Hair Braiding on Ship - Advice & Photos?

I'll post pics of DD later tonight but she did 6 braids with beads (3 on each side of her head). She did straight braids and not the cornrows. She was trying to decide and she sat and watched a 7 yo have her hair done. The poor thing was crying by the time she was half way through it. The mother just kept encouraging her, telling her that she looked great. The girl just kept begging her mother to let her stop. :sad2: She took one look at that kid and told me she only wanted braids and not the cornrows.

Braids for DD were $1 each including the beads. Best bargain on the boat!!! :thumbsup2

yes please post a pic! oh and $1 where on the ship?

I'll post pics of DD later tonight but she did 6 braids with beads (3 on each side of her head). She did straight braids and not the cornrows. She was trying to decide and she sat and watched a 7 yo have her hair done. The poor thing was crying by the time she was half way through it. The mother just kept encouraging her, telling her that she looked great. The girl just kept begging her mother to let her stop. :sad2: She took one look at that kid and told me she only wanted braids and not the cornrows.

Braids for DD were $1 each including the beads. Best bargain on the boat!!! :thumbsup2

This is the exact reason why my DD still just gets a few braids on each side of her part rather than the cornrows. It breaks my heart to see the little ones crying their eyes out because of the pain.

Hairbraiding is done on deck 9 and you make an appt. to get it done.

crying their eyes out???? :scared1: Oh my. :sad2: Maybe my dd should watch someone do it first!
Most definitely have her watch them do cornrows. This cured DD of it instantly. She hates pain. She's like her mom!! :rotfl2:

Here is one picture. I'm having a brain fart loading a better one into photobucket tonight but you can see the braids (I hope).
01-21-09359.jpg

Okay, cool it worked. I'm always so excited when it does. :rotfl2: She did 3 on one side and 3 on the other. She picked 3 different colored beads. She was so happy and the hair looked really cute when the rest was pulled back into a pony tail. She went around clacking her beads for a couple of weeks. She already told me that for the next cruise she is getting them done at the earliest time possible, then taking them out at the very end and having them re-done right before she gets off the ship. This way they last longer at home. :rotfl2: Good thing they were cheap.

It really is heartbreaking to see the girls crying getting their hair braided. :( DD has seen it way too much to have it done. In fact if we are approached on the street in port to braid her hair she just says no my mommy loves me too much. ROFL! She doesn't like for me to brush her hair in the morning and can't understand why "so many of those people want to mess with my head."

Are you able to sign up as soon as you get on board? I'd like to get them done as soon as possible so I get the best value for my dollar LOL.

Are you able to sign up as soon as you get on board? I'd like to get them done as soon as possible so I get the best value for my dollar LOL.
I'm not sure when the sign up sheet is out but just go right up to the hair braiding station on Deck 9. Any of the CMs can direct you. There is a sheet out and you just sign up.

And Lisa, I think our girls are related. I wave a hair brush in my DD's direction and she starts screaming in pain and I haven't even touched her. :rotfl2: I keep telling her that when she's 60 and all her friends have no hair she will finally appreciate her really thick hair. :rotfl:

Here's a pic of my daughter. She has a very sensitive scalp and this didn't bother her too much to have done. She loved it and it looked good throughout the cruise and for about 3 weeks after we got home. She said she would defiinitely do it again, but not get the beads just the braids

carlybraids.jpg

We had it done on the ship (by Juanita ... she was awesome!) and I liked it much better than my nieces, who had theirs done on CC.

This is beautiful!! do you remember about how much it cost to have her hair done?

Thank you ... there were 10 rows and it cost $20. ($1 per braid/$2 per cornrow) My nieces had theirs done on CC and it cost them $40 each.

They have a scrapbook to look through, too, for different ideas of braiding and beads. Can't speak for anywhere else, but Juanita (on the Magic) was fabulous with my daughter, talking to her, and making her relax, and having fun with her. She made it a really good experience for my daughter and even let me take a picture with her and my daughter when she was finished.

Please keep the pictures coming, everyone!

One more question... is braiding (cornrows) easier with dry hair, wet hair, or doesn't it matter? I was wondering if it would be best to go right after a shower? Thanks!

When I asked what we needed to do, they said the hair needed to be clean, and they have a water squirt bottle they wet the hair there at the station.

My DD also chose just the braids, not the cornrows. We loved them! They looked great, and couldn't beat the price. Even at 11 she hates the pulling, so I knew that while she loved the look of the cornrows she would hate getting them done.
pirategirl401x600.jpg

And another picture without the bandanna...
braidgirlanimators-1.jpg

s
She definitely plans on doing it again on our Eastern this year!

Hi everyone, I would just like to highly recommend that you get the braids done on the ship versus on the islands by the locals. Number one reason is that the ship has a set price and it is sanitary. But also they really do the best job...I have had my hair done twice on the DCL ships, and also on the islands at Nassau, Cozumel, and Punta Cana and the braids by Disney LOOKED SO MUCH BETTER. Seriously, I just got back from Punta Cana 2 weeks ago and I only left my braids in for a week and a half because they didn't look nearly as good as the ones I got on my DCL cruise in January. And its weird, they seemed to pull harder and hurt more in Punta Cana, and almost painless on the ship, yet the ship ones stayed tighter and looked better longer! I am absolutely getting my whole head done again on the Magic when I go this January. My other biggest tips are to make sure your hair is very clean when you go (not wet from the pool or ocean), go on the last or second to last day of your trip so it looks good for a couple weeks when you are home, and above all make sure to bring a bandana to cover them during the day to not burn your scalp between the braids.

I was wondering if any adults had the braids done? I really like the way some of these look and think they would look nice on on myself. I wouldn't leave them in for weeks, but definitly on the ship and for a short time when I got back (probably). Any pictures out there of adults with these braids?:confused3

Sorry I don't have a picture of me in my braids but I am an adult (22) and I had my entire head braided. I love that island look which totally shows off when I get home that I went on a tropical vacation. I'm not sure if getting my whole head braided is something I'll do though once I'm older and have a "real" job...right now I'm a grad student and Intern in a casual office setting, so I don't feel out of place but I doubt that I'll sport the braids when I have a dress suit job to come home to one day...but that is not anytime soon so yes I'll be braiding my hair on my upcoming cruise in January on the ship once again!

Sorry I don't have a picture of me in my braids but I am an adult (22) and I had my entire head braided. I love that island look which totally shows off when I get home that I went on a tropical vacation. I'm not sure if getting my whole head braided is something I'll do though once I'm older and have a "real" job...right now I'm a grad student and Intern in a casual office setting, so I don't feel out of place but I doubt that I'll sport the braids when I have a dress suit job to come home to one day...but that is not anytime soon so yes I'll be braiding my hair on my upcoming cruise in January on the ship once again!

Well, this makes me feel better that some adults do this. I am older than 22, but my work environment is fairly laid back (we wear jeans to work for example) and do not have to deal with seeing anyone from the outside (other than who we work with), so I think it will be ok. Don't know how my DH will react however. Don't think he will want me to do it. But I have real long hair (almost to my pants line) and I always wear the front part back or up to keep the length out of my face, so i think it would be perfect to get the front part in braids. Similiar to ones I've see here....I wonder....:upsidedow

Well, this makes me feel better that some adults do this. I am older than 22, but my work environment is fairly laid back (we wear jeans to work for example) and do not have to deal with seeing anyone from the outside (other than who we work with), so I think it will be ok. Don't know how my DH will react however. Don't think he will want me to do it. But I have real long hair (almost to my pants line) and I always wear the front part back or up to keep the length out of my face, so i think it would be perfect to get the front part in braids. Similiar to ones I've see here....I wonder....:upsidedow
I think it will be fine, and fun, for you to get your hair braided, especially given your laid back work environment. Your DH will be able to handle it for a week or 2, you’ll look great, and its not like you are going to have your hair like that for weeks or months. A good compromise for you would be to just do the front part like you said, so you are not going “all out” and since your hair is so long, it would take very long to do the whole head. My hair is about halfway down my back and very thick, and it took the braider 2 hours and 15 minutes to do mine! Whereas people who get the front done only usually take about a half hour to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter