Had to finally book with NCL because Disney wanted me to sell my house... lol

Actually the NCL board is far from a little cranky, they have been very honest and vocal about the many many cuts and changes NCL has put in place. They are really upset. I would suggest any one new to NCL, read their forums carefully. I would, after DCL take RCCL hands down over NCL.

What is supposed to be a big money issue, is the price of the many pay to get in restaurants that will be going A LA CART in January 2016.

AKK
Well - in general I meant the trip report Jenseib is typing and rolling out both here and there. People are downright NASTY toward her, AND many of their comments are (thankfully) getting moderated away.
Also - the bickering between posters is very catty at times. Somewhat like our own TPAS board at times.
I feel (personally) that this board, and the Princess board (for example) have a different level of good sportsmanship.

Well - in general I meant the trip report Jenseib is typing and rolling out both here and there. People are downright NASTY toward her, AND many of their comments are (thankfully) getting moderated away.
Also - the bickering between posters is very catty at times. Somewhat like our own TPAS board at times.
I feel (personally) that this board, and the Princess board (for example) have a different level of good sportsmanship.

Is she the one who had the weird experience on Jewel? I think I've only read some of that here (not on CC).

When I was doing my NCL GA trip report, I only really got one heckler, who apparently only read my first few sentences (where I described both FLL and my hotel as being 'ugh', because they were) and decided that I was too depressing to deal with. Heh. (His post got deleted.) CC crowd can definitely be special. And watching the Cunard folks fight about dress codes or ballroom dance skill is popcorn-worthy.

As long as people have an appreciation for that, they will adjust better. Personally, (and all of this is personal), I share Tonka Skipper's view that if moving away from DCL, NCL would not be my first choice. (Edit to add)...unless I was booked in The Haven, or in a Suite, which, to be honest, is the only way that I would go on NCL.

We have six kids ages 2 -15.
The rock wall, waterslides, and ropes course got my attention.
The adjoining verandah staterooms for half the cost of the DCL Fantasy inside staterooms kept my attention.
The only other "contender" for so much activity (amusement park at sea) is RCCL, and I have never priced them out and had them come up much lower than DCL. If I was that close to DCL, I'd just go with DCL.

Or do the NCL and a week at WDW... which is what we ARE doing. :)

I do agree with your earlier post about the Princess clientele. It was a VERY comfortable cruise. I will undoubtedly sail them again with an adult-only trip.

JMHO, but I feel some people who only cruise DCL and poo-poo the other cruise lines, feel a sense of security with DCL, in that they are very conservative and don't want to be exposed to anything outside their comfort zone.

Agreed. There is a thread in the theme park strategy board where there are a lot of people praising WDW and saying they won't vacation anywhere else since it is well known and safe. Those of us who say yeah we like Disney but what about x, y, and z are clearly not the target audience.

I'm not sure what kind of dire subtext is supposed to be lurking under the 'very different ... intentionally' text
Nothing "dire. It's just their difference in pricing strategies and casual, freestyle atmosphere that create a different vibe. That is not to say that one is intrinsically better. But it is saying that people are naturally going to prefer one to the other. The decisions by upper management that create those differences are nothing if not intentional. There is a lot of "pay as you go" on NCL that you won't find on DCL. And there is a lot of "let's go to the main dining room in shorts, flip flops and tank tops" on NCL that you won't find on DCL. The atmosphere that the cruise line engenders is an intentional result of its policies. Don't read this as me saying that DCL is "superior" or that I am a snob. Read it as "Don't go on an NCL ship thinking that you are going to have he same experience as you will on DCL". There is nothing wrong with preferring one over the other. That is human nature. For me, (and as I said, this is personal), I prefer dressing for dinner and seeing others do the same. I know plenty of people who think that dressing for dinner is a joke and want to wear shorts and tank tops all day long. I am not right. They are not wrong. But don't jump onto NCL thinking that the DCL atmosphere will be replicated. That's all. The reason why I would not place NCL very high on my list of cruise lines is that I prefer my time on board to be more formal. For those who don't, they have a great option.

Jimmy we have disagreed.:rolleyes1 I am a DCL fan or maybe better put a DISNEY fan in general. However I have always told folks if DCL (or any line) is to expensive or if they don't feel DCL(or any line) is worth the money, time to try another line. But be aware of what the other cruise provides.

All the lines will charge the maximum the passengers will pay for their cruise. I am wondering what is going on at NCL. They are cutting things left and right, many things and they seem to think this is better then raising rates. Which presents that they cannot get more passengers/bookings. You are not going to get more passengers by lessening the product.

(Which is why I am not happy with DISNEY right now, the hqave the booking, no reason to lessen the cruise perks.)

AKK

Frankly, if NCL has a different crowd on board its ships than DCL, I'll be very happy. If that means fewer screaming, crying children who's parents feel they don't have to "parent" on vacation, and those conservative folks who think I'm an alcoholic because I drink on a cruise in view of their precious snowflakes, and so on. But I'll stop now.
Thanks. You captured what I was trying to say above, only you did it better. There will be differences, and many people will love the differences. Others will not. As long as one knows going in what they are getting, it's all good.

I guess I'll just say I saw lots of people dressed up fancy at dinner time on NCL GA (including myself unless buffet), and I will be genuinely surprised I see a higher average level of formality on DCL in a few weeks. If I do, I will definitely come back here and eat crow.

Nothing "dire. It's just their difference in pricing strategies and casual, freestyle atmosphere that create a different vibe. That is not to say that one is intrinsically better. But it is saying that people are naturally going to prefer one to the other. The decisions by upper management that create those differences are nothing if not intentional. There is a lot of "pay as you go" on NCL that you won't find on DCL. And there is a lot of "let's go to the main dining room in shorts, flip flops and tank tops" on NCL that you won't find on DCL. The atmosphere that the cruise line engenders is an intentional result of its policies. Don't read this as me saying that DCL is "superior" or that I am a snob. Read it as "Don't go on an NCL ship thinking that you are going to have he same experience as you will on DCL". There is nothing wrong with preferring one over the other. That is human nature. For me, (and as I said, this is personal), I prefer dressing for dinner and seeing others do the same. I know plenty of people who think that dressing for dinner is a joke and want to wear shorts and tank tops all day long. I am not right. They are not wrong. But don't jump onto NCL thinking that the DCL atmosphere will be replicated. That's all. The reason why I would not place NCL very high on my list of cruise lines is that I prefer my time on board to be more formal. For those who don't, they have a great option.

I, too, prefer formal dining. Um - I have rules for meals at HOME even. (NO PJs at the table!) LOL
But - I fully admit I am secretly okay with not having to pack dress clothes for my DH and boys. The girls and I will dress up some, but they can wear khakis and polos.....

Sportmanship???.now hat is a good way to put it!

I have been reading at NCL for a few months now as we have friends that love NCL, or did until recently. My wife and I want to do a Bermuda cruise out of NYC so we were looking at NCL. However the more I read, the more the cuts showed up each week and NCL fans were/ are not happy. The news about the CEO was not good. So we are doing a 5 day with RCCL.

AKK

Sportmanship???.now hat is a good way to put it!

I have been reading at NCL for a few months now as we have friends that love NCL, or did until recently. My wife and I want to do a Bermuda cruise out of NYC so we were looking at NCL. However the more I read, the more the cuts showed up each week and NCL fans were/ are not happy. The news about the CEO was not good. So we are doing a 5 day with RCCL.

AKK
Believe me - I'm paying close attention to what is being stripped away.
Since I booked we've:
*lost free magic show first night
*lost room service
*seen higher service charge (though locked in lower)
*seen Cagney's go off, but return (?) to UDP
and more.

But I still haven't lost enough to turn us away. It was genuinely half the cost of Fantasy. But since I don't think it will only be HALF as fun, I'm still good.

My assessment of the NCL board is more in regards to the snarkiness. I don't see it on this board or on Princess page. And it seems widespread.

There is a lot for a long-time NCL fan to be angry about. (Akin to long-time legacy FP users??? ;))

Thanks JimmyV, once again for the great Glacier Bay photos you posted the other day, I've been looking at them to cool down from this 90 degree heat! And thanks again to point out that there are "different strokes for different folks".
I guess we are just ready for different, and I enjoy a more laid back, casual style.
Think Jimmy Buffet lounging around in Key West
I probably will dress up a night or two on our cruise, since it will be our 40th anniversary while on the ship! But the thought of dressing up every night on a cruise is no fun for me. That said, it never bothers me too much what other people wear on a cruise.
I'll probably skip the crazy poolside contests too, but I enjoy the energy happy people bring to a ship. I may be almost 60 but the thing I fear more than anything on a cruise is a being around a bunch of old people, who are not happy unless they are complaining.
I've watched enough YouTube cruise trip videos taken on NCL that I have a good idea what to expect. It can get much louder and crazier than DCL for sure.
I expect to hear a lot more foreign languages too. But that makes me happy.
I'll be in the Haven so I can retreat to some quiet space when it suits me.
But I think the biggest thrill for me will be dining in so many different types of restaurants on a ship. All included in my fare that is half of what DCL was charging.
Happy Cruising everyone!

Thanks JimmyV, once again for the great Glacier Bay photos you posted the other day, I've been looking at them to cool down from this 90 degree heat! And thanks again to point out that there are "different strokes for different folks".
I guess we are just ready for different, and I enjoy a more laid back, casual style.
Think Jimmy Buffet lounging around in Key West
I probably will dress up a night or two on our cruise, since it will be our 40th anniversary while on the ship! But the thought of dressing up every night on a cruise is no fun for me. That said, it never bothers me too much what other people wear on a cruise.
I'll probably skip the crazy poolside contests too, but I enjoy the energy happy people bring to a ship. I may be almost 60 but the thing I fear more than anything on a cruise is a being around a bunch of old people, who are not happy unless they are complaining.
I've watched enough YouTube cruise trip videos taken on NCL that I have a good idea what to expect. It can get much louder and crazier than DCL for sure.
I expect to hear a lot more foreign languages too. But that makes me happy.
I'll be in the Haven so I can retreat to some quiet space when it suits me.
But I think the biggest thrill for me will be dining in so many different types of restaurants on a ship. All included in my fare that is half of what DCL was charging.
Happy Cruising everyone!
I don't want to scroll back. When and where are you going?

Boy you aren't kidding about the posters on CC NCL forum and Jenseib's trip report! I get the feeling they are all 99 and close to dying the way they complain about her not posting quick enough and those complaining she's not going straight to the ship part of the review, then complaining about all of her photos, which are gorgeous by the way! Whew!

Truth. I am eager to venture out from DCL because I *want* an entirely different experience. I want an entirely different vibe. I want everything to be different because I'm a bit bored with Disney. <--never thought I'd say that but finally actually saying it feels really good.

Pricing structures are different for each cruise line. One isn't better than the other. They're different. Different isn't wrong. If you don't like a company's price structure you are free to not sail with them. We could sit here debating nickels and dimes 'til the cows come home but ultimately it comes down to a very different price structure for each cruise line. Each have pros & cons. I'm not one to be a sheeple and let others decide for me. I'm smart enough to do my research and decide if I'm interested enough to give something a shot.

If NCL is going to an ala carte structure in their upcharge restaurants, that's fine. I know it and am happy to pay for what I want, no more or less.

I hope to come back here and weigh in from EXPERIENCE very soon. ;)

All cruise lines make changes. The masses never receive change well. It's human nature. It's been true on NCL this year. It's been true with CCL changing their bottled water/beverages policy. It's just as true here with the changes DCL makes. Liquor, OBB, changing Castaway Club policies, etc. etc. the list goes on. The changes are never an overall joyous thing.

I'd also like to point out something in addition to the upcharge ice cream & candy additions to the Dream. We saw upcharge items added to the menu at Palo on the WBPC. Upcharge additions in an upcharge venue. Yes. Pay the upcharge cover + items that are additional $$ above that. I think it was a new offering because it wasn't printed on the menus but offered by our server. I recall seeing upcharge items on the menu in an upcharge restaurant on Allure of the Seas in November 2013 and thinking, "Well that's tacky: money on top of money on top of money. Where does this end?" Some grumbling is going on on the CC NCL board about that of late. And now I've personally seen Disney do it, too. So for all the nay-sayers out there who think Disney is too good for a lot of what other lines do, think again. If they can pull it off, they will. They'll certainly try it and if they can make it work, it'll be done.

:goodvibes
You are going to have a great cruise! And who knows. If you have an exceptionally hairy back, you might win a contest!! :cheer2:

Here is a link to my full Trip Report from a couple of years ago. Lots more pictures of Alaska and the Yukon Territory:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1903541

Give it a read when you have an hour or two!

Believe me - I'm paying close attention to what is being stripped away.
Since I booked we've:
*lost free magic show first night
*lost room service
*seen higher service charge (though locked in lower)
*seen Cagney's go off, but return (?) to UDP
and more.

But I still haven't lost enough to turn us away. It was genuinely half the cost of Fantasy. But since I don't think it will only be HALF as fun, I'm still good.

My assessment of the NCL board is more in regards to the snarkiness. I don't see it on this board or on Princess page. And it seems widespread.

There is a lot for a long-time NCL fan to be angry about. (Akin to long-time legacy FP users??? ;))

Mom, it never hurts to explore!........I find the ending of fireworks and the ending of the Characters on the ships that had them, a big mistake for NCL, just like the alcohol change a big mistake for DCL.

They were really going at it a month or two ago.......people were really upset, as you pointed out, it is getting to be a long list.

I honestly hope you have a great time.

AKK

HI Everyone, As the original poster I wanted to let you all know that the Getaway was AMAZING !!!! The service, entertainment and kids clubs were great. My 11 year old must of done the rope course over 20 times.. I do have to say that the food was good but not superb , let me explain. I only ate at the "free" restaurants and once at the sushi bar, it was all good but nothing "wowed " me. The buffets were also good but no shrimp, crab , lobster, nada. I really didn't mind because the rest of the cruise was just incredible but I did miss having a mouth watering plate of something. DCL main dining is not always great but you do have some dishes that are our of this world ( hence, the grand manier souffle'" ).. Of course nothing like PALO but I can't really compare how I didn't do any of the specialty dining.

I will definitely cruise with them again but at the same time I can't wait until my next Disney Cruise... :o)

I think the audience on CC would probably overall not be accustomed to the level of detail and pace of her writing style. I'm familiar with her travel writing. It's extrememly detailed. She keeps it going for months and months. Admittedly, there is a point where I find the pace slow for my taste so I either skim or don't read. I also have a little pet peeve for reports that take long periods of time to complete (months --> years). Often if I see an interesting report I'll wait until it's finished to start reading. Also, admittedly, for the first time ever I'm guilty of this transgression as I haven't finished my most recent trip report either just because I lost interest. I'll call myself out on that right now. LOL!

I'm no expert but I've known CC to be a tougher, less forgiving audience than the Dis. Dis is the same tougher, less forgiving than other forums. It seems to be relative to the size of membership. That's been my correlation. These are things I've picked up on and understood. So, if you're going to throw yourself out there be prepared it might not be the same as you've experienced on other forums. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter