Had to finally book with NCL because Disney wanted me to sell my house... lol

I don't want to scroll back. When and where are you going?

This coming weekend! My 85 year old father decided out of the blue he wanted to take me and my two older sisters on the Pearl 7 day Alaska cruise. It goes to Glacier Bay during the cruise. Very excited to see this part of Alaska, but very worried too as I am the only one who has cruised before! Other than picking the cruise line and date(my dad did that), I've been put in charge of all the planning!
I feel like I've done more advanced reconnoitering than some countries do before an invasion

Mom, it never hurts to explore!........I find the ending of fireworks and the ending of the Characters on the ships that had them, a big mistake for NCL, just like the alcohol change a big mistake for DCL.

They were really going at it a month or two ago.......people were really upset, as you pointed out, it is getting to be a long list.

I honestly hope you have a great time.

AKK

Yes. FIREWORKS. That one does disgust me.
(The thread I started here about NCL's fireworks did not go well... ;))

Thankfully we'll be doing a week of WDW before NCL so I believe our vacation taken as a whole will be remarkable.

(I don't care for Nickolodeon, so was actually okay with that one - but appreciate it is a loss for many.)

Just to clarify, since I've been discussing two different cruises!!
My husband and I are cruising on the Getaway on Oct 10, hence the 40th anniversary comment. I'm a woman who thankfully can't win a hairy back contest!

My father is taking my sisters and I on the Pearl, departing this Sunday to Alaska.

I will probably post reviews from both cruises on CC to pay back all the great help I've gotten from others, with trepidation!

Just to clarify, since I've been discussing two different cruises!!
My husband and I are cruising on the Getaway on Oct 10, hence the 40th anniversary comment. I'm a woman who thankfully can't win a hairy back contest!

My father is taking my sisters and I on the Pearl, departing this Sunday to Alaska.

I will probably post reviews from both cruises on CC to pay back all the great help I've gotten from others, with trepidation!
I for sure will read them. Do you have the same name over there?

Truth. I am eager to venture out from DCL because I *want* an entirely different experience. I want an entirely different vibe. I want everything to be different because I'm a bit bored with Disney. <--never thought I'd say that but finally actually saying it feels really good.

Pricing structures are different for each cruise line. One isn't better than the other. They're different. Different isn't wrong. If you don't like a company's price structure you are free to not sail with them. We could sit here debating nickels and dimes 'til the cows come home but ultimately it comes down to a very different price structure for each cruise line. Each have pros & cons. I'm not one to be a sheeple and let others decide for me. I'm smart enough to do my research and decide if I'm interested enough to give something a shot.

If NCL is going to an ala carte structure in their upcharge restaurants, that's fine. I know it and am happy to pay for what I want, no more or less.

I hope to come back here and weigh in from EXPERIENCE very soon. ;)

All cruise lines make changes. The masses never receive change well. It's human nature. It's been true on NCL this year. It's been true with CCL changing their bottled water/beverages policy. It's just as true here with the changes DCL makes. Liquor, OBB, changing Castaway Club policies, etc. etc. the list goes on. The changes are never an overall joyous thing.

I'd also like to point out something in addition to the upcharge ice cream & candy additions to the Dream. We saw upcharge items added to the menu at Palo on the WBPC. Upcharge additions in an upcharge venue. Yes. Pay the upcharge cover + items that are additional $$ above that. I think it was a new offering because it wasn't printed on the menus but offered by our server. I recall seeing upcharge items on the menu in an upcharge restaurant on Allure of the Seas in November 2013 and thinking, "Well that's tacky: money on top of money on top of money. Where does this end?" Some grumbling is going on on the CC NCL board about that of late. And now I've personally seen Disney do it, too. So for all the nay-sayers out there who think Disney is too good for a lot of what other lines do, think again. If they can pull it off, they will. They'll certainly try it and if they can make it work, it'll be done.

Very interesting about the up charge items on the Palo menu, that and the fact of the Dream's coming candy and ice cream shop, makes me wonder if all cruise lines are going in the same direction.

HI Everyone, As the original poster I wanted to let you all know that the Getaway was AMAZING !!!! The service, entertainment and kids clubs were great. My 11 year old must of done the rope course over 20 times.. I do have to say that the food was good but not superb , let me explain. I only ate at the "free" restaurants and once at the sushi bar, it was all good but nothing "wowed " me. The buffets were also good but no shrimp, crab , lobster, nada. I really didn't mind because the rest of the cruise was just incredible but I did miss having a mouth watering plate of something. DCL main dining is not always great but you do have some dishes that are our of this world ( hence, the grand manier souffle'" ).. Of course nothing like PALO but I can't really compare how I didn't do any of the specialty dining.

I will definitely cruise with them again but at the same time I can't wait until my next Disney Cruise... :o)

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Getaway! I am really looking forward to the ropes course and the slides, this grandma likes to play!

Very interesting about the up charge items on the Palo menu, that and the fact of the Dream's coming candy and ice cream shop, makes me wonder if all cruise lines are going in the same direction.
I think they're all at least ready to test the waters. ;)

I don't complain about options. Even when I think I don't like the upcharge here & there, I'm always grateful to have options. More options, upcharge or not, is where I think Disney does need to focus. At least give me the choice. Ya know? Hubby and I were discussing that over the weekend. While we found constant upcharges a bit worrisome on Allure because we weren't used to it, we will never complain about having the choices. I was soooooo glad to have more selection and choice! I was happy as a lark to pay for some of the things I wanted most.

I think they're all at least ready to test the waters. ;)

I don't complain about options. Even when I think I don't like the upcharge here & there, I'm always grateful to have options. More options, upcharge or not, is where I think Disney does need to focus. At least give me the choice. Ya know? Hubby and I were discussing that over the weekend. While we found constant upcharges a bit worrisome on Allure because we weren't used to it, we will never complain about having the choices. I was soooooo glad to have more selection and choice! I was happy as a lark to pay for some of the things I wanted most.

Agree!

It's just a change in perspective. We have enjoyed the semi inclusiveness ( it's FAR from all inclusive) of DCL's pricing structure as it allows you to put the purse strings away to some extent when on vacation which is a bonus. At first blush, some cruise lines hitting you with an upcharge for a certain item is off putting. But if you think about it a bit, you realize that if they don't add the uncharge to those that order that particular very expensive item, they would probably just increase the cost to everyone by a little bit to cover the cost of the few that did order it.

I actually think the al la carte pricing on specialty restaurants is a huge plus. I don't necessarily want a multi course meal every night. With al la carte, we can order what we normally would at a restaurant at home and just pay for that vs paying for a bunch of food that goes to waste. I would probably be much more inclined to go to specialty restaurants if they were al la carte. If I pay a flat fee, I'm supplementing the passenger that orders three apps, two entrees and still wants dessert! (not that there's anything wrong with that! :rolleyes1)

I think the audience on CC would probably overall not be accustomed to the level of detail and pace of her writing style. I'm familiar with her travel writing. It's extrememly detailed. She keeps it going for months and months.
I'll give you one exception. Do a search for any trip report written by Sailor Jack. They go on and on, and stay on Page 1 for months. And every one is as entertaining as the next. People on CC can't get enough of his writing. But other than that, I would agree that the "Dis Style" Trip Report is a bit over the top for the CC crowd.

We are cheap vacationers and it's rare for us to pay for stuff like soda and a really good steak (when we have an excellent, reasonably priced steakhouse here in Orlando). If soda isn't "free" on a cruise, the kids just don't drink it. We don't pay to see shows and we don't even go to the "free" ones on DCL anyway. As we discovered on Carnival, we can do without a LOT of the upcharge stuff, but since we pay SOOOOO much less to cruise, we can choose some things to buy for fun, like candy for the kids or drinks by the pool for me, and not feel like we are being gouged. We have a great time spending $0 extra dollars on DCL and we have a great time spending $100 extra dollars on Carnival...and coming out thousands of dollars ahead. So for this reason I'm thinking NCL will be a great fit for us. Oh, and we love wearing t-shirts, shorts, and flip flops to dinner. We are Floridians! It's all we've ever known ;)

I'll give you one exception. Do a search for any trip report written by Sailor Jack. They go on and on, and stay on Page 1 for months. And every one is as entertaining as the next. People on CC can't get enough of his writing. But other than that, I would agree that the "Dis Style" Trip Report is a bit over the top for the CC crowd.

I haven't seen this one. I don't do a lot of the reviews over there anymore because I'm so spoiled to a lot more visual stimuli (pics) than what seems to be the standard there. Maybe he's just one of their old familiar faces, more forgivable than someone new.

Also, does that person cross-post to other sites? That could be a factor, maybe. I've always avoided cross-posting just to be careful not to come off wrong. I've never posted a trip report or review here but I have written one for almost ever trip I've taken since January 2009. 8-)

I do not know. But to give you a sample, here is his most recent trip report (that I am aware of). The first post was in November. The most recent comment to it was YESTERDAY! Unlike Jen's trip report, Sailor Jack does his all in one fell swoop. So maybe that makes a difference.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2129055
Wow is that a read! No, I'm not reading it. LOL! Definitely all 1 fell swoop makes a difference. Reports like Jen's I usually wait until they're nearly done to even start reading. I used to write mine completely including photo links in Microsoft Word then copy/paste in rapid-succession chunks. I didn't do that with the Panama Canal which I regret. I feel like a grade-A jerk because I fuss about reports that take a year to complete but now I'm guilty of taking more than a few months. LOL!

Wow is that a read! No, I'm not reading it. LOL!
Do what I do. Cut and paste it into a Word Document and then change the font to a size and style that is most pleasing for you. Then print it out and read it on a plane, or in a waiting room, or before going to bed. Just like a short story. His writing truly is brilliant.

Do what I do. Cut and paste it into a Word Document and then change the font to a size and style that is most pleasing for you. Then print it out and read it on a plane, or in a waiting room, or before going to bed. Just like a short story. His writing truly is brilliant.
Good suggestion! I do have a flight coming up. :)

I don't always agree with the good Skipper, but I will on this one. While I would never try to dissuade anyone from trying any cruise line, I do find it interesting (or odd) how many people who are ready to jump off of DCL are so quick to jump on to NCL as opposed to one of the other mass market lines. NCL and Carnival are about as far removed from DCL as you can get in that regard. If one is looking to do a "180" pivot away from DCL, that is fine. But one shouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion that NCL is "DCL Light". (NCL as a whole has a 72% approval rating on CC, compared to Disney at 85%, X at 83%, Princess at 78% and RCCL at 77%.) The way they operate is very different. Intentionally. And the crowd you will be sailing with is very different. Intentionally. As long as people have an appreciation for that, they will adjust better. Personally, (and all of this is personal), I share Tonka Skipper's view that if moving away from DCL, NCL would not be my first choice. (Edit to add)...unless I was booked in The Haven, or in a Suite, which, to be honest, is the only way that I would go on NCL.

The other cruise lines have a lot more ships so the overall approval level is going to be lower. The Disney ships don't have a lot of reviews on cruise critic. The Fantasy has 95% rating, but there's only 223 reviews where as Oasis has a 83% rating, but there's 1246 reviews.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter