• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Guaranteed connecting rooms

chic mama

Mouseketeer
I have one reservation with 2 rooms at CSR for 2 adults, 2 preschoolers, and 2 infants. Our reservation states "Guaranteed Connecting Rooms" but I've read on the boards that Disney won't guarantee that, even if it's in writing, and we may be out of luck! We have to have our rooms connecting as we need 2 cribs (they will only put one per room) and I need to be able to feed each of the babies in the night. Will disney do something to make it right if we don't get connecting rooms?! ie - find connecting rooms?! Anything I should do before we get there for check in?!

They will do everything they can to get you connecting rooms and it's highly likely that you will. However, as you have read connecting rooms are not guaranteed. I have first hand experience (twice) with having the "Guaranteed" in writing and not getting our connecting rooms. The resort was at capacity and there was nothing they could do.

We requested connecting rooms once and were granted them (this was during a peak time - 3rd week of July). We were guaranteed connecting rooms during a different trip, and that was also granted. The reason we were guaranteed is because we had one room with the oldest person being 16 (the adult originally in the room had to cancel due to health).

If I recall, when kids outnumber the adults, connecting rooms are given. Sounds like you will qualify!

No, kids outnumbering adults doesn't guarantee connecting rooms. The adults can split up into separate rooms if required. There have even been (rare) reports of solo adults with too many minors for a single room who've gotten non-connecting rooms.

We are a family of 6 and have always gotten our connecting rooms - always. Outside of Disney - some hotels charge to guarantee connecting rooms - but not if you have more kids then will fit in the room. We have been to Disney dozens of times and always got it. You should be fine.

They will do everything they can to get you connecting rooms and it's highly likely that you will. However, as you have read connecting rooms are not guaranteed.

No, kids outnumbering adults doesn't guarantee connecting rooms. The adults can split up into separate rooms if required. There have even been (rare) reports of solo adults with too many minors for a single room who've gotten non-connecting rooms.

Both of the above are correct. The chances are probably pretty good you will get them, but there is also a slight chance you will not as connecting rooms are just a request and are not guaranteed (regardless of what you are told or what is in print). With that said, they will try their best to accommodate that request. One suggestion is if you check in and aren't given connecting rooms, you can always go back to the front desk to see if connecting is available. Sometimes requests get overlooked and while you might not be assigned connecting, they may be available. This is not a guarantee, but it's worth a try. Good luck.

You got your information already but if for some reason you don't get them, move both the cribs into the room with you and take care of your family. Continue to request connecting rooms daily, several times a day. Offer to move if need be. Just so you know, I have twins as well. We were never told in 7 trips using cribs that we couldn't have two in a room. We put 2 full size cribs on a value room once. It was tight, yes, but it can fit. Not sure where you are staying but it may be more of a question regarding occupancy numbers.

Here's the deal....it's the difference between bookable categories and requests that causes the confusion.

For example, bunk bed rooms at WL are a bookable category. Let's say there are 25 bunk bed rooms at the resort (just a random number, I have no idea how many there are). When you call and book one of those rooms for this Thursday, the system removes a room from the total available. Now there are 24 available for Thursday. When all of the rooms are booked for that day, the next person who calls is out of luck - they are told that there are no more bunk bed rooms available for Thursday, and can't book one.

Requests are a whole 'nother thing. If there are 200 connecting room pairs at Pop (again, just a number), there's nothing in the system to prevent 210 guests from requesting them for the same night. 10 guests aren't going to get connecting rooms.

Now, I have no idea if they prioritize requests by family configuration, number of adults, etc. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but if you get there and all of the connecting rooms are occupied......your 'guaranteed' room ain't so guaranteed.

The bottom line is, they will certainly try their best to accommodate your requests, and most people who request connecting rooms get them. But it is possible that you will get non-connecting rooms.

If it's absolutely imperative that your entire family be together in the same room or connected rooms, the only way you can truly guarantee it is by booking a single room that holds your entire family.

Hotelier hat on. Guaranteeing connecting rooms is difficult in any hotel because the connecting rooms have to be available at checkin time. Here's a simplified example.

You have 4 rooms A<>B C<>D. A and B connect and C and D connect but not B and C. To get a connecting room on your checkin day both parties in either A and B or C and D have to checkout, or all parties in either ABC or BCD. That's four possibilities out of a total of twelve or a 33% chance. In other words, the odds are against you.

Most non-resort hotels generally have 1-2 night stays meaning there is a higher probability of a connecting pair opening up. However, with a resort hotel like Disney that has a large percentage of parties staying 3-14 days it's less likely that the rooms will be vacated in the right combinations. It's actually surprising how well they do but it's also why they really shouldn't guarantee it.

We have received connecting rooms each time we made the request. I think you will be fine.

Here's the deal....it's the difference between bookable categories and requests that causes the confusion.

For example, bunk bed rooms at WL are a bookable category. Let's say there are 25 bunk bed rooms at the resort (just a random number, I have no idea how many there are). When you call and book one of those rooms for this Thursday, the system removes a room from the total available. Now there are 24 available for Thursday. When all of the rooms are booked for that day, the next person who calls is out of luck - they are told that there are no more bunk bed rooms available for Thursday, and can't book one.

Requests are a whole 'nother thing. If there are 200 connecting room pairs at Pop (again, just a number), there's nothing in the system to prevent 210 guests from requesting them for the same night. 10 guests aren't going to get connecting rooms.

Now, I have no idea if they prioritize requests by family configuration, number of adults, etc. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but if you get there and all of the connecting rooms are occupied......your 'guaranteed' room ain't so guaranteed.

The bottom line is, they will certainly try their best to accommodate your requests, and most people who request connecting rooms get them. But it is possible that you will get non-connecting rooms.

If it's absolutely imperative that your entire family be together in the same room or connected rooms, the only way you can truly guarantee it is by booking a single room that holds your entire family.

Great post! Thanks for sharing!

Great info. Fingers crossed for our trip. Family of 5, connecting rooms requested for Pop Century. Not dire...Kids are 12, 13, & 15 but it will be great to have connecting rooms.

I did on-line check in and put my preferences but called and asked them to make a note that CONNECTING ROOMS is my top request, above anything else.

Good luck OP. Hope we both have stress free check-ins!

We have received connecting rooms each time we made the request. I think you will be fine.

I haven't, so it does happen on occasion. The odds are great of getting them when requested, but it is not a given.

Unfortunately Disney won't see anything that they have to make right if you don't get connecting rooms. Their web site states that they are not guaranteed. Which is why I think it is beyond wrong that they continue to put "guaranteed" on any reservation. Nothing is guaranteed, not even that you will get the room type you book, or that you will get a room at the resort you booked. Everything is subject to availability.

I agree with the poster who stated that if you absolutely have to be all together, the best thing to do is get one unit that will hold your family. Be it a family suite at one of the values, or a DVC unit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter