Ham radio operators: Don't take your radios to Disneyland...

Update to this thread. I just visited Downtown Disney this evening and was questioned by a security supervisor. I carry my radio with me at all times. I hardly ever have problems. I show them my license and the radio and speak about ham radio in general answer any questions. This supervisor even raised his voice and became agitated. This shows a lack of training to me. He asked me I can listen to AM/FM radio, I said no just ham radio frequencies. He asked if I could listen to Police, I said no only ham radio. He asked if I can talk to other people in side the park, I said if there is another ham radio operator in the park then yes. He ask if I could talk to someone outside the park, I said yes if there was local repeater. He finally let me carry the radio into the park if I promised to not turn it on. I agreed.

It is Disney's right to deny me entrance to the parks on any grounds. I agree with them as of today, I will not be coming back, and will tell this story and encourage my friends to not go there also.

YOU ARE WARNED Disney does not like Amateur Radio!

Reactions: KVH
Fascinating thread! Thanks to each of the radio operators for your detailed explanations! Thanks to the board’s mods for allowing a “thread over time” to preserve the conversation and its history.

Update to this thread. I just visited Downtown Disney this evening and was questioned by a security supervisor. I carry my radio with me at all times. I hardly ever have problems. I show them my license and the radio and speak about ham radio in general answer any questions. This supervisor even raised his voice and became agitated. This shows a lack of training to me. He asked me I can listen to AM/FM radio, I said no just ham radio frequencies. He asked if I could listen to Police, I said no only ham radio. He asked if I can talk to other people in side the park, I said if there is another ham radio operator in the park then yes. He ask if I could talk to someone outside the park, I said yes if there was local repeater. He finally let me carry the radio into the park if I promised to not turn it on. I agreed.

It is Disney's right to deny me entrance to the parks on any grounds. I agree with them as of today, I will not be coming back, and will tell this story and encourage my friends to not go there also.

YOU ARE WARNED Disney does not like Amateur Radio!

It's your choice not to go back to DL, of course. As I mentioned before, Disney doesn't need a reason to ban something as long as the ban doesn't violate Civil Rights. But I do think it would be nice if they put Hams on their list of banned items so people would know ahead of time.

My assumption is that they have a concern about a ham interfering with security and/or someone with a 'nefarious plan' using hams to coordinate and carry out said plan. I know, it could happen with any kind of two way radio.

You and I know how much hams contribute, especially at big events like marathons, charity events, and during emergencies. Too bad more people don't realize it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter