Grand Floridian vs Beach Club

Gracie'smom85

Earning My Ears
I would really appreciate some input on these resorts, as I'm completely torn. My husband and I will be taking our (then) 19 month old little girl for a week in Oct. 2017. My parents will be joining us- we're hoping to get connecting rooms.

My dad will be attending a conference (I believe at the conference center by the Beach Club) most of the week. The rest of us plan on spending the days primarily at MK and AK. I've heard amazing things about the GF and have always wanted to stay there. Plus, the monorail would probably be a huge plus with a toddler that will need a midday nap. But, the BC would be more convenient for my dad (although they are completely ok with staying at the GF if that's what we want). My parents are planning on watching our baby after she goes to bed, so my husband and I hope to spend time at the various parks at night. I like that Epcot is so close to the BC.

So....given those factors, which would you pick?

Grand Floridian is an amazing resort, but Beach Club is exceptional as well. With the transportation options available am no longer concerned about how you will get to each park. I have found that none of them are any better than the others in terms of time or convenience. As great as GF is, you can save a few points (not many though) by going with BC. The pool is by far the best of all the resorts. Your daughter will love playing in the "sand" on the "beach." I say it that way because the "beach" is built into the pool area, and actually the entire pool has a "sandy" bottom that is made out of some sort of composite sand material that is really pretty cool. The resort is beautiful, and the rooms are fantastic. Additionally, you and your husband could walk to the Boardwalk one evening since you will have a baby sitter. There are several great places to enjoy a meal and/or a drink. There is also a pretty decent view of the nightly Epcot fireworks from the pool area if I remember correctly (as you said, it is relatively close). We are probably going during the same time frame to try and check out the Not-So-Spooky Halloween Party this year.

We have stayed at both and the Beach Club is very nice, but the Grand Floridian was fantastic. We didn't think we would like GF and everything about it was glorious! :cloud9:

Being on the monorail does help with a toddler for sure, although the walk to Epcot and DHS from BC are awesome in their own right, and you never have to worry breakdowns or downtime like you do with the monorail.

I don't know...if we were picking between the two, we would go GF for sure, but we really liked BC too. You can't go wrong. Good luck deciding!

I like both, and both have really positive reasons to choose one over the other. Given that your parents will be staying with the baby in the evenings, and that you will be spending most of your time in DAK or MK, I would choose the Grand. I think that the lobby offers so much in regards to entertainment, the grounds are gorgeous and relaxing, this would be my choice.

When we stay at the Beach Club we take the monorail to Magic Kingdom and back. You just enter Epcot thru International Gateway and then catch the Monorail outside the main entrance to Epcot. We prefer the walk and monorail to taking a bus. We do love to walk though. (I'm one of those people who parks far away from the store entrance to get my steps in). And you would have to have park hopper tickets. Just another perspective to consider.

I believe the conference center is technically at the Yacht Club? The Beach Club and Yacht Club are part of the same resort complex and share the Storm Along Bay (SAB) pool complex which is generally considered to be the best pool complex of all the resorts. However, the GF has the newish Alice in Wonerland kids splash area which would probably be quite attractive for your 19 month old.
What type of transportation will your dad have from his conference at the YC/BC back and forth to the GF? If he has a car, no biggie, but if not it's really hard to get from resort to resort using Disney transportation. For example, to get from the YC/BC back to a room at the GF your dad would have to bus to the MK then hike over to the boats or monorail and then ride to the GF and from there hike to whichever outbuilding your rooms were in (unless you go CL at the GF and are in the main building.) To get from the GF to the YC/BC is even harder using Disney transportation. You can bus from GF to Epcot (assuming his meetings start late morning after Epcot opens) or DHS (assuming buses have started running early enough for DHS) and then walk through Epcot or boat/walk from DHS to YC/BC.
Personally I would lean towards the YC/BC for this trip unless your dad will have a car.

I agree with @sndral - resort to resort transportation is difficult, making it even more difficult would be first thing in the morning as the buses and other modes of transportation haven't yet woken up. The only way I'd make dad commute would be if I was putting him in a cab each morning -- getting back would be oh so easy - he could do as suggested and take the monorail right to the TTC - which is adjacent to the Poly and a short 5-8 minute walk from the GF or jump on the resorts monorail from there as the first stop is the poly and the next is the GF, he could take a bus to the MK and then jump on the resorts monorail from there, or he could jump on one of boats from the MK to the GF as well. Or, most likely of all -- he could meet you at whatever park you are at.

My two cents,

Tom

I've never stayed in either (though will hopefully be at GF in December), but from a transportation stand-point, I'd say get park-hoppers if you do the Grand. That way your dad can always walk to Epcot and ride the monorail to the resort when he's done with his conference.

ETA: Ah. I hadn't thought of getting TO the conference in the morning.

I'd probably go with Beach Club then. I'd get park-hoppers regardless. When you're right there next to two parks and only a monorail ride away from the third, it just makes sense to me. YMMV.

We have stayed at both and prefer the BC. When you stay at the GF you are dependent on transportation to get anywhere. And you are limited to the restaurants at GF unless you want to travel somewhere. And taking two monorails to get to Epcot was a pain. We really liked the elegance of the GF but hated trying to get to Epcot.

The BC has two parks and lots of dining options within walking distance. We found that it is much easier to take a bus to MK from the BC than to travel around GF.

And it will be much more pleasant for your Dad if you stay at the BC or YC.

When we stay at the Beach Club we take the monorail to Magic Kingdom and back. You just enter Epcot thru International Gateway and then catch the Monorail outside the main entrance to Epcot. We prefer the walk and monorail to taking a bus. We do love to walk though. (I'm one of those people who parks far away from the store entrance to get my steps in). And you would have to have park hopper tickets. Just another perspective to consider.

I do the same thing to get to MK, and often grab a delicious Epcot snack and drink on the way.

Its going to a pain for your dad to go hotel to hotel for his conference unless he uses a taxi or Uber, which is absolutely what I'd do. I think that the pool and the convenience of the BC would be the winner.

Beach Club. It's a better overall resort and the walking to two parks is a much better perk than the monorail that is pretty unreliable. At 19 months, your child isn't going to care, but IMO, the BC pool is FAR more toddler friendly.

And being where the convention is happening is hugely important. Save the GF for next time.

Stayed at both and I don't think the Beach Club even compares to the Grand Floridian, even with young children. The Grand Floridian is my happy place and I don't think I would ever stay elsewhere again.......except, perhaps in the circumstances you describe. It will be a major pain for your dad to commute. I also think there are more "date night" type opportunities near the Beach Club (Epcot, Boardwalk, Hollywood Studios, etc.) so that would be an added factor. Also, at your daughter's age, my kids liked Epcot just as much (if not better) than MK.

IF my dad REALLY didn't care, I think I would still vote Grand Floridian because I think it is that much nicer, but it is a tough call given your circumstances.

Good luck!!!

GF is nicer. but the beach club has a much better location. Walk to epcot and boat to Hollywood is the best, If you want to go to MK they drop you off at the entry. Follow the ressies, yacht club and beach club are the first to sell out

Grand Floridian will make you feel special. Being in front of 7 seas lagoon and seeing the castle from the resort, the beautiful grounds, hearing the train from the magic kingdom, the beachsand walkway to the Polynesian, you will be surrounded by the Disney magic. Even my brother who was never interested in the grand Floridian said it was amazing after staying there. when I showed him beach club he said it was nice but didn't seem like anything special. I'm sure the walkway to epcot would be great and the beach club pool will be fantastic but coming home to the grand after a beautiful night at the magic kingdom is a wonderful feeling and staple of my Disney vacations.

Personally, I'll vote away from the majority and say GF. If you're going to have a toddler at MK all week, you can't beat the hotels with MK access. But I'm also the type that - if I had a convention at BC - I would love taking the monorail everyday and walking through Epcot to get to BC. Stop at Starbucks, grab a crepe if World Showcase is opening up, try and squeeze in a ride on Soarin' before I'm due at the convention lol! But that's me.

Personally, I'll vote away from the majority and say GF. If you're going to have a toddler at MK all week, you can't beat the hotels with MK access. But I'm also the type that - if I had a convention at BC - I would love taking the monorail everyday and walking through Epcot to get to BC. Stop at Starbucks, grab a crepe if World Showcase is opening up, try and squeeze in a ride on Soarin' before I'm due at the convention lol! But that's me.

It is highly likely that the Conference will start most morning too early for this plan to work.
I say the BC or YC for this trip. I think the location is wonderful with 2 parks within walking distance, the date night opportunities are far more extensive, the sand area at SAB is great for toddlers, and most importantly is the conference commute. The GF would be a difficult or add expense, in the morning in particular.
Have Fun

Grand Floridian is amazing, has the easy monorail access, and a fun play area at the pool. That would be my vote.
Beach Club is great, but GF is incredible.
You can't go wrong with either of them, enjoy your trip!

Beach Club. It's a better overall resort and the walking to two parks is a much better perk than the monorail that is pretty unreliable. At 19 months, your child isn't going to care, but IMO, the BC pool is FAR more toddler friendly.

And being where the convention is happening is hugely important. Save the GF for next time.

Personally I would hate to have to commute to my conference. When I go to meetings I insist on staying at least within walking distance.

Both are great. But, with our kid when she was that age, she loved sand, and at the beach club you not only have the beaches, you have the sand at the pool to enjoy. Also, buses were never tough with her (she really liked the buses).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter