Grand Floridian vs Beach Club

I would really appreciate some input on these resorts, as I'm completely torn. My husband and I will be taking our (then) 19 month old little girl for a week in Oct. 2017. My parents will be joining us- we're hoping to get connecting rooms.

My dad will be attending a conference (I believe at the conference center by the Beach Club) most of the week. The rest of us plan on spending the days primarily at MK and AK. I've heard amazing things about the GF and have always wanted to stay there. Plus, the monorail would probably be a huge plus with a toddler that will need a midday nap. But, the BC would be more convenient for my dad (although they are completely ok with staying at the GF if that's what we want). My parents are planning on watching our baby after she goes to bed, so my husband and I hope to spend time at the various parks at night. I like that Epcot is so close to the BC.

So....given those factors, which would you pick?

We've stayed at both and both are nice resorts. The GF is my favorite of the two, but I think I'd go with the BC in your situation. We love the MK area and staying on the monorail, but the BC would be easier/more convenient for your dad getting to the conference. It would also be nice for you and your DH to go to Epcot and/or the boardwalk for nightly entertainment after your DD goes to sleep. Good luck!

Thank you all so much for your input! I didn't realize it would be so difficult to get from GF to the BC with Disney transportation. My mom called the conference coordinators...apparently they will have special conference specific buses that will be running constantly back and forth between the conference center and the various resorts. So while the BC would still be easier for him, at least the GF wouldn't be terribly inconvenient.

Restaurants is another thing I didn't really consider. We will be getting the DDP and plan on doing TS meals most evenings. I've been so focused on picking a resort that I haven't researched restaurants much. It sounds like the BC has a lot more options for eating. If we stayed at the GF, are there enough good restaurants around (either resorts or at MK)? Our tentative plan is to do parks in the morning, come back around lunch for naps/swimming, and then we could go back out for dinner somewhere else (for example- I was thinking, if we were at the GF, about heading to epcot for dinner and spending an hour or so walking around before my daughter's bedtime). Is that unrealistic with transportation, etc? Do most people just eat dinner in the area around their resorts?

I don't know how I will make this decision! I think we'll all be discussing this weekend. Thanks again!

We love the Beach Club and have stayed there many times. I do think the GF is a beautiful resort and always think about staying there, but can never pull myself away from the Epcot area. The one thing about WDW is that travel time is always longer than you would think. The GF itself does have great dining options onsite and you can easily get to the Poly or Contemporary by the monorail (as well as MK) so you should have plenty of options. If you do stay at GF, make sure to do 1900 Park Fare for either breakfast or dinner. I found the food to be very good and the character interaction is great.

One thing to consider is that the monorail can be unreliable. It has been known to not be working in the mornings or to break down so that could throw a kink in your plans if that was to happen. It is also not that easy to get over to Epcot for dinner. You would need to take the resort monorail to the TTC and change to the Epcot Monorail. Then once you arrive at Epcot, most of the restaurants are in World Showcase so you want to need to walk through Future world to even get to the countries. Plus you would need to the whole trip in reverse to get back to the GF at the end of the night. With the BC, you have restaurants at BC/YC, Boardwalk, DHS all within a very quick walk. Also when you go to Epcot, the entrance will already be in World Showcase so you don't need to walk as far and when you finish, you can just walk back to your resort. I really think it comes down to where you think you will spend the majority of your time and what types of places you want to eat at. I would check out various menus online at the restaurants at MK/Monorail resorts and the same for Epcot area and make a decision from there.

Have a great trip!

I would chose the BC. As others have noted the location near Epcot and DHS combined with Stormalong Bay makes it tough to beat. Yes, the GF is a marvelous resort but for adults I believe that the Epcot resorts offer the best location on site.

Being able to wander over to Epcot in the evening is quite pleasant.

And your Dad will greatly appreciate staying at the conference hotel.

Especially with Uber now in WDW, getting adults around the resort is easy. Getting a toddler, a stroller and all of their stuff around is an entirely different matter. What I would do is figure out where you will be most of the time with your daughter and pick a resort from there. When my DS was younger, we would go to the parks early, leave after lunch, nap at the resort and either go back to a park that was close to our resort or eat in a restaurant close to our resort. By the time I got back to the resort with all the stuff, took the nap, etc., I really had no interest in re-packing everything and traveling too far afield. So, in the MK resort area we would typically eat at a monorail resort and/or go back into MK. In the EP resort area, we would eat at one of the EP resorts or in EP/DHS.

After many, many trips (most of the early ones at MK resorts), we finally settled in on EP resorts (where we now stay 85%) of the time. I cannot tell you how nice it is to get back to the resort and, when you are ready to go out again, simply walk/stroll to the tons of restaurants and two parks within walking distance. There is SO much to do in that area - so many restaurants, entertainment on the Boardwalk, EP, DHS. It makes life SO much easier. I think, personally, I would stay at BC, use the buses to get to MK and AK and then plan to spend most of your afternoons/evenings in the EP/DHS area.

Thank you all so much for your input! I didn't realize it would be so difficult to get from GF to the BC with Disney transportation. My mom called the conference coordinators...apparently they will have special conference specific buses that will be running constantly back and forth between the conference center and the various resorts. So while the BC would still be easier for him, at least the GF wouldn't be terribly inconvenient.

Restaurants is another thing I didn't really consider. We will be getting the DDP and plan on doing TS meals most evenings. I've been so focused on picking a resort that I haven't researched restaurants much. It sounds like the BC has a lot more options for eating. If we stayed at the GF, are there enough good restaurants around (either resorts or at MK)? Our tentative plan is to do parks in the morning, come back around lunch for naps/swimming, and then we could go back out for dinner somewhere else (for example- I was thinking, if we were at the GF, about heading to epcot for dinner and spending an hour or so walking around before my daughter's bedtime). Is that unrealistic with transportation, etc? Do most people just eat dinner in the area around their resorts?

I don't know how I will make this decision! I think we'll all be discussing this weekend. Thanks again!

Oh my gosh, the restaurant options are very good around the monorail.

It sounds like your dad can get around easily, so I would spend a little time thinking about where the rest of the family will spend most of the time. Think about your days, the parks, and if you want to plan resort or off time. WHere would you spend that time. As I said earlier, as a Nana, I would choose the Grand, but that is based on my own personal ideas of how I would spend time with a little one. Looking at your plan, I think that BC would work better for you. You can return to the resort and spend time at the pool, which resembles a beach, really. The baby can nap, and then a five minute walk to Epcot for dinner, and a stroll. I would try for a room with a balcony, but they are not easy to be assigned. I am not familiar with the patio rooms, but you could ask aboaut one of them. THe area is just beautiful, so having a spot to sit and relax while the baby sleeps woudl be a nice way for Mom and Dad to spend the evening while you and you DH have an evening out.

FWIW, my DH and I have vacationed with our DD and her family, and whenever we could we tossed them out and stayed with our precious little DGD. I just want to reinforce what your parents have probably told you, they want you two to leave and enjoy the evenings while the baby sleeps.

Most people go all over the place for dining reservation. I've actually never heard of anyone just sticking close to their resort for dinner reservations every night. Not to say it doesn't happen, but Disney offers so many varieties, it's just not something I've heard of. Epcot itself has some wonderful places to eat, but the monorail resorts all offer a ton of options (character meals - 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey's, 'Ohana breakfast, as well as a variety of restaurants from the very nice - California Grill - to the family friendly - Kona). I don't think you can go wrong with either.

As a pp mentioned, there are a lot of great dining options at the GF, as well as at the Poly and CR. There's also the WL close by with Whispering Canyon and Artist Point. We find more variety in the MK area than the Epcot area, but that's just us. With that said, I don't think you'd have any trouble with TS options staying at the BC as Epcot is right there if you don't mind going back into a park for dinner.

We love the Beach Club and have stayed there many times. I do think the GF is a beautiful resort and always think about staying there, but can never pull myself away from the Epcot area. The one thing about WDW is that travel time is always longer than you would think. The GF itself does have great dining options onsite and you can easily get to the Poly or Contemporary by the monorail (as well as MK) so you should have plenty of options. If you do stay at GF, make sure to do 1900 Park Fare for either breakfast or dinner. I found the food to be very good and the character interaction is great.

One thing to consider is that the monorail can be unreliable. It has been known to not be working in the mornings or to break down so that could throw a kink in your plans if that was to happen. It is also not that easy to get over to Epcot for dinner. You would need to take the resort monorail to the TTC and change to the Epcot Monorail. Then once you arrive at Epcot, most of the restaurants are in World Showcase so you want to need to walk through Future world to even get to the countries. Plus you would need to the whole trip in reverse to get back to the GF at the end of the night. With the BC, you have restaurants at BC/YC, Boardwalk, DHS all within a very quick walk. Also when you go to Epcot, the entrance will already be in World Showcase so you don't need to walk as far and when you finish, you can just walk back to your resort. I really think it comes down to where you think you will spend the majority of your time and what types of places you want to eat at. I would check out various menus online at the restaurants at MK/Monorail resorts and the same for Epcot area and make a decision from there.

Have a great trip!

This exactly!

We did a Poly/BC split last trip. We loved both resorts but the BC was absolutely amazing. You can't beat the walk to Epcot. Do not count on the monorail. It is down at times and sometimes starts late or ends early.

I would choose the Grand Floridian.

Babies/toddlers tend to be very fussy before the mid day nap if their routine is "off" and the bus ride from MK to BC will seem like an eternity if that is the case. The monorail or boat back to GF would be much quicker and less stressful.

Your parents will be guaranteed a balcony to sit and watch the little one at night while you and DH are visiting the parks. While on the balcony, they will have beautiful views and get to hear the EWP and the nightly MK fireworks. They can also take the little one for long strolls if needed around the beautiful paths at GF that also lead to the Poly. They can also spend downtime in the GF lobby listening to great music.

While BC is great for playing in the sand during the day at SAB, it is also very crowded IMO. I feel the Alice in Wonderland water play area is less crowded.

Not to be overlooked is the ability to do laundry with ease if needed as each building has its own laundry room.(except SL)

GF also has more sit down restaurants in the hotel and you are more likely to get a last minute ressie at them because staying the the GF gives you priority over other walk-ups I believe.

Good Luck :-)

Thank you all so much! It was a tough decision, as I honestly think we would be really happy at either resort. We ended up booking the Grand Floridian, primarily due to it being a monorail resort and I think that will likely be a little easier (hopefully!) for getting back for naps. I was still a bit on the fence, but my decision was confirmed when I went to book. We used my grandfather's CM friends and family discount, and the GF ended up being almost $1000 less for our stay than the BC! Yay!

You really can't go wrong with either resort. If you do stay at the BC you also have the restaurants that are a short walk away in the Swan and Dolphin which are very good. Also you could walk into Epcot and eat in any of the countries. Whatever you choose have a wonderful trip!

Saw your reply after I posted my reply. Enjoy the GF, it is a beautiful resort and you will love it! We own DVC there and have stayed many times. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter