Golf is boring without Tiger

But it's the Masters! The crowd is just on its feet here. He's a Cinderella boy. Tears in his eyes, I guess, as he lines up this last shot. He's got about 195 yards left, and he's got a, looks like he's got about an 8 iron. This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Champion. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!
So completely well deserved! I remember watching him
As a 19 year old
Kid. He would run and jump
To follow his shot. Congrats to Sergio!

Tiger was a terrible example of sportsmanship ..
I'm quite sure if indeed less people are viewing it's not because of him. Unless he appealed to some warped minds for his poor behaviour on and off the course.

He certainly was a bag of problems but I agree in that I enjoyed watching him play. Honestly it's kind of sad his present state.

No it doesn't.
I think it shows that many people stopped watching once Tiger failed to show up healthy and ready to play. It would be a strange coincidence if it were something else but I gues it could, but what? The man showed up ready and prepared for each tournament he entered and he came to win each and every one, he wasn't happy just to do well. That changed things for the old timers who were happy to win sometimes. Jeff Gorden did the same for auto racing.

Golf definitely loses the casual fans without Tiger, that can't be disputed.

That's a different story than simply saying that golf is boring without Tiger. Golf is either boring or not boring, depending on the viewer, regardless of who is playing it. Last night's finish was by far not boring - it was two exceptional golfers going shot for shot down the stretch of a major, with the added bonus of Sergio's story included. :)

Could you guess that I'm an avid golfer? Don't miss Tiger a bit. Got sick and tired of seeing him all the time even when he wasn't in it to the exclusion of everyone else. He was also terrible to the fans, couldn't be bothered with them. I think golf is much more interesting now that he is gone.

IMO the broadcasters and advertisers most of all attempt to craft players the audience will tune in for. I strongly suspect Jordan Spieth is the current prince they're waiting to crown. It was very obvious yesterday when he was in the second from last group and virtually disappeared from coverage, even when for a while they were still showing his playing partner until his collapse as well. I assumed they were going to be forced to show him at the end when they only had 4 golfers left on the course, but they very artfully tailored what they showed. I think they want to keep his "brand" strong in the public mind and not dilute it with a less than stellar showing yesterday.

In my mind it's probably a good thing he suffered another defeat yesterday. He's 23 years old. A non stop rocket of success did nothing for Tiger's personal life. Maybe staying hungry and learning to stay the course is healthy for Jordan and a lot of other players. Doesn't mean they aren't great golfers and will never taste success. Jordan already has. A little humble pie is good for the soul IMO. I think that gives an interested audience a lot to tune in and root for. Look at the celebration for Sergio yesterday.

Golf is boring PERIOD.

I will watch the celebrity golf tournaments though because they are fun and the players goof around with the gallery.

Or that Tiger ended up tarnishing golf for a lot of the audience.

Winning 14 majors is tarnishing golf? His personal life has nothing to do with what he accomplished. Heck look at the current #1 player Dustin Johnson who goes around banging wives of other players.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter