highlight of US, going for just HP is a little like going to MK and just staying in Tomorrowland. It goes against my nature to advise that approach.

Third, well, I've always tried to zig when the crowd zags. Early Entry encourages guests to start in HP. Actually, the best time of day to be in HP is the last half the day. It is least crowded and most magical.

If I was taking someone in late December: 1. I would opt to have my own car. 2. I would aim for 2 days. 3. I would make sure I spent the end half the day in HP. (maybe the morning as well- but certainly the 2nd half).

Getting a wand via Olivander's is very open ended. They take small groups at a time, and only one (or maybe 2) people per group get picked to get a wand. (er, to have the wand choose them) Others can buy a wand of their choice, but it isn't the same level of magic. The wand shop in IoA seems to always get a longer line than the US side. If you take two days approach, you can relax about getting a wand. Limited to one day...you could find yourself in a LONG line- and STILL not get chosen (by a wand). So the wand line is probably NOT a good way to start your HP time. We had great luck going around dinner time.

Once you have a wand, you will have a wand. On many rides at Us, guests must put all items in a locker. The lockers are free (for an hour), but guests with nothing extra have a much easier time getting around.(no purse, no backpack, no bag) Also, wands are about $50. the lands of HP are great, but most merchandise is a bit crazy over priced. Food in the HP area is a decent deal. Many of the HP foods are great themed fun, like Butterbeer. (though that one is very SWEET!) The ice cream shop in DA is great!

DO take time to look at details in both HP lands. It will be tough Xmas week though to really enjoy if very crowded.

The HP lands are BOTH in the BACK of the two parks. In August, we actually found it better to start with either Spiderman or Minions at the front of the park, THEN head to HP about an hour later. (I don't advise that option Christmas week- but early December that's the choice I'd pick.)

Compared to WDW, many rides at US/IoA area little more spin oriented. If you have motion illness, you might prefer closing your eyes a bit, especially on Forbidden Journey.

If you like Buzz/TSm at WDW, Men in Black is a better version of the same ride style, IMO.

I'm all about minimal waits but with FotLA, we didn't have to put much thought beyond what I typed above. The rest of the day, we mostly walked on everything except Gringotts in less than 10minutes. Even when the parks were pretty busy.

Do I get it that you think it's wasteful to just go for HP? Sure. I guess you would have to know my daughter. To say she is OBSESSED with Harry is a massive understatement. She's in 4th grade and is reading the series for a second time already-book 6 is nearly complete. She is very bookish and scholarly (like a certain young lady in the book). I want her to take as much time as she wants in HP Land. If we have time left to do other stuff, great! But we couldn't go to Orlando and not take her there. Her cat is even named Hermione if that gives you any indication. My 6 year old daughter has only watched the movies (for obvious reasons) and loves HP too. We will be there on December 21. I've been to Disney twice during the highly touted "off peak" time in early December and you're right, the lines are much shorter. I'm fully prepared for it to be very crowded. I know we are going during one of the busiest times, it was decided just recently that we should go since she's turning 10 a week after we are at Universal, and prices would go up for her tix.

We only have time to spend one day there.

Not for nothing, but HP is the only reason I started going toUniversal, and continue to go. Oh, I walk around some, but I can and DO spend full days immersed in HP world! (I'm 54, btw.)

I'm planning on doing exactly that. Going to Universal just for HP. I have to add that if Tomorrowland was as great as WWoHP, I would do that too.

Three Broomsticks or Leaky Cauldron?
Frozen, Hot or Cold Butterbeer?

Both, and frozen. The butterbeer ice cream is well worth a try too.

Although as with all questions like this, it's rather like asking someone else whether you should buy a blue car or a red one.

Andre

Huh, that isn't what I said at all.

But if that's what you read, um, okay.

At the end of the day, does it really matter?
I gathered that you thought we would be missing out if we saw just that part of the parks. I'm going to Universal for one reason. If she gets her fill and wants to other stuff besides HP..great. If she just wants to stay in HP the entire day...great. It doesn't matter to me either way.

Not for nothing, but HP is the only reason I started going toUniversal, and continue to go. Oh, I walk around some, but I can and DO spend full days immersed in HP world! (I'm 54, btw.)

I'm excited just to see her excited! She knows every last detail. It will be amazing to see it in real life as it looked in the movies

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter